• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On the PS2, were you Team Jak and Daxter or Team Ratchet and Clank?

Team Jak and Daxter or Team Ratchet and Clank on PS2?

• Team Jak and Daxter

Votes: 95 55.2%
  • Team Ratchet and Clank

Votes: 77 44.8%

• Total voters
It's been 20 years since the first games for Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank released. They were big successes that spawned 2 more sequels and a spin-off for the PS2, and both had PSP games that ported to the PS2, making it so that Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank would have more than 3 releases on the PS2 each!

Now that's a lot of games, but which team were you on? I was on team Jak myself, after the first game the series finally got good, The series was more mature, the story telling was superb, the writing was much better than R&C, and the characters were more relatable. Ratchet and Clank always seemed to rely on shock or edgy humor, and while it focused more on weapons than Jak ever did, its weapons were shockingly unbalanced in comparison. I also found Ratchet and Clank to be a very easy series, but Jak challenged me with every entry.

Jak 1-3, Jak X, and Lost Frontier were Jak's PS2 games, and Ratchet 1-3, Deadlocked, Size Matters, and Secret Agent Clank were Ratchets PS2 games. It may seem that Ratchet has the advantage by having an extra game, but since Secret Agent is universally panned I would argue that's not the case.

Team J&D

200.gif

Nezzeroth

The way I would rank them is probably:

Ratchet 3, Ratchet 2, Jak 3, Jak 2, Jak 1, Ratchet 1.

I prefer the Jak & Daxter series to the first Ratchet & Clank game, but after that one, Ratchet became better than Jak imo.

SegaShack

I mean the Ratchet games are fun but so samey, even now. Jak and Daxter I didnt enjoy all that much.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I just didnt get on with R&C 3, the island battle thing just seemed to go on forever and was so boring, do you ever go back to planets after that?

leo-j

Let me just say the quality of Ratchet on the new platform is a tremendous upgrade from previous ratchets.

The R&C series is, for me, some of the best in all of gaming. Jak had some fun games, but nothing I couldn't have missed.

R&C all the way!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Jak and daxter was really a true gem. I never got to play ratchet and clank, didn't click with the style.

bender

What time is it?
Both and neither. Jak and Daxter was great. Then ND decided they needed to introduce GTA elements and Shadow the Hedgehog into the sequels. I know people like the platforming in those titles, but I just couldn't. I loved Ratchet and Clank as well and the sequels were fine but it was a case of too much too soon. We got what, 4 games in the first 4 years?

Jak and Daxter is so overrated. Only the first game was ever even good. Ratchet and Clank has always been the better series.

Last edited:

Holammer

Since Sly Cooper trilogy isn't an option, I guess Jak was my jam, but I'm on record on disliking the direction it took with II & III.
Never played Retched and Clunky much back then or since.

Banned
team Jak, which proves once again that children are stupid :messenger_tears_of_joy:

but for real, looking back... Ratchet is just so much better

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Jak and Daxter..

I think Naughty Dog is a little more talented. But they're both excellent games/series.

Barakov

Team Ratchet and Clank by a mile. While I thought the first Jak and Daxter was pretty good, I hated Jak 2 and 3. On the other hand I've loved every Ratchet and Clank game except maybe Deadlocked and even that was just pretty good.

retsof624

I'm glad other people love Jak and Daxter and hate the other 2 games. Them games were ass when they didn't have to be. They could've kept doing what they were doing with the first game.

Quasicat

Of those 2, Ratchet and Clank. Otherwise, I was Sly Cooper all of the way! I can still complete the first one with one life through muscle memory (not bad since it had one hit kills until you grabbed the horseshoe). I played it that much!

Last edited:

Tschumi

I select jak just because i like naughty dog, but i didn't care about these games back then. Uhh around that time i think my favourite platforming game was Metroid Prime. I really appreciate r&c 2016 now though, hella nice game.

Never played them on PS2. I’ll go with R&C cause fuck Naughty Dog. Quite enjoyed R&C on PS4. If I ever get a PS5 I’ll pick up the new one probably

Last edited:

yurinka

The artstyle of both games was too ugly for me, skipped both. Same goes with Sly Cooper. Not sure now but I'd bet the first Ratched I played was on PS4.

Last edited:

Joey.

Jak & Daxter will always have a special place in my heart.
In my PS2 days, Jak and Daxter was GOAT tier for me.
Truthfully never got into Ratchet....I was team J&D.
(We shall not talk about the sequels...)

Ratchet is classic, but definitely oversaturated. I would play the original Jak and Daxter over all Ratchet games besides the newest one.

Jak 3 is a bit of an improvement over Jak 2. Don't know what else to add to this.

Birdo

Banned
Team Sly Cooper all the way.

I always found the R&C games a bit mindless.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was team "Ratchet and Clank are bad games" and I have no interest in Jak and Daxtar.

So, I suppose I leaned J&D?

Shivvy24

Growing up in the PS2 era I was a Jak fan even though I liked ratchet. When the ratchet future trilogy came out for PS3 mainly a crack in time, it was equal for me.

Merkades

I never played any of them until the PS3 remasters (one reason I like remasters). R&C is much better than Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper. I immediately finished the remasters and started buying all the games as they released (Or were already out? not sure which came first and don't care to look it up). Still only 1/2 way through the other two games remasters.

Tomorrow my PS5 is slated to arrive, along with the new R&C... (or today technically)

Top Bottom