• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps |OT| Obey The Owl

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Damn this has problems on Xbox. Played 3-4 hours now and just finished the Windmill dungeon, but it was real tough. That whole area was causing the game to freeze up every five minutes and it made the game crash. I know I'm playing on a One S but damn an exclusive of this calibur shouldn't be running like this.

For those on Xbox do you have it installed on an external HDD or the Internal? I'm on External and now I'm wondering if it's one of those situations where it gets fucky trying to read it off an external source.

Whatever the case this needs a performance patch ASAP because now I'm contemplating shelving it until it gets one, despite really like it so far and not wanting to stop playing.

I read your post after making mine above and decided to check into that. I found mine was installed on external so I moved it to internal. It’s now booting up smoothly.

Died and re-spawned here..... wtf????

unknown.png

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
This was not my type of game and I forgot it was out tbh, anyway I've downloaded it and i'm enjoying it. Beautiful graphics and music, performance could be better as it feels at times 30fps when just walking along with no action on screen at all. It has to be a bug.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Gonna be honest, as much as I’m loving the game, these technical issues are a mess. Frequent 1-2 second pauses, the map screen lags like crazy, and sometimes when I reload from a death the screen goes black, the hud stays up, and it stays that way for a good 30 seconds...

Some areas of the game the FPS takes a dive so hard it feels like a different game, all my reflexes go out the window.

This is a rough laugh, and sadly has put a downer on what I consider to be a serious GOTY contender. The sad part is, I’ll likely be finished before these things are addressed :(

Bummer :(

edit: on Xbox one x btw

Last edited:

DrDamn

X1X here. I don't have game breaking issues, but the framerate does feel very inconsistent. Scrolling isn't smooth, you feel like you are slowing down and speeding up. It's affecting the overall experience. Will try a full reboot of the XBox later to see if that helps.

Gonna be honest, as much as I’m loving the game, these technical issues are a mess. Frequent 1-2 second pauses, the map screen lags like crazy, and sometimes when I reload from a death the screen goes black, the hud stays up, and it stays that way for a good 30 seconds...

Some areas of the game the FPS takes a dive so hard it feels like a different game, all my reflexes go out the window.

This is a rough laugh, and sadly has put a downer on what I consider to be a serious GOTY contender. The sad part is, I’ll likely be finished before these things are addressed :(

Bummer :(

edit: on Xbox one x btw
The game isn't optimized that well. Although I don't have frame drops at all on pc, there is no reason this game should be drawing 250+ watts from my gpu. It's a gorgeous game, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't need that much power to run well.

Reactions: GHG

-Troid-

Banned
I read your post after making mine above and decided to check into that. I found mine was installed on external so I moved it to internal. It’s now booting up smoothly.

Aight gotta try that out after work then. I think I'm gonna just reinstall it instead of transferring it just to be extra safe. Soulcalibur 6 had an issue with external drives at release but got fixed later; hopefully this gets resolves too.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tried again today and it's no longer crashing my system, played a few hours and beat the first "dungeon" or whatever you wanna call it. They really do chase sequences well.

Still loving it but definitely hitting technical hitches where the game locks up for 4-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so which can get old fast.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly appaled by how buggy this game is.

Even the achievements are bugged. I finised the game, didn't unlock the achievement. Unlocked and upgraded every skill, didn't unlock the achievements. Foundevery collecti le, didn3unlock achievement.

Game should have been delayed.

-Troid-

Banned
There's another big issue with this game I found, but it'll take some explanation.

In Ori and the Blind Forest you can use a standard controller and use the Control stick and Dpad completely interchangably as one might expect. Yet in Will of the Wisps there are certain things you cannot do with the Dpad though. You can't use it in the abilities menu (holding down LT) and you can't use it when aiming the Bash attack. For the menu it's not a problem because it pauses the game, so moving from the Dpad to the Leftstick doesn't disrupt the flow of the game. With the Bash I feel it does.

As someone who greatly prefers using a Dpad for 2D/2.5D games using the Dpad to move Ori around but having to switch to the Lstick for one move that gets used constantly is a huge pain in the ass. I could use the Lstick for the whole game, but I'm one of those people who grew up on playing these types of games on the SNES and GBA, and using a Dpad is the best, most tactile way to control precision 2D platforming. The fact that Ori 1 didn't have this issue makes me wonder if this is just another glitch.

One issue I've had with 2.5D games from the XBLA era and onward is a good amount of them make you use the Lstick for movement with no option to use the Dpad. Games like Strider '14 and Shadow Complex do this, but luckily don't require too crazy of platforming. If you have a good fightpad (like one of the Hori fighting commander models for the X1 or PS4) then you can play with a Dpad by changing a switch that makes the Dpad emulate the Lstick. But since those games require use of the RightStick, that rules out using a fightpad.

Bloodstained is the best in these regards because you can use the Dpad to move while needing the Rstick to aim for some abilities. Since I can't use the Dpad in WotW for every function, like it was possible to do in the first game, I've been using my Hori fightpad in Lstick mode to play it. The only problem is, since Ori 1 actually had working Dpad specific aiming for the Bash move, it worked way smoother there in comparison to emulating the Lstick in Ori 2. So I have a workaround to the busted controls but it's still finicky. It's frustrating.

GymWolf

I'm kind of shocked at how much I'm really loving this game so far, I think the most positive reaction to any platformer other than the first Ori was, I didn't absolutely hate it. I liked the first Ori, but not as much as this one.

It makes me sad I suck so bad at them because I'm only halfway through the 2nd area, playing on easy and the platforming is still way hard for me. I have a sinking feeling I won't be able to finish this one either end that's really depressing.

Surprisingly I find the platforming quite clever and I think it would actually be really fun if I wasn't so terrible at it. I am enjoying the combat a lot more than in the 1st Ori, at least I'm able to do that without any problem, especially since I'm playing on easy.
Same for me, i really wanto to buy the game but i'm the worst with challenging platform sections...

DrDamn

If you pre-loaded the game and then patched that might be the source of some framerate issues. So it's recommended to delete and re-download. Will try this tonight and report back if it improves things for me.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently lost, the objective says "Three wisps remain unfound"

Any idea where to go now ?
Check your map for unexplored areas. Should be easy to spot. They're basically found in the far corners of the world.

Reactions: ebb

Rien

Jelly Belly
Booted up the game and the loading screen to the main menu it got stuck and all of a sudden completely turned off my 1X. Had to manually boot it up again. Great start lol

GHG

Gold Member
I think it’s ok. It’s gorgeous and the soundtrack is as beautiful as always and I appreciate their more intense focus on combat.

However I feel like I’m playing the exact same game as the first. It looks the same, plays the same, and sounds the same. If you took a random screenshot from Blind and Will and told me to say which is which, Id fuck up. I wouldn’t be able to tell the soundtracks apart either.

I do like the inclusion of the little side characters with dialogue, the shops and shard systems and I’m glad the beginning is less of a tearjerker than the first (but still dark and a bit sad) but I dunno man. It’s just more Ori. If you liked the first, you’d like this.

Has the day one patch been released yet? Because my game has frozen for several seconds in the middle of a jump or whatever making me think it crashed. It’s only happened a few times, but it sucks.

Really hope Moon does something else completely different next. They’ve more than proved their talent. Come on guys, spread your fuckin wings.

I'm about an hour and a half in but I agree with this.

They've improved the feel of the game massively (Ori is a lot less "floaty" now, for lack of a better word) and there are all these new mechanics but for some reason it feels like I'm playing more of the first game again. Maybe it's the setting or the little things like the menu sounds etc. That's not a bad thing at all but it doesn't feel fresh and I have no idea why they removed the ability to pop a save anywhere in favor of this new checkpoint system. In doing so they've actually made the game much easier, I'm one of the people who liked the risk/reward driven save system in the first game.

They've also taken a lot of cues from Hollow Knight. I'm not seeing much that's fresh or original so far but granted, it's early days as far as my play-through goes.

Runs well enough on my PC though, getting around 100 fps on a 120hz screen so it feels great and looks fantastic.

Exentryk

Started the game today.

Spent about 10 minutes on the title screen just soaking in the beautiful art and the music. After that, it was time for that amazing intro. I recall giving feedback for Blind Forest that I wanted more story. So I absolutely loved the longer intro in the sequel. It's amazing how the developers can create an emotional response from these relatively small intros. Amazing!

Moving on to playing the game, and the first thing you notice is the unbelievable graphics. Man, the colors absolutely pop. And this is without HDR since PC version doesn't have it yet. Ori's movement feels so good to control. I love the additions of Shards which you slot to gain various abilities (like more damage or magnet, etc). The combat also feels really fun now. The addition of various weapons is excellent! The animations and the feel of combat is fantastic! I also remember giving feedback about meeting more NPCs for the original Ori and am glad to see it being implemented here. The fake language the NPCs used felt a little similar to Hollow Knight though and it didn't sound like the one that the Speaker of the game uses at the intro. The soundtrack is gorgeous and running through these beautiful environments with this music is absolute bliss.

Regarding ability and button mapping, I think it might have been better to have people map the abilities from the menu. This would have freed up LT and could have been used for three more abilities like LT+X, LT+Y, etc. I was hoping that maybe keyboard would have a dedicated button for each ability that I could set up as a macro on the controller, but that's not the case. If anyone knows of a way more abilities can be mapped to shortcuts, please share.

I'd also love if we can get:
- Hide Hud option (or dynamic hud)
- PS4 controller icons (menu toggle)

I'm still very early in the game, but taking it nice and slow! Enjoy a few gifs below:

Banned
Damn this has problems on Xbox. Played 3-4 hours now and just finished the Windmill dungeon, but it was real tough. That whole area was causing the game to freeze up every five minutes and it made the game crash. I know I'm playing on a One S but damn an exclusive of this calibur shouldn't be running like this.

For those on Xbox do you have it installed on an external HDD or the Internal? I'm on External and now I'm wondering if it's one of those situations where it gets fucky trying to read it off an external source.

Whatever the case this needs a performance patch ASAP because now I'm contemplating shelving it until it gets one, despite really like it so far and not wanting to stop playing.

I also ran into performance issues and switched to PC, but that game just runs like ass in some scenes anyways.
so this is definitely a software issue not a hardware one... again Unity Engine is dogshit, but I also kinda feel like they needed a few more weeks for polishing.

I did the second chase sequence and my PC literally went down to 20FPS at one point, I replayed the scene while having some GPU and CPU monitors open, and they showed it only used 50% of my GPU and 40% of my CPU... so 100% software issue IMO.
during most normal gameplay the game runs at above 100fps

the game is great but these performance issues really really turn me off, again I blame a combination of Unity engine and not enough time to polish it... but mainly Unity... because I still haven't seen a single well performing and looking game made with that engine... time and time again, if I see Unity I expect either simple graphics or bad performance... or sometimes both... and it was 100% the case so far

PanzerAzel

There are a lot of games out there I enjoy, but none come close to approaching the feeling of pure satisfaction in gameplay through exceptional presentation and precision gameplay at every moment as the Ori games do. Every sound, animation, even subtle things like the sound effect of the transition from one area to the next has been lovingly crafted. I've never played a game where simple traversal is such an exhilirating joy, not only from the presentation, but the precision (and I don't understand those who complain this plays strangely, Ori is like an extension of my fingers).

For all its faults, I find the Ori games to be a blast to play, which I think is what defines a good game.

PanzerAzel

Man the underwater areas are so pretty looking, once you can actually swim underwater.
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction so I can last underwater? Can’t get very far due to breath limits. Also, is it possible to eventually attack while swimming like the first?

Last edited:

Terenty

Am i the only one feeling a bit of dissonance with Ori being this cute little spirit crashing down in some neighbour land and starting exterminating its fauna with a sword and a giant ass hammer?

And another thing that i'm not a fan of is the npcs look ugly, only the cat like creatures look good so far

Edit. Ok apparently the creatures are corrupted, so Ori is justified

Last edited:

Ogbert

Just beaten it.

Comfortably the best metroidvania I've ever played. Top 3 soundtracks ever. Absolutely beautiful graphics; the Luma Pools are just magic.

Pretty sure it will be my game of the year.

Masterpiece.

The only problems I've encountered in pc are a slightly laggy map, and the initial game boot up will sometimes take an inordinate amount of time.
I haven't noticed any frame drops, but I'm not particularly sensitive to that stuff unless it really tanks.

Shakka43

Just beat the game. Performance wise the game was almost flawless, at the end of the boss fight at Luma Pools whenever I used the dash the frames started dropping to the single digits, after a PC restart the game when back to normal locked at my monitor's refresh rate all the time (75fps).

99bYQHJ.png

Most of my deaths came from platforming, the world enemies weren't too much of a problem on normal mode.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
so is the game bugged as hell even on pc or it's just a console problem?

Not experienced anything significant so far. Initial load time to get to the menu can be a bit on the long side, even on an SSD. Oh and I've had the game freeze and take a little while to reload a checkpoint after death from time to time, but nothing major since it resolves itself after a couple of seconds.

Am i the only one feeling a bit of dissonance with Ori being this cute little spirit crashing down in some neighbour land and starting exterminating its fauna with a sword and a giant ass hammer?

And another thing that i'm not a fan of is the npcs look ugly, only the cat like creatures look good so far

Edit. Ok apparently the creatures are corrupted, so Ori is justified

I fucking love the hammer though, so satisfying. I swapped out the puny little sword for it immediately as soon as I got it. Ori is now doing his best rendition of a Dark Souls heavy bro.

Pejo

Wow, I'm actually a little bit comforted that everyone else is having technical issues too, this is my first time in the thread since before launch (spoiler reasons), and I was coming to see if the rest of you were having problems. For me, I'm on PC and have a lot of audio glitches, physics glitches and the black screen + HUD thing a few times. Also as -Troid- -Troid- states above, the fact that you can't use bash with the D-pad sucks balls.

Guess I'll just chill on this game for a bit and let a patch or two come out. It's ruining the flow of the game with all the glitches and crashes.

luca_29_bg

I will never touch again a game from MoonStudio...you screw me once, you screw me twice, but it won't be the third time! Fucking disgusting!:sick:

Last edited:
Top Bottom