• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On PS5, can you play PS+ collection games you own on disc, but no longer need the disc, and not have to DL again?

That's a lot to work into a thread title, but what I'm asking is if you can "update" your retail version data to no longer require the disc, or do you have to do a full download of the free PS Plus version in order to not use the disc? I'm pretty sure on PS4, if a game you owned the retail version of came to PS Plus, you'd have to delete the retail version and download the whole thing again, and I'm wondering if that has been improved for PS5.

technically you don't need your ps4 disc to do that.

edit: I think I got what you mean. Never tried to do that.

Last edited:

Rodolink

would be awesome to install a game completely without needing the damn disc. its such a bother to swap them.

Fallout 4 testing:

- installed from disk
- I have PS+ (and so have that version of Fallout 4 also)
- put Killzone Shadow Fall in drive, and tried to play Fallout 4 (and it asked me to install Fallout 4 disk)
- when I try to download the PS+ version, it can't and only presents a "play" button

I guess I have to delete the Fallout 4 disk based install, and re-download the PS+ version to get away from the whole asking for a disk.

I have to see if my two paid DLC's (Nuka-World, and Far Harbor) transfer over to the PS+ version.

Darn. That's disappointing to hear. Please let us know if you are able to successfully run the game without the disc after deleting your disc install and downloading from PS Plus, if it will let you.

gamer82

am i missing something here, why would you expect the playstation plus version to ask for a disk if its a digital title ?

i cant see then allowing anyone to technically get free games. whats stopping people doing this installing the disk and taking games back and ending up with free digital games.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
am i missing something here, why would you expect the playstation plus version to ask for a disk if its a digital title ?

i cant see then allowing anyone to technically get free games. whats stopping people doing this installing the disk and taking games back and ending up with free digital games.

On Xbox if you've installed the disc version then it comes to Gold or Gamepass you can load from the same installation without using the disc again, I think that's what he's asking.

Yes, you are missing something. To clarify with a step by step description:

I buy a retail game.
I install the retail game from disc.
I have the retail game installed from disc.
That game then comes to PS Plus or PS Plus collection.
* Can I claim the PS Plus version and play without the disc? The answer seems to be yes.
* Do I need to delete the retail version and download all the same data that I just deleted, in order to play the PS Plus version without the disc? The answer also seems to be yes.

That's how the PS4 worked as well, and I was hoping PS5 didn't still work like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom