• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Gaming in Early 2000s: We don't give Korean MMOs Platform like Nexon and Ijji.com the credit they deserve.

Before Esport, Before Fortnite, Twitch, Team Fortress and Steamm....

If you wanted to play Online with a social aspect it was Korean MMOs. Games like Kwon Oh, Guns The Duel, S4 League paved the way to what we take for granted today.

What were some of your favor Early 2000s Korean MMOs?

Last edited:
Those were the days !

I loved playing Soldier Front and Drift City on Ijji and Combat Arms and Audition on Nexon

Last edited:
Vindictus.

It was the only game that nailed Devil May Cry-like combat for an online game. I follow their combat director just to know what he'll be working on next once he's finally done with the game.
Vindictus was the "Warframe" of it time right down to the aesthetics being meh but the game being free and so accessible made it worth playing

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I played a ton of Gunz. What made it good was that it “suffered” from some very exploitable clipping glitches. Slapshot and butterfly style all daaaaay.... players could whip outside the bounds of the level, recover from otherwise-deadly falls, and fly across rooms. It was amazing.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Gunz is seriously top tier gameplay to this day. Played it religiously during its peak and could have been the inventor of "reload shot" which is pretty much the final stage and evolution.

Last edited:

Areiz

Banned

If you wanted to play Online with a social aspect it was Korean MMOs. Games like Kwon Oh, Guns The Duel, S4 League paved the way to what we take for granted today.

What were some of your favor Early 2000s Korean MMOs?

In the early 2000 the online games aren't even on my backlog

Ascend

I loved GunZ and KwonHo.

GunZ had some crazy controls. I never went further than the butterfly and the slash shot. The simple butterfly was better than the double one imo. I could beat people dbf-ing with my normal bf, so... Yeah.

KwonHo was my go-to fighting game since I did not have a console. I was quite good, even though I say so myself.

The time of ijji was golden. Too bad the company didn't survive.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Are you having a laugh mate?

You would have to go very far back indeed to find a period without a Team Fortress community. The following was huge (for the time, less gamers in general) and this carried onto TFC for Won.net and a decade later steam before even the release of TF2 (its technically the 3rd entry), entire leagues, custom community servers with there own unique quirks and forums... I dunno what planet you where on at the time, but gaming communities with social interactions didn't start with Korean MMO's they started with community servers.... its why people still talk about Tribes to this day... because there WAS a community, its why there called community servers.

Just to prove this point, here is a recreation of the now defunct wire play community forums

Scroll down to Team Fortress Classic, it had nearly half a million posts before it shut its doors in mid 2001, and that was a single community server... I dont think Gunz even had as many players as TFC in the mid 90's.... I dont think any MMO did.

Last edited:

If you wanted to play Online with a social aspect it was Korean MMOs.
What about all the non-Korean MMOs and online games people were playing around that time? Not social enough? Team Fortress released in 1996, by the way.

nahcir

Neo Member
MapleStory by NEXON was kinda fun until I decided it was a good idea to develop a private server engine for it and get sued for 2,500,000€. But apart from that, fun times.

Havoc2049

What about all the non-Korean MMOs and online games people were playing around that time? Not social enough? Team Fortress released in 1996, by the way.
I agree.

Ultima Online - 1997
Phantasy Star Online - 2000
Everquest - 1999
World of Warcraft - 2004
Planetside - 2003
Quake III Arena - 1999
Unreal Tournament - 1999

Pejo

I am become death. The destroyer of worlds.
iu

Flyff was a great time, at the time. I couldn't believe it was free. Getting your flying ability was so rewarding since it took a bit of a grind to get there.

Then there was Silkroad Online. My friends and I had some fun with this one too, but the grind level was absolutely obscene.
Silkroad-Online-R-Weapon.jpg

Actually, all Korean MMOs were famously noted for being a huge fucking grind. It was nice when I had unlimited free time, but I could never ever go back to something like this now. Killing tigers for 3 hours to gain a 1/3 of a level, and that was the fast way to do it.

harmny

Banned
Why is no one mentioning lineage 2?

Gunz has to have the highest skill ceiling of any pvp game ever. The funniest part is that's all unintentional because all the competitive gameplay is built on exploiting bugs canceling animations and things like that but it works beautifully.

Imagine doing that AND aiming. And this is not even a good player

Last edited:
Are you having a laugh mate?

You would have to go very far back indeed to find a period without a Team Fortress community. The following was huge (for the time, less gamers in general) and this carried onto TFC for Won.net and a decade later steam before even the release of TF2 (its technically the 3rd entry), entire leagues, custom community servers with there own unique quirks and forums... I dunno what planet you where on at the time, but gaming communities with social interactions didn't start with Korean MMO's they started with community servers.... its why people still talk about Tribes to this day... because there WAS a community, its why there called community servers.

Just to prove this point, here is a recreation of the now defunct wire play community forums

Scroll down to Team Fortress Classic, it had nearly half a million posts before it shut its doors in mid 2001, and that was a single community server... I dont think Gunz even had as many players as TFC in the mid 90's.... I dont think any MMO did.

tfc got me into online gaming, i used to be on those old wireplay forums heavily, had some great games in tfc, what a time.

Top Bottom