• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 21% of Players Have Defeated Returnal’s Final Boss So Far

Matsuchezz

I have not had time to keep playing, but I few weeks ago i defeated the second boss and it was freaking amazing I was able to visit teh Citadel or whatever the next biome is called. That particular one is very pretty i love the art and level design. I definitely will beat that game one of these days.

SLB1904

Banned
No meaningful progression. Absolutely zero exciting build variety. Stupid, overly punishing malignancy mechanic.
thats just your opinion. malignancy mechanic is only punishing if you don't know what you doing.
and what you mean with no meaningful progression? if there was no progression no one would finish this game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How much % have defeated the final boss in any game? That’s why I still give credit to anyone who defeats a games final boss on any difficulty.

Tschumi

to be honest, 21% is really high... one in 5 players completing the game? Not many difficult games can boast that... maybe it's a reflection of how few games there are for players to divide their attention between.

GymWolf

The bosses are honest to cthulhu the easiest thing in the game, they hit far less harder than normal enemies and onestly avoiding their laser balls and rays is easier than avoiding the common enemies attack like the missioe drones or the teleporting bitches.

ElCasual

The bosses are honest to cthulhu the easiest thing in the game, they hit far less harder than normal enemies and onestly avoiding their laser balls and rays is easier than avoiding the common enemies attack like the missioe drones or the teleporting bitches.
Agree that drones when going kamikaze mode are a pain in the....

Ogbert

thats just your opinion. malignancy mechanic is only punishing if you don't know what you doing.
and what you mean with no meaningful progression? if there was no progression no one would finish this game.
I’m not saying it’s a bad game. I’m saying it’s a bad rogue like.

Id have no problems with it being even harder, if you were continually upgrading and improving your character. There’s next to nothing in the way of exciting abilities. You just get resin and drip fed utterly underwhelming perks

Malgninacy is a rubbish mechanic. The upsides are minimal so it’s better simply ignored.

To be honest, it’s not really a rogue like. More an arcade game with very, very minor rogue additions.

Great boss fights though.

mckmas8808

Banned
20% is not bad. Not great either for your AAA first party either. Sony's first party games usually have a 40-50% completion rate.

The lack of real progression in this game needed to be fixed at launch. The developer is being stubborn about it for no reason. The game is already very hard. No need to make it harder by not allowing users to save.

I swear if Housemarque makes the bolded change, I'll be buying the game that month. Until then, I REFUSE to buy or play this game!

Allandor

Aren't completion rates on most games pretty low?

That's actually pretty impressive considering how hard the game is.

I'm stuck on biome 6 myself. Amazing game that doesn't hold your hand at all.
exactly.
Just played a bit FF7remake the last few days. Without spoiling, just reached chapter 11 or 12 and for the normal story trophies, the statistics get worse and worse. Last trophy I saw (at about half the game or so) is 28%. That is quite normal. Most people just play games a few hours and than no more.

E.g. I finished Witcher 3 after ~5 years and still not through the last DLC so far. I'm not always playing a game to it's end in the first few weeks. Sometimes I just need a pause from a game and need something else. ... btw, still need to end Cyberpunk ... last stopped a around 2-3 hours before the end (I assume, as the main-story path is "only" 20h, but already played the game more than 50h and the story really nears its end).

tenebre

Honestly i don't get the people saying its too hard. I'm a casual gamer, i consider the souls game very hard (for me).I finished Returnal in 37 hours and honestly after 6-8 hours i got the hang of it and from that point on it was way easier.

Tip: if you get your hands on a Hollowseeker, keep it. Until you find a better one.

Last edited:

decisions

Isn’t 21% high?

Also just entered the 2% of people who have platinum. 10/10 game and I’d be shocked if it wasn’t my GOTY.

GymWolf

I think he talks about meaningfull progression between runs, i loved the game but it was a weak roguelite compared to stuff like hades or dead cell.

And the malignancy stuff was just annoying most of the time, the smart thing was avoiding the majority of it.

GymWolf

Last edited:

nowhat

The fact is, you don't really need any malignancy stuff to get pretty op, so you are almost never in a situation where the risk is worth.
Oh, agreed. Just that I'm not personally trying to do a speed run or anything - there's a certain amount of pleasure to be had to be seriously handicapped and still surviving the encounter (and perhaps getting rid of the handicap in the process). A "journey vs. destination" thing I guess. But if progress is all you're after, you'll mostly want to avoid them.

arvfab

Banned
Tip: if you get your hands on a Hollowseeker, keep it. Until you find a better one.

There is also a mod for the rocket launcher, which turns it into a machine gun firing rockets 😂

I found it once arrived in Act 2 for the first time, and beat the rest of the game with it in one sitting, no deaths.

SLB1904

Banned
I think he talks about meaningfull progression between runs, i loved the game but it was a weak roguelite compared to stuff like hades or dead cell.
i almost finish hades i quit because of how repetitive it gets and if you have no interest in the cast it sticks like a sore thumb. at end of the day, both games work the same. you find a weapon that you like and stick with it. the difference is in returnal the weapons upgrade just by using them. in hades, you have to use consumables that are already a pain in the ass to get, not hard but annoying to get. and dead cells the all pixelated thing put me off.

And the malignancy stuff was just annoying most of the time, the smart thing was avoiding the majority of it.
nah if you actually read the cons it helps. for example, fall damage and the pro is like heal over time. yeah, ill get that. or if u find a malfunction fixer item you know you can get at least 2 malfuntion and work with that.

GymWolf

i almost finish hades i quit because of how repetitive it gets and if you have no interest in the cast it sticks like a sore thumb. at end of the day, both games work the same. you find a weapon that you like and stick with it. the difference is in returnal the weapons upgrade just by using them. in hades, you have to use consumables that are already a pain in the ass to get, not hard but annoying to get. and dead cells the all pixelated thing put me off.

nah if you actually read the cons it helps. for example, fall damage and the pro is like heal over time. yeah, ill get that. or if u find a malfunction fixer item you know you can get at least 2 malfuntion and work with that.
For me hades had a much better progression between runs, almost everything was meaningfull and it was A LOT of stuff, even in terms of narrative, no offense but space ellen has absoluteyl nothing on the cast and voice acting of hades.

In returnal the majority of consumables are not that useful or very situational and unlocking them was not exactly exciting.
The perks on the weapons were by far the best thing, but a lot of them were useless and they were was to much casuality in play, on hades you can kinda tailor your run (if you upgrade enough stuff), but not enough to ruin the concept of roguelite.

I readed the cons and most fo the time it was not worth it because like i already said, you can get pretty OP even without the malignancy stuff so it's a very rare case when you have to actually think about taking the risk.

I had some good parasytes with not terrible side effects or stuff like "more chance to get high malevolency in corrupted objects (and if you don't pick any malignant object it's basically a non-problem to have) or i just got them to get money from the apposite machine you find in the levels, but it was a very marginal and not very excting part of the game for me.

Last edited:

skit_data

It’s 22%, 29.5% and 17.8% for the respective 3 endings in Dark Souls 3 for example.

It’s not a particulary low completion percentage for this kind of game.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
What is this fuss.. Housemarque already went easy on returnal!

Resogun was 8.2%, Nex Machina was only 4.9%. Experienced is the normal difficulty for the games.

rw0gRKw.png

BE8JQVf.png

Heck, even TLOU remastered only has a 29.4% complete rate on normal difficulty.
Ir6QnfF.png

Last edited:

Rockman33

Love the gameplay! However, The RNG of finding ciphers is terrible, I must have gone through biome 2 at least 50 times and can’t find the last cipher!

Top Bottom