• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 14.5% of men are 6'0, yet make up for 58% of CEOs

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So what is statistically worse (in terms of representation), to be a small man or to be a woman? Maybe we need a mini man quota. Though as a mini man, I'd still not want to persue such a carreer.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
So what is statistically worse (in terms of representation), to be a small man or to be a woman? Maybe we need a mini man quota. Though as a mini man, I'd still not want to persue such a carreer.
In terms of utility it goes like this:
Height privliege > Pussy pass > White privilege

Height privilege is only for dudes, though, obviously. Very tall women are mainly just gawked at like a sideshow act.

dorkimoe

There is no way. I’m 6 3 and I don’t feel taller than even half the people I come in contact with. I find that % so wrong. Or I must live in tallville

Zato

Banned
Some people are going to have to face the fact they are genetically inferior.

Short, bald and ugly will always be traits that are undesirable ...... it sucks but such is biology.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I saw a study last week about more attractive Psychology faculty being way over represented in top positions. Some would point to self fulfilling effects in pipeline or whatever but I'm going to guess that's a veneer for academics that don't want to believe a significant difference maker is how socially and sexually desirable someone is.

Bogey

Banned
You'll be surprised to hear the vast majority of presidents of the United States is also far above average-looking*

None of that is really much of a surprise. Social status, looks, all that stuff very much matters for those high-prestige positions. Obviously it shouldn't, but did anybody believe it actually doesn't?

(*) excluding Trump

TheMan

I feel like a CEO's job isn't just to lead but to project a certain image or aura. For better or worse I can see how physical presence plays into that. As a short guy myself it stings but thems the breaks I guess.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious if this is a white/black CEO bias against asians/hispanics more than height specifically.

Are chinese billionaires also much taller than their national mean? Is this a reflection of better childhood nutrition or a true cultural preference for taller people?

Larlight

My company had our 6'2 CEO replaced by a 6'7 CEO. That was until the latter was caught embezzling funds. So then he was replaced by a I swear a 5'7 dude. I was shocked lol. But, the company started doing better especially during the pandemic so there's that.

Aesius

There is no way. I’m 6 3 and I don’t feel taller than even half the people I come in contact with. I find that % so wrong. Or I must live in tallville
I'm 6' and I feel short compared to most men, but that's because viewing people from a slight distance makes them seem taller because you see their entire bodies whereas your perspective is from your eyes, which are the center of your face. I'll be at the grocery store or whatever and see a guy who looks a good bit taller than me, then if I walk really close by him I'll realize I'm actually taller.

dorkimoe

I'm 6' and I feel short compared to most men, but that's because viewing people from a slight distance makes them seem taller because you see their entire bodies whereas your perspective is from your eyes, which are the center of your face. I'll be at the grocery store or whatever and see a guy who looks a good bit taller than me, then if I walk really close by him I'll realize I'm actually taller.
Same thing happens to me all the time! I’ll see some guy and be like “dudes so tall” then I walk by him and I’m same height. So weird.

My company had our 6'2 CEO replaced by a 6'7 CEO. That was until the latter was caught embezzling funds. So then he was replaced by a I swear a 5'7 dude. I was shocked lol. But, the company started doing better especially during the pandemic so there's that.
Imagine how good the short guy had to be. Of course he did better.

thief183

I think it is all related to self confidence, being tall, good looking, or any phisical caratteristic changes the way an individual act. There are obviusely exceptions, but most of the time self confidence make difference.

Biff

I think it is all related to self confidence, being tall, good looking, or any phisical caratteristic changes the way an individual act. There are obviusely exceptions, but most of the time self confidence make difference.
Yep. Being tall means at the minimum you are unlikely to be bullied throughout middle/high school. At the maximum you are great at sports/girls and become popular.

That snowballs throughout life into confidence and connections. You hit university with a running start when networking starts to count.

And add on top of all this - genetics. If you are tall your father was probably tall and had 50 years of these benefits before you. So if he didn't make CEO in his career maybe at least he made VP and can get you an intern job somewhere early.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
^All of our bullies were like 5’8” with mean streaks. I got picked on because it made them feel better about themselves.

I'm 6'2, I think being tall is extremely overrated.

Yeah I’m 6’3” and there are diminishing returns on height with the ladies after like 5’10” where your face matters more than additional height.

Also when you’re taller than everyone else while growing up, teachers and adults treat you like you’re 2-3 years older than where you are mentally which was rough because you constantly feel like you get zero sympathy/empathy because you’re just so damn big haha

Last edited:

Romulus

Being a 6'5 is usually awesome. I was a pretty serious bodybuilder for almost a decade too. But the was literally too much. Crazy the amount of guys that would go to great lengths to try and defeat me psychological behind the scenes. Mostly made up stories and gossip. Or make some quips and underhanded compliments.

EIJ12bt.jpg

Being a 6'5 is usually awesome. I was a pretty serious bodybuilder for almost a decade too. But the was literally too much. Crazy the amount of guys that would go to great lengths to try and defeat me psychological behind the scenes. Mostly made up stories and gossip. Or make some quips and underhanded compliments.
Isnt being a body builder at 6'5 tough as hell?

HoodWinked

Wonder if there's a correlation with height and intelligence. If someone is taller while genetics plays a role it also means they had better nutrition during childhood which should mean better brain development as well.

Top Bottom