• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps |OT| Obey The Owl

Mista

Banned
9756A59799E27EFC543FCA5740D37456168DBB0D

Developer: Moon Studios
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
Engine: Unity
Platforms: Xbox One & PC
Release: March 11, 2020
Genre: Platformer (Metroidvania)

--------------------------------------------------

About This Game

giphy.gif

Players assume control of Ori, a white guardian spirit. To progress in the game, players are tasked to move between platforms and solve puzzles. Unlike The Blind Forest, Will of the Wisps relies on autosaving rather than manually placed soul links, and the sequential upgrade system of the first title has been abandoned for a shard system more akin to charms in Hollow Knight. The game world unfolds to the player in the fashion of a Metroidvania, with new movement abilities allowing the player to access previously inaccessible areas. Some of the foundational gameplay elements were inspired by the Rayman and Metroid franchises.

The game's story is centered on a new adventure to discover the world beyond the forest of Nibel, uncover the truths of the lost ones, and unearth Ori's true destiny.

Game features

tumblr_oremzoEAtZ1tt3wuco2_500.gifv

Immerse yourself in a hand-crafted narrative experience

Unravel Ori’s true destiny in this emotional and engaging story driven adventure with a stunning soundtrack. Explore a vast, exotic, and strikingly beautiful environment.

SnappyDentalIchthyostega-size_restricted.gif

Master new skills

Guide Ori through a journey of untold danger using newly acquired spirit weapons, spells, and attacks. Utilize an all-new shard system to power-up Ori’s newfound abilities and customize your style of play.

BruisedPitifulArabianhorse-size_restricted.gif

Face epic enemies and challenging puzzles

Larger-than-life bosses – Encounter towering enemies and thrilling escape sequences. New characters - Seek help from an expansive cast of new characters who will help you uncover Ori’s mysterious fate.

giphy.gif

Experience new thrilling modes

Spirit Trials - Race to the top of the leaderboards in unique speed-run challenges throughout the game. Spirit Shrines – Face increasingly challenging waves of enemies in timed trials to collect rewards.

----------------------------------------------

Media

------------------------------------------------

Reviews

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yo. I still haven't finished the first. Something about dying constantly or something.

Should I finish the first before playing this?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yo. I still haven't finished the first. Something about dying constantly or something.

Should I finish the first before playing this?

Same boat I'm in. I'm just going straight to this one and hope and pray this one is easier to finish or that I will have greater patience and tolerance for dying constantly.

GHG

Gold Member
For the love of God finish the first game guys. Even if you need to knock the difficulty down in order to do so. It's fantastic.

Also, the second game doesn't get any easier according to early reports so you may as well brush up on your skills as many of the abilities reappear in the second game.

kiphalfton

There was like 5-6 "Ori and the Will of the Wisps" threads on the front page earlier, so maybe this will help the board from getting flooded with 500 individual threads.

Having played some of this already I think some of the reviews are being generous. Performance on the Xbox One X with the Day 1 patch is still bad. I may end up holding off on playing more of this until the series X releases.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I have never played the first one yet, I just wanted to say thank you Mista Mista for making OT's that other people may not make. I might give the first a try.

VAL0R

Banned
Yeah but I don't want to "move" to Australia :messenger_beaming:

So what do you think, how is it?
Very good so far. It's very smooth, beautiful and the addition of weapons is very cool. I said I've been playing "since this morning" but really only in 2 chunks about 30 mins each. So I'm about an hour into it. I think it's going to be epic.

ebevan91

I’m like 80% done with the first game so I’m trying to finish it right now so I can start the new one tomorrow.

That shit where you had to walk upside down for that one area was annoying.

Last edited:

CatLady

Very good so far. It's very smooth, beautiful and the addition of weapons is very cool. I said I've been playing "since this morning" but really only in 2 chunks about 30 mins each. So I'm about an hour into it. I think it's going to be epic.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I wish it would hurry up and unlock here without having to change my location.

Dibils2k

played abit, was getting like 20fps...

also anyone else who plays this in HDR, do you get ridiculous amount of color banding/gradation in the sky/background? just got this TV so not sure if its that or the game

Exentryk

Nice OT!

Will start playing it tomorrow. Loved the first game and this one looks more of the same but better. Bring it on!

Mista

Banned
Wow, thank you all for the kind words. The OT is very simple so I’m surprised that theres people that likes it. Thank you once again:messenger_heart:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
God damn, right back in the feels... god damn it...

One thing that’s annoying is there seems to be no way to change controls? Dunno what I’m doing wrong, but wanted to try swapping LB and LT but when go to controls, there’s a reset button but no actual way to change them. Weird.

But damn... The music, the visuals, the raw emotion.

We got ourselves a GOTY contender here I think.

CatLady

God damn, right back in the feels... god damn it...

One thing that’s annoying is there seems to be no way to change controls? Dunno what I’m doing wrong, but wanted to try swapping LB and LT but when go to controls, there’s a reset button but no actual way to change them. Weird.

But damn... The music, the visuals, the raw emotion.

We got ourselves a GOTY contender here I think.

It does get you right in the feels from the very opening moments. I'm loving it so far, it's 3:30 AM, I'm deliriously tired but I can't quit playing the damn game. Impressive for someone that hates 2D Platformers.

I agree it's surely a GOTY contender, but sadly it won't win - no lesbians

I was replaying a bit of the first in anticipation of the new release and I was thinking to myself: "Man, how can they possibly improve the art and animation in this."
Well, they did, and it's astounding. Gonna be a long work day after squeezing the intro in this morning.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Wow, thank you all for the kind words. The OT is very simple so I’m surprised that theres people that likes it. Thank you once again:messenger_heart:

They just want your D. Anyway just started playing and it's fantastic and I can feel how huge it is already. Combat is very nice and that's all the first one needed. I do see they borrowed some ideas from Hollow Knight which is nice.

Looks incredible, the first one was one of those surprise games that I had completely missed out on and it ended up being one of my favourite games, of all time.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Best Buy sent me an email saying they did not get preorders in yet or they ran out :(

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

I’m like 80% done with the first game so I’m trying to finish it right now so I can start the new one tomorrow.

That shit where you had to walk upside down for that one area was annoying.

I finished that area last night. Saved at the Kuro escape sequence. If you have the Definitive Edition, there is a lot left to play through.

Sygma

The amount of post processing is horrendous jesus christ, im guessing it looks amazing in 4k but since it doesn't support DSR ... urgh

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I like the game so far, but I’ll admit that
boss fight in the beginning frustrated me and kind of soured me a little. Since then the game has been pretty good though.

Also... even though the art style is beautiful, why does everything look so blurry, even in 4k?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I like the game so far, but I’ll admit that
boss fight in the beginning frustrated me and kind of soured me a little. Since then the game has been pretty good though.

Also... even though the art style is beautiful, why does everything look so blurry, even in 4k?
Turn the motion blur off

Top Bottom