• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On paper, the GPU in the Xbox Series X is faster than a GeForce RTX 2080 Super.

SmokSmog

30% would be best case. Remember, the 25% improvement for RDNA1 is best case. It's not always that big of an improvement in every game.

I hope I'm wrong and RDNA2 turns out to be a HUGE change in architecture.
RDNA 1 has 25% ipc gain over last GCN cards

10% ipc + additional 2.25TF = something between rtx 2080 and 2080ti

But in reality it will be crushed by Nvidia nextgen.
For remainder Nvidia is still on 12nm aka 16nm+ and they are going for 7nm euv.

Last edited:
Those games got awards for best visuals.
No 3rd party game that the 680 could run can best them.
Best console visuals don't really mean much though....??? And why are you constantly moving the goalposts? You initial mentioned the rtx 2080 ti, so I quoted you. Now you are mentioning a gpu that released literally 8 years ago. Wtf lol

RPS37

It's a joke?
I'm on Intel/Nvidia - 8700k, 2070s, 32gb ram, SSD .
Zero problems. Games I've played all runs MUCH better.

RDR2 - 50-80fps
Sekiro ~ 120fps
KCD ~ 40-80fps
Star Citizen - 35-90fps...etc.

All this in 1440p with Free-sync and in 5-litre case that looks like this. (you can put 1080ti or 2070s here)

DYXfD-KUMAAa0KI.jpg

Tell me if it worse than on consoles lol.
That’s a nice looking PC.

S0ULZB0URNE

Best console visuals don't really mean much though....??? And why are you constantly moving the goalposts? You initial mentioned the rtx 2080 ti, so I quoted you. Now you are mentioning a gpu that released literally 8 years ago. Wtf lol
You must be trolling...

who mentioned the 680 1st?

You must be trolling...

who mentioned the 680 1st?
Obviously the trolling person is none other than YOU. I replied to a user with the 680, then you go on quoting me, and even mentioning it. Do you need any help or something?

PS4 has put out better looking "games" than the 680 has on the PC though.
PS4 destroys the 750.
It's very true games like Gow,The Order and Uncharted 4(to name a few) look better than anything the 680 has put out.
Those games got awards for best visuals.
No 3rd party game that the 680 could run can best them.

Last edited:
So I didn't mention it first.
I mentioned it an a response to a user, that quoted me. That user and you had no quotes with one another, so for YOU to bring it up, after the whole 2080 TI claim you made, means YOU are only moving the goal posts.

Now that is cleared up, do you wanna move the goal posts back to the 2080 TI, or do you wanna debate how the gtx 680 was a better gpu than last gen? Cause I won't quote someone on this site, unless they are completely wrong, or that I'm agreeing with them. And I'm definitely not agreeing with someone that a laptop cpu, and laptop gpu, will beat the 2080 TI at stock frequency. That is laughable at best. Especially with Ampere cards coming out. With 50% boosts in performance, the low to medium end card, RTX 3060 will easily beat the xb1x. Do you wanna refuse that? Or will you continue to move the goal posts again?

Then there will be the 3060, 3060 ko, 3060 ko ultra, 3060S, 3070, 3070S, 3080, 3080S, 3080 TI, that will trump it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I mentioned it an a response to a user, that quoted me. That user and you had no quotes with one another, so for YOU to bring it up, after the whole 2080 TI claim you made, means YOU are only moving the goal posts.

Now that is cleared up, do you wanna move the goal posts back to the 2080 TI, or do you wanna debate how the gtx 680 was a better gpu than last gen? Cause I won't quote someone on this site, unless they are completely wrong, or that I'm agreeing with them. And I'm definitely not agreeing with someone that a laptop cpu, and laptop gpu, will beat the 2080 TI at stock frequency. That is laughable at best. Especially with Ampere cards coming out. With 50% boosts in performance, the low to medium end card, RTX 3060 will easily beat the xb1x. Do you wanna refuse that? Or will you continue to move the goal posts again?

Then there will be the 3060, 3060 ko, 3060 ko ultra, 3060S, 3070, 3070S, 3080, 3080S, 3080 TI, that will trump it.
Laptop GPU in the XSX? Yeah you're shook!

S0ULZB0URNE

So you think a 95watt DESKTOP chip will be available in a console?!

you're shook AF

Or a almost 300 watt gpu?!

you're shook AF

Your need to check out reality before you start to dream.... No offense
Maybe higher.
You think custom chips in consoles play by the same rules as overpriced under powered PC parts? LOL

S0ULZB0URNE

Under powered pc parts? Do you EVEN realize that makes your games possible?! A fucking pc lololol. What do devs develop on? A gimped console?!?! :messenger_grinning::messenger_beaming::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_squinting:
For what we pay it's under powered.
(yes I actually game on the PC since 98)

Don't get your panties in a bunch nobody said PC's don't serve a purpose or even that gaming wasn't good on them.

For what we pay it's under powered.
(yes I actually game on the PC since 98)

Don't get your panties in a bunch nobody said PC's don't serve a purpose or even that gaming wasn't good on them.
Wanna take a pic of YOUR PC? Not your buddies pc, but YOUR PC? Or is this one of those posts....?

PC's will always serve it's purpose. Making the next gen games of course. How else do you think their gonna be made next gen games?!?! Definitely not on console though?!?!

Think about that for a second. How can you make a game with better graphics, or graphical Fidelity, on a PC?!?!, Ported to a console?!?! Literally every game is made on pc though?!?! Not a console lololol

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Wanna take a pic of YOUR PC? Not your buddies pc, but YOUR PC? Or is this one of those posts....?

PC's will always serve it's purpose. Making the next gen games of course. How else do you think their gonna be made next gen games?!?! Definitely not on console though?!?!

Think about that for a second. How can you make a game with better graphics, or graphical Fidelity, on a PC?!?!, Ported to a console?!?! Literally every game is made on pc though?!?! Not a console lololol

DlMWbmG.jpg

Not going unpack the tower..

HolyTruth

Banned

there is also a presentation from Jim Ryan (Sony BOSS) who says that we won’t see so many exclusive games anymore. not like current gen. It’s just too expensive.
Just look at dreams. Wasn’t it like 7 YEARS in development with a HUGE team and then less than 1500 copies sold in Japan.
they lost so much Money, they can’t afford this anymore.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

there is also a presentation from Jim Ryan (Sony BOSS) who says that we won’t see so many exclusive games anymore. not like current gen. It’s just too expensive.
Just look at dreams. Wasn’t it like 7 YEARS in development with a HUGE team and then less than 1500 copies sold in Japan.
they lost so much Money, they can’t afford this anymore.
Yeah a rumor of a older PS4 exclusive and a dev who doesn't own a IP wanting it to go elsewhere is NOT proof or any reason to think PS5 games are coming to the PC.

In theory both PS5 and Xbox Series X should punch way above their weight. So i'm included to believe these new consoles will be more powerful than a 2080 Super.

Both will punch well, well above their weight. That isn't even in question.
So you think a 95watt DESKTOP chip will be available in a console?!

you're shook AF

Or a almost 300 watt gpu?!

you're shook AF

Your need to check out reality before you start to dream.... No offense

Series X's GPU will most likely exceed 300w. You are in for a big ass surprise.

HolyTruth

Banned
In theory both PS5 and Xbox Series X should punch way above their weight. So i'm included to believe these new consoles will be more powerful than a 2080 Super.

For Xbox series X yes. But PS5? Any reason to believe that?
The same leak that proved Xbox numbers to be correct showed that the PS5 is only 9 TF with only RDNA 1. don’t think this is stronger than 2080 super.

llien

But in reality it will be crushed by Nvidia nextgen.
Yeah, the same way Switch crushed PS4 and XBone, chuckle.

Where do these insane expectations come from, guys? Do you realize that Navi beats Turing transistor for transistor?

llien

On paper, the XBOX is as powerful as a supercomputer.
"On paper."
Tell me, that PS4 exclusives do look like they run on 7850-7870-ish GPU.

2080+ level GPU in consoles will drop our jaws and show stuff unseen on PCs (because nobody gives a fuck about optimizing geometry, textures, whatever for 0.8% of the market, yeah, that is a generous assessment of the 2080Ti market share)

Last edited:

sinnergy

Imagine all these glorious looking games on this box 🤪

Can’t wait for launch and no need to buy new games thanks to Game Pass cheapest console launch since decades .

brian0057

Banned
"Hey, Microsoft. Can you guys make a console that costs $400 but has the graphical power a PC with an $800 GPU?"
Microsoft: "Sure. Let us bleed money for the first 3 years of its life cycle like Sony did with the PS3 did. Money is no issue. In fact, we hate money."

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
"Hey, Microsoft. Can you guys make a console that costs $400 but has the graphical power a PC with an $800 GPU?"
Microsoft: "Sure. Let us bleed money for the first 3 years of its life cycle like Sony did with the PS3 did. Money is no issue. In fact, we hate money."

From those 800$ only like 30-35% is the actual production and distribution cost, 280-320$ to be exact, the whole rest goes straight to NV pockets. And that 800$ GPU is still sitting on a more expensive 14nm process to begin with. Whereas on a contrary, APUs in launch PS4 and XB1 that were 350-360mm cost Sony/MS a mere 100-110$, so there shouldn't be that much of an cost increase from the next-gen APUs themselves, as they will be around ~400mm, RAM and SSD memory chips will be the major cost-defining factor.

I'm triggered by the basic bitch power cables and poor cable management.
Everything is tucked away??? Are you referring to the liquid cooling cables you see? You can't hide those in case you had no clue about them. There's an inlet and outlet for both my gpu and cpu liquid coolers. Pci cables are hidden, motherboard power cables are hidden. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Everyone is laughing at your right now. What a clown 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:
Tiny? I thought series X is huge af?
AlsoC don’t forget that series X is a CLOSED and FIXED system. Devs can perfectly optimize their games for it. Also with the fast af SSD etc.
LOL dude it's just a console. You realize that anyone who wants to can just upgrade their PC right?

lol dude
in reality 99% can't upgrade because of no money....

only 0.01% pc players has gpu>2080

Tell me, that PS4 exclusives do look like they run on 7850-7870-ish GPU.

2080+ level GPU in consoles will drop our jaws and show stuff unseen on PCs (because nobody gives a fuck about optimizing geometry, textures, whatever for 0.8% of the market, yeah, that is a generous assessment of the 2080Ti market share)
pure facts

lol dude

And.... Guess what? Majority of GAMERS on pc have a better gpu than current ps4 and xb1. Everyone is waiting for 3xxx series, or for 2xxxx gpu's to drop in price. Having a gtx 750 is literally nothing to brag about for SEVERAL years, yet it's more impressive than current gen. You don't need the best hardware to beat consoles.

It's just hilarious for console players that suddenly think they have the best hardware all of a sudden, from a TERAFLOP number, which ISN'T EVEN RELEVANT ON PC. There are 9TF gpu's that beat 12TF gpu's. Hence why this is so funny for informed people to read. Cause we know TF's mean nothing, especially how Nvidia's has been spanking AMD gpu wise. Their cpu's on the other hand are fucking impressive compared to Intel.

pawel86ck

Banned
Quick summary:
- Nvidia GPUs run much higher than specification on paper suggest. In reality 2080 ti is not 13.4TF GPU but more like 16TF OUT OF THE BOX, and 18TF when OC'ed. There's a very little chance 12TF XSX will beat that 16-18TF card.
- 2080S on paper is 11TF but it's running 12TF out of the box. XSX can be faster than 2080S, and especially if we consider RDNA2 will bring performance gains, however we dont know nothing about RT performance. Maybe XSX will be faster in raster compared to 2080S but slower when RT will be used.
- playing next gen ports on PC with comparable settings will require to build a high end PC no matter how you look at it. I doubt even 2000$ PC build with 3080ti will be be 2x faster compared to 12TF RDNA2 XSX therefore people will not play with much better settings and framerate on PC even when they will pay a premium.
- Ultra fast SDD in next gen consoles can create problems if developers will want to port their games on PC.

SDD drives on PC are fast too, but are really bottlenecked in real games because assets must be decompressed first (no matter if you buy slow or fast SDD on PC, load times will still look similar). Developers on PC will be forced to use much more system RAM in order to port their games to much less efficient SDD drives. I expect big system ram and vram increase in the near future.
- a good news is 12TF consoles will force Nvidia to cut the prices of RTX Turing series and probably Ampere too.

Last edited:
Quick summary:
- Nvidia GPUs run much higher than specification on paper suggest. In reality 2080 ti is not 13.4TF GPU but more like 16TF OUT OF THE BOX, and 18TF when OC'ed. There's a very little chance 12TF XSX will beat that 16-18TF card.
- 2080S on paper is 11TF but it's running 12TF out of the box. XSX can be faster than 2080S

I'm not shocked at all that PC Gamer doesn't seem to know this.

Quick summary:
- 2080S on paper is 11TF but it's running 12TF out of the box. XSX can be faster than 2080S, and especially if we consider RDNA2 will bring performance gains, however we dont know nothing about RT performance. Maybe XSX will be faster in raster compared to 2080S but slower when RT will be used.
- playing next gen ports on PC with comparable settings will require to build a high end PC no matter how you look at it. I doubt even 2000$ PC build with 3080ti will be be 2x faster compared to 12TF RDNA2 XSX therefore people will not play with much better settings and framerate on PC even when they will pay a premium.
- Ultra fast SDD in next gen consoles can create problems if developers will want to port their games on PC.

SDD drives on PC are fast too, but are really bottlenecked in real games because assets must be decompressed first (no matter if you buy slow or fast SDD on PC, load times will still look similar). Developers on PC will be forced to use much more system RAM in order to port their games to much less efficient SDD drives. I expect big system ram and vram increase in the near future.
- a good news is 12TF consoles will force Nvidia to cut the prices of RTX Turing series and probably Ampere too.

Not gonna lie. Some of the stuff you say it's definitely true, as far as Nvidia gpu's... But that guys post on imgur is ridiculous. If a whole level can be loaded in a matter of seconds at most, on pc, what would be the benefit of even faster ssd's? I mean check out pci vs nvme ssds. Nvme is definitely faster, but are there really any gains, price to performance wise? A few milliseconds or even a second is meaningless. I doubt next gen consoles will even be running 4ghz ram, more or less 3.2ghz for that matter. Especially as everything is running in conjunction with one another on the same bandwidth limitation. The cpu, memory, gpu will all be running in one, single, pipeline. Are Sony and MS really gonna sell a console at half the price of the BOM?

I don't doubt consoles will be more powerful than ever. But to take shots at consoles parents (PC), is really dismissive. Especially when games are developed on pc's. How can devs debug things if pc's supposedly can't handle these "next gen graphics" or these "superior ssd speeds". This shit is laughable at best.

Nvidia gpu's have a huge advantage over AMD in boost clocks, as they can boost much much higher than advertised. AMD on the other hand, doesn't work that way. Especially with a limited power envelope, you won't see boost clocks in consoles because of thermal and power limitations.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Not gonna lie. Some of the stuff you say it's definitely true, as far as Nvidia gpu's... But that guys post on imgur is ridiculous. If a whole level can be loaded in a matter of seconds at most, on pc, what would be the benefit of even faster ssd's? I mean check out pci vs nvme ssds. Nvme is definitely faster, but are there really any gains, price to performance wise? A few milliseconds or even a second is meaningless. I doubt next gen consoles will even be running 4ghz ram, more or less 3.2ghz for that matter. Especially as everything is running in conjunction with one another on the same bandwidth limitation. The cpu, memory, gpu will all be running in one, single, pipeline. Are Sony and MS really gonna sell a console at half the price of the BOM?

I don't doubt consoles will be more powerful than ever. But to take shots at consoles parents (PC), is really dismissive. Especially when games are developed on pc's. How can devs debug things if pc's supposedly can't handle these "next gen graphics" or these "superior ssd speeds". This shit is laughable at best.

Nvidia gpu's have a huge advantage over AMD in boost clocks, as they can boost much much higher than advertised. AMD on the other hand, doesn't work that way. Especially with a limited power envelope, you won't see boost clocks in consoles because of thermal and power limitations.
If only load times would be affected developers would just port their games normally, because most gamers (including myself) would not care if their game will load in one or five seconds. However SDD improve streaming speed as well. If game will be build to stream insane amount of data on PS5 then developers will have to decrease streaming speed (downgrade textures) or use more RAM / VRAM on PC. That's why I predict VRAM requirements will skyrocket when next gen consoles will launch. Ampere leaks suggest 16/20GB VRAM and people say there's no way games will use that, but I think Nv just knows what will be needed to run console ports in the near future.

At 8K some games already use over 16GB VRAM and when next gen ports will launch I think we will see similar VRAM usage even at lower resolutions. BTW- as people can see titan RTX can run many games at playable fps thanks to 24GB VRAM.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

PR
You don't understand, it SUPER FAST CUSTOM SSD. Ohh and I forgot to mention 3D Audio Ray Traced Audio, never heard before?
/PR

diffusionx

Gold Member
lol dude

Ultimately it doesn't matter how many people have it right now. New video cards will come out continuously bringing that performance to way more people. People are acting like the GPU market right now is what it will always be.

I suspect that a lot of people are waiting for what's coming instead of buying old 2018 tech right now.

Also, ultimately, if people are happy with performance, they don't need to upgrade. Not everyone needs or wants a high end GPU to play games at max settings. That's kind of the point of the platform.

If only load times would be affected developers would just port their games normally, because most gamers (including myself) would not care if their game will load in one or five seconds. However SDD improve streaming speed as well. If game will be build to stream insane amount of data on PS5 then developers will have to decrease streaming speed (downgrade textures) or use more RAM / VRAM on PC. That's why I predict VRAM requirements will skyrocket when next gen consoles will launch. Ampere leaks suggest 16/20GB VRAM and people say there's no way games will use that, but I think Nv just knows what will be needed to run console ports in the near future.

At 8K some games already use over 16GB VRAM and when next gen ports will launch I think we will see similar VRAM usage even at lower resolutions. BTW- as people can see titan RTX can run many games at playable fps thanks to 24GB VRAM.

But here's the thing, going from HDD to SSD is a huge leap in speed, read/write IO, etc. But the whole PR shenanigans about suddenly being about to stream textures and assets is a load of b.s. That's been a thing since forever. Even the OG PS1 streamed files from the disc, which weren't loaded into the system memory. Being able to "stream" textures and what not is nothing to flaunt, especially if you can hold all of those textures, mapping, assets, audio, etc, ALL within the ram and vram. SSD's aren't faster than DDR4/5, HBM2, GDDR5, GDDR5X, GDDR6, etc. So what is all this PR BS about?!

pawel86ck

Banned
But here's the thing, going from HDD to SSD is a huge leap in speed, read/write IO, etc. But the whole PR shenanigans about suddenly being about to stream textures and assets is a load of b.s. That's been a thing since forever. Even the OG PS1 streamed files from the disc, which weren't loaded into the system memory. Being able to "stream" textures and what not is nothing to flaunt, especially if you can hold all of those textures, mapping, assets, audio, etc, ALL within the ram and vram. SSD's aren't faster than DDR4/5, HBM2, GDDR5, GDDR5X, GDDR6, etc. So what is all this PR BS about?!
Yes, streaming was used even on old consoles, but there's a HUGE difference between 40MB streaming speed and lets say 5GB/s. Developers will be able to stream much more data now.

Just look here what fast SDD can do beyond faster load times. There's a slide show without SDD (and Nvidia evrn run out of VRAM), while radeon thanks to build in SDD run the same test without performance problems.

Last edited:
Yes, streaming was used even on old consoles, but there's a HUGE difference between 40MB streaming speed and lets say 5GB/s. Developers will be able to stream much more data now.

Just looks here what fast SDD can do beyond faster load times. There's a slide show on Nvidia card because it run out of VRAM, while radeon thanks to build in SDD run the same test without performance problems.

Lol, ssd as vram?!?! Not anytime soon. If SSD's can one day have the read/write of ram, as well as the speed, MAYBE. But wake me up when that happens, as ram is only getting faster and faster, and at a way faster rate than SSD's.

Compare next gen SSD's to current or last gen vram speeds of gpu's, think it through THOROUGHLY, and get back at me. Let me know your thoughts, without eating up all that PR MS and Sony have provided.

Last edited:
Top Bottom