• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 21% of Players Have Defeated Returnal’s Final Boss So Far

Kydd BlaZe

I hung it up after I couldn’t get past the first boss. Having to reset and rebuild my arsenal and pick ups and trek through the terrain all over again just to get back to the boss and have him kick my ass all over again was just too frustrating for me. I could tell I was about to be in a world of pain for the remainder of the game, so I packed it up lol.
Just not for me.

I enjoyed everything leading up to it though. Love the atmosphere, soundtrack, and metroidvania level design. Good stuff, just too damn punishing for me.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

21%? Ain't even mad, that's amazing actually. Feel bad for the nerds that don't understand that.

EDIT: A mod should fix the title, the "only" is a bit misleading.

Last edited:

Bkdk

There should be a stat of how many people can stand looking at selene's face for more than 10 seconds in total after 2 hours of playtime, it must be lower than 1%.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
thats really impressive for a roguelike game.

Actually if you look at completion rate of other games, its quite low as well.

Dr Bass

That number seems high considering what it takes to beat. But the game is amazing, so maybe it's not surprising at all.

MrA

Banned
That number seems high considering what it takes to beat. But the game is amazing, so maybe it's not surprising at all.
frankly, it seems pretty good by any standard, most achievement records show the vast majority of people don't finish games

Arsic

I only completed it because I was rage playing. After boss 4 I was over the game.

And getting the true ending was not worth it. The payout for story was lackluster. It's a great game that by the end is just a good game.

How is that 21% compared to say Sekiro ?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What's thos got to do with the price? This is about those who have the game 21% have finished the final boss. Which is actually pretty high.
Like I said, it's just sarcasm, I know few people finished the game, but let's be honest, it doesn't have an "Impossible" difficulty, that's what NES games are for.

The game is perfectly possible to finish it, what happens is that many do not do it because of the investment of time that they require to exploit the game.

20% is not bad. Not great either for your AAA first party either. Sony's first party games usually have a 40-50% completion rate.

The lack of real progression in this game needed to be fixed at launch. The developer is being stubborn about it for no reason. The game is already very hard. No need to make it harder by not allowing users to save.

I hope their future game uses more of a "bonfire" type system similar to Souls games. You can make the game challenging/rewarding without being overly punishing. The game is too dependent on RNG luck

I loved it despite this one flaw though, so hopefully they learn from their mistake. Not a huge fan of Rougue-like, would much prefer Souls-like.

I honestly think their next game should be a hybrid of first person Metroid + Bloodborne with their arcadey core. Sounds like an amazing recipe for a phenomenal game IMHO

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I think the only boss I died to was the 1st. Getting to them on the other hand...
I know that some people are way better than me in these types of games. I always struggled in later levels in Housemarque games (and I've spent a lot of time with Resogun or Nex Machina), but it didn't stop me from enjoying them. I will admit though that some parts of Returnal were more love-hate kind of relationship for me than their previous work.

I just haven't had the time to play too much of this yet. But definitely will go back to it.

Only recently got a PS5. And I boight Returnal on the PS+ sale last month for $49.69

Freeman76

Proud to be one of that 21%. Im not particularly good at games and struggled like fuck but enjoyed every second and beat the last biome after about 20 attempts due to a broken weapon drop that just decimated everything including the boss!

Last edited:

nekrik

Lol. I found the game to be pretty easy. Already beaten him two times, with 9 deaths total.
The secret is to build your char the right way with weapons upgrades + artifacts + parasites and to play all the biomes (1 to 3) , (4 to 6) without fast traveling

lol Let's not take this as "Only special players can beat it". Most players probably got bored. You could look at trophies for any game and see similar patterns.

Last edited:

mxbison

21% sounds good for a rogue-like.

Most story games that are pretty much impossible to fail at, have like 40-50% right?

Last edited:

Vindicator

Was struggling a bit after defeating Hyperion but thanks to a Hollowseeker with Portal Beam + Portal Turret i could manage Biomes 5+6, except Phrike every Boss went down 1st try - great game.

60% beat the first boss. For comparison just under 50% defeat the cleric beast in Bloodborne.
Around 30% get beyond act 1.
Another interesting one is 63% defeat Phalanx in OG demon souls (level 1 boss).
Persevere please gamers.

cormack12

Gold Member
Most people can't get past the prologue

maxresdefault.jpg

tenor.gif

Calm down it's a joke. I make loads of PS5 OTs and actualyl own returnal and godfall

GHG

Gold Member
Like what?

Like all of it.

The fact that there's little to no meta-progression makes the game feel like a slog at times when it doesn't need to be.

I'd much rather there be some meaningful kind of meta-progression than have the ability to skip areas/bosses once you've cleared them.

SLB1904

Banned
Like all of it.

The fact that there's little to no meta-progression makes the game feel like a slog at times when it doesn't need to be.

I'd much rather there be some meaningful kind of meta-progression than have the ability to skip areas/bosses once you've cleared them.
Like what?

wOs

Like all of it.

Edit: sorry misread this

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hope their future game uses more of a "bonfire" type system similar to Souls games. You can make the game challenging/rewarding without being overly punishing. The game is too dependent on RNG luck

I loved it despite this one flaw though, so hopefully they learn from their mistake. Not a huge fan of Rougue-like, would much prefer Souls-like.

I honestly think their next game should be a hybrid of first person Metroid + Bloodborne with their arcadey core. Sounds like an amazing recipe for a phenomenal game IMHO
100% Agreed. There is lots to like about the game, but it's almost as if the game doesnt recognize its own potential. I dont mind the rouge-like aspect of the game, but they go out of their way to nerf every single thing in the game. Spent hours grinding out weapon traits? Doesnt matter. You will start with just one trait unless you level up your weapon proficiency per playthrough. Why? I have already unlocked it. I have already beaten the levels. Let me just run through them with the best weapon upgrades so I can quickly rush through Biomes 1 and 2 or 4 and 5 to get to the final boss without having to start from scratch.

They do this time and time again with the malfeicent mechanic effectively discouraging exploration. I played FTL for around 300 hours. You can also get bad RNG in that game. You might lose a crew member while exploring or take damage to your health or run into a fight with a much more powerful enemy, but they were so rare that it almost never stopped me from rolling the dice. In Returnal, over half of the chests are malfecient which pretty much kills any incentive of rerunning levels to get better loot and have those OP runs.

Last edited:
these games need options for gamers that aren't 12 and able to pump 100s of hours into them. returnal, dark souls, nioh, etc. i'd like to enjoy them. but after like the 50th time i die after pumping a sunday afternoon into them, i'm done. sorry. guess i'm not badass enough. i know, maybe i should just get better. fuck off. just give the option for easy mode/save points, whatever. i know the response is: that's not what these games are about. great. i get that. but the world of returnal, the graphics, the gameplay. it's fun and great. but to spend 2 hours+ just to get back to where you were so you can advance? no thanks. now if i were 13? i'd be all in. but last i checked, average age of a gamer is mid 30s.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Only? 21% is about 20% more than I expected based on the difficulty people keep talking about.

Salz01

I can’t get past biome 5. I want to, but every time I die I feel so put out and play something else.

nowhat

Right fair enough, just ease up on the aggression, you'll live longer 😀
I didn't think I was being aggressive... did I just do a microagression? I honestly can't keep up.

But granted, I'm not a native English speaker, and in my native language, people swear and it's no biggie. During prime time TV and all that, no one cares. So my point was that it can be not just pretty difficult, but very difficult. I still prefer "pretty fucking difficult" though.

sophnar0747

Returnal was fun as a one playthrough kind of game, but as a full priced title with rogue-ish elements, it really failed where replayability is concerned. It was sorta disappointing, and as I said in my review, it'd have worked better as a 40 dollar kind of thing.

Lol. I found the game to be pretty easy. Already beaten him two times, with 9 deaths total.
The secret is to build your char the right way with weapons upgrades + artifacts + parasites and to play all the biomes (1 to 3) , (4 to 6) without fast traveling
there's always one of you in these threads. same dude that talks about his 3090ti set up. just shut up dude. the game isn't easy by anyone's standards. if you beat it, great. but to say it's easy is just punchable.

I didn't think I was being aggressive... did I just do a microagression? I honestly can't keep up.

But granted, I'm not a native English speaker, and in my native language, people swear and it's no biggie. During prime time TV and all that, no one cares. So my point was that it can be not just pretty difficult, but very difficult. I still prefer "pretty fucking difficult" though.
No worries my friend, I just thought initially it was quite low, but after you pointed out how difficult the game is it makes sense.

Top Bottom