• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera's GX web browser for gamers, reaches 20 million monthly active users.

Fuz

Banned
Social problem?
It's pushing closed architecture on users, and most people arenìt tech savy enough and don't know enough about the issues to react. This is gonna make a worse and worse internet for us all, fully controlled by corps without any space for manuever (pretty much the same thing microsoft is doing with Windows). Baby steps, the principle of Overton's Window.
Yes, it's a social problem.

tkscz

I competed in the OperaGX no-internet-page gamejam contest. I should have won!!1! My game Doggynet Down (HTML5) was superior!1!!!
Well that was fun, sucks you didn't win man.

I still use Firefox but my son uses OperaGX and boy it's a RAM hog. Not as bad as Chrome but it's up there and it's super distracting to look at. I'll stick with Firefox.

drotahorror

Vivaldi is so good, almost 3 years ago I must have forgot that I disabled automatic updates.

A couple weeks ago I checked my version on Vivaldi and I was closing in on a nearly 3 year old version. For a browser to perform that well, for an old ass version, what would make me change to Opera?

HTK

Banned
I'm so used to Chrome and have everything connected there so yeah....I don't see myself moving over for any browser to be honest. If Chrome uses more RAM it's whatever, I got 32GB so I'm good.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I used to work for Opera for more than 10 years until they decided to massacre a whole engineering department, move everything to Poland and sell it to China.
This your browser?

favicon.svg

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Tried back in the day when was launched, but didn't see the appeal. Got back to Firefox and I'm mostly fine - I have a bug that when I write stuff at a forum, sometimes jumps a paragraph by itself and I have to delete it

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Also blindly promoted by Youtubers/streamers that don't understand a fucking thing except for the money in their pockets.

See kamikoto knives or established titles, curiously both are essentially scams owned and created by the same Chinese fund.

Also an example of something heavily promoted by “content creators” oblivious to everything but a paycheck.

Last edited:

Tams

I used to work for Opera for more than 10 years until they decided to massacre a whole engineering department, move everything to Poland and sell it to China.
If it's any consolation, I thought it was a great browser. I'd even have paid a subscription (not too much though) to keep Presto Opera alive (and out of Chinese hands).

Vindicator

Using GX since 2019 when i got my Rig, can't complain works like it should as it was described as a relatively slim Browser.
Already had 32GB RAM back then so it probably doesn't matter but still sticking to this, also liked the implementation of workspaces, the gaming aesthetic is rather secondary, the Tab is useful to check what games are currently free or on sale.
Thats just for my gaming Rig at home, usually running Vivaldi.

jaysius

Banned
See kamikoto knives or established titles, curiously both are essentially scams owned and created by the same Chinese fund.

Also an example of something heavily promoted by “content creators” oblivious to everything but a paycheck.
You left out that awful mental health service that was proven to be more of a scam than anythng.

Also noom that apparently for years was almost impossible to quit due to the scammy nature the way it was setup.

NordVPN with the TOP NOTCH INTERNET PRIVACY SECURITY that had a massive data leak years ago, and didn't come out about it until they were pressed about it.

99% of Youtube sponsors are shit and low tier brands with lofty promises that are usually false.

Top Bottom