• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only for those who own BOTH an XSX and a PS5

I currently prefer my...

• Total voters

Matt_Fox

For those of us in the blessed position of owning both consoles and being neutral in this console war...

Back in October I did a pre-order thread (1) Only for those who have pre-ordered BOTH an XSX and a PS5... | NeoGAF which came in with some interesting results, now after four months of ownership let's see how people actually feel about their two shiny new consoles.

PS5 has the Dualsense controller, the Dark Souls remake, and generously made available 20 free older games to PS5 owners in the PS Plus Collection.

XSX has Quick Resume, impressive backwards compatibility, and in GamePass boasts an embarrassment of riches that makes one wonder if they'll ever have to buy another game again.

So please don't vote unless you own both consoles - which console do you prefer and what has swung the difference?

SkylineRKR

I have an S, but its the same as an X bar the image quality.

I prefer the PS5, but the Series boots faster, is (even) more silent, quick resume is faster and GP is a lot of games for a low price. However, Quick Resume is still kind of buggy. And the OS sometimes hangs. I also have bluetooth issues which MS is going to fix. The X has all the same issues. PS5 seems to be more stable overall, though it has controller wear issues for some.

Why I prefer PS5 is that I feel the controller is more innovative. It doesn't always play out well, I think its kinda shit in Control, but in DeS, Astrobot and Dirt 5 its haptics are pretty good. PS5 also has some next-gen exclusives unlike Series which has basically none. Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Destruction Allstars. They're true PS5 games. Its not much in the grand scheme, but its something and DeS and Astro are brilliant. On the horizon (lol), we have Soulstorm coming in for free, and Ratchet will come out in June. Inbetween that, RE8. I also own TH Deluxe, so I get the upgrade for free. The near future is looking fine actually.

Its a very cheap gen for me so far. I''ve played the Halo's, GoW5, Cyber shadow, FH4, Ori et al on S via GP. And on PS5 I did Days Gone, God of War, Control UE, Destruction allstars, FFVII R via its Plus plan. I bought Yakuza LaD on Xbox in early November, and I bought DeS and DMCV on PS5 late Nov. And on Xbox I bought Lost Odyssey (finished it last month), PD Orta and NGB for a bargain. Thats pretty much it. The next game I'll buy will be RE8.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

Bartski

Gold Member
PS5 is my go-to for the hardcore chronic eat-sleep-play gaming while XsX is more casual, backlog no commitment jump-in-and-out after work type of thing.
I love the GamePass and I've played many more games on the Xbox than Playstation, but the ones I put the time in and value more are on the PS5.
I platinumed Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom and played TONS of Ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro in 60 fps, great stuff.
The only big game I bought so far for the XsX was Cyberpunk. Aside from that Medium, Gears 5 DLC, and just checking out tons of different games, backlog stuff like Nier Automata (absolutely brilliant and best game I played this year on the system) and just about to give Prey a shot. I don't really plan to buy many games on the Xbox at all, GamePass is way more than I can ever find time for.

mitchman

Gold Member
Right now, I prefer the PS5. Mostly because the UI and controller is just nicer and gives a more professional, next gen and pleasant experience. When PS5 gets VRR, I'll probably prefer it for cross platform games. I've played maybe 300 hours on the XSX, so it's not completely left in the dust, but when I got the PS5 I kind of switched over.

mitchman

Gold Member
I should add that XSX still not using a rechargeable battery means I need to use my own rechargeable batteries and switch and charge quite often. Not a fan if MS' lack of consideration of the environment by still needing disposable batteries (anything else is extra).

mitchman

Gold Member
Voting X because of the massive library games available to play given there is NOTHING out at the moment to play. I'm playing new vegas, 360 back compat with no 4K patch or fps boost lol. And guess what? it's awesome!
PS Now does have more games than gamepass btw, I have both. All PS4+ games on PS Now can be downloaded and installed locally, rest streamed.

SkylineRKR

I should add that XSX still not using a rechargeable battery means I need to use my own rechargeable batteries and switch and charge quite often. Not a fan if MS' lack of consideration of the environment by still needing disposable batteries (anything else is extra).

Bite the bullet and buy a play n charge kit. It sucks that its extra cash on top of the system purchase, but its better than Sony's solution. It lasts longer, the cord is longer (also works on PS5 btw) and your controller won't die. Since you can take the battery out. Lots of PS3 controllers are dead by now, perhaps even PS4.

mitchman

Gold Member
Bite the bullet and buy a play n charge kit. It sucks that its extra cash on top of the system purchase, but its better than Sony's solution. It lasts longer, the cord is longer (also works on PS5 btw) and your controller won't die. Since you can take the battery out. Lots of PS3 controllers are dead by now, perhaps even PS4.
PS4 used lithium ion batteries that doesn't die so quickly or at all, so not really a problem. I use Panasonic rechargeable batteries on all my electronics now so I don't need to buy any extra packs and I haven't thrown away a battery since I got that setup. Still, rechargeable batteries should be standard, most won't buy that battery pack.

Certinty

I think the Series X.

I love the new features the Dualsense has but I still prefer the feel of the Xbox controller. Plus with Game Pass there's far more I have to play on the Series X.

And on a side note I love how quiet the console is, quieter on Series X games than my PS5 is on PS4 games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
PS5.

It just has the games I wanna play, its that simple. I dont think I ever used Quick Resume, still havent played The Medium yet... The current heavyweight exclusives just dont appeal to me. WIll see how things go once their Zenimax deal starts pumping out exclusives. Right now I'm waiting on HellBlade 2, Scorn, Fable, etc.

XSX will be for exclusives, PS5 for everything.

My Series X gets nearly all of my use. The PS5 will gets its love, no doubt, when the exclusives come. For now, though, with BC (that is always getting better), quick resume, MS Rewards and Game Pass, not to mention the vastly superior UI (IMO) the Series X feels like "my" gaming box. It's just the goto box for me and it isn't even close.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Banned
I use my Series X far more than my PS5. I guess it helps that I have the expandable storage for the series x so I have MW and Cold Wae installed on there along with MK11 which would eat all of the PS5'S SSD up. Hopefully we will get storage slot activated soon.

I mainly use my PS5 for exclusives and will continue to do so.

betrayal

Banned
The poll is actually quite pointless. Not because it says anything about the consoles, but because of the GP and the fact that people who have both consoles have already played all the PS5 exclusives last year and there is nothing new so far.

My PS5 is gathering dust as well, but every now and then I play a few PS4 games.
An XBOX makes absolutely no sense to me this generation anymore, since there are no exclusive titles and the GP is also available on the PC. So the GP killed my Xbox Series X purchase.

Desudzer10

After i played Demons souls I've found it hard to play my PS5 over my XSX when it plays all my backlog better. I'm finishing up several games from the past couple years and load times and slight visual upgrades to some is nice. Plus since MLB is coming to XBox i have another reason not to play my PS5. I know later this year there will be a game or 2 i want to play on the PS5, but any multiplat or backward compatible games are on the XSX this gen.

It's been this way for awhile. Did you play on PS4 mostly previously?

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
As an aside, just noticed a Tom Clancy sale on xbox, 60% off. Needless to say, I've just updated my old school library. If Sony stepped up its game, I'd be down 100%.

Never played the OG xbox version of double agent, I hear it's the better version so I'm pretty excited!
PhsOJVn.jpg

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
It's been this way for awhile. Did you play on PS4 mostly previously?
Yes, but I did say "still not", so it's not like it's news to me. Next gen should bring progress, particularly in areas like this. At least MS is not trying to say they are environmentally friendly, afaik.

Mmnow

I'm glad I don't have to pick one, because it would be a close call looking over 7 years. But right now, if I absolutely had to, it'd be the Series X.

Gamepass makes most the difference, but the improved BC and quick resume cinches it. I also don't love the Dualsense, although that'd never make or break a console purchase.

The Series X is the better all-round console today, although that could easily change over the course of the generation.

PS4 used lithium ion batteries that doesn't die so quickly or at all, so not really a problem. I use Panasonic rechargeable batteries on all my electronics now so I don't need to buy any extra packs and I haven't thrown away a battery since I got that setup. Still, rechargeable batteries should be standard, most won't buy that battery pack.
Sorry, my mistake. I replied before seeing your later post. Took you for a regular person for a min there.

You can argue all sorts of ridiculous points using valid arguments if you're adept enough. What you can't do however, is attempt to argue that the PS4 controller is anything beyond piss poor when it comes to battery life.

No matter how much any of us prefer one console over another... Even the most diehard fanboys usually agree on a few points regarding Xbox and Playstation in general. You're not going to hear Xbox fans claiming their console has a superior selection of Jrpg's vs Playstation, nor will you see them boasting about how much better their 1st party games look superior to Sony's. Likewise, you'd be hard pressed to find Sony fanboys bragging about how much better their online fps offerings are compared to Xbox, and you won't find any that will boast about how much better the DS4's battery life is compared to Xbox.

For the most part, these things are agreed by all combatants in any console warring beforehand. While the warring may be vicious, these truths are self evident, and are to be honored by all gamers alike... both foreign and domestic.

And here you are claiming that the DS4 used lithium ion batteries "that don't die so quickly or at all." 🤣

Cornbread78

I've been impressed with my SeX and really appreciate it, but I'm do vested into PS ecosystem (friends/games) it's hard to make the 3rd party switch over to XBox unless there is a huge performance gap.

mitchman

Gold Member
Sorry, my mistake. I replied before seeing your later post. Took you for a regular person for a min there.

You can argue all sorts of ridiculous points using valid arguments if you're adept enough. What you can't do however, is attempt to argue that the PS4 controller is anything beyond piss poor when it comes to battery life.

No matter how much any of us prefer one console over another... Even the most diehard fanboys usually agree on a few points regarding Xbox and Playstation in general. You're not going to hear Xbox fans claiming their console has a superior selection of Jrpg's vs Playstation, nor will you see them boasting about how much better their 1st party games look superior to Sony's. Likewise, you'd be hard pressed to find Sony fanboys bragging about how much better their online fps offerings are compared to Xbox, and you won't find any that will boast about how much better the DS4's battery life is compared to Xbox.

For the most part, these things are agreed by all combatants in any console warring beforehand. While the warring may be vicious, these truths are self evident, and are to be honored by all gamers alike... both foreign and domestic.

And here you are claiming that the DS4 used lithium ion batteries "that don't die so quickly or at all." 🤣
Lithium Ion batteries last 300-500 charge cycles, and provided you're not playing 10+ hours every day, it should last quite a considerable time. I still have my original PS4 Pro controller and it's still alive and holds a charge for hours. It's not super great, obviously, they never were.

Mmnow

It's 2021, paying extra for something that should be standard and is standard on pretty much all other electronics that doesn't have days of battery life, is the norm now.
I get like 30-40 hours from my eneloops, which is at least twice what I get from my Dualsense.

That £20 I paid for eight was well worth it. It's quicker, because I always have four ready charged to go, and I never have to rely on a wire.

I can't believe people are still trying to debate this "Xbox should be chargeable" nonsense. Each to their own, but you can't argue with the results.

Data Ghost

98% of my time at the moment is on my Xbox SX. Overall I prefer it much more that the PS5 (bar the DualShock controller which I think is excellent even if the tippy tippy footsteps in Control ARE annoying!). I prefer the design and build of the console itself. The controller feels more comfortable. I prefer the SSD storage expansion solution (price aside). I love having Dolby Atmos (the PS5 through the home theatre system is a step down). It has VRR implemented, and it's backwards compatibility is far better (hence me playing games like Warzone exclusively on the Series X where it looks and sounds better AND runs in 120fps if you so wish). Finally it has GamePass which allows me to try games I would never have tried otherwise. Because of that I have enjoyed gems such as The Medium, Tetris Effect Connected and many more. Then later this year we have Halo Infinite (which is looking much better now) which will be installed for 'free' day one and ready to go.

Meanwhile, since completing AstroBot and MM I literally cant find a reason to turn the PS5 on. Control is good and looks great but I have already completed it last gen. I have even surfed the store out of boredom looking to purchase an overpriced digital game, but NOTHING takes my fancy. Oh and I am not a big fan of the hardware either, looks cheap and my Blu-Ray drive sounds like its going to vibrate itself apart sometimes when it decides to spin a disk into hyperdrive for reasons unknown.

I have always been a multiplatform gamer and I have owned virtually every console since the Sega Megadrive onwards so I don't feel the need to defend one system, I can give my honest thoughts about them all. Multiplatform the only way to go for me.

Last edited:

noise36

Not playing either a lot lately but generally if my kid asks me to play something it will be the on switch (Mario kart local MP) or the SX because of gamepass.

PS5 will likely be just like Ps4 pro was last gen, gathers dust until a good exclusive lands. Next one that has my interest is probably ratchet and clank.

Mully87

Neo Member
It's 2021, paying extra for something that should be standard and is standard on pretty much all other electronics that doesn't have days of battery life, is the norm now.
Your right, i paid extra once.....in 2013 and have used the same play and charge kit since. For that one off payment i gained all the benefits you get from a built in battery and also haven't had to worry about the life of it slowly draining away or dying on me resulting in having to buy a completely now controller. I think that one off £15 i spent has been worth a whole lot more than having a battery built in.

For me I’m preferring Series X mainly because I basically ignored my Xbone all last gen. On PS5 the only thing I was interested in was Miles Morales, I played Demon’s Souls to death on PS3, and most other exclusives from last gen I already played on release. Getting gamepass gave me access to virtually all the things I missed on Xbox last gen like the newer Gears games and access to games I gave a pass on last gen that I wouldn’t have normally touched with a ten foot pole like Jurassic Park Evolution (I actually really enjoyed it).

My console usage might change around as exclusives start dropping for PS5, but I don’t think my SX is going to collect anywhere near as much dust as my Xbone did last gen.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Your right, i paid extra once.....in 2013 and have used the same play and charge kit since. For that one off payment i gained all the benefits you get from a built in battery and also haven't had to worry about the life of it slowly draining away or dying on me resulting in having to buy a completely now controller. I think that one off £15 i spent has been worth a whole lot more than having a battery built in.
Yup we still have launch Xbox One controllers in use on the SX due to that.

Top Bottom