• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece |OT| To The Grand Line

MastaKiiLA

Caught up and Skypiea is still the best arc. Wano isn't a good arc at all besides the Kid/Killer dynamic, Oden's backstory and Yamato it's been boring as fuck.

The Big Mom arc would have been amazing if they narrowly escaped from her and Pedro sacrificed himself but it kept going and going and going and going.... Dragged the quality right down.
Sabaody Archipelago is still my favorite arc. 3 of the most epic moments in the series: the auction house, Dark King Rayleigh's save, and, of course, the first time OP broke the internet. That was actually what got me to start reading the manga. Everyone lost their collective minds.

Skypiea was interesting, but not much more than that for me. I mean, it's followed not long after by Water 7 and Enies Lobby. It's kinda strange that Skypiea would've resonated more with you than that epic double-header.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Sabaody Archipelago is still my favorite arc. 3 of the most epic moments in the series: the auction house, Dark King Rayleigh's save, and, of course, the first time OP broke the internet. That was actually what got me to start reading the manga. Everyone lost their collective minds.

Skypiea was interesting, but not much more than that for me. I mean, it's followed not long after by Water 7 and Enies Lobby. It's kinda strange that Skypiea would've resonated more with you than that epic double-header.
I read this series when I was 16 in 2006 and I caught up when Nico Robin was biting down on the bridge trying to delay Spandem taking her to Impel Down. I stopped reading when Luffy got into Impel Down to save Ace. I picked it back up in October last year and caught up in Feb. Skypiea has always been a big deal to me and considering it's CONSTANT relevance especially with this Joy Boy shit it's an arc that's been devalued for a long time. Water 7 is good, Enies Lobby is okay.

I like Dressrosa a lot and that's an arc that is also shit on a lot. I don't follow the fan opinion, I make my own.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Sun God Nika could very easily fit into Skypeia lore, but the character name was only first mentioned a year ago. I saw some fans assuming that the transformation would be more like Sun Wukong since his name is Monkey and shōnen adventures are supposed to follow the journey west template. Oda is more unpredictable with where he takes things. He used the Greek name Nike, but the character seems to function much like Dionysus, almost a Jesus like figure.

Fbh

Caught up and Skypiea is still the best arc. Wano isn't a good arc at all besides the Kid/Killer dynamic, Oden's backstory and Yamato it's been boring as fuck.

The Big Mom arc would have been amazing if they narrowly escaped from her and Pedro sacrificed himself but it kept going and going and going and going.... Dragged the quality right down.

Kinda agree. It feels like it's dragging on and there's just too many perspectives from too many characters all moving forward at a snails pace.
The Luffy Kaido battle has been boring as fuck too. Hopefully the latest development makes it interesting again.

Urban

Sun God Nika could very easily fit into Skypeia lore, but the character name was only first mentioned a year ago. I saw some fans assuming that the transformation would be more like Sun Wukong since his name is Monkey and shōnen adventures are supposed to follow the journey west template. Oda is more unpredictable with where he takes things. He used the Greek name Nike, but the character seems to function much like Dionysus, almost a Jesus like figure.

GODA foreshadowing my boy:

and Nika is not based on greece mythology

Wildebeest

and Nika is not based on greece mythology
I said that the character doesn't really relate to the myths of Nike, but it does seem very likely that the word is from Greek mythology, since those names have been used before for ancient things in One Piece.

When I talk about Dionysus, I'm talking about the sort of mythology in your image. The thing Dionysus was the best known was wine. For mad parties where women would get drunk and dance to drums. But he is also a god of resurrection and liberation of slaves. We will see if this plays out, but Dionysus had the power to transform the worshippers who joined him in his mad dance, giving them the power to tear apart their enemies with their bare hands. Could you imagine a more absurd and more feared ability for the world nobles in One Piece?

Yoboman

Skypeians worshipped the sun god, and silhouette of Luffy is a direct comparison to Nika and was shown in Skypeia. The scene that Oda once said was his favourite in One Piece and we had no idea why at the time

Potentially Oda only came up with the name Nika more recently but the groundwork and foreshadowing has been laid long ago

Skypeia is significantly more interesting in retrospect of what we know now. I particularly like how Enel vs Luffy was supposed to be the power of a God vs luffy. But in reality it was Enel vs the power of a God

Yoboman

Kinda agree. It feels like it's dragging on and there's just too many perspectives from too many characters all moving forward at a snails pace.
The Luffy Kaido battle has been boring as fuck too. Hopefully the latest development makes it interesting again.
Best arc in One Piece IMO

Wildebeest

Skypeia is significantly more interesting in retrospect of what we know now. I particularly like how Enel vs Luffy was supposed to be the power of a God vs luffy. But in reality it was Enel vs the power of a God
Hey now, Enel got everything he ever wanted, maybe he is a god. Oda could easily change him to be an awakened mythical zoan as well, it that's what it takes. Sengoku is certainly also a god tier fighter, so it isn't like it is shocking that these fruits exist.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Franky and Brooke are subpar additions to the crew btw. Thank fucking god for Jimbei.

Remember when Oda was building up to Carrot potentially joining and pissed all over it in Wano? Ah well at least Yamato may join.

Wildebeest

Franky and Brooke are subpar additions to the crew btw. Thank fucking god for Jimbei.

Remember when Oda was building up to Carrot potentially joining and pissed all over it in Wano? Ah well at least Yamato may join.
Frankie's story was overshadowed by Robin, but Brooke is great. The core crew members are the line-up of east blue + chopper that you see in the iconic line-ups from Alabasta farewell and the Enies Lobby wall. Robin isn't even in that line up. Too many characters and they don't get enough time to shine.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
hey all, made it to wano in the anime, but just started

Still, I am curious, is Yamato a girl, a boy, trans? Or something else happening there? Been seeing a lot around about her lately

Wildebeest

hey all, made it to wano in the anime, but just started

Still, I am curious, is Yamato a girl, a boy, trans? Or something else happening there? Been seeing a lot around about her lately
Yamato is an 8'8" demon with red horns in a cartoon world where people can completely change gender due to magic. Among the strawhats are a talking reindeer, a fish, and a skeleton. You are not going to get a forensic medical examination on any of that.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Yamato is an 8'8" demon with red horns in a cartoon world where people can completely change gender due to magic. Among the strawhats are a talking reindeer, a fish, and a skeleton. You are not going to get a forensic medical examination on any of that.
yeah, i am still curious.

Wildebeest

yeah, i am still curious.
"These things cannot be stopped: Inherited will. People's dreams. The ebb and flow of the ages. As long as people seek the answer to freedom, these will never cease to be!"

If you want to read One Piece, then questions about those three subjects are all that matters. What sort of will does Yamato inherit? What are Yamato's dreams? How is Yamato involved in the ebb and flow of the ages? Ask those and you will get answers.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Sanji is gonna be very happy as long as Yamato keeps fangirling over Oden. I think he's gonna wanna bathe a lot. Also Nami seemed awfully eager to do the same with Yamato...😏

More seriously though WHO WAS INTERRUPTING THE SIGNAL? Is Blackbeard attacking the WG?

MastaKiiLA

I read this series when I was 16 in 2006 and I caught up when Nico Robin was biting down on the bridge trying to delay Spandem taking her to Impel Down. I stopped reading when Luffy got into Impel Down to save Ace. I picked it back up in October last year and caught up in Feb. Skypiea has always been a big deal to me and considering it's CONSTANT relevance especially with this Joy Boy shit it's an arc that's been devalued for a long time. Water 7 is good, Enies Lobby is okay.

I like Dressrosa a lot and that's an arc that is also shit on a lot. I don't follow the fan opinion, I make my own.
I'm with you on that. I enjoy what I enjoy, and don't care much what anyone else thinks. I just found it curious. I've seen a lot of people bemoan Skypiea. It's definitely not my favorite, but I didn't mind it as much as the Davy Back and Thriller Bark arcs. It featured one of the few battles for my favorite SH, Nico Robin.

Wildebeest

Oda does things like create characters with big boobs to make people happy. He doesn't troll or do things because of spite.

Wildebeest

Yeah he wouldn't do it for that reason but some may take it that way regardless at point with how divided the fandom is
Makes no difference to me. I just read the comic. Theories and interpretations are fun, but people in this fandom can get way too pompous and self-important about their favourite ones.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Just read the latest chapter...it's gonna be a LOOOOONG break. Guess I better binge Bleach since they're finishing up their anime. Only on episode 25 so far

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So we have to wait a MONTH to find out if Yamato will join the crew and whether Luffy will accept her? That's unfortunate lol

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This is some concerning stuff. I really hope similar strictness isn't used in other places. Obviously Era is bad and so far reddit is ok with either but this is scary especially when their own polls ruled against it and so the boss just stepped in and overruled them

Kenpachii

Skypeians worshipped the sun god, and silhouette of Luffy is a direct comparison to Nika and was shown in Skypeia. The scene that Oda once said was his favourite in One Piece and we had no idea why at the time

Potentially Oda only came up with the name Nika more recently but the groundwork and foreshadowing has been laid long ago

Well lets be honest here, everybody was half asleep through most of the filler shit the guy throws at you. So yea not shocking nobody cared even remotely.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is some concerning stuff. I really hope similar strictness isn't used in other places. Obviously Era is bad and so far reddit is ok with either but this is scary especially when their own polls ruled against it and so the boss just stepped in and overruled them

Don’t worry, you can properly refer to Yamato as a she here. One of the few bastions of sanity on the internet left.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Don’t worry, you can properly refer to Yamato as a she here. One of the few bastions of sanity on the internet left.
I am happy to see that the majority of people on the One Piece subreddit seem to support it (based on up and downvotes) so it would take some lone authoritarian mod to change things there too.

Anywho enough with my negativity and concern I am incredibly excited to see where this goes...IN A MONTH

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am happy to see that the majority of people on the One Piece subreddit seem to support it (based on up and downvotes) so it would take some lone authoritarian mod to change things there too.

Anywho enough with my negativity and concern I am incredibly excited to see where this goes...IN A MONTH

Same! I re-read everything and I am SO hyped. Its amazing what Oda and his team has done. Every chapter feels like it flows naturally into the next, aside from maybe one or two side runs like the Foxy Pirates that feel utterly like filler. And all the hints and teases into what woudl happen in the future? Masterful.

I just wish we could get some equally epic and massive video game to match the tone and feel of what One Piece has become. Sadly Pirate Warriors just doesn’t hit that spot, despite being good games.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Same! I re-read everything and I am SO hyped. Its amazing what Oda and his team has done. Every chapter feels like it flows naturally into the next, aside from maybe one or two side runs like the Foxy Pirates that feel utterly like filler. And all the hints and teases into what woudl happen in the future? Masterful.

I just wish we could get some equally epic and massive video game to match the tone and feel of what One Piece has become. Sadly Pirate Warriors just doesn’t hit that spot, despite being good games.
I really enjoyed pirate warriors 4 as that was my first foray into the series (and I think first ever dynasty warriors type game). But yeah would be nice to have a truly epic action JRPG in One Piece with like a Final Fantasy budget. Unfortunately I think the boat sailed (no pun intended) on one piece ever becoming that popular in the west (I know it's popular but not DB Huge to justify a bigger game) a long time ago when 4kids caused them to get so far behind with their hellish dub

Urban

So I’m pretty convinced that Robin gets captured. She is the only SH without a “ the xth crewmate” chapter even after enies lobby

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I really enjoyed pirate warriors 4 as that was my first foray into the series (and I think first ever dynasty warriors type game). But yeah would be nice to have a truly epic action JRPG in One Piece with like a Final Fantasy budget. Unfortunately I think the boat sailed (no pun intended) on one piece ever becoming that popular in the west (I know it's popular but not DB Huge to justify a bigger game) a long time ago when 4kids caused them to get so far behind with their hellish dub

I don’t even think we need a final fantasy like budget. Just look at the Naruto games and how they slowly expanded on the story in major arcs. That is what I wish we had.
Game 1 is set at the start And continues through alabasta or Skypeia. Telling each moment faithfully with high quality ”Filler” content in between. Game 2 is set from Skypeia to the Marineford War. Game 3 starts at the timeskip and goes until the end of Dressrosa or even Wano. Then Game 4 is whatever we have until the very end of the series. Each building upon each other, telling the story faithfully, with strong gameplay, and good model design and environmental. I wouldn’t say One PIece Odyssey is AAA in budget or scope, but it does look beautiful all the same!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I don’t even think we need a final fantasy like budget. Just look at the Naruto games and how they slowly expanded on the story in major arcs. That is what I wish we had.
Game 1 is set at the start And continues through alabasta or Skypeia. Telling each moment faithfully with high quality ”Filler” content in between. Game 2 is set from Skypeia to the Marineford War. Game 3 starts at the timeskip and goes until the end of Dressrosa or even Wano. Then Game 4 is whatever we have until the very end of the series. Each building upon each other, telling the story faithfully, with strong gameplay, and good model design and environmental. I wouldn’t say One PIece Odyssey is AAA in budget or scope, but it does look beautiful all the same!
Actually that would be awesome. I'd want it more like the first couple UNS games where they had more of a world (though honestly it'd be nice to have a more expansive overworld) rather than the more confined stuff of 4 where it's just battles. I think One Piece naturally is a very open and explorable world so in between major story missions there could be some fun original content or even a G8 DLC for an earlier game.

Wildebeest

So I’m pretty convinced that Robin gets captured. She is the only SH without a “ the xth crewmate” chapter even after enies lobby
Seems like whatever rug pull we are going to get will be crazier than that. But if Oda wants to write another long ass rescue Robin arc, then so be it.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Seems like whatever rug pull we are going to get will be crazier than that. But if Oda wants to write another long ass rescue Robin arc, then so be it.
I could see him holding some hostages and maybe catching them by surprise to make off with Robin. Can threaten to vine drain people like usopp and Nami who would be easy to hold. Could even see a surprise death if oda really wants to show how serious a threat the dude is

Wildebeest

I could see him holding some hostages and maybe catching them by surprise to make off with Robin. Can threaten to vine drain people like usopp and Nami who would be easy to hold. Could even see a surprise death if oda really wants to show how serious a threat the dude is
That guy was going after the big bounties. It was CP0 who were told to take Robin. That CP0 guy was done when he was told that Luffy was now a higher priority than Robin and to kill him.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Not up date date but please don't reuse this plotline Oda. Oh my god.

Also Yamato is a girl who wants to be Oden who was a man. Can't be assed with all the trans mental gymnastics. Okiku I can give you but Yamato? Naw.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Not up date date but please don't reuse this plotline Oda. Oh my god.

Also Yamato is a girl who wants to be Oden who was a man. Can't be assed with all the trans mental gymnastics. Okiku I can give you but Yamato? Naw.
Yep. Freaking Kotaku with their misleading headlines promotes it too. It's really annoying to even talk about the character outside here and maybe reddit now

MastaKiiLA

I definitely don't want another rescue arc, especially not another Robin rescue. She's my favorite character, so I want to see her hold her own. I hope we get a reminder of how important she is to the overall story, with the latest reveal. This is a long time for a payoff on something from way back in Alabasta.

Not sure what GB is going to do. He's a Akainu fanboy, and OP. Commanders getting off-paneled means we're going to have to see him actually fighting at some point before the SHs leave Wano. Is he going to be the 4th and 5th acts of the Wano arc that people predicted we'd see? Hopefully this is a chance for Usopp to shine, given his expertise on plants.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I definitely don't want another rescue arc, especially not another Robin rescue. She's my favorite character, so I want to see her hold her own. I hope we get a reminder of how important she is to the overall story, with the latest reveal. This is a long time for a payoff on something from way back in Alabasta.

Not sure what GB is going to do. He's a Akainu fanboy, and OP. Commanders getting off-paneled means we're going to have to see him actually fighting at some point before the SHs leave Wano. Is he going to be the 4th and 5th acts of the Wano arc that people predicted we'd see? Hopefully this is a chance for Usopp to shine, given his expertise on plants.
Who knows. Maybe she shows no fear of the Strawhats but when he sees what Pluton is he shows great fear and decides to relay that info to show its importance

Urban

Sorry i thought this was the manga thread. ill use spoiler tags from now on.

I mean Robin is the most valuable person alive since she was introduced...

Manga Spoilers for Anime onlys
Oda is pretty much teasing it since 1-2 years that all the pirates want robin and she is the only person without such a chapter. U can check it for yourself. Its not a theory(the part with the chapter titels)

BlueAlpaca

Oda has said OP is close to the end; if there's a Robin rescue it'll be part of the final arc and not a detour.

Not much to go now, we've got the giants island Elbaf arc Oda's been hinting about for a long time and the final raftel/laugh tale one and then the final battle. Maybe two, one against Blackbeard and one against the World Government/celestials but my guess is that Oda will combine them in one epic world war.

Wildebeest

I mean Robin is the most valuable person alive since she was introduced...
Not really though. She is not as useful to the world government as Vegapunk, for example, and they only want her to stop her revealing information about the void century, and it's looking a little late for that for various reasons.

Top Bottom