• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps |OT| Obey The Owl

Bartski

Gold Member
Finished it yesterday and I'm totally blown away, this might seriously be my GOTY so far and I can't believe I'm saying this about a PEGI 7 platformer...
How the traversal and combat come together make it a true masterpiece, also boss encounters are some of the best I've seen in a while going way beyond the genre...
This is the equivalent of Sonic or Bandicoot of Microsoft, congrats!
Even the audio being glitchy AF didn't ruin it for me. No.1 thing on their list now I see.
I guess I was somehow lucky this time and didn't encounter any serious problems (PC, Radeon 580)... some weird physics in places, platforms dangling on spiderwebs can behave real strange,
spongy stones, map not updating broken barriers and showing NPCs where they aren't, stuff like that, no biggie... What I HATE the most tho is progression bugs, inkwater marsh stuck at 99% even tho everything is complete... Shame cause all that aside it's an amazing product released couple of months too early. Those who wait and play it when it's fully patched up are in for an amazing time.

Roberts

Finished it. Together with Sekiro, this is my favorite game in the last few years. Simply astonishing achievement and such an incredible journey. Speaking of glitches or inperfections, yes, it takes a second or two to load a map and I had a few second long freeze twice near the end, but otherwise the game felt very smooth on X.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've been playing a while (mostly on One X), and to my surprise it's even better than the first. It almost gives me chills. It's pretty much an amazing game (even with a random "freeze" now and then, on ext SSD), one of the best platformers to come out in many years.

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
I'm a bit confused at the part I'm at:

I got to the part where Ku is attacked and I need to find all of the wisps in order to heal her. There's the four waypoints and I assumed I could tackle them in any order, so I went to the desert area first. I've combed through the whole area like it's Spaceballs and then got to the objective and it says I need 4 wisps to enter. But I thought that behind that door was a dungeon where I would find one of the wisps?

So now I'm guessing I do have to do each objective in a specific order and maybe each door I find requires less wisps to open? Idk I think I missed something an NPC said maybe.

Last edited:

BigLee74

I got to the part where Ku is attacked and I need to find all of the wisps in order to heal her. There's the four waypoints and I assumed I could tackle them in any order, so I went to the desert area first. I've combed through the whole area like it's Spaceballs and then got to the objective and it says I need 4 wisps to enter. But I thought that behind that door was a dungeon where I would find one of the wisps?

So now I'm guessing I do have to do each objective in a specific order and maybe each door I find requires less wisps to open? Idk I think I missed something an NPC said maybe.

Just did exactly the same. I think that's the end area, so go and get the others first! I don't think the game does a very good job of showing you what to do, so I'm never really sure if I can't get past a bit because I'm not meant too, or lacking in skill! A tiny bit frustrating.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Yeah the game’s a tad ambiguous. That happened to me as well and was frustrating. It’s really meant to be done north (ice), west (luma pools), south (dark area), then the desert.

Though I think technically you can do the pools first but believe a shard that makes it much easier purchasable in the village doesn’t unlock until after the ice area is completed. Plus an ability you get in the ice level seems to be needed to get to areas.

Last edited:

dok1or

Same! I just finished it like 5 minutes ago. Can't believe I was sleeping on this classic for so many years.

And second one is better in every aspect...
Only, I miss soul orb saving! This autosave makes game easier!

But combat and platforming is so much better...
Oh and graphics; first one is beautiful but this one is just incredible... ANd small amount if Image Sharpening
No problem on PC with RX 5700 XT - 75 FPS

Last edited:

God Enel

I’m currently playing the first one and i love it soo much. Dunno why I haven’t started earlier with it.

Gonna play the 2nd one for sure once I finish the blind forest

PanzerAzel

And second one is better in every aspect...
Only, I miss soul orb saving! This autosave makes game easier!

But combat and platforming is so much better...
Oh and graphics; first one is beautiful but this one is just incredible... ANd small amount if Image Sharpening
No problem on PC with RX 5700 XT - 75 FPS

I found the soul link only made it more difficult due to my forgetfulness rather than any implementation of actual skill, which really isn’t difficulty, it’s simply needless frustration and repetition due to being absent-minded. Though I will admit it was often nice to be able to save immediately after a difficult part, but the checkpoints here are liberal and well placed enough.

One gripe I do have about the new save system is it will often spawn you in the middle of a pack of enemies. But having an extra face button for abilities makes it all worth it. Being able to swap them out on the fly to change strategies at a moment’s notice is easily one of, if not the, best improvements from the first game.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Are you able to tackle areas in any order? I can’t remember how part 1 was in this regard.
I believe Luma Pools and Mouldwood are interchangeable (you don’t need any abilities for the latter, but for Luma you need something sold at the village and the ability you get in Baur’s Keep).

So Baur’s first, then either Luma or Mouldwood as preferred, then desert.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Deepnest ain’t got shit on Mouldwood depths.

Hahaha I thought exactly the same thing while going through that area last night. It's deepnest but smaller and more intense.

The boss at the end of that area is no joke as well. I don't think I was supposed to tackle that area just yet but fuck it, I got through it. Took me about 10 attempts to beat the boss.

2 more wisps to go and find.

Terenty

I believe Luma Pools and Mouldwood are interchangeable (you don’t need any abilities for the latter, but for Luma you need something sold at the village and the ability you get in Baur’s Keep).

So Baur’s first, then either Luma or Mouldwood as preferred, then desert.
Actually you can go anywhere in any order except the desert. I went to Pools first

Pejo

Man, performance issues aside, this game is damn near a 10/10 for me. I love the style of visual storytelling, and the escape sequences are so damn fun with the building music. I need more games like this and the 2D Rayman games that reward good gameplay.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Bah, had to move on. Beat it, got everything, but my chevos must have glitched last night when live was down. Bugger. Back to Darksiders 3 until RE3 demo/Doom it is.

Mista

Banned
Stuck here by the way

9ddaa94b-f30c-4ca2-998c-fc8de414af05.PNG

GHG

Gold Member
How big is the map? Should I finish the first before getting this? How does it compare to Hollow Knight?

Reasonably big but smaller than Hollow Knight.

I'd say the two games combined = the size of Hollow Knight.

Play the first one then play this. The first one is great and it doesn't take too long to blast through.

PanzerAzel

Is Moon Studios owned by Microsoft, or are they just publishing the Ori games?
Give these guys Metroid and let them take as long as they need.
That’s what I’m saying. I could only ever dream of a Metroid like this. This is the treatment a 2D Metroid deserves.

OT, near the ending and just got an ability that makes traversal so trivial and easy it’s going to be hard to go back and play through again.

Roberts

Started getting the frustrating issues. Game keeps freezing for seconds and resumes

Very annoying

Restart didn't help? Got through the whole game with two or three freezes, but after the ending wanted to play more and then the performance became sluggish. Freezes, sound dropping and so on. Restarted the console and didn't have issues after that.

As a sightseeing old timer, I'm playing the game on easy, and it's REALLY easy. At about 45% through I've got so much life that I can't remember the last time I died in combat.

GHG

Gold Member
Man I did things in completely the wrong order...

Did the ice area last and Mouldwood Depths first with Luma Pools sandwiched in between.

The Ice area was laughably easy by the time I did it while Mouldwood was tough as nails. I also managed to head all the way up to the final area in the desert after doing Mouldwood which was a complete waste of time.

Now to clean up all the side quests and a few collectibles before heading back up to the top of the desert.

Varteras

Gold Member
I own the first one on Steam but never played it. I keep sleeping on it even though people clearly love it. Guess I'm gonna have to start playing as soon as I finish Ni no Kuni 2

ebevan91

Man I did things in completely the wrong order...

Did the ice area last and Mouldwood Depths first with Luma Pools sandwiched in between.

The Ice area was laughably easy by the time I did it while Mouldwood was tough as nails. I also managed to head all the way up to the final area in the desert after doing Mouldwood which was a complete waste of time.

Now to clean up all the side quests and a few collectibles before heading back up to the top of the desert.

I'm going in a completely different order. I started with desert, couldn't progress, then backtracked and did the Luma Pools area, got stuck on the boss, then went to the ice area, did that one pretty easily, and then went back and wrecked the boss at the Luma Pools. I think I'm gonna go to the Mouldwood area next, then back to the desert.

GHG

Gold Member
Completed the game on hard and got no end game achievements other that the one that says I defeated Shreik.

Are you shitting me?

I've also found all the energy and health upgrades but didn't get either of those achievements...

Stuart360

I was watching someone play it on stream earlier, the base XB1 version, and there were literal 4-5 second freezes at points. I thought people were exaggerating but i guess not!.

Vawn

Banned
I got to start today. Seems pretty good so far, definitely more Ori.

I'm playing on an original Xbox One and perfomance isn't great. The game freezes for a few moments fairly often.

Other than that, I'm having fun.

draliko

That damn spider is killing my will to play, i've been stuck for 1 hour.... seeing some videos i think i lost something along the way... i don't have many hp and have only 3 ability slot... maybe it's time i search the map better...

Vawn

Banned
I've gotten a bit further and damn, the game is running like shit. Framerate drops are getting worse and it's coming to a complete stop at times. I don't understand why it's having such a hard time.

Top Bottom