• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Is The Last of Us Remake Worth $70? (IGN.com)

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?

• Total voters

93xfan

Banned
No game is worth $70 imo. For what? To do the same shit I’ve done a hundred times already?
I wait until shit’s on sale. Not no wimpy ass Nintendo “sale” either - I’m talking nice discounts.
Some games arguably are. Smash Bros. Ultimate, Skyrim, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Halo MCC. But not one that’s a remake of a re-release minus the MP. The sequel had more work put in, and was $60.

Feels like they’re charging us for their training on PS5 hardware.

Some games arguably are. Smash Bros. Ultimate, Skyrim, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Halo MCC. But not one that’s a remake of a re-release minus the MP. The sequel had more work put in, and was $60.

Feels like they’re charging us for their training on PS5 hardware.
Wait, so this doesn't come with the multiplayer?

oh shit GIF

Industry is reaching new lows. I really hope this trend of shitty remakes ends soon and we get to see some actual new games.

93xfan

Banned
Goodness fuck, haven’t any of the whinny bitches in this thread heard of Black Friday? Wait 2 months problem solved.
So you also don't think it's worth $70 either? Good to know and glad to help you get back on topic. Had this been Black Friday, I would've been glad to offer the same service to one other angry friend of your choosing. How's that for a deal?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
As a hardcore PlayStation fan let me add my two cents (the question posed being *highly* subjective):

- I've bought and beaten the game 2x, bought and finished the DLC, it's absolutely NOT worth it *for me* to shell out $70 to do it all over again for the 3rd time.

- if for some reason you've never played TLoU then it is absolutely, unequivocally a MUST BUY, the game is a masterpiece and - judged for it's time - better than the sequel.

If you find the $70 too steep the solution is simple: don't buy it. I'm sure there are those that loved the game, already beat it a couple of times and will still happily pay that $70 day 1, that's their choice, the "worth" of something is relative. I will definitely get it at some point though, just far from being a priority and something I feel compelled to revisit at this moment in time.

Salz01

Can't even get Factions out, but here we are with a remake we don't need. IMO
I’m so annoyed it’s not coming with Factions. It’s another way to nickel and dime us though on a future game…

Its bullshit and needs to be called out. It’s the 3rd time they are selling this game and it’s with less content.

MScarpa

I’m so annoyed it’s not coming with Factions. It’s another way to nickel and dime us though on a future game…

Its bullshit and needs to be called out. It’s the 3rd time they are selling this game and it’s with less content.
Don't get me wrong, I'm never mad at more options, but this gen, Sony has really been putting it to their customers, and it's very disheartening. It's what we get with no competition last gen.

Aenima

Wait, so this doesn't come with the multiplayer?

oh shit GIF

Industry is reaching new lows. I really hope this trend of shitty remakes ends soon and we get to see some actual new games.
Coming without the multiplayer is expected as they are creating a new standalone multiplayer TLOU game. Whats weird is they didnt bothered remaking the DLC "Left Behind" that is included in the Remaster and is actually great.
Edit - The Left Behind DLC was also remade. I read it wrong.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
As a hardcore PlayStation fan let me add my two cents (the question posed being *highly* subjective):

- I've bought and beaten the game 2x, bought and finished the DLC, it's absolutely NOT worth it *for me* to shell out $70 to do it all over again for the 3rd time.

- if for some reason you've never played TLoU then it is absolutely, unequivocally a MUST BUY, the game is a masterpiece and - judged for it's time - better than the sequel.

If you find the $70 too steep the solution is simple: don't buy it. I'm sure there are those that loved the game, already beat it a couple of times and will still happily pay that $70 day 1, that's their choice, the "worth" of something is relative. I will definitely get it at some point though, just far from being a priority and something I feel compelled to revisit at this moment in time.
That’s a good solution. When a company does something greedy, just be silent and don’t make your voice known. Simply don’t buy the product, but make absolute sure you don’t make your unhappiness known to anyone else.

It’s the proper way to be a good consumer.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
That’s a good solution. When a company does something greedy, just be silent and don’t make your voice known. Simply don’t buy the product, but make absolute sure you don’t make your unhappiness known to anyone else.

It’s the proper way to be a good consumer.

You have the capability to write and read (though your comprehension is limited) so I will assume you're only mildly retarded?

Nowhere did I say you shouldn't make your feelings on the topic at hand known. You also conveniently skip past the part where I say it's *absolutely* worth $70 to those that haven't experienced it before in which case the concept of "greed" doesn't enter the equation. Those who think they *are* being greedy won't buy it anyway and even someone like me who doesn't necessarily think they are being greedy won't buy it either for the reasons stated.

Beyond that my very first sentence states this is a *highly subjective* question, time to pull out your Webster's Dictionary and look up subjectivity, thank me later 👍

93xfan

Banned
You have the capability to write and read (though your comprehension is limited) so I will assume you're only mildly retarded?

Nowhere did I say you shouldn't make your feelings on the topic at hand known. You also conveniently skip past the part where I say it's *absolutely* worth $70 to those that haven't experienced it before in which case the concept of "greed" doesn't enter the equation. Those who think they *are* being greedy won't buy it anyway and even someone like me who doesn't necessarily think they are being greedy won't buy it either for the reasons stated.

Beyond that my very first sentence states this is a *highly subjective* question, time to pull out your Webster's Dictionary and look up subjectivity, thank me later 👍
Thanks professor. Now I know opinions are subjective.

You presented what you called a “solution.” Is “don’t buy something you don’t want to spend money on” supposed to help us intellectually inferior people? Those who didn’t want to spend $70 really didn’t know what to do and we were in a panic until you graced us with your revelation.

Please swoop in sooner next time.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Coming without the multiplayer is expected as they are creating a new standalone multiplayer TLOU game. Whats weird is they didnt bothered remaking the DLC "Left Behind" that is included in the Remaster and is actually great.
Left Behind is included in the remake. And it was also remade. The trailer includes the LB content. And it would be awesome if they included some content that was probably cut from the original release.

Aenima

Left Behind is included in the remake. And it was also remade. The trailer includes the LB content. And it would be awesome if they included some content that was probably cut from the original release.
Thanks for clarifying. I read it wrong in the IGN article.
Yeah i just rewatched the trailer and thers footage from the Left Behind DLC.

HYDE

Banned
So you also don't think it's worth $70 either? Good to know and glad to help you get back on topic. Had this been Black Friday, I would've been glad to offer the same service to one other angry friend of your choosing. How's that for a deal?
Goodness fuck are you illiterate?

93xfan

Banned
Goodness fuck, haven’t any of the whinny bitches in this thread heard of Black Friday? Wait 2 months problem solved.

Goodness fuck are you illiterate?
I’m worried I may become that way if I keep reading posts that start with the words “Goodness fuck.”

The topic, btw is:

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?​

But keep yelling at us for answering the question without imagining an upcoming sale.

Last edited:
GTFO with this cash grab. I will buy it at its actual price that is 20$. Im not loyalist fanboy who will pay 70$ for a remake which is not much different from remastered.

Now RE4 remake, now thats proper remake. I will buy that full price

Last edited:

drezz

That would be great!
If the do add the prone, rope tossing and stuff, they might just add some new stuff here and there.. Climbing high places and do stuff or crawling through some tight space to unknown locations.
Anything extra is good... have them make up for the lack of MP.

Three

Gold Member
What I find most frustrating about £70 games is that some publishers (mainly Sony and Activision) say ‘costs of making games have increased significantly’, yet they talk about record profits and seem to make more money year on year.

Without access to the real data and by taking things at face value, I don’t think £70 is justifiable for a game when they start talking about record profits. When publishers are struggling and games aren’t even breaking even, sure it’s understandable. Currently though, in this economic climate, I don’t get it.

With this game in particular, it’s just a graphical reimagining of an older title that still looks great. It seems really unnecessary. However, I do appreciate that I’m probably not the target audience.
Most the major publishers charge £70 including Take-Two and EA not just the ones you mentioned. The cost of games increasing is real but they mostly make high revenue and not record profits. The profits are coming from the mobile games, f2p games with mtx that Activision and co are making. So the AAA games that don't have these mtxs are suffering from the increased cost and lower sales.

HYDE

Banned
I’m worried I may become that way if I keep reading posts that start with the words “Goodness fuck.”

The topic, btw is:

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?​

But keep yelling at us for answering the question without imagining an upcoming sale.
Thanks for answering my question fucktard. Also acknowledging that you’re a whinny bitch.

Last edited:

Begleiter

I played the original and regretted paying full retail for that, can't imagine parting with £70 for a slightly shinier version. It's been a real waste of resources on Sony's part, too.

93xfan

Banned
Thanks for answering my question fucktard. Also acknowledging that you’re a whinny bitch.
Enjoy imagining that half off sale two months after release.

Goodness fuck what a fun time it is to imagine that.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Enjoy imagining that half off sale two months after release.

Goodness fuck what a fun time it is to imagine that.
Goodness fuck get a job poor whinny bitch. Never once said I needed money or had a prob with the price. Hence illiteracy…

Last edited:
What a weird question, and what a nothingburger of a "hot topic"! Simple: If you deem it worth your time and money, get the remake; if not, don't. Why does it feel like ND/Sony are putting a gun against every whiner's head, forcing them to buy a copy?
This is the most idiotic controversy ever...

Last edited:
Game. Set. Match.

Cant make this shit up :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

LOL.

In what way is the RE4 remake any different? I hope your post was a joke.

I’m really not sure what a proper remake is supposed to be. I think TLOU2 could be considered one because they are remaking the game for the PS5. Also from the sounds of it I don’t think it’s a straight 1:1 remake like Demon Souls. Now the removal of the multiplayer does make me question it a little. But from what I’ve seen the Single player portion is definitely getting overhauled.

93xfan

Banned
Again, this thread is meant for people discussing if they think it’s worth $70. A hypothetical future sale is irrelevant, unless you find someone saying they’ll never buy it because it’s always going to be $70. Having seen someone like this, but maybe you can make an alt account for your straw man argument to validate your childish behavior.

Hope you wise up and chill out some day

Considering this is getting released as a native 4K title, I really hope they upgrade TLOU 2 to 4K as well on PS5 considering they use the same damn engine. Not sure why its taking them so long.

I love TLOU and it's an amazing game, but this remake isn't necessary at all. The improvements over the PS4 Pro version look minimal at best based on the footage shown so far and they want to charge $70?!? Get the fuck outta here lol

Game. Set. Match.

Cant make this shit up :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

LOL.

RE4 remake is not limited to enhance redone cutscenes. Its basically brand new game with RE4 name.

RE2 was is different in every aspect from gameplay to graphics n all. Tlou remake is pretty much identical except cutscenes and all reworked using sequel technology. They have put some effort to enhanced Tlou 1 but its not good enough to warrant a 70$ tag.

And i like both Tlou games, i have platinum both games. But i will not support greedy practices.

Im not slave to PS brand. I don't buy anything which they put out blindly like some of ps fans.

Last edited:

skit_data

I find it funny questioning a $70 price tag for a remake of one of the arguably best games made.
I’d be more pissed if i bought a $60 shit game than a $70 masterpiece but no one argues about the price of those games despite them having been around since the inception of gaming.

Topher

Gold Member
RE4 remake is not limited to enhance redone cutscenes. Its basically brand new game with RE4 name.

RE2 was is different in every aspect from gameplay to graphics n all. Tlou remake is pretty much identical except cutscenes and all reworked using sequel technology. They have put some effort to enhanced Tlou 1 but its not good enough to warrant a 70$ tag.

And i like both Tlou games, i have platinum both games. But i will not support greedy practices.

Im not slave to PS brand. I don't buy anything which they put out blindly like some of ps fans.

Buying this game doesn't make anyone a "slave to PS brand". I'm looking forward to replaying the game and reliving the story, but with TLOU 2 enhancements. That is appealing to me and something I'm willing to pay for. That's me. If the price is too high for you then that's about you, no one else. Value is entirely subjective.

Last edited:

drezz

Considering this is getting released as a native 4K title, I really hope they upgrade TLOU 2 to 4K as well on PS5 considering they use the same damn engine. Not sure why its taking them so long.
I'd bet we would get a patch End of December or Early January.
Just to keep Last of us on peoples radar, building up to the start of the series.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There will probably be a native PS5 version for Part 2 closer to the show, and they will probably have a bundle with the two games as well when that happens.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I love TLOU and it's an amazing game, but this remake isn't necessary at all. The improvements over the PS4 Pro version look minimal at best based on the footage shown so far and they want to charge $70?!? Get the fuck outta here lol

When was the last time you played TLOU2? Global illumination shown in the trailer appears a solid step above TLOU2 with much better indirect lighting and shadowing. Not to mention other gameplay advancements we have yet to see. I think the devs are correct in assuming many will change their minds in favor of the remake once more is shown.

k7tbkl1.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Game. Set. Match.

LOL.

You can hardly call the RE4 remake the same game as RE4, they changed a lot, even down to the color palette which sports more of a dark blue as opposed to the sepia tones of the original.
The game will sport more of a horror focused tone with gameplay and story more in line with the first 3 resis which were all horror oriented and were actually meant to scare you, and had far more slow paced methodical gameplay about inventory and resource mangement (which was toned down in RE4 in exchanged for more fast paced decision making gun gameplay about crowd control and managing the more dangerous enemies)
It's not just a remake it's a full blown reimagining. The only things it takes from the original is the location, plot and characters. You're paying 70 dollars for what's essentially a brand new experience taking a few elements from stuff in the past, like FF7 Remake.
TLOU Part 1 is literally just a graphical overhaul with a few gameplay enhancements. It's no different from the crash and spyro remakes, but those were 30 dollars for 3 games. This is 70 dollars for 1 game.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, capcom has more of a reason to remake RE4 seeing as how they did RE1, RE2, and RE3 previously. an RE4 remake was expected and it'd be a surprise if we DIDN'T get it more than anything.

93xfan

Banned
You can hardly call the RE4 remake the same game as RE4, they changed a lot, even down to the color palette which sports more of a dark blue as opposed to the sepia tones of the original.
The game will sport more of a horror focused tone with gameplay and story more in line with the first 3 resis which were all horror oriented and were actually meant to scare you, and had far more slow paced methodical gameplay about inventory and resource mangement (which RE4 heavily toned down on in exchanged for more fast paced decision making gun gameplay about crowd control and managing the more dangerous enemies)
It's not just a remake it's a full blown reimagining. The only things it takes from the original is the location, plot and characters. You're paying 70 dollars for what's essentially a brand new experience taking a few elements from stuff in the past, like FF7 Remake.
TLOU Part 1 is literally just a graphical overhaul with a few gameplay enhancements. It's no different from the crash and spyro remakes, but those were 30 dollars for 3 games. This is 70 dollars for 1 game.
Hold on. Facts like these are impolite. You’re going to make some people really angry with these truths. Some of them can barely hold it together that others have different opinions.

brian0057

Banned
The game will sport more of a horror focused tone with gameplay and story more in line with the first 3 resis which were all horror oriented and were actually meant to scare you, and had far more slow paced methodical gameplay about inventory and resource mangement (which RE4 heavily toned down on in exchanged for more fast paced decision making gun gameplay about crowd control and managing the more dangerous enemies)

Words these days have no meaning.
This video is evergreen on the topic.

Top Bottom