• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps has gone GOLD🌟

Aldric

Neat. Combat already looks vastly improved, now I hope they can make an effort about visibility/conveyance because one of the first game's biggest issues for me was the way environmental hazards tended to blend into the background and be poorly signposted.

GHG

Gold Member
Looking forward to this, really enjoyed the definitive edition of the first game.

Will be interesting to see how they handle abilities and what abilities they will start you off with.

GHG

Gold Member
Beautifully balanced and polished platformer without the excessive backtracking and frustration of Hollow Knight. Looking forward to this.

Wash your mouth out.

Hollow Knight is a masterpiece and the pinnacle of the genre.

And ironically in late game backtracking is more difficult in Ori than it is in Hollow Knight. You can only fast travel to set points in Ori whereas in HK you can create fast travel points to anywhere on the map.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This being a week before doom is like a 1-2 punch for me. Im going to be in gaming heaven.

I believe the review embargo ends tomorrow. Well i guess that makes sense as it actually releases tomorrow too. I look forward to reading reviews.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Its so above all the metroidvanias out there it's not even funny. Can't wait!

The first was a very good game, but no. There are better Metroidvania games out there, such as Hollow Knight, Gucamelee, etc.

Ori is probably the prettiest one though.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
One of few games where my experience has been fucked over by bugs so much that I've had to stop playing, and wait till release to see if the promised day 1 patch actually fixes everything.

The bugs have made me fucking hate this game. I'm gonna have to take days off before going back just to try to start over with a neutral mind since my impressions have been so colored by all the shit they'll supposedly fix.

Just imagine a save system that says the game is being saved, while fuck all is being saved. Now imagine playing reeaally well for a couple of hours, only then to die due to some silly mistake, and then to realize the past hours are poof.

Fucking hard to not get livid when that happens, repeatedly.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Reviews are up. Currently sitting at a 91 on Metacritic, 89 on Opencritic.

Glad to hear they haven't toned down the difficulty.

man, I usually don't do side scrollers and played ori for free due to gamepass. I was Wowed. bought the special edition and played a bunch more side scrollers on GP and plan to pick this up day one. If its even equal to the original ill be happy, if it surpasses it I may cry.

One of few games where my experience has been fucked over by bugs so much that I've had to stop playing, and wait till release to see if the promised day 1 patch actually fixes everything.

The bugs have made me fucking hate this game. I'm gonna have to take days off before going back just to try to start over with a neutral mind since my impressions have been so colored by all the shit they'll supposedly fix.

Just imagine a save system that says the game is being saved, while fuck all is being saved. Now imagine playing reeaally well for a couple of hours, only then to die due to some silly mistake, and then to realize the past hours are poof.

Fucking hard to not get livid when that happens, repeatedly.
I remember this happening to me, however, I just reverted back to my RPG save thought process (specifically in games that don't allow you to save everywhere): save whenever you can, don't go too long without saving, and save more then once in case your first didn't save correctly.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I remember this happening to me, however, I just reverted back to my RPG save thought process (specifically in games that don't allow you to save everywhere): save whenever you can, don't go too long without saving, and save more then once in case your first didn't save correctly.
I had to do that here, but unlike the usual rpg, the process is a bit more cumbersome. You have checkpoints that are frequent (in theory), and rare savepoints. You can't manually save whenever, so what I ended up having to do is reboot the game everytime I sense the system is getting loopy. Which is often.

It's a chore.

I had to do that here, but unlike the usual rpg, the process is a bit more cumbersome. You have checkpoints that are frequent (in theory), and rare savepoints. You can't manually save whenever, so what I ended up having to do is reboot the game everytime I sense the system is getting loopy. Which is often.

It's a chore.
Hmmm, that def sounds like a larger issue and id hope it isn't some memory in your console going bad that ORI just so happened to be using specifically.

Flick

Banned

It's a chore.

really? Never happened to me so far. Have you tried re-installing the game?
Also, FPS is rock solid. Looks nice on Xbox oneX.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So is it ready? Or just NZ? Ohh shit, I have console streaming, I could change that remotely, it occured to me. Let see what hospital wi-fi can do...

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
really? Never happened to me so far. Have you tried re-installing the game?
Also, FPS is rock solid. Looks nice on Xbox oneX.

I'm usually lucky when it comes to bugs, but with Ori I got it all. Fps is usually good, but now and then it freezes for a second or two, usually in the middle of an insane jump/bash/dash challenge.

Reinstall didn't work. Day 1 patch should fix it though, MS sent out a mail regarding it where these issues were mentioned.

Top Bottom