• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year anniversary of Ubisoft ignoring pompous open letter demanding 'change'

cormack12

Gold Member
Original thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ubis...llowing-industry-misconduct-scandals.1614397/

hqdefault.jpg

FYwdqP3VUAETdg7

FYwdrVXUUAAcA3R

FYwdsUSVsAEH9_m

FYwdtETUYAMqHE9

Ladioss

My God some of those demands : a seat at the board, cross-industry blacklisting, automatic canceling of "offenders" (I imagine due process would be "violence" against "victims")...

These people want to establish an international/industry-wide woke syndicate to solidfy an iron grip on the vg industry and gatekeep it from unwanted outsiders :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

yurinka

My God some of those demands : a seat at the board, cross-industry blacklisting, automatic canceling of "offenders" (I imagine due process would be "violence" against "victims")...
Fun fact: Ubisoft already has not one, but three of the 14 people in the board of directors who are employee representatives (one of them specifically for the employees who also are shareholder, which means most of the company).

Demand #1 seems reasonable any sign that has or hasn't been addressed?
Several top people was fired or left the company since the shitstorm started, so I assume yes. But well, there's also some people who never will be happy and that will ask to fire people who didn't do anything worth of getting fired and/or on rumors or unproven accusations that the company can't verify. I assume a company won't fire someone because someone else doesn't like him as boss and some asshole who works for him possibly made up stuff.

Last edited:
I'm sure these talented individuals can jut go find another job like 25% of them already have. If they're so confident to the point they're making demands surely Ubisoft can't survive without them and will fold...

These guys want a seat at the grown-up table but I doubt they would be able to make any of the grown-up table decisions. All these companies are in the shit in the first place because dipshits like them have gotten promoted to positions of power in the companies as the real talent retires or leaves to start their own business.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I must be the luckiest guy on Earth.

Every company I've worked for (small ones when I was doing shitty summer jobs) and Fortune 500 kinds of companies (last 20+ years) all seem pretty goof to work for. No giant protests, no twitter battles, no CEO/Manager/Subordinate abuse lawsuits, no leadership roles quitting the company due to scandals etc....

That's wild west video game and tech culture for ya.

Maybe if bosses acted more maturely and employees did the same, where they all treated the workplace like professionals for 8 or 9 hours per day, you wouldnt get so much weird shit going on.

Lady Jane

Banned
So let me get this straight. This group/movement is putting Ubi on blast to improve....with graphics that promote Ubi's new game?

It's just....weird. "Help us! But don't forget about Skull & Bones!"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One thing I'll give full credit to UBI employees. A 100% whole hearted A+ rating.

They sure know how to format text. The variety in left align, right align and justify using all caps is incredible.

Who knew you could do all of that in a handful of slides.

Last edited:

Dane

Every company I've worked for (small ones when I was doing shitty summer jobs) and Fortune 500 kinds of companies (last 20+ years) all seem pretty goof to work for. No giant protests, no twitter battles, no CEO/Manager/Subordinate abuse lawsuits, no leadership roles quitting the company due to scandals etc....

Maybe if bosses acted more maturely and employees did the same, where they all treated the workplace like professionals for 8 or 9 hours per day, you wouldnt get so much weird shit going on.
Tech and videogames were born on informal relationships, nowadays you can't have it because people can't behave or start to cry abuse when there isn't, seems the way is to go back to the traditional cubicle and "shut up and work".

//DEVIL//

Thank God they didn't change. The more these people get annoyed the happier the world is.

Here to all the feminists and woke to quite the videogame industry forever. Cheers Ubisoft.

Also, this is coming from someone who doesn't like any Ubisoft games lol

Last edited:

kiphalfton

As long as I don't read the retarded comments some people post in our company's social media feed all is well.

Like you said if people acted like normal human beings at work and didn't try to screw coworkers, didn't make derogatory/sexist comments, didn't put too much trust in others, and left work at work, this wouldn't be an issue. But apparently that's too difficult.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as I don't read the retarded comments some people post in our company's social media feed all is well.

Like you said if people acted like normal human beings at work and didn't try to screw coworkers, didn't make derogatory/sexist comments, didn't put too much trust in others, and left work at work, this wouldn't be an issue. But apparently that's too difficult.
Agreed.

And for heaven's sake, if employees didn't bring their selfish home life and politics to work treating the office like a second home, that would cut down on tech company stupidity too.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This one was hard to put a lolz emoji on because it's like.... I understand what they're saying and some of the demands they're making are very fucking Noble but at the same time start your own fucking company if you really feel that way you got hired by this company knowing who they were.

So I believe the demands about not allowing some predator or something that some offender to go from Studio to Studio with no repercussion is a Justified one because if someone is doing something that is illegal they should be fired and given over to the authorities or something like that I don't think any of us should be debating that but this whole argument about wanting a seat at the table of where the company moves forward starts to sound a little bit ridiculous because they are hired by this company they do not own it...

So I agree with the idea of the people leaving for them not tackling abuse as I would never joke about something like that anyone should leave a company that does not address something of the sort, but the rest of it seems like some crazy demands for people who chose to be employed by this company maybe it just makes more sense to make their own company.

Ubisoft will be just fine and them leaving will just open the door for others to join.......thats it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This one was hard to put a lolz emoji on because it's like.... I understand what they're saying and some of the demands they're making are very fucking Noble but at the same time start your own fucking company if you really feel that way you got hired by this company knowing who they were.

So I believe the demands about not allowing some predator or something that some offender to go from Studio to Studio with no repercussion is a Justified one because if someone is doing something that is illegal they should be fired and given over to the authorities or something like that I don't think any of us should be debating that but this whole argument about wanting a seat at the table of where the company moves forward starts to sound a little bit ridiculous because they are hired by this company they do not own it...

So I agree with the idea of the people leaving for them not tackling abuse as I would never joke about something like that anyone should leave a company that does not address something of the sort, but the rest of it seems like some crazy demands for people who chose to be employed by this company maybe it just makes more sense to make their own company.

Ubisoft will be just fine and them leaving will just open the door for others to join.......thats it.
It doesnt even have to be that serious of a topic like bad bosses and abuse.

Some employees just like to complain no matter what.

Case in point. At my company, we had about two years of WFH. The past 3 months we've been back to work hybrid style where management has asked employees to show up at the office one day a week. If you want to come in more go ahead, but please come in once a week. Were trying to set some cadence of person to person comraderie instead of everyone being robots on MS Teams where most people dont even go on cam. Many people in online meetings dont go on cam or say anything. You dont even know if they are sitting there listening or mowing the lawn.

You wouldnt believe the whining I've seen. Some people havent come in once. It's got so bad, the execs pushed down to all managers to take note who is coming in or not because they noticed when they come to the office there's almost nobody around. And they are right. I go to the office 2-3 times a week (never on a Friday) and there have been days there's 5 people in the office out of a max office pool of like 150 people. There is no way everyone shows up at least once a week. Thats all they ask.

And because of that, it's going to get to a point they fuck up the loose rules execs have set because they will at some point mandate more days and formal tracking.

For all your gaffers who had to go to work during covid like nothing happened, can you believe some WFH people who were lucky enough to not commute dont even want to go back one day per week? Insane.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It doesnt even have to be that serious of a topic like bad bosses and abuse.

Some employees just like to complain no matter what.

Case in point. At my company, we had about two years of WFH. The past 3 months we've been back to work hybrid style where management has asked employees to show up at the office one day a week. If you want to come in more go ahead, but please come in once a week. Were trying to set some cadence of person to person comraderie instead of everyone being robots on MS Teams where most people dont even go on cam. Many people in online meetings dont go on cam or say anything. You dont even know if they are sitting there listening or mowing the lawn.

You wouldnt believe the whining I've seen. Some people havent come in once. It's got so bad, the execs pushed down to all managers to take note who is coming in or not because they noticed when they come to the office there's almost nobody around. And they are right. I go to the office 2-3 times a week (never on a Friday) and there have been days there's 5 people in the office out of a max office pool of like 150 people. There is no way everyone shows up at least once a week. Thats all they ask.

And because of that, it's going to get to a point they fuck up the loose rules execs have set because they will at some point mandate more days and formal tracking.

True. It can be like that. Most of my career in IT and business has been working from home so I dealt with a whole lot of that, but if the situation you are talking about is from the pandemic, as in they were hired to work at a physical location and because of the pandemic they had to shift to WFH, then I see it as a demand in some form that they employees are making to continue WFH by not showing up.

But thats how it is for work and school really, if something is optional......many not doing it lol They need to stop asking and start making it a hard rule and you'll see someone show up for 5 minutes and leave lol Its not for everyone and 10 years ago I never thought I'd favor working from home and I found I'm most productive by myself, but I digress.

I overall agree though, some will complain simply to complain, I find valid reasons for some of what they are saying, but a lot of it sounds like a deep entitlement when they can just form their own company.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Turn over rate in this industry is incredibly common. Implying that 25% left because of the situation at Ubisoft is misleading at best. To give an indication: The average turn over rate for the industry is 15%.
That's 25% of the letter signees. Actual ubi turnover has been worse in 2021 from what I've heard, but that's been a problem across all of tech in last 18 months.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
True. It can be like that. Most of my career in IT and business has been working from home so I dealt with a whole lot of that, but if the situation you are talking about is from the pandemic, as in they were hired to work at a physical location and because of the pandemic they had to shift to WFH, then I see it as a demand in some form that they employees are making to continue WFH by not showing up.

But thats how it is for work and school really, if something is optional......many not doing it lol They need to stop asking and start making it a hard rule and you'll see someone show up for 5 minutes and leave lol Its not for everyone and 10 years ago I never thought I'd favor working from home and I found I'm most productive by myself, but I digress.

I overall agree though, some will complain simply to complain, I find valid reasons for some of what they are saying, but a lot of it sounds like a deep entitlement when they can just form their own company.
Our office is a traditional one where everyone showed up 5 days a week before covid. Even the handful of IT guys working the server room showed up every day. If someone can show up before no problem, it doesn't sound hard to show up one time per week.

Just to show what assholes some people are, when covid hit the fan and everyone was asked to WFH indefinitely (for anyone who didn't get a chance to WFH, at the beginning nobody knew how long it would last. And every company's new WFH policy was different and came out of nowhere), get this entitlement.....

Our company has both office and warehouse combined. So every once in a while we get free samples and boxes of product. Sometimes it's scheduled like someone in charge of inventory says they got lots of shit to get rid of so come get it. But sometimes, you just want some free shit and you email someone from the warehouse if they got loose stock lying around they can grab.

So in our first company virtual meeting on MS Teams where the bosses went over what's going on, how to expense things you need to buy on your own, vaccines are coming soon so please look into it etc..... you know what question someone asked?

"The company used to give us free product, how do we get it now if we work from home?"

The answer from one of the VPs was.... "you don't until everyone gets back to the office"

So out of all the covid mess during March and April 2020 when a lot of offices shut down, you got some people who cared the most about boxes of free product.

Last edited:

EDMIX

That's 25% of the letter signees. Actual ubi turnover has been worse in 2021 from what I've heard, but that's been a problem across all of tech in last 18 months.

True, so they might be trying to make it sound like it was THEM that made some dent, but thats going on all over the place. The great resignation is still taking place and tbh, I don't blame many leaving to go independent. The pandemic has once again show you can't put your life and all your trust to a company, their job is to make money for them....not you. I think many saw their friends and families with businesses getting them PPP loans or not worrying about getting fired or something and maybe it triggered many to not return to work or to leave or enter some pack to go independent and take a chance or something.

When shit hits the fan, companies will trim the fat and maybe after all of this, people saw where they really fit into those companies and felt they can do better on their own or something. I think it sucks that it had to happen this way, but I don't think many should have been putting so much faith in those companies in the first place, but a topic for a different day.

StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige lol that sounds like some crazy entitlement thing 100%. I'd be like "sir, we was owed them free things per our contract" (completely ignores how those free things came about and turns it into a default demand)

Last edited:
Top Bottom