• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece live Action coming to Netflix in 2023 | Poster Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member
FnsXBYzaMAAPhku

v4uen5ei08fa1.jpg
Adventure is on the horizon! One Piece sets sail in 2023​

Last edited:

Fbh

Can someone explain the logistics behind this to me?
Is it just "popular IP = a lot of people will at least check out 1 or 2 episodes"?

If you've made it far enough to have a position at Netflix were you can greenlight new shows you HAVE to know this shit will suck, get hated by nearly everyone and then cancelled after 1 season. Right?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What chapter they on now? I stoped before 1000…. Christ.

1073. Its on break until the 12th.

Best thing to do with One Piece is just read an arc at a time. Super easy to do as they are all well designed with when a new arc starts and ends. An amazing comic series.

Only downside is now I have over 100 books. Literally an entire bookcase dedicated to just One Piece.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Best thing to do with One Piece is just read an arc at a time. Super easy to do as they are all well designed with when a new arc starts and ends. An amazing comic series.

Only downside is now I have over 100 books. Literally an entire bookcase dedicated to just One Piece.

Yeah I pay for a month of the jump app every year or so to get caught up, think the castle thing was about to crash in the japanish arc when I stopped last time. Good stuff but a commitment if starting off.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah I pay for a month of the jump app every year or so to get caught up, think the castle thing was about to crash in the japanish arc when I stopped last time. Good stuff but a commitment if starting off.
Yep. I will say that this next (and supposedly final) arc is amazing. Decades of build up with amazing payoffs and excellent reveals.

Vyse

Gold Member
I’m on episode 52 on Netflix. This show is awesome. Figured I would watch a few episodes before I got into the game. Of course I got hooked. Never heard of One Piece before.

Yoboman

Couple reasons:
The casting has been on point

Oda is an executive producer and has overseen all the scripts and casting

The snippets they've shown of the sets look really good

The showrunner (Matt Owens) is a massive One Piece fanboy, and has shown up regularly on One Piece Youtuber streams to talk about the show or just to talk about recent chapters. He knows his stuff and will not take the source material for granted. Which is a big contrast to so many adaptations where the people involved don't even like the source material

The leaked pilot script was really good. Though that's a few years old now so likely has changed a bit

Has a big budget on the level of Game of Thrones per episode

There is still a lot of questions on how well they can translate the property to live action. Can they translate the action and comedy well? Does the acting hold up. But to this point they seem to have put everything possible in place to make it work. If it doesn't work I would put it down to it just not being a property that translates well to live action

ssringo

They're going to have to use so much CG it might as well be an animated show.

Also, it's weird seeing these characters with so much meat on their bones. Though Luffy does seem reasonably thin.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's going to suck.

Quote me on the day.

No it's not, that's the same budget per episode as TLOU

Some shows like HOTD blow it away but they are proven successes that can command a bigger budget
And TLoU doesn’t need a whole lot of special effects like a One Piece show would. Better off comparing it to a Disney+ superhero show budget.

Yoboman

And TLoU doesn’t need a whole lot of special effects like a One Piece show would. Better off comparing it to a Disney+ superhero show budget.
It does though? What do you think those massive sets are, entire landscapes of CG overgrown environments, prosthetics, huge numbers of extras and set pieces like the outbreak.

Disney Plus shows also have extremely expensive casting alot of the time. I dont think it's a comparable situation

Also One Piece is nothing too fantastical in the first saga. It's really just regular looking islands, no real biome changes, some CG for 3 total devil fruit users, some good prosthetics for the fishmen. Casting is all relative unknowns. Otherwise having really high quality set design will be the trick which looks the case from what they've shown. If it runs for multiple seasons though it will need a big budget increase and popularity to justify it

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm gonna get the feeling it's like most anime/animation to live-action adaptations like Cowboy Bebop and The Last Airbender.

I would pay over 70 dollars for a 100+ hour One Piece video game that tells the full abridged story. It would be my preferred way to consume this content.

Always wanted to start watching the anime but I'll die before I ever finish it. Wasnt there a less bloated version of One Piece anime coming? Is that still a thing?

Fbh

Looks awful and this coming from someone that liked the cowboy bebop Netflix show.

Ed in that show is a good example of why this won't work.
In the anime she is a fun, quirky character with a cartoony personality that blends in well with the animated nature of the show.

But try to adapt that character to live action and you get:
cowboy-bebop-edward-wong-hau-pepelu-tivrusky-iv.gif

One of these days, someone will get this live action anime thing right, and I hope it's this one.

The Kenshin movies were pretty decent. The costumes looked a bit silly but otherwise it was a good adaptation with some great action scenes.
For western productions I still think Edge of Tomorrow is the best example. Not an anime but based on a Japanese light novel and manga. They altered the story and made everything a bit more grounded so it actually worked in live action. Though they had the benefit of the source material not being nearly as popular as something like One Piece/Cowboy Bebop so there wasn't much complaining about the changes.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would pay over 70 dollars for a 100+ hour One Piece video game that tells the full abridged story. It would be my preferred way to consume this content.

Sadly not a thing. You can look into the various Pirate Warriors games though. Closest you will get.

Top Bottom