• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omdia: PSVR2 to sell 3.6M in two years, 7% attach-rate of PS5. Quest headsets to hit 20M in 2022, controls 76% of VR sales. 90% of VR revenue is games

Ozriel

M$FT
I think it will sell these 3.5M on its first year, and 2M of them on launch month.

PSVR2 is cheaper than the full PSVR1 package was when released, and it's also cheaper than similar headsets. And I may be wrong but at launch or aprox. will have Horizon CoM, Resident Evil Village and RE4R plus more.

I doubt it’ll sell that much in the first month.

PSVR launched at a different time…now Quest’s mopped up a lot of VR buyers and there’s the issues with the economy at the moment.

They’d certainly stand a better chance at that if they made it compatible with PC.

I still stand by my prediction. Psvr2 will sell less than psvr1
It won't.

PSVR was restricted by PS4 hardware (could run bare minimum for VR) and lack of proper VR-controller.

Not saying PSVR2 will sell millions, but definitely more than PSVR.

Although, the world is falling apart, so who knows?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It should sell more than the first one. The first one was like the same price and it was the kiddy pool of VR. This thing kicks ass compared to what's out for under $1,000 right now. This has a better launch lineup, too.

Going to be interesting to see how it does. It has things in its favour and also negatives....let's see how much the public takes to it.

When people like Greg at kinda funny games is ragging on it and it's price etc its a huge cause for concern. I personally think its dead on arrival.

It will have what looks like a strong launch when the people that care rush out to get it and then I think it's going to fall off a cliff.

yurinka

PSVR launched at a different time…now Quest’s mopped up a lot of VR buyers and there’s the issues with the economy at the moment.
Yes, there are more people fucked up with finantials now but the economy isn't negatively affecting gaming, and particularly console hardware sales. In fact Sony's hardware sales would be way higher if they would had more chips available.

Some people maybe now can't afford it but others are buying the stuff, both in consoles and in VR. The VR market is way bigger than when PSVR1 was released, now in addition to new VR users (remember that every year the gaming market grows, so there are now more users than in 2016), including those who will jump because they fixed or improved with PSVR2 some of the issues that kept them away from VR, there will be a pool of existing VR users from previous headsets like PSVR1 who will want to jump to a next gen device like PSVR2.

On top of that the pricing of PSVR2 is cheaper than the similar ones and the PSVR1 full kit had when released, and seems that PS5 soon will be selling faster than PS4 did again, meaning that there will be a bigger PS5 userbase to convert to VR so even if the attach rate of PS users who get VR is the same, sales would be bigger. I think it's fair to think PSVR2 will sell better than PSVR1 because basically everything points in that direction.

Devs now also know what sales can they expect from their VR games so they have a better idea of the amount of budget they can spent on them and what type of VR games player expect, plus they are now more experienced developing for VR. Which I assume will mean a better and more adapted support from the devs side, resulting on players being happier in the long term with the catalog, even if it would have been better to start with full BC to get the entire PSVR1 catalog available day one.

They’d certainly stand a better chance at that if they made it compatible with PC.
Yes. I think to make it compatible with PC and also to up port/remaster a fair amount of the main PSVR1 titles would help.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
VR should be social secondary (and maybe not markedet as anything but..) - it is however a missed opportunity not to make us of the sosial potential of the platform, as it would drive interaction and thereby sales of software.

reinking

Gold Member
People are already trying to forget that PSVR and PSVR2 require a PS4 (not included, $400) and PS5 (not included, at least $400), respectively too.

141wc5b.jpg
Are they saying controllers are not in the box? Or is there a different controller I need to order? I am confused.

FrankWza

Are they saying controllers are not in the box? Or is there a different controller I need to order? I am confused.
They are included with these initial sets. It’s possible I guess that they sell it without them later though since some games will require a Dualsense instead

reinking

Gold Member
They are included with these initial sets. It’s possible I guess that they sell it without them later though since some games will require a Dualsense instead
I was confused since GameSpot listed them as a requirement like it was an extra charge. Not sure why people are trying to break it out like it is more expensive than it is. It is already an expensive unit. I do understand why some are trying to spin by including the PS5 price but Sony is pushing this toward their fans that already have, or will have, a PS5 anyway.

Last edited:

Crayon

Going to be interesting to see how it does. It has things in its favour and also negatives....let's see how much the public takes to it.

When people like Greg at kinda funny games is ragging on it and it's price etc its a huge cause for concern. I personally think its dead on arrival.

It will have what looks like a strong launch when the people that care rush out to get it and then I think it's going to fall off a cliff.

It can both outsell the first one (even by a lot) and still have people call it a failure. The first one was one of the best selling sets and it's supposed to be a huge failure.

FrankWza

I was confused since GameSpot listed them as a requirement like it was an extra charge. Not sure why people are trying to break it out like it is more expensive than it is. It is already an expensive unit. I do understand why some are trying to spin by including the PS5 price but Sony is pushing this toward their fans that already have, or will have, a PS5 anyway.
Well I think we can guess on that. There’s a lot of that going around lately.
As far as the separation of the controllers, it could be because VR1 shipped in pieces and because some games on both units require or can be used with either DS4 or Dualsense.

Crayon

Well I think we can guess on that. There’s a lot of that going around lately.
As far as the separation of the controllers, it could be because VR1 shipped in pieces and because some games on both units require or can be used with either DS4 or Dualsense.

Thinking back in that, having move controllers be optional seemed like a good plan at the start. It turned out that most of the greatest vr games really take advantage of hand tracking. I was anticipating a more even split with controller games.

If Psvr1 had it's own controllers that were bundled 1:1 that would have been a lot more expensive. There were at least a good chunk of people who already had the ps4 camera and could use just the headset out of the box.

SLB1904

Banned
Thinking back in that, having move controllers be optional seemed like a good plan at the start. It turned out that most of the greatest vr games really take advantage of hand tracking. I was anticipating a more even split with controller games.

If Psvr1 had it's own controllers that were bundled 1:1 that would have been a lot more expensive. There were at least a good chunk of people who already had the ps4 camera and could use just the headset out of the box.
psvr1 not having its own it what made that thing a little shit. loads of devs skip psvr1 because of that

FrankWza

psvr1 not having its own it what made that thing a little shit. loads of devs skip psvr1 because of that
Everything about it pointed to it failing. It was very successful. I know people will point to attach rate but that’s a bogus way to look at a $300+ add on. If Logitech could sell 5 million plus wheels during a generation on one console they would be extremely happy. Plus, PlayStation was able to sell software with it as well.

Crayon

It would have been way better with it's own controllers and a pair of cheap cameras just to spread out the binocular distance. Huge compromise for lower price and in the end, you needed to buy the moves anyhow or miss tons of stuff.

The new one will be so much better.

FrankWza

It would have been way better with it's own controllers and a pair of cheap cameras just to spread out the binocular distance. Huge compromise for lower price and in the end, you needed to buy the moves anyhow or miss tons of stuff.

The new one will be so much better.
The way I look at it is, more people who didn’t have a PSVR1 will get PSVR2 than people who won’t upgrade to 2 after owning PSVR1

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
In fact, Apples headset could turn everything upside down by itself if they execute it right.
Would it though?
In all likelihood Apple headset will be another standalone, but locked to their ecosystem entirely - so no PCVR or anything else (assuming it will even have the option to connect to an external computer... or a tablet... at all).
So another mobile chipset to compete with Quest native, but without any of the other things Quest can also do. But more than likely also AR focused above all, so the marketing will distance itself from VR at all costs.

I do think pcvr users largely go for price and convenience
The fact that PSVR shows up as 1/10th of a % is telling me these Steam numbers are really very low at the end of the day.

BreakOut

If Apple makes a headset, there is no way that Sony will not start making mobile games that use it. That relationship is pretty comfy over there. Considering Sony is opening up a true mobile team it seems like a pretty logical thing.

Rivet

Price is too high to sell more than a few millions. The problem is it NEEDS to sell a lot to make the big budget games profitable, and big budget games are supposed to be the main upside of that headset. Something doesn't compute here. They should have waited to make it more affordable before releasing it.

Last edited:
Price is too high to sell more than a few millions. The problem is it NEEDS to sell a lot to make the big budget games profitable, and big budget games are supposed to be the main upside of that headset. Something doesn't compute here. They should have waited to make it more affordable before releasing it.

Many big budget games can have VR modes (see: RE8), where the cost is shared between the base version and VR version.

If VR can't be shared, and must be exclusive, then you don't need to craft a 30-40 hour open world production like with a normal AAA game. So dev costs can be much lower while still retaining high production quality graphics (See: Horizon: CoM)

Crayon

Many big budget games can have VR modes (see: RE8), where the cost is shared between the base version and VR version.

If VR can't be shared, and must be exclusive, then you don't need to craft a 30-40 hour open world production like with a normal AAA game. So dev costs can be much lower while still retaining high production quality graphics (See: Horizon: CoM)

More VR modes for regular games is going to be a big factor. They hinted at that I think once a year ago and I hope they hold to it. Most of my favorite VR games are fully compatible or ported flat games. It works and it's the way to get a library of graphically impressive games that psvr 2 can provide to differentiate itself. You can have all this great hardware but if you're playing fruit ninja it doesn't mean much.

CuNi

More VR modes for regular games is going to be a big factor. They hinted at that I think once a year ago and I hope they hold to it. Most of my favorite VR games are fully compatible or ported flat games. It works and it's the way to get a library of graphically impressive games that psvr 2 can provide to differentiate itself. You can have all this great hardware but if you're playing fruit ninja it doesn't mean much.

VR won't be boosted much in popularity when VR additions will be segmented between devices.
You have the Quest exclusives, you have the PSVR exclusives and if things continue I could see Xbox/Microsoft to offer exclusive VR modes too, whenever they decide to join the VR trend.
We already have RE4 VR being Quest exclusive, we have games like RE7 and Ace Combat 7 having PSVR exclusive content and I can see this segmentation get worse, which in the end will lower actual interest in those products because nobody but the die hard fans will buy more than 1 headset to play all the games.

Crayon

VR won't be boosted much in popularity when VR additions will be segmented between devices.
You have the Quest exclusives, you have the PSVR exclusives and if things continue I could see Xbox/Microsoft to offer exclusive VR modes too, whenever they decide to join the VR trend.
We already have RE4 VR being Quest exclusive, we have games like RE7 and Ace Combat 7 having PSVR exclusive content and I can see this segmentation get worse, which in the end will lower actual interest in those products because nobody but the die hard fans will buy more than 1 headset to play all the games.

We'd all be better off if three was less of that. It's a bit of chicken and egg where the more high profile games existence leans on Incentive for platform holders. That's just another downside of current VR, though. The walls are falling and eventually that one will too, tho it may be one of the last and will drag out the speed of adoption. Rn the main factor is cost. That's getting better though. The psvr looks advanced enough to last several years and it's almost half the price of an index.

Shit, that rift s was a pretty good deal...

TLZ

Banned
It definitely is the future but currently it's niche because of the size and weight of the headsets. Once they hit 'bulky sunglasses' level at a $500 price point then it is going to be huge.
Something like this

Hopefully this doesn't take long for VR.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You also have to remember that there's the inflation. $560 today is cheaper than $560 in 2016. And some PSVR1 games needed 2 move controllers.
We also have to remember that wages haven't kept up with inflation so a lot of people have less purchasing power than they did in 2016, even if they make more money. I'm curious to see how Quest does this holiday season after their price hike this year. I'm sure PSVR2 will sell out when it releases. I think VR adoption in general will slow just because of the economy, so I'll be surprised if PSVR2 can hit 7% attach. It will be cool if it can.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I think it will sell these 3.5M on its first year, and 2M of them on launch month.

PSVR2 is cheaper than the full PSVR1 package was when released, and it's also cheaper than similar headsets. And I may be wrong but at launch or aprox. will have Horizon CoM, Resident Evil Village and RE4R plus more.
It also requires a console that is still not in stock at almost all retailers. So nope, it won’t see even close to that.

Yep. Seems very likely.
Sony expects third parties to shoulder the burden of developing fully featured games and not just tech demos and experiences. Not helping that Sony is also closing their VR studios. This new VR headset is dead on arrival. Sure the diehard loyalists will buy it in the beginning. After that sales will dry up.

SLB1904

Banned
Sony expects third parties to shoulder the burden of developing fully featured games and not just tech demos and experiences. Not helping that Sony is also closing their VR studios. This new VR headset is dead on arrival. Sure the diehard loyalists will buy it in the beginning. After that sales will dry up.
The irony in this post coming from you is hilarious

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm sure it will sell well once folks figure out how to use it on PC.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

XXL

Sony has multiple (at least 2) in-house games coming out during the launch window.

Which is more than other systems had all fucking year.

Last edited:
not going to happen.
When psvr was new , quest wasn't around.
Also this was new to the "masses" then as only the super rich got to experience vr. with $1k plus entry point for valve index plus pc so at least $2k starting point.
PSVR was the first real vr (not counting phone vr as that isn't the same) to sell to the masses.
They tried it. Its done. This isn't going to attract all of them, as many have moved on.

Anecdotal, but for myself, I have a quest 2, a gaming pc. I played my beat sabers, doom3, half life 1, quake vr, nolf, return to castle wolfenstien, Re4, saints and sinners, racket nx and steam games like HL alyx , asgards wrath, alien isolation and no mans sky.

It was fun, especially racket nx and beat sabers with friends, but damn I don't think i have used it in over a year.
Last time was with RE4, and I would get motion sick.
After that I haven't gone back.
How many other people has this happened to, where they loose interest.

It doesn't help that so many other games feel like they are tech demos, yet have the price of full games.
At least it isn't like mobile where its full of mtx and shit.

So no I don't think PSVr2 will sell much. For starters you need a ps5. Good luck getting one. They are still out of stock 2 years going.
Too expensive. Gas is $4.15 /gallon and I live in a more affordable state. Everything is expensive. The cost for this is too high, and people aren't going to pay it.

I really wish they would of used that money and made a single player rpg studio to rival Bethesda and obsidian. Or maybe a new handheld, although that ship i think has sailed.

Well, it will surely not reach this number if you can't buy it.
Still waiting a fucking invite to have a "chance" to pre-order it.
My digital library is literally exploding from PSVR games and I haven't been "selected " while some who never touched VR have received their invite. I guess I'm not the target and they want new customers.

Frustration is not enough powerful word to describe my feelings about this fiasco invite system from Sony. I politely INVITE you to go fuck yourself Sony for this 🤘

Mad Rainn Wilson GIF by T-Mobile

*replace the chair by a PS5

/partial off topic rant
LOL.... That is how i felt when I was trying to get a ps5. As someone who had a ps1 since the start and psn account on the first weeks when ps3 launched, it was frustrating not getting one until last May. I saw people get them who didn't play much and was like wtf.. Eventually got the invite.

What really is crazy is that apparently that situation hasn't changed yet either.
I don't expect it to change for psvr2 either.

Try requesting the invite agian, its what i did as i missed the first one.

PSVR2 doesn't need "early VR hype" when the entire VR space is much bigger, and therefore there's more interest in general, than back in 2016.

No there isn't and this is a delusion I've seen repeated by others in this thread. Revenue is higher, possibly releases as well due to experience and more templates to help developers release games at various budgets or shovelware.

But in units VR is smaller, and more concentrated to a single player than before. Any recent report is comparing VR headsets excluding mobileVR, if you go back to reports where MobileVR was reported it's clear that VR in general is smaller now than in 2016 in units. Which explains the low projections for this year and otherwise in the report.

Samsung MobileVR and PSVR1 combined cover Quest 1 and Quest 2 sales, and some others. Add in the other mobile VR headsets, the other PCVR headsets of the time, and some of those niche stand alones and you end up with a bigger market.

Currently, there are less players in the market now, and most of the MobileVR part of the industry is extinct. Samsung may have held it up as it did on the tail end if they were still on it, but Oculus pulling out support to focus on their own stuff killed that.

There will be more players coming next year within the months around Sony's PSVR2 launch that many including yourself aren't considering, however there will still be less players, and as of now Quest takes up 76%, soon more after this holiday likely, of VR sales. The situation now is entirely different.

How many casuals are going to drop $1050 for PSVR 2 and a PS5? How many of the few who brought PS5's are going to spend $50 more than a PS5 for PSVR to play what exactly? The most popular VR games since this new generation VR 2.0 launch in 2015 are almost all on the Quest 2.

The price is not any higher than PSVR1 when it launched.

Except it is, because the money is worth less now, so you're actually paying with inflation more for the full headset.

Even if you ignore the economy it's still wrong because Move wasn't required to use it. But you can't ignore it because as inflation got worse over the last two years we are starting to see reports of changes and slower sales. This goes double internationally where the pain will be double on the wallet. Just for the PS5, not even including the PSVR 2 yet.

Overhyped is comical, but you're free to have your opinion.

It's not an opinion, you're just not using your head.

The niche fondness of Astrobot or even Half-Life Alyx is noted but completely irrelevant in terms of how many general buyers they attract and how many headsets they moved, which for neither was nothing significant. What ended up moving many PSVR's was Beat Saber, not Astrobot.

Yes, a good experience can sell VR headsets, but neither of these two games reached out to a wider audience and convinced them to buy in any significant number.

It should not come as a surprise that there will be MANY BC updates to titles, but they require more extensive patches to re-work everything for better performance and controls than what a straight BC port would allow. I don't see why you think this won't happen to the most popular titles. Sony didn't write off patches for titles, they wrote off 100% BC right off the bat.

You can't say (proof) that there will be "many" BC updates to titles, and then admit also that Sony write-off BC 100% off the bat.

FrankWza

All of this speculation will go out the window when they release 2-3 must have first party titles
You can't say (proof) that there will be "many" BC updates to titles, and then admit also that Sony write-off BC 100% off the bat.
they wrote off native BC support because the tech has evolved to the point where patching the PSVR1 games is the better path to take going forward.

Not sure if it was Bloomberg who said they'll have 2M units ready for the launch.

Which has nothing to do with how much they are expecting to sell. This is something else I've seen repeated in this thread and others.

Is everyone losing their memory and forgetting how PCVR's had large initial shipments to make the sales look impressive and it took them time to sell that stock?

We also have to remember that wages haven't kept up with inflation so a lot of people have less purchasing power than they did in 2016, even if they make more money. I'm curious to see how Quest does this holiday season after their price hike this year. I'm sure PSVR2 will sell out when it releases. I think VR adoption in general will slow just because of the economy, so I'll be surprised if PSVR2 can hit 7% attach. It will be cool if it can.

Quest 2 is going to have holiday deals in some places. It's also still cheaper than the alternatives.

But yes VR adoption will slow because of the economy, because it already has with MobileVR suddenly not existing in reports now. By excluding that it makes it seem like there's growth but there isn't.

I stand by my guess that Sony knew of the time frames the other headsets were coming out and that's why they were slightly about PSVR2 because they didn't want to show it off early because they knew they were going to launch earlier than expected to meet or beat some of the upcoming headsets. So waited when the release date got close for the big info dumps.

That would also explain why they are preparing a large shipment to sit at retailers and take shelf space. Otherwise, they would have waited until Sept-Nov next year and messed with the PSVR2 more until the could sell it at $499 or less. Maybe they could have included a wireless dongle in the process. But then that would mean given the competition a head start.

Not to mention Apple will be releasing something in that first two quarter of 2023 time frame.

All of this speculation will go out the window when they release 2-3 must have first party titles

they wrote off native BC support because the tech has evolved to the point where patching the PSVR1 games is the better path to take going forward.

They wrote off Native BC support because they didn't want to put the expense in for making PSVR2 compatible with PSVR1.

As for "speculation" 2-3 must have first party titles means nothing if they don't get the general audience to come over. PSVR2 could be launching with Horizon, Astrobot 2, and Alyx and it wouldn't make much difference. Those are good experience for some audiences and gamers, not what's needed to sell headsets.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Quest 2 is going to have holiday deals in some places. It's also still cheaper than the alternatives.

But yes VR adoption will slow because of the economy, because it already has with MobileVR suddenly not existing in reports now. By excluding that it makes it seem like there's growth but there isn't.
I got mine for $299 last year when the market was flooded with them. Made me wonder if most people who really wanted one didn't already buy one. Even with deals I would be surprised if they do as well as last year.

yurinka

Which has nothing to do with how much they are expecting to sell. This is something else I've seen repeated in this thread and others.
To ship 2M copies at launch means they expect to sell it in a few days or weeks.

Is everyone losing their memory and forgetting how PCVR's had large initial shipments to make the sales look impressive and it took them time to sell that stock?
Please can you share a legit Sony source mentioning these shipments?

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
As for "speculation" 2-3 must have first party titles means nothing if they don't get the general audience to come over. PSVR2 could be launching with Horizon, Astrobot 2, and Alyx and it wouldn't make much difference. Those are good experience for some audiences and gamers, not what's needed to sell headsets.

This doesn't make sense imo. Don't actual good games cause people to come over? If games like Horizon, Alyx, and Astrobot aren't good enough for the "general audience" then what in your opinion wins them?

I got mine for $299 last year when the market was flooded with them. Made me wonder if most people who really wanted one didn't already buy one. Even with deals I would be surprised if they do as well as last year.

It will probably still do good, but based on the projection in the research only 12.5 million VR headsets will sell this year it probably won't do as well as last year. Not to mention Oculus has other headsets on sale too.

To ship 2M copies at launch means they expect to sell it in a few days or weeks.

Not how VR shipments have worked yet since this new wave started 7 years ago. They are not selling 2 million units in a few days or weeks. Stop.

Please can you share a legit Sony source mentioning these shipments?

I didn't say anything about Sony, I said PCVR.

This doesn't make sense imo. Don't actual good games cause people to come over? If games like Horizon, Alyx, and Astrobot aren't good enough for the "general audience" then what in your opinion wins them?

Good games with broad appeal.

Do you think people are buying the Quest 2 in large number because there aren't some good games on the platform?

You are asking for my opinion asking the wrong questions because you aren't getting the problem, you need to be asking why Astrobot, or Alyx, or some other decent quality games didn't move as many headsets than the top 10 best selling VR games. It has nothing to do with my opinion those games objectively did not get people to come over and move a significant amount of headsets.

Wed have evidence already those didn't work, so now you need to figure out why the other games that helped the Quest 2 take off (and 1) worked where those didn't. When you find that out you have your answer for what Sony and other companies need to do.

yurinka

Not how VR shipments have worked yet since this new wave started 7 years ago. They are not selling 2 million units in a few days or weeks. Stop.
It is how hardware and physical game shipments (or well, any physical products) always worked. The manufacturer ships what aprox. retailers expect to sell in a few days/weeks, and if it's more than what they can produce, they ship what they have available. And a few weeks later once they sold most of it they make another shipment for the amount of units they expect to sell the next few days/weeks. And they repeat until there's not enough demand to ship more units.

To produce, ship and store in warehouses has costs, so they want their stock to be in warehouses and store shelves for the shortest amount of time possible, and instead to sell it as fast as possible to final customers to generate product and keep more free space in warehouses and store shelves as fast as possible to have more product to sell.

To think that for some magical reason a manufacturer or a retailer will want to have millions of units of a product sitting for years on a warehouse is a fictional story not based in reality. Obviously you can't provide any receipts to prove that this is the case because doesn't make sense, goes against how things work and obviously they never mentioned it.

If it's true that they will have 2M units ready to be shipped at launch means that they expect to sell 2M in a few weeks, period. And well, I'll stop whenever I want.

Last edited:
It is how hardware and physical game shipments (or well, any physical products) always worked.

Nonsensical generalization.

If it's true that they will have 2M units ready to be shipped at launch means that they expect to sell 2M in a few weeks, period.

Except that's not how this works, and not how VR has behaved since the start, you can dodge around that if you want but it changes nothing.

You have it the backwards….

No I don't. It's now harder for people to buy what they could and afford what they could 5 years ago today. The dollar is worth LESS. Inflation is outpacing wages, a 5% raise in 8% inflation is a -3%. Prices are rising regardless.

Top Bottom