• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only for GamePass this statement make sense...

Arachnid

But that 2 dollars doesn't cover the price of Xbox Live Gold so it isn't really just $2, right?

Yeah, but most "brand new $70" games are not on Game Pass. You tell your friend that and they go on Game Pass expecting to see Midnight Suns and they are going to be disappointed.

I'm not trying to downplay Game Pass here. Folks saying they are getting Vampire Survivors for "free" implies "included with the service" and that is fine. But going too far and embellishing what the service actually is doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.
I've thought about that too, but for the majority of gamepass's life span, it was a seperate subscription from live to buy. I more look at it as me buying some cheap live online through CD keys like I have since 360, and then getting gamepass for 6 years on top of that for 2 dollars. Basically getting free games including EA pass which is bundled into ultimate.

These days, Microsoft does sell Ultimate at a higher price than live to bundle it. Getting game pass seperate is still 10 dollars a month.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I've thought about that too, but for the majority of gamepass's life span, it was a seperate subscription from live to buy. I more look at it as me buying some cheap live online through CD keys like I have since 360, and then getting gamepass for 6 years on top of that for 2 dollars. Basically getting free games including EA pass which is bundled into ultimate.

These days, Microsoft does sell Ultimate at a higher price than live to bundle it. Getting game pass seperate is still 10 dollars a month.

Well, I guess already having paid for Gold is implied in the "conversion" so yeah, I get your point.

I get why it's not "free" but when many people (at least on this forum) have stacked up I presume they mean 'at no additional cost'

Also the service is quite similar to Netflix... So When a movie gets added you don't get people asking "oh how much is that movie" because the answer would be "free........ As part of your subscription"

While I do acknowledge that I pay for it monthly, it is effectively free at such an insane price for my favorite hobby by far since I've been alive on this planet. So, yes, I view everything that drops on game pass as "free."

Or as others have said, new games just keep being added at no additional cost, which effectively works out to you essentially getting games for free. The only way game pass even remotely works is from the sheer number of subscribers who see what an amazingly good deal it is, and that's how it pays for itself monthly and yearly. Game Pass grows at a rate more appropriate for how people buy specific AAA games yearly.

2020 and 2021 both saw growth of 8 million and 7 million respectively. That growth in subscribers is what you would expect from really solid AAA release, except they're paying monthly and combined with up millions more subscribers also paying monthly. It's a killer service.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just got a Series X today and was planning on getting non-ultimate gamepass. I browsed the game list and there were literally five games at the most which interested me 🤷🏻‍♂️ I thought most games were on there.

The biggest difference between Game Pass and GPU is the inclusion of EA Play and PC content.

Otherwise any non EA Play console game will go on both.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've not kept up with this thread, have we come up with a set of bullet proof rules so that someone who doesn't have Gamepass won't get triggered the next time it's mentioned?

It’s not accurate but you can understand how people mistakenly use it. I don’t notice the money for Game Pass leave my bank account and when new games become available it FEELS free even though I know I’m paying for it.

It should be “(insert game) is available on Game Pass”

Griffon

Well, the times when most of the games had a demo, are pretty much over. And refunds … I always have the fear of landing on some kind of blacklist when I refund too much ;)
Trust me you wont.

I've refunded steam games so many more times than anybody would think possible. Still got my account and paypal in good standings.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I just got a Series X today and was planning on getting non-ultimate gamepass. I browsed the game list and there were literally five games at the most which interested me 🤷🏻‍♂️ I thought most games were on there.
All first party games and a good chunk of indies and bigger titles.

Did you expect to get access to literally every game on the store?

Talk about unrealistic expectations.
Well, the times when most of the games had a demo, are pretty much over. And refunds … I always have the fear of landing on some kind of blacklist when I refund too much ;)
It's their policy, they can't blacklist you from anything.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It feels like free.

Just like with a mobile phone plan I will say I have unlimited free minutes, or unlimited free texts.

I have pain my investment into gamepass I am covered until 2025, that money has gone. It now feels like any new game that gets announced is free as there is nothing for me to pay or worry about.

It's amazing. Same for ps plus extra I just signed up until the end of 2025. Nothing ro think about now, that moneys gone.

Just like paying for the actual console. If a game came to it for free I would think it was free but in theory I purchased the machine with an expectation I'll buy a new one or an upgrade in 3 to 5 years.

BlackTron

It's not that it's literally free, it's that the marginal expense beyond subscribing to GP is zero.

People don't really have a sense for "getting movies for free" on a streaming service because it's perceived as something you stream/watch, not "get". With Gamepass you download and install games the same way you would off a disc or paid download, so it's "getting" the game. If the only way to watch a movie off the Internet was to download it first (even off Disney+), and the only alternative was to buy a DVD/BD in the store, we'd probably refer to that as "getting the movie for free on Disney+ instead of buying it" too.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I think perhaps it's not for you.

here's a slightly out of date list of games beginning with "A" that were on Gamepass until recently (two games have left in the last month or so). If there's not a few games there that appeal then I'm not sure what you're looking for.

• A Memoir Blue (added March 24th, 2022)
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem (added October 18th, 2022)
  • A Way Out (EA Play)
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare (leaving 31st October, 2022)
  • Alice: Madness Returns (EA Play)
  • Alien Isolation
  • Aliens: Fireteam Elite (December 14th, 2021)
  • Amnesia: Collection (added October 20th, 2022)
  • Amnesia: Rebirth (added October 20th, 2022)
  • Among Us (added December 14th, 2021, 2021)
  • Anthem (EA Play)
  • Anvil: Vault Breaker (added December 2nd, 2021)
  • Aragami 2 (arriving September 17th, 2021)
  • Archvale (leaving November 30th, 2022)
  • Ark: Survival Evolved: Explorer's Edition (added November 17th, 2020)
  • Army of Two (EA play)
  • Ark: Ultimate Survivor Edition (added February 14th, 2022)
  • Art of Rally (added August 12th, 2021)
  • As Dusk Falls (added July 19th, 2022)
  • Assassin's Creed Origins (added June 7th, 2022)
  • Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (added September 15th, 2022)
  • Astroneer

Last edited:

sainraja

It is most definitely worth paying for where did I say it wasn't. But why should I NOT use the not use the rewards I get it for Free. Doing what I normally would do every day is not grinding, in fact a lot of the quests are fun to me.
Instead of accusing me of defending something blindly, do some introspection and ask yourself why you always pretend to be neutral, yet you have to rush in to defend Sony blindly

I will focus on whatever I want who are you to tell what to do and how to react. Maybe in the future mind your own business and don't focus on my posts..

If you're going to in to defend Sony's crappy reward program and tell me not to laugh at it, maybe YOU should be better informed or at least know what you have to do to get them and how grindy it is or isn't.
Relax. I didn't mean to trigger your "hulk" mode but my point simply was, a subscription services' worth is based on what people are willing to pay for it and how they are willing to pay for it.

All the sub services on the gaming side are trying to find their footing (I know they have now been around a good few years but IMO they are all in growth mode).

For you, paying it with MS rewards seems worth it. :D Unlike you though, I have actually paid for what I have so far and so I will re-access what I do in the future based on how much use I actually got out of any of the services (how much I used/what feature I used, etc).

If you found 5 games to play on the service, that alone should make it worth something, no? Unless those are games you plan on buying.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
GamePass is kinda like taxes should work
- a lot of people pay a running fee
- not everyone uses everything at the same time, all the time, so there's room for profit and improvement
- some products of the service have more investment than others, still, basically every audience is captured

Sony's Playstation launched their loyalty program that lets you earn points doing gaming activities. Not the same thing as MS Rewards, but it doesn't require you to use a Sony credit card.

I thought that the points could only be exchanged for lame images that they call "rare digital whatever"? This is the most useless reward program I have ever seen.

Topher

Gold Member
I thought that the points could only be exchanged for lame images that they call "rare digital whatever"? This is the most useless reward program I have ever seen.

You can use them to put some funds in your wallet. Yeah, I'm not really enthused about it though.

"Points can be redeemed in your Rewards Catalog for available items in your reward catalogue that may include items such as digital collectibles, select game titles, or PSN wallet funds."

No offence intended to the OP, but who cares?

I’m playing High on Life. It’s great. I already had Gamepass. I didn’t get Gamepass for High on Life. I wouldn’t have bought (or played) it if it wasn’t on Gamepass.

To me, it’s not unreasonable to say I got it free on Gamepass. Is it really better to divide the cost of Gamepass by the number of games on the service and say I got it for .7cents or whatever it would work out at?

There’s no need to try and convince people they’re wrong, just let them be happy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom