• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once and for all, which Sonic game is the best ? [poll inside]

Which Sonic game is the best ?

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I honestly don't have a favorite Sonic game. I've played Sonic Colors, If I were to choose, though, I'd choose Shadow the Hedgehog, I like how SEGA was able to take on putting Sonic in the world of Camelot, & the ending (I won't reveal the ending, it's a huge spoiler!) was a huge plot twist I didn't expect. Also, the music was fantastic: I loved the Misty Lake music & the song With Me that played during the final boss! Shadow the Hedgehog...the only misgiving I have about that one is the fact that you have to obtain 10 endings before getting the Last Story, but otherwise, I like that Shadow got a self-titled game revolving around him. He's my favorite character too. As for Sonic '06, I'm putting this on my post because even though people gripe about how it was one of the worst games created, the music was fantastic. My favorite in the soundtrack was the music for the final battle against Solaris, along with the End of the World soundtrack. There are 7 versions of End of the World: my favorites are Tails, Amy, & Shadow's versions. By the way, please don't gripe to me about how Sonic '06 is bad, I get enough of it from reading YouTube comments, & I love the music.

So feel free to state your favorite Sonic Game. But if your favorite is a game released after Sonic Colors, then feel free to say so! Also, the poll is optional: you don't have to answer it, but I'd prefer if you do, because I want to see what you like!

Orta

Banned
Adventure (though maybe its nostalgia speaking) then Sonic 3, 1, 2, 3D Blast (Saturn version), CD, Mania and the rest can fuck off.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I could say 2 because it's just awesome stuff, but 3 has graphics, sound and level design that made the ground up for Sonic forever. And even has a DLC (& Knuckles) before was really a thing

Very difficult to choose between Sonic (1) and Sonic 2, but Sonic 2 wins for me. The spin dash is such a welcome addition and the music is slightly better, but both games are masterpieces. Don't care much about any of the other games though to be honest. (Yeah, I've tried them all)

Last edited:

maxwell247

Never actually understood the love for Sonic 2. Sonic 3 and even 1 are superior, than 2, in my opinion. First one for the level design and overall difficulty and 3 for the music. And we even are not talking about Sonic 3+K !

As for nowerdays, really enjoy Mania. I think it's complex and balanced iteration of classic 2d Sonic games.

TDiddyLive

T19it9t.jpg

GymWolf

I only played the one included with my sega master system 2 plus, the one that has the under water sections with the air bubbles, i think it was sonic 2 but i'm not sure.

Never liked the saga tbh.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
2 is a great game but I played it to death as a kid. I can't play that shit anymore.

Voted 3. Superb music & visuals. Very fast pace if you want to blast through a level but also still plenty of hidden secrets if you want to slow down & explore. The only flaw is that the Super Sonic theme sucks & overrides the much better zone themes.

cireza

Banned
Older games :
Sonic 1 (Master System)
Sonic 2 (Master System)
Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic CD
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic 3D (MegaDrive)

Recent games :
Sonic Unleashed (360)
Sonic Colors (Wii)
Sonic Generations (3DS)
Sonic Lost World (Wii U)

Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Sonic 2006 did not age well, but they have my favorite soundtracks.

Last edited:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
best level design, most content, nice cinematic flair that would be expanded on the adventure games, character exclusive routes, best special stages. nuff said

Sonic Adventure is close there despite not aging well.

For me, it will ALWAYS be Sonic Adventure. I love the original, Sonic 3 + Knuckles, and Sonic Adventure 2, but the original Adventure is just so special to me. I love the 6 campaigns, the soundtrack, the way Sonic translated to 3D, and I honestly still remember the first time I ever saw it in a demo kiosk at Epcot. When I held the weirdly awesome DC controller, everything just clicked for me and I was addicted. The only thing on my mind for the next few months was how I needed a Dreamcast to play this. To this day, getting that Sonic Adventure Dreamcast bundle and immediately going home to play is one of my favorite gaming memories. Sorry for longish post, but I had to. Its not a perfect game, but it doesn't matter to me.

tkscz

Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

The level design takes what Sonic 2 gave it and keeps it focused. Not every second is moving at top speed but when you are, the levels are designed to stop you without it feeling intrusive (random trap or spring or enemy). Levels have multiple paths and each path doesn't feel like a better path than others, so it's fun to take any. No sudden bullshit levels (looking at you Metropolis zone) and more focus on levels being fun over levels being spectacle.

LRKD

Sonic 2, or Sonic Adventure 2 I guess.... Hard to say, a lot of the sonic games bring very different things to the table. A lot of them just really aren't similar enough to compare and easily choose a favorite.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sonic 1. At least it's the only one that I still play every few years. Sonic 2 is good also. I was over it by the time Sonic 3/Knuckles released, though I love the Chaos emerald levels in those games. The bonus game with the Sonic 1 (or 2) cart plugged into Sonic&Knuckles was an awesome addition. I think you needed to press ABC at the same time and it sent you to the Sonic 3 bonus stage game.

Sonic Adventure on the DC (any platform really) is a mess that was created in the bowels of Hell.

Sonic Lost World I thought was a step in the right direction (when it works). The game is still a bit of a mess though most of the time.

MastaKiiLA

I'm happy to see I wasn't the only Sonic 2 vote. I loved that game to death. Sonic 3 was good, but not as good. Sonic 1 was the OG, but Naka stuck gold with Sonic 2. It was just perfect.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Voted for Sonic 2 but its kinda sad Sonic Advance has no votes its better than every 3D game on that list

Dynasty8

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins is my favorite.

They really dived deep into the Chaos storyline.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sonic 1. It has everything that’s good (?) about Sonic without the bs level design and enemy placement introduced in 2. Not a great game, but I could force myself to finish it once at least.

Top Bottom