• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only on Game Pass: Will we eventually see Game Pass Exclusives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfuian

As Microsoft continues to shift it's focus to a service based model, Game Pass with cloud integration, could we eventually see games from them that are exclusive to the service, as in not for sale outside of Game Pass? Or timed exclusive to the service?

Curious if this is something we might eventually see from them. Is it a viable strategy to grow subs? Or for example, once the cloud is better integrated, is it reasonable to assume some experiences will only be possible on that platform?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hope so, and for two reasons.

First, it will lead the way for further games to be released as GP exclusives (Like TV streaming services such as Netflix have exclusive content) and will then hopefully lead to a majority of AAA third party games releasing their games on GP day one. Who want to spend £70 on a single game nowadays? Lol

Second, it would make more money for Microsoft. However, if I was in charge I'd go a step further. Rather than making the odd game a Gamepass exclusive, I'd make the whole Xbox market place Gamepass exclusive. Want to access your library or 'purchase' future games? Sure, but only with a GP sub.

Think of the numbers if Microsoft went through with the above? Not only would they dramatically increase, but it would also mean third parties would be begging to release their games on Gamepass day one.

So yeah, I'm up for some Gamepass exclusives.

Three

Hope so, and for two reasons.

First, it will lead the way for further games to be released as GP exclusives (Like TV streaming services such as Netflix have exclusive content) and will then hopefully lead to a majority of AAA third party games releasing their games on GP day one.
How do you figure that? What would happen is that every publisher would launch their own service and you would end up with having to pay several subscriptions to play the games you want that your console or PC could play but is not offered a la carte. Like Disney+, Netflix, Amazon prime video etc.

Right now we have gamepass, PSNow, EA Play, Stadia all competing for content.
The fact that Ubisoft started calling their games Ubisoft Originals like Netflix Originals and started making f2p type games suggests to me this is where they are headed soon.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If they want to emulate TV and film sub services, then yes.

Games will have to debut only on GP, with it being the only way to play on day 1.

Only way to watch the new episodes of Game of Thrones was to sub to HBO. It would then became available to buy later.
Disney will force people to sub to Disney+ to stream the new season 3 of Mando when it debuts, etc. Discs later on.
Or how films will debut only in theaters then go on streaming later.

I'd assume by 2023, Xbox will test out launching some games in a similar manner.

Last edited:

IDKFA

How do you figure that? What would happen is that every publisher would launch their own service and you would end up with having to pay several subscriptions to play the games you want that your console or PC could play but is not offered a la carte. Like Disney+, Netflix, Amazon prime video etc.

Right now we have gamepass, PSNow, EA Play, Stadia all competing for content.
The fact that Ubisoft started calling their games Ubisoft Originals like Netflix Originals and started making f2p type games suggests to me this is where they are headed soon.

Fine by me, especially if it means I never have to spend £70 on a game again. I'd just sign up to the service that had the games I wanted to play.

SNG32

If games pass starts making a lot of money then I can see them doing it. At first I don’t see them doing triple A exclusive big budget games. Something like Ori or luckys tale possibly.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Second, it would make more money for Microsoft. However, if I was in charge I'd go a step further. Rather than making the odd game a Gamepass exclusive, I'd make the whole Xbox market place Gamepass exclusive. Want to access your library or 'purchase' future games? Sure, but only with a GP sub.

That sounds like some kind of dystopian shit world I want no part of. How could you possibly think that’s a good idea? Hey, let’s hold your entire game library hostage!

Awful.

kungfuian

As Game Pass grows the profit from their exclusives from traditional software sales may at some point be offset, or even less, than the value increased subs. At that point I can imagine them trying something like FIRST ON GAME PASS with some of their exclusives.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They should if they are serious about growing Gamepass. So many people compare Gamepass with Netflix, but Netflix has truly exclusive content that isn't available outside of that platform. If someone needs to play a certain Xbox game, Gamepass should be the only way. Currently, Xbox is just half-assing it with Gamepass.

That'd be good from Microsoft's and GP's perspective. But that's also a shitty future of the gaming industry that I personally don't want.

IDKFA

That sounds like some kind of dystopian shit world I want no part of. How could you possibly think that’s a good idea? Hey, let’s hold your entire game library hostage!

Awful.

It's an amazing idea and one that would equal more subscribers, which in turn means more money. I didn't say it would be popular to begin with, but give it time and people see it as the new norm.

odhiex

I am kinda curious about this. What if the Gamepass service have 100 million+ subscribers? Would we get AAA scale of exclusives tide to the service?

At the current state, a handful of indie exclusives might be more sense.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see this happening because only top tier major AAA titles would make an impact and they would cost a fortune. At most, I can see Indie/AA titles being exclusive to Game Pass either completely or for a duration of time. But that's it.

Zeroing

Banned
I will think differently and say yes !

If we go into “what if” the possibilities are endless. why even restraint at exclusives? Free service for all! Even those who don’t want it are forced to use it!

oh and we get 10 dollars for every gamepass word written on the web!

:D

Last edited:

Three

Fine by me, especially if it means I never have to spend £70 on a game again. I'd just sign up to the service that had the games I wanted to play.
You would be spending £30 every month browsing games others choose for you but I guess that's your perogative.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If they want to emulate TV and film sub services, then yes.

Games will have to debut only on GP, with it being the only way to play on day 1.

Only way to watch the new episodes of Game of Thrones was to sub to HBO. It would then became available to buy later.
Disney will force people to sub to Disney+ to stream the new season 3 of Mando when it debuts, etc. Discs later on.
Or how films will debut only in theaters then go on streaming later.

I'd assume by 2023, Xbox will test out launching some games in a similar manner.
If games pass starts making a lot of money then I can see them doing it. At first I don’t see them doing triple A exclusive big budget games. Something like Ori or luckys tale possibly.
As Game Pass grows the profit from their exclusives from traditional software sales may at some point be offset, or even less, than the value increased subs. At that point I can imagine them trying something like FIRST ON GAME PASS with some of their exclusives.
They should if they are serious about growing Gamepass. So many people compare Gamepass with Netflix, but Netflix has truly exclusive content that isn't available outside of that platform. If someone needs to play a certain Xbox game, Gamepass should be the only way. Currently, Xbox is just half-assing it with Gamepass.

That'd be good from Microsoft's and GP's perspective. But that's also a shitty future of the gaming industry that I personally don't want.
People think they won't cancel Gold but hope they will start removing games from the Store and putting it exclusively on Game Pass instead, which the largest source of revenue for the Xbox Store. For reference you can still buy Microsoft Office even with 365, and Game Pass alone is never going to be as profitable as that.
The number of subscribers Game Pass needs for them to even consider removing games from the Store is probably way beyond Netflix.
Game Pass can never wrap the thousands of games in the store into a service. Most non first party games are in Game Pass in a contract for few months, they can't even put them permanently in that service. And I assume most people happily writing these speculations also think Game Pass will alone will never be profitable enough.

kungfuian

I would of never thought in a million years that Microsoft would have their first party games day one on Game Pass because they would loose way to much money on traditional software sales. And yet here we are in 2021 and that's exactly what they did. Point being I feel like the arguments against Game Pass Exclusivity (timed or full) are similar to the arguments against day one Game Pass exclusives from a few years back.

Microsoft seems to be really going all in on service/Game Pass and moving away from anything resembling a traditional sales model. For them it all depends on how serious they are in growing that service. What value they place on growing the service vs. traditional software sales.

Also; a few people are suggesting this for all games, or big third party games, which based on the scale of the service doesn't seem reasonable. But Microsoft's exclusive games are a totally different story.

If they ever do go this route I think we'd see small games tested first, very limited timed exclusivity for their big games, or some small (maybe cosmetic) Game Pass exclusive content.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People think they won't cancel Gold but hope they will start removing games from the Store and putting it exclusively on Game Pass instead, which the largest source of revenue for the Xbox Store. For reference you can still buy Microsoft Office even with 365, and Game Pass alone is never going to be as profitable as that.
The number of subscribers Game Pass needs for them to even consider removing games from the Store is probably way beyond Netflix.
Game Pass can never wrap the thousands of games in the store into a service. Most non first party games are in Game Pass in a contract for few months, they can't even put them permanently in that service. And I assume most people happily writing these speculations also think Game Pass will alone will never be profitable enough.
1. I wasn't talking about third-party games. Eventually, they will have to release some big first-party content that exclusively available to Gamepass subscribers. That'd serve as an incentive to subscribe to Gamepass.

2. Profit: Absolutely, that's why a subscription service like this is a double-edged sword. They will have to limit the number of users by locking new AAA games behind the GP paywall and limit their reach and profitability in hopes of a better future with millions more Gamepass subscribers. Gamepass is eating into the XBox division right now as well. It all depends on how long MS is williing to bear that burden in hopes for a better future.

As Microsoft continues to shift it's focus to a service based model, Game Pass with cloud integration, could we eventually see games from them that are exclusive to the service, as in not for sale outside of Game Pass? Or timed exclusive to the service?

Curious if this is something we might eventually see from them. Is it a viable strategy to grow subs? Or for example, once the cloud is better integrated, is it reasonable to assume some experiences will only be possible on that platform?
Maybe a game that is exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem but there is no way MS will only allow you to rent a game with no way to purchase. One of the most appealing parts of Game pass is buying games on the service with a discount. To suggest they would not only take that away but the ability to purchase the game as well? How is that better for the customer? Why would one choose that way to get games over what is available now? Had MS made any mention of moving in this direction?

Chukhopops

I don’t think it will ever happen because a) it would mostly alienate Xbox owners who don’t use GP, and it would be a middle finger to customers who actually bought your hardware, b) it wouldn’t make sense for PC market where they also want people to use/buy on the MS store and upgrade to Windows 10.

I could see maybe some other benefits like extra cosmetics, game preview (like they did for Grounded and Comanche) etc but not full exclusivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom