• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On paper, the GPU in the Xbox Series X is faster than a GeForce RTX 2080 Super.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Look at the Vega 64 TF number 12.66 TF (a more advanced architecture than what is found is current gen consoles) and then look at the FASTER 5700XT at 9.75 TF.

I realize a lot of you have demonstrated you realize this but just to hammer the point ... the 9.75 TF 5700XT is significantly faster in games than the 12.66 TF Vega 64. The 5700XT is a RDNA1 part. The 12TF Xbox One X GPU is going to be a RDNA2 part with further (but not yet precisely known) architectural performance gains. This may yet be on par with a 2080TI if you ask me.

I’ve said it before but Microsoft is being extremely conservative when they said “twice the power” as One X. In raw TF that is technically correct but in reality this GPU will absolutely crush that expectation.

Bandi

Banned
I’ve said it before but Microsoft is being extremely conservative when they said “twice the power” as One X. In raw TF that is technically correct but in reality this GPU will absolutely crush that expectation.
true, but if they said its way more powerful than just 2x then people would say: "BUT THE NUMBERS DONT ADD UP! TFLOP IS JUST 2X! CAN'T BE MORE THAN! THAT LIEEEEE!!"

so, its better to keep expactations low and then blow it out of the water.

pawel86ck

Banned
Lol, ssd as vram?!?! Not anytime soon. If SSD's can one day have the read/write of ram, as well as the speed, MAYBE. But wake me up when that happens, as ram is only getting faster and faster, and at a way faster rate than SSD's.

Compare next gen SSD's to current or last gen vram speeds of gpu's, think it through THOROUGHLY, and get back at me. Let me know your thoughts, without eating up all that PR MS and Sony have provided.
You can laugh, but Digital Foundry has presented results in their video and SDD magic is indeed working. Current gen consoles werent revolutionary in any way, however next gen console should finally push technology forward👍.

LostDonkey

If i was to lock my 1070 to 20fps just like a console I reckon I could run every single game next gen piece of piss.

8le9fGq.png

S0ULZB0URNE

Seems odd, cause we both were responding in that thread about GoW and how it might come to pc, but you were defending it so hard. If you own a pc that is much more superior than consoles, why WOULDN'T you wanna play that game in a better atmosphere. Seems really fishy.
it's odd to you cause PC is your preference.

No I don't like 30fps and blurrier/dirtier visuals and yes it can be hard going back and forth.

I am mainly a mp/social gamer who likes the better voice chat/party abilities of consoles.
No I don't wanna run another program in the background on my PC to achieve this.
Plus most of my online friends are on the consoles.

Those tweets comparing the xbox to some super computers of yore, Apple likes to do this as well, the iPad is more powerful than an old Cray computer... the Macintosh II was more powerful than some super computer of many years before it was released as well. Still interesting, but at least as relevant as the PS2's super computer status, or the game cubes strapped together analogy.
scwfNSf.jpg

You forgot the real metric
The duct tape is not to scale.

With a reply like that, I'm guessing daddy bought it for you? Or was it mummy?
I buy everything I own, sorry. I'm guessing your mom or dad didn't buy you anything though, based on your response. But hey it's cool, some of us aren't lazy and don't make poor troll attempts like you do. Maybe get a job and you can afford nice things in life, and not hate on things you don't have/can't afford.

Good luck

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I buy everything I own, sorry. I'm guessing your mom or dad didn't buy you anything though, based on your response. But hey it's cool, some of us aren't lazy and don't make poor troll attempts like you do. Maybe get a job and you can afford nice things in life, and not hate on things you don't have/can't afford.

Good luck

Oh I see, it was actually your wifes boyfriend that bought it for you.

It all makes sense now.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Your ability to troll is pretty low effort. F minus. Stop detailing the thread if you have nothing to add.

Mod of War Mod of War can you handle this kid.

Joined Jan 2020.

Already crying to mods.

Calling others "kid".

Is irrationally insecure about a joke made of poor cable management.

Has top tier GPU while using the most basic bitch power cables.

Spends most of their time trying to justify what their wifes boyfriend bought for them.

The time around new console generations is always such fun.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 2020.

Already crying to mods.

Calling others "kid".

Is irrationally insecure about a joke made of poor cable management.

Has top tier GPU while using the most basic bitch power cables.

Spends most of their time trying to justify what their wifes boyfriend bought for them.

The time around new console generations is always such fun.
It's a 1300 watt power supply. Who cares what color the power cables are, except for you? Not even I care. Not sure why you are so jealous? Do you need a donation? I don't get your infatuation with me. Maybe I'm wrong to assume you're a kid, but I'm just going from the way you are acting. I mean, who attacks others for what they own? Seems childish to me. But to each their own. Welcome to my ignore list, best of luck!

Well 2 to 3 year old good luck with it matching next gen consoles lol
Why would it need to match gen? Why not just beat next gen consoles? I mean, the 2070, 2080, 2080 TI came out 2 years ago. If going by TF #'s, none of this will make sense, cause PR has already convinced you that next gen consoles will beat current and next gen hardware for pc's. Can you tell me where any console has beaten hardware that was out at the time?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why would it need to match gen? Why not just beat next gen consoles? I mean, the 2070, 2080, 2080 TI came out 2 years ago. If going by TF #'s, none of this will make sense, cause PR has already convinced you that next gen consoles will beat current and next gen hardware for pc's. Can you tell me where any console has beaten hardware that was out at the time?
A 2-3 year old pc is a decent pc but next gen being closed platforms optimised for games only with latest spec with things like RDNA 2.0, you will be surprised how good next gen will be. Now if you spent a decent amount now on a new pc then yeah you will push it futher than next gen consoles but 2-3 years I be surprised if it tops them

A 2-3 year old pc is a decent pc but next gen being closed platforms optimised for games only with latest spec with things like RDNA 2.0, you will be surprised how good next gen will be. Now if you spent a decent amount now on a new pc then yeah you will push it futher than next gen consoles but 2-3 years I be surprised if it tops them
How could a weaker gpu, theoretically beat a higher end gpu though? Even with optimization and all, the sheer power on pc's, cpu and gpu wise, will always have the higher refresh rate, visuals, etc.

longdi

Banned
You got to bow to MS courage to engineer a RTX2080 8 cores gaming console in this day and age.

How many gaffers have a 8 cores PC? I bet ya plebs still using 2500K. :messenger_spock:

So I can go out and buy the xbox series x now. NOW!?

No? So what's the point of this thread? That a console released some time in the future will be as fast or faster than a gpu released last year?

Fuck me sideways guys. And no, a closed system is not value per dollar comparable to an open pc platform because the latter can do so much more than just play xbox games. And at the end of the day if you want the best performance you will buy the cpu's and gpu's coming months from now, you won't be going with last years 2080. If you want the best exclusives you will go with the ps5 and nintendo.

Last edited:
Lol, ssd as vram?!?! Not anytime soon. If SSD's can one day have the read/write of ram, as well as the speed, MAYBE. But wake me up when that happens, as ram is only getting faster and faster, and at a way faster rate than SSD's.

Compare next gen SSD's to current or last gen vram speeds of gpu's, think it through THOROUGHLY, and get back at me. Let me know your thoughts, without eating up all that PR MS and Sony have provided.
You've never heard of the radeon ssg I take it?

sendit

You got to bow to MS courage to engineer a RTX2080 8 cores gaming console in this day and age.

How many gaffers have a 8 cores PC? I bet ya plebs still using 2500K. :messenger_spock:

Agreed. The PS4 also has 8 cores. The PC market has yet to make 8 cores standard.

llien

If going by TF #'s, none of this will make sense, cause PR has already convinced you that next gen consoles will beat current and next gen hardware for pc's.
The PC vs consoles angle to it is amazingly ignorant.
Where are we at with 2080Ti market share, may I ask?
Oh, let's be generous, 0.8% of the market.

Now tell me which game studio will design geometry, textures, etc, specifically for 0.8% of the market?

Between 2080 and 2080Ti levels of performance in consoles is not only laughably overpowered, compared to what average PC gamer has, (crap like 1060 if at all), but it will enjoy games being specifically tailored for it, making it laugh at faster PC GPUs, none of which will be used effectively.

sinnergy

Look at the Vega 64 TF number 12.66 TF (a more advanced architecture than what is found is current gen consoles) and then look at the FASTER 5700XT at 9.75 TF.

I realize a lot of you have demonstrated you realize this but just to hammer the point ... the 9.75 TF 5700XT is significantly faster in games than the 12.66 TF Vega 64. The 5700XT is a RDNA1 part. The 12TF Xbox One X GPU is going to be a RDNA2 part with further (but not yet precisely known) architectural performance gains. This may yet be on par with a 2080TI if you ask me.

What’s the most common TF number used in PCs on steam? Could be that Series X surpasses that?

GymWolf

Sorry my english is a bit shitty...are you praising the gpu inside seX or not? With crush expactations you mean in a positive way right?!

magnumpy

Now tell me which game studio will design geometry, textures, etc, specifically for 0.8% of the market?

Between 2080 and 2080Ti levels of performance in consoles is not only laughably overpowered, compared to what average PC gamer has, (crap like 1060 if at all), but it will enjoy games being specifically tailored for it, making it laugh at faster PC GPUs, none of which will be used effectively.

this is why imo next generation consoles are so exciting! you have all this great technology getting into the hands of the typical masses of developers and gamers. honestly even once launched it won't be in the hands of the masses, that will take 1 or 2 years after next gen launch for that train to get really moving and of course you're looking at 3-5 years after next gen launch for this to become typical like PS4 is now, but it's still forward progress. so perhaps ~2023? it will be a somewhat negligible effect until then. it just takes time :messenger_loudly_crying:

GymWolf

There's no way you own that, as much as you shit on pc. Way better than any console and probably just as powerful if not more, than next gen consoles. This is hilarious at best lololol
Not to be that guy, but i own both a beefy pc, a ps4 pro, a switch and an xbox and i equally talk shit about them because i'm not a 5 year old child that have to defend everything he possess, i can actually bitch on everything if something is not right for me.

This legend that you don't possess something because you shit on em is...a legend.

Horizon is my gotg and i can write down 10 pages of flaws for that game, idem for rdr2, my 2018 goty...

It's called being an adult with critical sense.

So him having a 1080ti and still talking some shit about pc gaming is perfectly credible without the need of a photo.
I have a 2070s and i'm sure seX is gonna obliterate my gpu...

Not to be that guy, but i own both a beefy pc, a ps4 pro, a switch and an xbox and i equally talk shit about them because i'm not a 5 year old child that have to defend everything he possess, i can actually bitch on everything if something is not right for me.

This legend that you don't possess something because you shit on em is...a legend.

Horizon is my gotg and i can write down 10 pages of flaws for that game, idem for rdr2, my 2018 goty...

It's called being an adult with critical sense.

So him having a 1080ti and still talking some shit about pc gaming is perfectly credible without the need of a photo.
I have a 2070s and i'm sure seX is gonna obliterate my gpu...
You obviously never seen the thread in talking about. Anyone can walk into a store and take a picture of a GPU. It doesn't mean they own it. And if you take a look at buddies post history, you can tell he's full of shit. Just like the clown from Australia who was talking shit.

Any adult with a little common sense can see the writings on the wall... Basic math, and history can disproved so many claims by both MS and Sony. I owned every console, so I can shit on them as well. I guess you never thought that far ahead, have you?

Why do uninformed people think a game has to be made and tailored for a specific GPU?! Get some basic know how and come back to me with an educated question.

You've never heard of the radeon ssg I take it?
Have you seen the gaming performance on it? Have you seen it in a gaming pc? Please do tell me, cause from my knowledge, it's NOT for gaming.... So what was the point of writing that? Do people game on Quadro gpu's? No. The same reason as the ssg....

Did you think before writing that? What is the market share for the xbsx? Is it at least 0.0001%? Some of us wanted to be early birds and enjoy the best visual quality you can get, 2 years ago. Not everyone on pc needs the beefiest system. But there are some who pay to play and want the best of the best.

Most people are waiting on the 3xxx series gpu's. Gamers only need something as good as the gtx 750 or rx 480 to beat consoles in every aspect. Not everyone needs a 2080 TI. Please come back to this thread when next gen releases, and quote me when consoles can't even beat a 2070/80.

Last edited:
Have you seen the gaming performance on it? Have you seen it in a gaming pc? Please do tell me, cause from my knowledge, it's NOT for gaming.... So what was the point of writing that? Do people game on Quadro gpu's? No. The same reason as the ssg....
So what you're saying is that no technology that wasn't created with the sole intention of being on a gaming graphics card can ever be used on a gaming graphics card? Good to know.

So what you're saying is that no technology that wasn't created with the sole intention of being on a gaming graphics card can ever be used on a gaming graphics card? Good to know.
I mean you could simply respond, or you could do a little research to find out that many games are created on cards that aren't meant to game on. I mean, who's gonna game on an RTX Titan, when you can have a 2080 ti for much less, and similar performance. Not every gpu is meant to be gamed on. Do you see gamers using a Nvidia Titan? Or GTX/RTX Quadro? Please tell me if im wrong.

Top Bottom