• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OP has brain shutdown, posts on neogaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Last of Us Remake's $70 price tag is getting some serious pushback lately, but these two games are starting to piss me off.

Just tried to buy MLB The Show 22 after seeing the Xbox $29.99 promotion, but the promotion is only on Xbox and Switch. The fucking PS5 version is still $70!! I get that MLB is publishing the game on Xbox, but come the fuck on. This is a PLAYSTATION IP. At least match the price drop if you arent willing to make it available for 'free' on your $120 a year service.

Not to be outdone by Jimbo, in a year where Xbox has very little exclusives, MS chose not to make Forza Hot Wheel's expansion free on Gamepass. This is probably their biggest exclusive of the year, and it's not on gamepass. I paid $1 for 3 months and still feel ripped off. I didnt even think that was possible.

My question to gaf is 'Does #PriceGate sound good?'. Should we go with #GreedGate? Should Sony change their motto to #4TheXboxNintendoPCGamers?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
uhhhmmm then I wonder how I am able to play it lol... so either Microsoft randomly gifted me the DLC or it is in gamepass ;)
Really? Its asking me to pay $19.99 on the store page.

sG5TuDF.jpg

Should Sony change their motto to #4TheXboxNintendoPCGamers?
That gave me a good chuckle. Sony has no need to change their price or be consumer friendly as long as they are in the lead and synonomous with gaming in most regions. My ps5 is my exclusive box cause I know deals and good will is rare in he sony ecosystem...still better than nintendo some how.

ViolentP

The Last of Us Remake's $70 price tag is getting some serious pushback lately, but these two games are starting to piss me off.

Just tried to buy MLB The Show 22 after seeing the Xbox $29.99 promotion, but the promotion is only on Xbox and Switch. The fucking PS5 version is still $70!! I get that MLB is publishing the game on Xbox, but come the fuck on. This is a PLAYSTATION IP. At least match the price drop if you arent willing to make it available for 'free' on your $120 a year service.

Not to be outdone by Jimbo, in a year where Xbox has very little exclusives, MS chose not to make Forza Hot Wheel's expansion free on Gamepass. This is probably their biggest exclusive of the year, and it's not on gamepass. I paid $1 for 3 months and still feel ripped off. I didnt even think that was possible.

My question to gaf is 'Does #PriceGate sound good?'. Should we go with #GreedGate? Should Sony change their motto to #4TheXboxNintendoPCGamers?

The only time you look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don't look in your neighbor's bowl to see if you have as much as them.

sainraja

Prices went up this generation to $70. It's not a Sony thing no matter how much the other fanboys would like you to believe. With Game Pass, you are promised first party games as part of the subscription but not any add-ons or expansion DLC — you still have to pay for those.
People complained when prices went up to $59.99 too but it became the norm. The price factor of games is a little weird this generation due to the different ways one can access content (e.g. via subscription services) so for some people, the actual cost of the game is what matters, while for others the price they pay monthly is what matters.

Last edited:

Relique

Gamepass almost never includes DLC even for first party stuff. I wouldn't expect DLC in the future either. I guess that's their way to monetize the big AAA stuff that is given away. I think this is the biggest weakness of the service. Even some first party stuff that I am interested in like Doom Eternal I'd never be able to play the full experience on Gamepass so I just hold off until the complete edition is on sale somewhere.

The only exception is some GaaS stuff like Sea of Thieves and Fallout 76. Even then they aren't consistent with it because Elder Scrolls Online isn't included.

K' Dash

dude is getting 3 months of GP with tons of games for $1 and feels ripped off.

the entitlement... the fucking nerve, Jesus H Christ....

GP was never a solution for not buying games ever again, DLCs are never included on the service. Now you know.

Pay the $20... or not, nobody gives a fuck.

Last edited:
First party paid DLC never goes on game pass. Gears Hivebusters is the *only* exception.

No idea why anyone would get shocked at what's been the standard SOP.

That may be the case but it doesn't really make any sense given the strategy of GamePass.

Like, there's already a dearth of GP content in 2022...and Phil couldn't even give a DLC away to incentivize more adoption?

Justin9mm

I personally don't GAF (< see what I did there hehe) about MLB The Show but I'm really annoyed about having to pay for the Forza Hot Wheels DLC.

I have GP Ultimate and I think it should at least be free with that given the game is a 1st party Xbox Exclusive.. That was the deal with GP, that we get the Exclusives, we shouldn't be locked out to shit like this. It's just a case of the Xbox/Dev wanting to make bank on something they know is highly desirable and popular.

I guarantee they wouldn't have cared to give us another Hot Wheels if it was just going to be part of Gamepass, they wouldn't have bothered with the effort.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That may be the case but it doesn't really make any sense given the strategy of GamePass.

Like, there's already a dearth of GP content in 2022...and Phil couldn't even give a DLC away to incentivize more adoption?

A dearth of first party content sure, but not a dearth on new content, including day 1 stuff, in general. I disagree with that part.

Fox Mulder

Forza Horizon 5 is probably the biggest player base in the franchise history. Makes sense to sell the dlc to a game people can play on Gamepass. If it pulls you in it’s just $20.

But mlb the show on Gamepass is hilarious as it totally got me to switch to playing it on the Xbox. They basically stole an exclusive from Sony through MLB.

Last edited:
Gamepass has never really included dlc. I dont expect that to change. The Hot Wheels expansion is a traditional, old school style full game expansion and its very reasonably priced. Its a timely addition to a very large base game.

I dont see an issue with any aspect of it. But I wish you luck on your quest to get people outraged. I think you'll have an uphill battle though.

sainraja

If they were to release a full edition game later on, that might include add-ons and DLC. I don't think any first party game they put on game pass will come with DLC packs that they release later at-least until a full edition of that same game comes out or something. This could still change BUT I think they are still trying to figure out what works and doesn't work in a subscription....like what the value vs cost benefit is or should be.

Last edited:

Jaybe

MS chose not to make Forza Hot Wheel's expansion free on Gamepass. This is probably their biggest exclusive of the year, and it's not on gamepass.
I completely believe it’s ludicrous that MS doesn’t include DLC for their catalog of first party games on Game Pass. Do they want to be the Netflix of gaming? Do they want player engagement and subscriptions? What logic tells them that it’s sensible to hive off DLC content for sale but its the core selling point of the platform is to release full first party games Day 1 on the service. At the end of the day, their first party content and should be on Game Pass in whatever form it is. It’s like Nextflix charging extra for the Black Mirror Christmas special (John Hamm is fantastic in it btw). It’s also inconsistent as Gears Hivebusters is in GPU. Then we have things like Fallout 4 Seasons Pass which cost more than the GOTY edition of the game when both are put on sale. Any way, then not including DLC is very disappointing as a subscriber and a missed opportunity to increase subs, engagement, and value for paying customer.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Forza Horizon 5 is probably the biggest player base in the franchise history. Makes sense to sell the dlc to a game people can play on Gamepass. If it pulls you in it’s just $20.

But mlb the show on Gamepass is hilarious as it totally got me to switch to playing it on the Xbox. They basically stole an exclusive from Sony through MLB.

Not really, because sales improved on PS.

Plus, it being on Xbox Gamepass is something MS paid for. Sony also makes money off their ports. No one is losing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
I completely believe it’s ludicrous that MS doesn’t include DLC for their catalog of first party games on Game Pass. Do they want to be the Netflix of gaming? Do they want player engagement and subscriptions? What logic tells them that it’s sensible to hive off DLC content for sale but its the core selling point of the platform is to release full first party games Day 1 on the service. At the end of the day, their first party content and should be on Game Pass in whatever form it is. It’s like Nextflix charging extra for the Black Mirror Christmas special (John Hamm is fantastic in it btw). It’s also inconsistent as Gears Hivebusters is in GPU. Then we have things like Fallout 4 Seasons Pass which cost more than the GOTY edition of the game when both are put on sale. Any way, then not including DLC is very disappointing as a subscriber and a missed opportunity to increase subs, engagement, and value for paying customer.
I think you bring great points. This likely points to their strategy not being profitable.

It also points towards a future where only the 'base' game is included in the subscription, and a whole bunch of paid-DLC, microtransactions, cosmetics, etc, are thrown on top.

These corporations, with time, will figure out the minimum amount of 'game content" needs to be included in the subscription plan to keep people subscribed.

This year's been pretty dry as far as their first party releases, so we're already seeing them test the waters.

Nydius

Not to be outdone by Jimbo, in a year where Xbox has very little exclusives, MS chose not to make Forza Hot Wheel's expansion free on Gamepass.
I realize this is a slight apples to oranges comparison since Forza is exclusive and Outriders is not, but this statement reminds me of all the salty people on Twitter who bitched and moaned at Square-Enix for not putting Outriders: Worldslayer on Game Pass. They believed they were entitled to the expansion on GP simply because the original game was a day one Game Pass release.

Unless it's an ultimate edition re-release, DLC doesn't typically come with Game Pass, not even for first party games. There are only a very few notable exceptions like Gears 5 adding Hivebusters and the GOTY Edition of Flight Simulator. It's been like this for years. We didn't get Forza Horizon 4 premium DLC and when Flight Sim was originally listed it was just the standard version. The only reason we'll get Halo Infinite DLC is because it's F2P, so everyone gets it.

This has always been the concept behind Game Pass. They still want you spending money, but they'll take the loss on selling certain things to try to entice you to spend more elsewhere. And who's to say that the MLB The Show situation isn't exactly as MLB (or Sony) wants it? While the PS version is still selling physical and digital copies, maybe Xbox users, who have it for "free" are spending more on stubs and card packs...

Last edited:

MScarpa

That gave me a good chuckle. Sony has no need to change their price or be consumer friendly as long as they are in the lead and synonomous with gaming in most regions. My ps5 is my exclusive box cause I know deals and good will is rare in he sony ecosystem...still better than nintendo some how.
Why limit yourself to 1 box/platform? Never understood this.

I happily bought the FH5 addons shortly after launch because the game was so good, and I hadn't paid for it (specifically). Happily. Would have been distinctly unhappy if they had then included it. I think it's a good model tbh. Sustainable. I think it's a good model tbh. Sustainable.

I will never pay $70 for a game on the other hand. Wait for sale/subscription service - every single time.

Nydius

I'm not buying the Hot Wheels expansion. It feels wrong to release all of your games day one on Gamepass, then charge for the expansions.
Highlighted the key word in your post.

Game Pass marketing has always said you'd get the full standard game. You're not entitled to future expansions to the base game just because you have Game Pass. You still have the full original game available to you, which is what you bought Game Pass for.

It seemed logical to me that this was always the intended monetization model for Game Pass beyond the standard subscription price. If someone wants premium addons or future DLC they have to pay for them. If they're fine without, they don't have to pay anything beyond the subscription fee.

Lasha

How can you feel ripped off when the entire base game is included with gamepass? Play base FH5 and by the time you run out of stuff to do you will think 20$ is a fair price for more.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Gamepass is a service, that still incentives purchases. If you want to buy the game you get it discounted and dlc is rarely included. They want you to buy it. If its good enough and warrants a purchase...buy it :) if you don't want to buy the dlc because you don't own the full game...buy the full game and the dlc...I'm sure turn 10 deserve the money.

Maybe you can grab a cheaper key online or something.

As for the MLB thing that sounds crazy.

Fredrik

I actually haven’t bought a single game on Xbox since 2020 but I’ve probably played 50 since then, including 50 hours of Forza Horizon 5. So personally I thought it was okay to pay $16 (161SEK) for the Hot Wheels expansion considering it’s so unique it could’ve been sold as a stand-alone game.

I agree on TLOU Part 1 though. I think they should have used it to sell PS+ Premium/Extra subscriptions.
And I’ll try to wait until it comes to PS+ Premium, if I’m too weak to do that then maybe I can manage to wait until a sale. The $70 you talk about is actually $83 (849SEK) in my country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom