• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Is The Last of Us Remake Worth $70? (IGN.com)

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?

• Total voters

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Objectively we need to see extended footage in order to have a sense of the changes and improvements. By the terms of what they say they are updating cut-scenes are the things likely to change the least - which is fine because they only need sprucing up visually.

What I'd hope is that they add the full TLOU2 feature-set and mechanics and lightly reorganize the gameplay to take advantage of those new abilities. Then once they have that add in extra material that really leverages that gameplay. Put in a challenge mode like that found in Days Gone or similar.

The thing that's always weirded me out a bit about ND is that they have always seemed really gunshy about showcasing the gameplay. I can see the argument that they would want to give 100% of their resources to crafting the best cinematic narrative they can within time and budget, but why nothing post release?

You look at TLOU2 and you can tell they took criticisms onboard and tried to make the action better to play, not just better looking. But just offering the ability to revisit encounters in the story is hardly the best showcase, especially when its saddled with pretty obnoxious load-times for what should be bite-sized pieces of additional content.

GHG

Gold Member
  1. It's not out yet
  2. Since when did people get so butthurt over people spending money on games?
  3. Where was this level of concern for people preordering Cyberpunk, Fallout 76, Anthem, Battlefield, Star wars Battlefront 2 and countless other crappy games releases in recent times when worst of all the press actually knew how bad a state those games were in?
Maybe Jim Ryan needs to send these tools a couple of dollars and chairs to make them pipe down.

Corndog

Banned
  1. It's not out yet
  3. Where was this level of concern for people preordering Cyberpunk, Fallout 76, Anthem, Battlefield, Star wars Battlefront 2 and countless other crappy games releases in recent times when worst of all the press actually knew how bad a state those games were in?
Maybe Jim Ryan needs to send these tools a couple of dollars and chairs to make them pipe down.
1. As far as I know none of those games cost 70 bucks or were remakes.
2. Preordering a game you already played is much different then preordering a brand new game. What price did the recent Mass effect trilogy sell for? It was just a remaster but was 3 games for the price of one.
3. Plenty of people complain about preordering games.

GHG

Gold Member
2. Preordering a game you already played is much different then preordering a brand new game. What price did the recent Mass effect trilogy sell for? It was just a remaster but was 3 games for the price of one.

1. It doesn't matter. Companies set prices and people can buy what they want. Nobody is being coerced.
  2. See 1.
  3. Where were the articles from IGN on the subject of people preordering those aforementioned games prior to their releases?

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
I don't think that its worth it.

There is already a playable version of The Last of Us on modern hardware (the remastered version), which has aged remarkably well. It also came with a multiplayer mode (Factions), whereas this remake won't have multiplayer (thus technically a "lesser" product in everything but visuals). The remaster is free on the PS Plus collection and, even if we ignore that, goes for $20 normally and has been regularly on sale for $5 to $10.

For those that are making comparisons to other remakes, like Demons Souls, I think there are some differences in the situations.

First off, until the remake came out, there was no way to actually play Demons Souls natively on modern hardware - the only option was to stream it through PS Now. If we had an HD remaster (with 60 fps) of Demons Souls that was available and natively playable on the PS4 / PS5, I think people would have reacted differently to the Demons Souls remake (in that there would have been far more negativity towards its price point).

Another point worth mentioning (albeit lesser to the prior point) is that the original Demons Souls came out on 2/5/2009 and the remake came out on 11/12/2020 (almost a 12-year gap), whereas Last of Us came out in June 2013 and the remake is coming in September 2022 (approximately a 9-year gap). There is a pretty big difference between early-mid life-cycle PS3 games (like Demons Souls) and late PS3 games (like Last of Us, which was the final major first party Sony game and came out a few months before the PS4), in that the late PS3 games are much closer to the point of diminishing returns (both visually and functionally). The more modern a game is, the longer it will take to truly justify a remake (as it will take longer for a game to feel outdated) - games from the late PS3 era, and especially the PS4 era and onwards, are aging much better.

Three

Gold Member
Work to create The Last of Us Remake:

Refine Gameplay Elements (groundwork already created in TLoU2) > Use Engine from TLoU2 (No new VO or Mo-Cap needed) > Limited Marketing
ND do a lot of hand animating anyway. It's how they do all those meme recreations. They seem to have put in real work on the animations.

PSYGN

Nope, at least not new and not officially. Sony have adopted the Nintendo "Evergreen" strategy for their premier/prestige first party offerings. Demon Soul, Returnal, R&C, etc... are all still $69.99, nearing 2 years later. I wouldn't expect any physical copy overstock firesales either. Considering the majority of people buy digital these days, Sony won't be stuffing physical channels with bargain bin fodder. "Gamers" deserve every shit these companies take on their head.

Ah, good thing I got the disc version of PS5 then to get a used copy. Sadly I think this might be the last console they have a physical version of.

Corndog

Banned
  1. It doesn't matter. Companies set prices and people can buy what they want. Nobody is being coerced.
  2. See 1.
  3. Where were the articles from IGN on the subject of people preordering those aforementioned games prior to their releases?
1. People can’t and do still complain. That’s their right.
2. Yes it does matter. According to your logic, if the game was 500 bucks, it still wouldn’t be ok to complain because no one is forcing you to buy it.
3. None of the mentioned games are remakes except ME remaster. I believe it release for 60 bucks for 3 games and all dlc.
And the IGN article is about the price. You know the thing you ignored in points 1 and 2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
  1. It's not out yet
1. Technically it is. It is literally the same exact game with a visual makeover and the gameplay is lifted from TLOU2. If the game had new levels, new bosses, new cutscenes etc. then we could probably wait and see if it is worth $70, but from the first trailer this is a remake we have seen before from Sony several times before.
2. Since forever? This is not the first time Ive seen people complain about the $70 price tag.
3. Im not sure what this has to do with this game's criticisms. All of those games got destroyed by critics, fans and the outrage mob. The only difference is that it was AFTER they were released. Like I mentioned above, we know exactly what this game is and what its going to be. They didnt even bother upgrading the graphics over TLOU2 or reshooting the cutscenes. We know exactly what it looks like and exactly how its gonna play and it doesnt feel like its worth $70.

Maybe ND comes out and showcases next gen visuals during gameplay and next gen gameplay mechanics with destruction, fancy AI and physics but we all know thats not going to happen. This is on Jim Ryan. Sony used to charge $40 for these remakes last gen. They shouldve stuck to that price range and maybe increased it to $50 for a so-called next gen tax. $70 is nuts for a game we have already played.

Mr Moose

I'm in the "wait until it's £40-ish" camp.
Battlefield was $70/£70.
The standard edition of Battlefield 2041 will cost $59.99/£59.99 on Xbox One and PS4, and £49.99 for PC. For the Xbox Series X or PS5 version, you'll have to pay $69.99/£69.99.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
NO. Video games hardly justify being worth anymore than 30 dollars anyways let alone literally fucking 70 dollars. Paying that exact price for a remake of a game everyone and their grandmother played and dicksucked a decade ago is fucking stupid. Wait for a sale, or if you own a physical PS5 just go look for a physical discount.
It's TLOU, if you played it once you don't even need to play it again. Hell you can just watch the entire thing on youtube and get the full experience anyways

GHG

Gold Member
1. Technically it is. It is literally the same exact game with a visual makeover and the gameplay is lifted from TLOU2. If the game had new levels, new bosses, new cutscenes etc. then we could probably wait and see if it is worth $70, but from the first trailer this is a remake we have seen before from Sony several times before.
2. Since forever? This is not the first time Ive seen people complain about the $70 price tag.
3. Im not sure what this has to do with this game's criticisms. All of those games got destroyed by critics, fans and the outrage mob. The only difference is that it was AFTER they were released. Like I mentioned above, we know exactly what this game is and what its going to be. They didnt even bother upgrading the graphics over TLOU2 or reshooting the cutscenes. We know exactly what it looks like and exactly how its gonna play and it doesnt feel like its worth $70.

Maybe ND comes out and showcases next gen visuals during gameplay and next gen gameplay mechanics with destruction, fancy AI and physics but we all know thats not going to happen. This is on Jim Ryan. Sony used to charge $40 for these remakes last gen. They shouldve stuck to that price range and maybe increased it to $50 for a so-called next gen tax. $70 is nuts for a game we have already played.

Look, I've already said I'm not buying this game, not interested in playing what I've already played with a fresh coat of paint and I think it's a waste of resources for Sony to even be doing this.

With that said, it's a free market - companies are free to sell what they want at the prices they want and people are free to make purchasing decisions accordingly. Nobody is being forced to buy this at $70. If people want it they will buy it, if they don't that will be abundantly clear to Sony.

So my question is, why is it now that the media are up in arms prior to the release of a title (asking about whether it was "worth it") when they were more than happy to be complicit in the pre-release hype campaigns for the likes of Cyberpunk, Anthem, Fallout 76 amongst others despite being aware of the state of those games at the time? What about all the full price re-releases/remasters Nintendo have done over the years? Doesn't make sense to me that this is where they draw the line.

You're trying to tell me that $10 is suddenly the straw that broke the camels back and now the media have decided to be against this of all things, when no doubt in the background they will be drumming to the beat of the hype campaign for the next broken blockbuster release?

Last edited:
Look, I've already said I'm not buying this game, not interested in playing what I've already played with a fresh coat of paint and I think it's a waste of resources for Sony to even be doing this.

With that said, it's a free market - companies are free to sell what they want at the prices they want and people are free to make purchasing decisions accordingly. Nobody is being forced to buy this at $70. If people want it they will buy it, if they don't that will be abundantly clear to Sony.

So my question is, why is it now that the media are up in arms prior to the release of a title (asking about whether it was "worth it") when they were more than happy to be complicit in the pre-release hype campaigns for the likes of Cyberpunk, Anthem, Fallout 76 amongst others despite being aware of the state of those games at the time? What about all the full price re-releases/remasters Nintendo have done over the years? Doesn't make sense to me that this is where they draw the line.

You're trying to tell me that $10 is suddenly the straw that broke the camels back and now the media have decided to be against this of all things, when no doubt in the background they will be drumming to the beat of the hype campaign for the next broken blockbuster release?
It's one article from one guy. The subtitle of the article is one clue about why he may feel differently. The $70 price point is another. The fact its missing features and modes is another. The fact the game released recently originally, and as a remaster is another. The fact that the remaster decreased in price instead of increased is another. It's laid out in the OP honestly.

It's just a conversation the author felt like having and nothing more. Sony advertises the game and tries to convince people to buy it. It's not like it's just released in a vacuum and everyone is free to make up their minds. There is a discussion before any game releases on whether or not it looks worth a purchase. That's one of the most fundamental reasons to even read gaming press.

As for other games that weren't treated critically prior to release, it just kind of sounds like sour grapes to me. Damned if they do and damned if they don't? Again, it's literally one article from one guy.

Personally, I think the game will sell extremely well.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It's one article from one guy. The subtitle of the article is one clue about why he may feel differently. The $70 price point is another. The fact its missing features and modes is another. The fact the game released recently originally, and as a remaster is another. The fact that the remaster decreased in price instead of increased is another. It's laid out in the OP honestly.

It's just a conversation the author felt like having and nothing more. Sony advertises the game and tries to convince people to buy it. It's not like it's just released in a vacuum and everyone is free to make up their minds. There is a discussion before any game releases on whether or not it looks worth a purchase. That's one of the most fundamental reasons to even read gaming press.

As for other games that weren't treated critically prior to release, it just kind of sounds like sour grapes to me. Damned if they do and damned if they don't? Again, it's literally one article from one guy.

Personally, I think the game will sell extremely well.

The outlet ultimately decide whether or not they run a piece or not. Their journalists don't just get free reign, for something to be published it needs approval. You think we would see something like this on IGN for Cyberpunk for example when in the background they were running Cyberpunk advertisements on their site.

It's not sour grapes, it's about seeing things for what they are.

And BTW people are free to make up their own minds. If someone is weak and vulnerable to advertising then that's on them, they need to look in the mirror. There's nobody pointing a gun at their head saying they must buy something. What kind of fucked up blame culture society do we live in if people can't even take accountability for their own purchasing decisions?

Last edited:
The outlet ultimately decide whether or not they run a piece or not. Their journalists don't just get free reign, for something to be published it needs approval. You think we would see something like this on IGN for Cyberpunk for example when in the background they were running Cyberpunk advertisements on their site.

It's not sour grapes, it's about seeing things for what they are.

And BTW people are free to make up their own minds. If someone is weak and vulnerable to advertising then that's on them, they need to look in the mirror. There's nobody pointing a gun at their head saying they must buy something.
If you want to allege that there's some conspiracy involved in this article then you have a lot to prove.
  • Prove that CDPR has more influence over gaming press than Sony
  • Prove that Sony does not advertise on IGN
  • Prove that Fallout 76, Anthem and Cyberpunk never received negative articles.
Good luck. I'm going to just take it at face value.

And I think Altano does have a fair bit of autonomy on what he writes. He's one of the most well known and senior people at IGN.

Last edited:
they've released the same game 3 times in 9 years
Following Rockstar's playbook. Why move forward when you can take your sweet time resting on your laurels?

EDIT: On the other hand, R* only released one other game in that timeframe, ND released the sequel and 2 more Uncharteds, all of which are meaty games, so can't bag on them too much.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

How is the price illegal?

It rapes your wallet so bad it counts as both a physical and emotional crime? 🤷‍♂️

For people that don't own it, haven't played it, full price doesn't seem so bad. I already own the PS4 version that I've never gotten around to starting.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If you want to allege that there's some conspiracy involved in this article then you have a lot to prove.
  • Prove that CDPR has more influence over gaming press than Sony
  • Prove that Sony does not advertise on IGN
  • Prove that Fallout 76, Anthem and Cyberpunk never received negative articles.
Good luck. I'm going to just take it at face value.

And I think Altano does have a fair bit of autonomy on what he writes. He's one of the most well known and senior people at IGN.

It's not about proving anything. He's entitled to his opinion as much as I am mine. Difference is that I don't need approval to post my opinions here since I don't do so in a professional capacity, there's no potential conflict of interest to be had, especially if there are active marketing campaigns for said games running on their site. There were for Cyberpunk, Anthem, etc, there aren't for TLOU.

Show me where IGN have ever published similar articles prior to games releasing asking if they are worth their price and I might change my opinion. I've looked, I can't find any, especially not for the games I mentioned. Until then everything I've said stands. For example this was their Anthem *cough* sponsored *cough* preview, read it and weep:

Nothing to see here, perfectly normal:

igbo6ye2a7i21.png

Search and I'm pretty sure you'll find similar for the other aforementioned games.

It's their job as an outlet to assess these things objectively, hence we have things like previews and reviews, usually that kind of assessment comes then. People have mentioned GTA V, where was their opinion piece on any of those so called remasters questioning whether people should pre-order? Did we not need protecting then?

They've got to do what they have to to keep food on the table though so can't hate too much. Keep cosy with the advertising partners while everyone else is fair game for clickbait and slander in order to get people on the site.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I own this game on PS3 and I have the remaster on PS4. Getting us to shell out over $100 in Australia for a game that will not be any different minus upgraded visuals/possibly sound isn't enough to get me to buy this game again! I played it once and finished it. that was plenty for me! The jump from 30 to 60 frames was a nice addition on PS4 from the PS3 version, but to add updated visuals without ANY new areas or any new story elements means this is a pass for me.

People are free to do what they want with their hard earned but honestly, if you've played this before and purchase this game you must have some screws loose, especially at launch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Last of Us: Part 1, was officially revealed in all its glory during the Summer Game Fest at E3 2022. It was unexpected – its appearance was not on the E3 2022 schedule – and it looked so positively gorgeous.

When we heard rumors and saw leaks of a possible Last of Us PS5 remake on the horizon we didn't think we needed it.... but we found ourselves eating our words faster than a Clicker gnawing on a hapless human's neck. What the hell do I know, anyway?

Topher

Gold Member
I own this game on PS3 and I have the remaster on PS4. Getting us to shell out over $100 in Australia for a game that will not be any different minus upgraded visuals/possibly sound isn't enough to get me to buy this game again! I played it once and finished it. that was plenty for me! The jump from 30 to 60 frames was a nice addition on PS4 from the PS3 version, but to add updated visuals without ANY new areas or any new story elements means this is a pass for me.

People are free to do what they want with their hard earned but honestly, if you've played this before and purchase this game you must have some screws loose, especially at launch.

Why? I loved the game the first time. I think TLOU 2 has improved gameplay. I want to play the original again with TLOU 2's improved gameplay and improved graphics. I'm buying the game at launch.

What puzzles me is why people like you care so much. I don't go around questioning when others make game purchases that I wouldn't make or even question their sanity. It is their money and their choice on what games they buy even if multiple times. Sorry, but your argument just seems silly. Why judge others so much?

Last edited:

MacReady13

Why? I loved the game the first time. I think TLOU 2 has improved gameplay. I want to play the original again with TLOU 2's improved gameplay and improved graphics. I'm buying the game at launch.

What puzzles me is why people like you care so much. I don't go around questioning when others make game purchases that I wouldn't make or even question their sanity. It is their money and their choice on what games they buy even if multiple times. Sorry, but your argument just seems silly. Why judge others so much?
I clearly said people are free to do what they want with their money. I just think they’re crazy to buy at launch! But spend as you like.

Nautilus

Banned
Sony is free to charge whatever it wants.So I feel like it a bit useless asking it if it worth it or not.

This game's main job is to restore the franchise's reputation after TLOU 2 completely butchered it. So in that sense, making it cheaper would have been the better move. But Sony knows this will sell regardless, and the game does look great. So I feel like the price was never a point of contention.

MMaRsu

Banned
why is Mario Strikers a full priced game? did they put in as many man hours as LoU2? should LoU2 be $200?

The logic is not sound.

The LoU remake is worth that much to me (Fans), new people to PS, people who didn't play the first game and people on PC. It certainly holds enough value being upgraded to current gen standards.
Thats Nintendo.

DavidGzz

If you're not in the market for this remake, quit bitching. If you can't spend 70 measly bucks for a game you want, wait for a sale.

Hezekiah

Banned

Agreed.

I think it should be £40 or £50 tops, however nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head telling them to buy it. And frankly there are plenty of people who pump more money into crap like Fortnite, Valorant, and CoD.

dezzy8

I’ll wait a couple of months for the inevitable price drop or addition to ps plus. It’s probably going to be 30-45 dollars on Black Friday anyways.

anthony2690

Banned
It's always telling when you compare and contrast the reception for Capcoms 100th remaster/remake of RE4. Love RE4 too by the way but I don't see the same bullshit about "RE4 PC still holds up well", "it was already remastered" and all that crap:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/resident-evil-4-remake-is-releasing-on-3-24-2023.1637361/
I guess the difference is price? RE4 remaster is only £15.99 day one for anyone that wanted it.

Tlou1 remaster was £50 on PS4.
& The tlou1 remake is £70 on ps5 with multiplayer/factions cut.

& RE4 Remake is £50-55 (most likely even cheaper on pc) from looking at preorders in the UK, but even still it's a remake off a 20 year old game that is showing it's age quite a bit now & looks drastically different/better, it seems like a game that genuinely could do with a remake.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
I guess the difference is price? RE4 remaster is only £15.99 day one for anyone that wanted it.

Tlou1 remaster was £50 on PS4.
& The tlou1 remake is £70 on ps5 with multiplayer/factions cut.

& RE4 Remake is £50-55 (most likely even cheaper on pc) from looking at preorders in the UK, but even still it's a remake off a 20 year old game that is showing it's age quite a bit now & looks drastically different/better, it seems like a game that genuinely could do with a remake.
TLOU1 and TLOU1 PS4 remaster launched within a year of eachother. It was essentially a port release for the new console straight after and even then could be found for under £20 pretty soon.

Anyway I've voted no because I personally wouldn't get it at that price either but the bullshit excuses about "it was already remastered", "it still holds up and didn't need a remaster" are annoying. Just say it's not worth the price for you and you won't buy it, the other reasons are excuses. TLOU was showing its age too just like the RE4 remasters. TLOU1 remake's graphics/systems are drastically improved. RE4 remake and TLOU1 remake are going to be around the same price.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
TLOU1 and TLOU1 PS4 remaster launched within a year of eachother. It was essentially a port release for the new console straight after and even then could be found for under £20 pretty soon.

Anyway I've voted no because I personally wouldn't get it at that price either but the bullshit excuses about "it was already remastered", "it still holds up and didn't need a remaster" are annoying. Just say it's not worth the price for you and you won't buy it, the other reasons are excuses. TLOU was showing its age too just like the RE4 remasters. TLOU1 remake's graphics/systems are drastically improved. RE4 remake and TLOU1 remake are going to be around the same price.

I did say it wasn't worth the price, I don't think any game is worth £70 though ($94 USD)

And no in the uk, TLOU1 is £64.99-69.99 & resident evil 4 is £49.99-£54.99 currently

The visual improvements are impressive though, I won't deny that.

But this £70 price tag in the UK, needs to hurry up and go away.

£60 makes more sense as that is $71.70 USD, if they really want to increase the price of games over here.

Top Bottom