• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online services for Xbox 360 Halo games will now end in January 2022

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-360-halo-games-768x412.jpg

xbox-360-halo-games-online-1024x622.jpg

Online services for a number of legacy Halo games will be discontinued in January 2022, 343 Industries has confirmed.

It was originally announced that various online services for Xbox 360 Halo games would be closed in December 2021, but a revised shutdown date of January 13, 2022 has now been confirmed via Halo Waypoint.

The games set to be impacted are Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Spartan Assault and Halo Wars.

Jennings

The number of 360 Halo games compared to the Xbox One Halo games really helps underscore my disappointment with the Xbox One genration.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
At this point anyone who can afford xbox live and a isp subscription can save up enough money to buy a xbox series S.

If someone saved £20 a week they could get a SeriesS after 12.5weeks

You have to "rebuy" them though, not everyone likes wasting money rebuying things they already bought.

You don't "have" to do anything. If you only want to play the X360 version you can't anymore. It's up to you to decide to purchase the new one. There is no gun to your head.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - | Xbox One | CDKeys

It's $30, works across all platforms, Xbox One, Series and PC, has every fps Halo game included outside 5 (for now) and they've honestly added more than $30 worth of content to the collection since it launched. They recently even updated Halo 3 MP with new maps and gear and on PC have mod-friendly servers so you can drive a limousine Warthog with 20 players in it around.

Naked Lunch

Impossible to go back to 360 Halo 30fps multiplayer when the MCC exists.
Though im wondering once they shut it down - if I can still access my theater save films ive had for over a decade at this point. Ive saved some true classics back in the day.

Andodalf

Banned
The number of 360 Halo games compared to the Xbox One Halo games really helps underscore my disappointment with the Xbox One genration.

Halo 4 being a 360 game instead of a XO launch title as had been internally suggested really messed things up. They scrambled to get H5 ready to go as soon as they could, and then after it missed the mark decided to go deep in the tank on the next title.

GloveSlap

Impossible to go back to 360 Halo 30fps multiplayer when the MCC exists.
Though im wondering once they shut it down - if I can still access my theater save films ive had for over a decade at this point. Ive saved some true classics back in the day.
Agreed. Playing Halo 3 at 1440p 165fps is a revelation after playing on 360 for so long.

Man it's heart-warming to know these servers have still be going. I have such fond memories of playing Halo 3 on 360.

So many sleepless nights just playing custom games. Times were simpler back then.

Last edited:
I traded a Xbox One for a White Stars Wars Xbox 360.

I should probably buy and play this before they remove it. But when will I play this. I wish I had the strong nostalgia nintendo fans have.

Which makes me think.. When people say I don’t pick a side, I own all consoles.. I think wow what an incredible waste of time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Halo Reach demo disc was released after the game first launched, offering Xbox 360 users a chance to try the game out before they purchased it. It not only includes a portion of the Halo Reach campaign's Long Night of Solace level, with all four difficulties included, but also two multiplayer playlists. There's standard Multiplayer, which is played on the lone Powerhouse map supported by the demo, as well as Firefight, played on Overlook.

Accessing the demo isn't even altogether very difficult, so long as players have an Xbox 360. The file is available freely online. All that's necessary is formatting a flash drive to FAT32, downloading the file and transferring it to the flash drive, and then plugging it into the back of the Xbox 360 for installation. From there, it's just a matter of selecting the Multiplayer playlist and waiting to find a match. It may be slow, however, depending on how many people across the world are playing.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Having multiple version of the same game is pretty pointless. But for anyone still battling away on a 360, I suggest they treat themselves and get an XSS, or hell if they are on a really tight budget a 2nd hand Xbox one.

Agreed. Playing Halo 3 at 1440p 165fps is a revelation after playing on 360 for so long.

It ran rock solid on the 360 but the field of view was tiny and the resolution was usually (?) sub native 720p (know that was the case in the single player. They may have left a little performance on table but back in the day, a shooter that played that well with that much going on was awesome. It wasn't quite the same revelatory experience that Cod4 was because 60fps on console in a AAA shooter was so unusual but the attention to detail and polish in 3 was best in class for sure.

Top Bottom