• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINON: Sony Not Offering Performance Upgrade To Ghosts For Free Feels Anti-Consumer

Is Sony justified charging $10 more for performance upgrade when other platforms do it for free?

• Yes

Votes: 97 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 232 55.5%
  • Yes but only if tied with new exclusive content not related to resolution/framerate (give examples)

Votes: 89 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

S0ULZB0URNE

she looks pretty thicc here.

always-a-favorite-lt-3-2k7j79lo1y.jpg
Not bad

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The PS5 upgrade should be free.

not really a big deal in any case, I imagine it's their way of getting everyone to jump straight to the expansion pack.
If it was really about them forcing the expansion pack down our throat, it wouldve been perfectly fine if it was $20 like the PS4 expansion. The fact that they are shamelessly taxing the next gen expansion a full $10 like they do for their cross gen PS5 games like MLB the Show is what makes this worse.

$70 games? Who do we blame for this?

TBH a high quality $70 game is more rewarding to me then paying $15 a month to rent my games 🤷‍♂️

I enjoy excellent BC on my Series X but I do wonder if this would be the case if XSX had a actual current gen lineup 🤔
So you feel rewarded being told to spend $10 more on 1st party titles? Never heard of such concept. I mean its 2021 so you like what you like i guess.

XSX has plenty of next gen line up. I am not sure what you are talking about.

Fable
Awoved
Hellblade 2
Starfield
Perfect Dark
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Everwild
State of Decay 3

Also, 1st party titles never ever leave Game Pass, 3rd parties come and go.

Once again, self education goes a long way but it seems you don't have any.

I am gonna enjoy both of my consoles either way because I like both of them for different reasons. But to say Sony is more consumer friendly is just a joke man I am sorry. They can't even get crossplay right, let alone something so simple as backward compatability.

Last edited:
So you feel rewarded being told to spend $10 more on 1st party titles? Never heard of such concept. I mean its 2021 so you like what you like i guess.

Fable
Awoved
Hellblade 2
Starfield
Perfect Dark
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Everwild
State of Decay 3

I am gonna enjoy both of my consoles either way because I like both of them for different reasons. But to say Sony is more consumer friendly is just a joke man I am sorry. They can't even get crossplay right, let alone something so simple as backward compatability.
Funny thing is at least half of those games are 2 years or more away.

Gears hivebusters
The multiple updates to halo mcc
Sea of theives

they are the first party off the top of my head but many of the other first and third party had series x/1x patches to either up res to 4K or FPS boost

they are all
Dave Chappelle Freedom GIF

edit and before people say you have to pay gamepass their $1 who doesn’t own an Xbox and gamepass
The issue is if you don't have GP (many xbox owners don't) Hivebusters is $20.00 and Sea of Thieves was full price at launch and wasn't even finished, at least not when it came to actual content as it was extremely bare bones. I got a series x as an impulse buy but the place I got it from was only selling it through the all access program so I do have GP but 99% of the games there that I don't already own don't interest me, I don't care about 5 versions of doom or a bunch of indie or 360 games.

S0ULZB0URNE

Fable
Awoved
Hellblade 2
Starfield
Perfect Dark
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Everwild
State of Decay 3

In the 90's I paid more than $70 for games.

I enjoy owning games more than renting.

Your astroturfing is so strong that you can't respond correctly...
Instead of countering what I said about XSX having a actual current gen lineup.. you predictably posted a upcoming lineup.

Then the astroturfing causes you to advertise GP like a cheap MS infomercial and then we get attempted insults.

It's not that serious bro

Warablo

Some will be fine with the boosted frame rates and others will be willing to pay for the enhanced upgrades and new content. This isn't an all or nothing scenario.
I don't know what you are on about, when I buy a graphics card. I don't expect to pay a tax for each game to use my graphics card to its fullest abilities. I can understand if this was a old game and they remastered it but its a year old.

I don't mind charging money for the expansion which they should have sold separately.

Last edited:
I honestly think it's just PS5 games are more money, so they are charging more for it to fall in line with the rest of the games.

I would likely chalk it up to supply and demand. They know they have PS5 owners that want PS5 content. It's nothing more than wanting to maximize their sales numbers IMO.

I personally don't care. Ten dollars extra is more than fine to me. I play a few games a year. If I take someone out to coffee, that alone costs more than ten bucks. I'm not going to complain about a small price increase after a few decades of 59.99 games. Everything goes up in price with time.

But that's just me. I mean I also paid 89.99 for Chrono Trigger, when I was a small child and had to use birthday money ...

Well, I mean inflation IS a thing, I get that. But Ghosts is still primarily a PS4 game with some resolution and framerate upgrades for PS5. If the cost of producing the content went up to justify the extra $10, that should also had been reflected in the PS4 version's pricing IMO.

The factors for high-priced carts back in the day don't necessarily exist for games today. Those cartridges had ROM chips and memory was very pricy for the time, especially ROM, and AAA JRPGs like Chrono Trigger needed a lot of memory to hold their data. Plus Nintendo (and Sega to a lesser extent) completely owned the cart manufacturing lines, they charged a premium for cartridge and packaging manufacture and pubs had to put in high minimum orders (I think the average cost was $20 - $30 per physical copy but I'm not sure if that was just SNES/Genesis or N64).

The physical medium itself dictated those high costs; Blu-Ray discs are way cheaper to manufacture and the packaging costs aren't that much either, so if any costs are making them feel the extra $10 is needed, it's production costs. But long-term I think there are better options for bringing those costs down to therefore keep games from creeping up in costs for the customer, that's behind-the-scenes stuff though.

Its pretty much a PS5 remaster similar to GTAV or The Last of Us at the start of last generation. The trailer literally said you get new visuals at 4K60 with this update. The PS4 game was dynamic 1800 to 4k at 60 FPS with the PS5 patch last year, 60/30 FPS without it.

You know this, but you're clearly playing dumb for console war drama. Why else would you conveniently leave out the free PS5 patch last year from your OP?

Just look at how you're fine with microtransactions in a game that was promised to not have microtransactions by the developers (probably because they're owned by MS now), but want to frame Sony as greedy for a $10 upgrade path for a full PS5 version of a game that received tons of free content, including a free PS5 enhancement update and expansion last year following its launch.

This is clown shit.

IIRC Zenimax's previous owners were the ones pushing for big profits and MTX stuff, so it's possible iD Tech developed planned content for DOOM Eternal with that in mind and, again, even if they could've gone the free route with the MTX but decided not to, that is still pure content. My thing with the Ghosts stuff has never been with the cost for the new content, that is 100% justified.

However I don't think the extra $10 is really justified for "simply" Japanese lip-syncing and Dualsense support. It'd of actually seem more justified if the extra $10 was for framerate & resolution increases as well, TBH. FWIW, I actually did forget about the framerate/resolution boost Sony did for the game earlier in the year until some other folks mentioned it in the replies, so that's my mistake I admit that.

Still though, is anyone going to answer how $10 extra is justified with just lip-sync for cutscenes and Dualsense support? I'm waiting for a good answer to justify that, maybe it's in one of the other pages I got a lot of reading to do ITT.

A mod should change the thread title I think. They gave the performance upgrade for free already 60fps on PS5 through a free patch.

The title should be changed to "Sony should not bundle the lip sync update with the island expansion but give it free" or something because at the moment the title makes it seem like they didn't already give the performance upgrade free.

Yeah actually I wouldn't mind that if a mod could change the title to this or something similar please!

John Wick

I wholeheartedly agree that developers be paid for their hard work. Yet, the competition is doing upgrades for free, and if you improve the game doesn't it make sense to benefit from increased sales rather than upcharge the players that already bought the game?
On top of that they are making $20 from the DLC. But they have to be extra greedy and ask $10 more for PS5

Threads like this is why we will never get free support like the game received until now, free DLCs like Legends - a perfect platform for selling MTX with zero MTX, ever again. Why the fuck should anyone bother.

Well that wasn't the intent and I hope publishers like Sony or whoever aren't looking at these type of discussions and going "welp, we tried but that's enough of that!". As a practice it's certainly more preferable vs. lootboxes.

I just kinda feel like the additional costs should scale accordingly. You're getting hours of additional story-driven content for $20 basically, but lip-sync and Dualsense haptic support (which IMO is the bigger questionable point here) are worth half of that?

No, it's not anti-consumer. It's actually very odd to expect free upgrades when there is substantial work involved by devs.

Besides, Sony/Sucker Punch has already offered a FREE 60 FPS performance upgrade for Ghost of Tsushima. Not to mention the entire Legends mode for free.

Now they are asking $10 for additional PS5 features that obviously require extra work: haptic feedback, 3D audio, adaptive triggers, etc. If devs worked on those features and spent considerable hours, they deserve to be paid for it.

When was the last time any of us worked for free for our clients, customers, or companies?

But is it really worth the $10 premium? Think of all the GOTY editions for certain AAA games in the past that rolled up seasons' worth of DLC and other content in definitive releases, that were cheaper than the original launch MSRP of the vanilla version of those games! That might serve as something of a counterpoint here.

The hypocrites just don't sleep, do they?

I could swear that Ghost of Tsushima already runs at 60fps on the PS5 at no extra cost.

BTW, why not a thread about how Psychonauts 2 not getting a PS5 version is anti-consumer?

Or how about a thread about MS charging higher fees on top of their rental service for online multiplayer? When Sony includes MP in PSNow games, that is very anti-consumer!

BTW, where were you when the online multiplayer paywall scam started all the way back in 2003?

Man you really got it out for me as a MS fanboy huh? I give loving to all the consoles, no hate here ;)

It's too expensive for what it gives, so I'm not paying for that.

But if you're a fanboy of a competing console, of course you'll feel compelled to post fake outrage threads.

If you project any harder you'd be telekinetic!

For players who’ve already bought the game on PS4, they “are” essentially purchasing the separate DLC through the $20 upgrade path, I believe.

The “Director’s Cuts” are for users such as myself (hi, I’m new and not an ALT lol), who has never bought the original game and wants to experience it first and best on next-gen hardware.

$70 makes sense, personally. You’re getting the original game (which was $60), with all of this additional content for an extra $10.

But the original game is no longer $60; if using the original release as a base and considering the only thing the extra $10 really covers is Japanese lip-sync and Dualsense support, shouldn't the original release's likely current price value be used as the base, and the PS5 version be $60 or the PS4 version be $70 considering what the $10 more gets you versus what the $20 (for the substantive content) gets you?

I understand your entire point and I'm sure this wasn't your intended outcome, OP, but I feel the options you have in the thread poll, kinda splits up the "No" camp into a similar but a slightly extended "Yes but only if tied with new exclusive content not related to resolution/framerate (give examples)", i.e. another "No" camp, which aims for the same opinion tbh.

To your question though, it's a straight up NO. No console maker or 3rd party publisher should charge for a next gen upgrade "fee", PERIOD. Just think about the scumbaggery if EA or Acti charged $10 for you to use RTX features on new gen GPU's.

Sony should do what Coalition did with Gears 5 and it's campaign DLC. Provide the upgrade and the native next-gen version for free (not lock it behind paywall) and just charge for the DLC.

Edit - If possible, OP and everyone, request the mods to just merge the votes of the third option to the prior "No" option, as they both serve the same purpose.

Well, the reason for the two different "No" options was to give one as an absolute for people who feel it is never okay, versus those who think it would be okay if circumstances permitted and/or it was justified through the value being added. But thinking on it now maybe tying the latter to a Yes option would've been better.

FWIW I forgot about Ghosts getting a resolution/framerate perf upgrade when making the thread, that's my bad. But it makes the $10 cost on top for PS5 version look even weirder in a way when you consider, outside of the Japanese lip-sync and Dualsense support, all other content is exactly the same between PS4 and PS5 versions.

If the dlc really is 15 hours than what exactly are people complaining about? You expect that for free? Actual new content will always have to be paid for.

This isn't about the actual content; the new content more than justifies its cost. It's about the fact that the $10 extra for PS5 version does not cover that additional content, simply lip-sync in cutscenes for Japanese and Dualsense haptic feedback.

Chance to say Arrogant Sony is Back or Sony Is Anti-consumer even out of context? The only thing making some posts better would be a GamePass plug. Although to be fair the OP was not really that console war drama fuelled, still disagree with the premise.

Thanks and I appreciate the understanding; this is definitely not for console war shenanigans and I messed up with the title because I legit forgot about the performance upgrade Sucker Punch did a few months back, which was for free.

TBH it's not even that Sony are particularly egregious with this type of stuff; platform holder-wise I think Nintendo is the worst of the three in terms of what they charge for certain things vs. what you're actually getting, and it's not like Microsoft is spotless either considering it wasn't that long ago you still had to pay for MP for FTP games on Xbox.

At this point I'm just wondering if it would be better for Sony to standardize the $70 for PS5 and PS4 SKUs (or in this DLC's case, $30 on both platforms) of their games so at least that way we don't have to ask what the extra $10 is for on one platform. If their business model calls for a $10 price increase for first-party releases then fine, but at least make it appear justified in some way that is substantive, especially considering how things may be on other platforms (outside of third-party games), at least for now.

IMO there's no way to really spin lip-sync for cutscenes and haptic feedback support as worth a $10 premium, so why not just set that new price across all your platforms and roll in those additions with the new content, because at that point people will see the PS5 version as even better value. Which, they already seem to be doing considering cross-platform 1P games are selling much more on PS5 vs. PS4. I'm just thinking about the optics here is all.

The great thing is YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY THE $10.00 if you don't want the lip synching and the dual sense stuff, the other things were already given for free, you can play the game in "4K" at 60fps now and that will not change when the "PS5 version" of the directors cut comes out. I can't believe people, they added multiplayer stuff FOR FREE for everyone, they made it so the game plays at 60fps in resolution mode on PS5 but somehow they are anti consumer because they want you to pay for things that cost them extra to do.

But objectively speaking, how much extra work was it to do the Japanese lip-sync for cutscenes or add Dualsense and 3D audio support (the latter two especially, since I'd like to think that's just a bit of new code calling APIs to tap features already built into the hardware) compared to an entire MP mode, or the resolution & framerate increases? You can't really say the scale and complexity of those things are the same.

It'd be like a fighting game coming out for $60 on PS4 but $70 on PS5 and stating the reason why is because they wanted to add support for fight sticks. Like, that's not a good reasoning at all, considering fighting games had no issue in the past keeping similar pricing across devices with fight stick support assumed to naturally be there by fans.

Its hilarious, this is a game that was praised for being good value at launch, praised more for adding a free multiplayer mode post launch, praised again for offering a solid performance upgrade for PS5 again for free... But now is "anti-consumer" because of a $10 PS5 feature upgrade and a $20 expansion pack!

Proving once again, you may as well nickle and dime users from the start, because you won't get credit for giving stuff away and as soon as you charge a penny extra any "good-will" generated will be forgotten instantly.

Maybe "anti-consumer" was a bad choice of words for this case; there have definitely been way worst practices from other companies like EA and Activision that are truly anti-consumer. But, I am still asking, why does lip-sync animations in cutscenes and Dualsense/3D audio support warrant a $10 premium?

Actually let's skip over the lip-sync because that could at least be justified in some manner. The Dualsense support and 3D audio, why does that warrant a $10 premium? Do people want to know what this would've looked like with previous console generations? It'd be like Nintendo charging $10 extra for 1P N64 games over 1P SNES games just for analog feature support. It'd be like SEGA charging $10 extra for Dreamcast versions of cross-gen games for using the built-in modem (on top of the Dreamcast's regular cost). Or like Sony making PS3 owners pay an extra $10 to play PS2 games with smoother rendering, on top of the PS3's MSRP.

Like, yeah, they can do it as a pricing strategy, but it doesn't really justify its reason for being practiced if you think it out to a logical conclusion.

Bramble

It is already a known fact PS5 games are $10 more expensive. We already got a free fleshed out online mode and a 60fps patch. Just buy the basic PS4 version if you're new to the game and by the time you own a PS5 get the DC upgrade including the 20 hour Iki expansion for $30, which is a very fair price.

Meanwhile it's normal for Microsoft to lock a bunch of cosmetic upgrades and planes in Flight Simulator behind a $120 paywall when the game runs at 30fps on consoles.

Meanwhile it's normal for Nintendo to ask full price for minor HD upgrades that hardly look any different than their Wii (U) counterparts.

Big bad Sony.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But you do get a performance upgrade for free. The game runs at 60fps on PS5, doesn't it?

If you want new content and features, yeah, you'll have to pay. But you don't have to if you don't want that.

Last edited:

buenoblue

The thread title is the problem. Should be why does Sony charge for next gen version, not performance upgrade because the performance upgrade was already free.

pratyush

I want free things in my life. But in real world i pay for stuff because i wont be able to afford anything if people dont pay for what i work for. This is how world works.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Fable
Awoved
Hellblade 2
Starfield
Perfect Dark
Forza Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Everwild
State of Decay 3

Keep looking at your list for the next couple of years.

arvfab

Banned
You pay for the game once on Xbox, PC, Android and IOS. When you upgrade your hardware, the software runs better. Sony and Nintendo should catch up. The £10 surcharge or whatever it is is horrible.

Wait, if I buy a MS game on PC, I can download a dedicated version for free on my android phone?

arvfab

Banned
You pay for the game once on Xbox, PC, Android and IOS. When you upgrade your hardware, the software runs better. Sony and Nintendo should catch up. The £10 surcharge or whatever it is is horrible.

Instead of putting some lame emojis, why not answer the question? Because it sounds a lot like bullshit.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
But is it really worth the $10 premium? Think of all the GOTY editions for certain AAA games in the past that rolled up seasons' worth of DLC and other content in definitive releases, that were cheaper than the original launch MSRP of the vanilla version of those games! That might serve as something of a counterpoint here.
that can be a debate that whether all these additional features (real-time cutscenes with Japanese dub sync, 3D audio, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, any graphical improvements) are worth $10 or not.

My opinion is that $70 is actually cheaper if you're getting into Ghost of Tsushima now. For $60 we all happily paid for the main game (PS4 version). For $70, you are getting the main game + expansions + additional PS5 features.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Maybe "anti-consumer" was a bad choice of words for this case; there have definitely been way worst practices from other companies like EA and Activision that are truly anti-consumer. But, I am still asking, why does lip-sync animations in cutscenes and Dualsense/3D audio support warrant a $10 premium?

Actually let's skip over the lip-sync because that could at least be justified in some manner. The Dualsense support and 3D audio, why does that warrant a $10 premium? Do people want to know what this would've looked like with previous console generations? It'd be like Nintendo charging $10 extra for 1P N64 games over 1P SNES games just for analog feature support. It'd be like SEGA charging $10 extra for Dreamcast versions of cross-gen games for using the built-in modem (on top of the Dreamcast's regular cost). Or like Sony making PS3 owners pay an extra $10 to play PS2 games with smoother rendering, on top of the PS3's MSRP.

Like, yeah, they can do it as a pricing strategy, but it doesn't really justify its reason for being practiced if you think it out to a logical conclusion.

These are all substantial additions and changes. Just the remixed audio alone actually is a precedented reason for a full-price reissue, you see this in the music industry all the time.

Seems to me that you don't see sound as being nearly as important as the visuals, which I'd argue is wrong in every aspect.

Lupin25

Yeah brand new PS5 owners. The problem seems to resonate with the PS4 owners upgrading. It's a $30 upgrade for them. $10 of which is only the dualsense and 3d audio and lip sync stuff.

See, personally, the extra $10 (inherent in the new next-gen price) hasn’t been optional since the beginning of this generation, so it’s hard to complain about it now.

We’re asking for these additions to be free, but it hasn’t been optional, because it’s been the cost of admission for all $70 next-gen games this entire time. Lol.

That’s what the extra $10 is for. ALL of us know this already (Especially those with PS5’s).

Last edited:

Lupin25

Well that wasn't the intent and I hope publishers like Sony or whoever aren't looking at these type of discussions and going "welp, we tried but that's enough of that!". As a practice it's certainly more preferable vs. lootboxes.

I just kinda feel like the additional costs should scale accordingly. You're getting hours of additional story-driven content for $20 basically, but lip-sync and Dualsense haptic support (which IMO is the bigger questionable point here) are worth half of that?

Man you really got it out for me as a MS fanboy huh? I give loving to all the consoles, no hate here ;)

If you project any harder you'd be telekinetic!

But the original game is no longer $60; if using the original release as a base and considering the only thing the extra $10 really covers is Japanese lip-sync and Dualsense support, shouldn't the original release's likely current price value be used as the base, and the PS5 version be $60 or the PS4 version be $70 considering what the $10 more gets you versus what the $20 (for the substantive content) gets you?

Well, the reason for the two different "No" options was to give one as an absolute for people who feel it is never okay, versus those who think it would be okay if circumstances permitted and/or it was justified through the value being added. But thinking on it now maybe tying the latter to a Yes option would've been better.

FWIW I forgot about Ghosts getting a resolution/framerate perf upgrade when making the thread, that's my bad. But it makes the $10 cost on top for PS5 version look even weirder in a way when you consider, outside of the Japanese lip-sync and Dualsense support, all other content is exactly the same between PS4 and PS5 versions.

This isn't about the actual content; the new content more than justifies its cost. It's about the fact that the $10 extra for PS5 version does not cover that additional content, simply lip-sync in cutscenes for Japanese and Dualsense haptic feedback.

Thanks and I appreciate the understanding; this is definitely not for console war shenanigans and I messed up with the title because I legit forgot about the performance upgrade Sucker Punch did a few months back, which was for free.

TBH it's not even that Sony are particularly egregious with this type of stuff; platform holder-wise I think Nintendo is the worst of the three in terms of what they charge for certain things vs. what you're actually getting, and it's not like Microsoft is spotless either considering it wasn't that long ago you still had to pay for MP for FTP games on Xbox.

At this point I'm just wondering if it would be better for Sony to standardize the $70 for PS5 and PS4 SKUs (or in this DLC's case, $30 on both platforms) of their games so at least that way we don't have to ask what the extra $10 is for on one platform. If their business model calls for a $10 price increase for first-party releases then fine, but at least make it appear justified in some way that is substantive, especially considering how things may be on other platforms (outside of third-party games), at least for now.

IMO there's no way to really spin lip-sync for cutscenes and haptic feedback support as worth a $10 premium, so why not just set that new price across all your platforms and roll in those additions with the new content, because at that point people will see the PS5 version as even better value. Which, they already seem to be doing considering cross-platform 1P games are selling much more on PS5 vs. PS4. I'm just thinking about the optics here is all.

But objectively speaking, how much extra work was it to do the Japanese lip-sync for cutscenes or add Dualsense and 3D audio support (the latter two especially, since I'd like to think that's just a bit of new code calling APIs to tap features already built into the hardware) compared to an entire MP mode, or the resolution & framerate increases? You can't really say the scale and complexity of those things are the same.

It'd be like a fighting game coming out for $60 on PS4 but $70 on PS5 and stating the reason why is because they wanted to add support for fight sticks. Like, that's not a good reasoning at all, considering fighting games had no issue in the past keeping similar pricing across devices with fight stick support assumed to naturally be there by fans.

Yes, but if you think about it, the additional DLC is $20 with the extra DualSense/lip-sync/upgraded visuals being $10, which means the original main game isn’t actually $70, it’s $40.

The extra $30 is tacked on from the additions they’re including here.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know what you are on about, when I buy a graphics card. I don't expect to pay a tax for each game to use my graphics card to its fullest abilities. I can understand if this was a old game and they remastered it but its a year old.

I don't mind charging money for the expansion which they should have sold separately.

Then you would be among those who choose not to pay for the upgrade. I don't know why what I'm saying to you is hard to understand.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

It never ceases to amaze me how many gamers suffer from Stockholm Syndrome and will bend over backwards to hand wave away or even embrace publisher greed. Of course it's not "justified" . It's basically a "new gen tax". 🤷‍♂️

That said, personally this doesn't affect me. I never buy games unless they are at least 50% off release MSRP, period. So I guess that means my entry point for new gen games has now gone up from $30 to $35. Ain't no thang but a chicken wing.

j0hnnix

It's not anti-consumer when your consumer will bend over backwards to buy whatever your selling. It's a Sony consumer issue.

ZywyPL

Banned

Anotherone.gif

It does put Sony in a very bad light when many 3rd party publishers update their games with PS5 marketed features for free while having no business in doing so, whereas Sony themselves are charging you for them per game basis while those features are suppose to be the console's selling points...

Last edited:

Anotherone.gif

It does put Sony in a very bad light when many 3rd party publishers update their games with PS5 marketed features for free while having no business in it, whereas Sony themselves are charging you for them per game basis while those features are the console's selling points...
Then go play Xbox.
How much free stuff is given out is proportional to how desperate a company is. Sony know you wouldn't jump ship so they are charging you. You either pay up or leave. Either way don't expect Sony to give you something for free when they are not coming third in the console race.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I can't believe how much bad press Sony has got this year. From things like this to shutting down the vita and PS3 stores, "we believe in generations" fiascos, release date fudging, lack of highly requested patches like Bloodborne, Jim Ryan constantly putting his foot in his mouth, price hikes, etc. I know I'm forgetting some.

Lots of success for Sony right now, which they've earned from the past generations. But this is one of those years we are going to look back on later, guaranteed. Not saying Sony is doomed by any means, but I firmly believe this is all slowly making it's impact on the brand.

I know Ezekiel and other fanboys are going to get triggered by this so let me just say I love PS exclusives. Okay? Are we good? Can this not count as console warring and send some of you into a downward spiral? I love Spider-Man, DS, TLOU...okay? but I'm calling it like I see it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Anotherone.gif

It does put Sony in a very bad light when many 3rd party publishers update their games with PS5 marketed features for free while having no business in doing so, whereas Sony themselves are charging you for them per game basis while those features are suppose to be the console's selling points...
Dirt actually had haptics support on day one since it technically came out a week or so before the launch so they had a PS5 SKU ready on day one. They said at the time that they were not fully happy with their implementation. So this would be the second time they would be updating the game for free.

sainraja

In the 90's I paid more than $70 for games.

I enjoy owning games more than renting.

Your astroturfing is so strong that you can't respond correctly...
Instead of countering what I said about XSX having a actual current gen lineup.. you predictably posted a upcoming lineup.

Then the astroturfing causes you to advertise GP like a cheap MS infomercial and then we get attempted insults.

It's not that serious bro
And we don't really know how Microsoft will price their first party games (we're still waiting on those to release), so what he is saying about the MSRP price of MS first party isn't accurate - Microsoft could price the games to be $69.99. I know Sony's pricing overseas has been inconsistent, but in the U.S, third-party games that are $70 on the PS5 are also $70 on the XSX and games that are $60 on the PS5 are also $60 on the XSX.

In the past, Microsoft has discounted their games to $49.99 (forget the timeframe, I think during the X360 or start of XONE gen) when the standard MSRP was $59.99 but they didn't continue that during the generation they started it. They haven't made any such promises this time. So until they say otherwise, the price of MS first party games will also be $70 to purchase.

Last edited:
Eh, I'll buy that full FAT PS5 Directors Cut edition of GOT IDGAF. Keep the PS4 edition, already runs at 60FPS as is. Obviously, the developer put time and effort into the PS5 edition and the last I checked, they don't work for free. Now, would it be nice if the upgrade was free? You betcha. But, it's $10, TEN AMERICAN DOLLARS.

That's 33 cents a day.

• LOL
Reactions: e&e

John Wick

Then go play Xbox.
How much free stuff is given out is proportional to how desperate a company is. Sony know you wouldn't jump ship so they are charging you. You either pay up or leave. Either way don't expect Sony to give you something for free when they are not coming third in the console race.
This post beggers disbelief.......
Like seriously are you that much up Sony's arse that you can't see the daylight?

Justified may not be the right word. Hard to say its anti consumer but it's certainly not pro consumer, particularly from a company whose tagline is "for the players".

I dont ever believe in paying for technical upgrades, with that logic all PC games would be the most expensive as they over the best specs and as we know the opposite is true.

So the question becomes: are you happy to pay for the iki island expansion? I personally wouldn't have an issue with that if it wasn't for the fact they released an entire multiplayer expansion for free that (at a glance) seem to have a lot more content and re-playability than iki island. With that in mind, yeah seems like a sneaky way to grab some extra cash and pad out the PS5 library.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
C'mon man your one of the more sensible posters on here. I usually agree with what you say mostly as well but not on this.
If other companies can provide free next gen upgrades for free then Sony certainly can. There is no excuse. For the DLC they are getting $20. That should have covered the whole thing but no Sony had to be extra greedy and demand an extra $10 on top.
It would be a fair point if no one else was doing free next gen upgrades and Sony was a small poor developer but no they aren't and this should have been done under the $20 fee.
Sony followed in MS steps to charge for online eagerly didn't they? They should now be just as eager to give free next gen upgrades too.
I respect your different opinion.

My point comes down to this: devs deserve to be paid for their extra work. If they give something away for free, that's fantastic and my thanks to them. If they don't, I won't feel they did something wrong. It's their choice to charge for something or give it away for free. And it's my choice to buy it or not. I honestly don't see the need for complaints in a scenario like this.

It's like, in my office I don't stay late. There are others who do. I work hard for the hours I get paid, and that's it. I'm not obligated to do stay up late if someone else in the office is also doing it. It's between them and the management. If someone shames me into staying late just because someone else is doing it, I'd be pissed.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Eh, I'll buy that full FAT PS5 Directors Cut edition of GOT IDGAF. Keep the PS4 edition, already runs at 60FPS as is. Obviously, the developer put time and effort into the PS5 edition and the last I checked, they don't work for free. Now, would it be nice if the upgrade was free? You betcha. But, it's $10, TEN AMERICAN DOLLARS.

That's 33 cents a day.
You are forced to buy the dlc with it. All up, $30. If there was a $10 upgrade for the base game, this thread wouldn’t exist.

John Wick

And we don't really know how Microsoft will price their first party games (we're still waiting on those to release), so what he is saying about the MSRP price of MS first party isn't accurate - Microsoft could price the games to be $69.99. I know Sony's pricing overseas has been inconsistent, but in the U.S, third-party games that are $70 on the PS5 are also $70 on the XSX and games that are $60 on the PS5 are also $60 on the XSX.

In the past, Microsoft has discounted their games to $49.99 (forget the timeframe, I think during the X360 or start of XONE gen) when the standard MSRP was $59.99 but they didn't continue that during the generation they started it. They haven't made any such promises this time. So until they say otherwise, the price of MS first party games will also be $70 to purchase.
Forza Horizon 5 is $59.99

sainraja

Justified may not be the right word. Hard to say its anti consumer but it's certainly not pro consumer, particularly from a company whose tagline is "for the players".

I dont ever believe in paying for technical upgrades, with that logic all PC games would be the most expensive as they over the best specs and as we know the opposite is true.

So the question becomes: are you happy to pay for the iki island expansion? I personally wouldn't have an issue with that if it wasn't for the fact they released an entire multiplayer expansion for free that (at a glance) seem to have a lot more content and re-playability than iki island. With that in mind, yeah seems like a sneaky way to grab some extra cash and pad out the PS5 library.
There are three things Sony could have done, that they are not.

1. They could have two SKUs for PS5 - one with expansion and one without.
2. Let people who just got the game to upgrade to the PS5 version for free.
3. People who originally purchased Ghost upgrade to PS5 for $10 (if they really must charge - but we should also get it for free :D).

Sony is only offering one SKU of Ghost for the PS5 which includes the expansion and they are not offering a simple path to upgrade for people who got the original game but may not want the expansion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom