• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oled and HDR. LG c1 or Samsung qn90a

Which tv

• C1

Votes: 110 83.3%
  • Qn90a

Votes: 22 16.7%

• Total voters

Mister Wolf

Nobody is going to argue that LCDs aren't brighter but whether your screen needs to be as bright as 2000 nits or whatever is entirely subjective. The, what, 800 nits that the LG CX can hit in a small window is enough that it would hurt to look at it continuously, I'm not sure that I need to have my eyes assaulted by anything much more than that. Higher contrast also increases the perception of brightness.

Yeah it just negates one of the main benefits of HDR, it's no big deal! Who even needs these dimming zones? I mean, if we're talking about HDR quality the massive gimping of local dimming on those displays in game mode is a major deal.

Contrast is one of the most important factors for HDR though... what are you talking about.

I will say though that contrast is relative to viewing conditions. People talk about OLEDs having infinite contrast but there is no real situation in which the screen isn't reflecting some amount of light... in a bright room an LCD will probably appear to have greater contrast because black levels under a certain point aren't visible. In those situations an LCD is probably better. But I think (subjectively) the best case in terms of HDR image quality is an OLED in a very dark room... whether or not that's practical or usual is up to the individual though

I've posted a video that shows them side by side on HDR scenes. There is nothing to debate. Its no comparison. I've owned both. No one is going to enlighten me about what both TVs bring to the table.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am biased as hell and have a 65" CX and 83" C1. They are both pretty stunning and all my family has no TV's like this.

I always play some HDR videos and just relax and show them the benefits of OLED. Not perfect but damn good.

Swift_Star

Banned
Nobody is going to argue that LCDs aren't brighter but whether your screen needs to be as bright as 2000 nits or whatever is entirely subjective. The, what, 800 nits that the LG CX can hit in a small window is enough that it would hurt to look at it continuously, I'm not sure that I need to have my eyes assaulted by anything much more than that. Higher contrast also increases the perception of brightness.

Yeah it just negates one of the main benefits of HDR, it's no big deal! Who even needs these dimming zones? I mean, if we're talking about HDR quality the massive gimping of local dimming on those displays in game mode is a major deal.

Contrast is one of the most important factors for HDR though... what are you talking about.

I will say though that contrast is relative to viewing conditions. People talk about OLEDs having infinite contrast but there is no real situation in which the screen isn't reflecting some amount of light... in a bright room an LCD will probably appear to have greater contrast because black levels under a certain point aren't visible. In those situations an LCD is probably better. But I think (subjectively) the best case in terms of HDR image quality is an OLED in a very dark room... whether or not that's practical or usual is up to the individual though
maybe know what you’re talking about?

Yamisan

I wouldnt pick a TV for the HDR capabilities.

HDR is meant to be viewed in a reference enviroment, aka dark room, because brightness is absolute and not relative like in SDR, and the more lit is your environment, the more you will need the mess with the hdr settings.

Like for example, setting the pure black to more than 0 nits in order to see shit in dark areas, hence losing a bit of the hdr purpose.

Add to that that in most games, HDR look actually worse than SDR, because color brightness might be all over the place, in comparison to the better crafted SDR.

Also, Samsung is known to have oversaturated colors to make the image pop more than it should.
This is the worst advice I've seen in a very long time. Not sure if you're serious and just have no idea what you're talking about or just trolling.

I've posted a video that shows them side by side on HDR scenes. There is nothing to debate. Its no comparison. I've owned both. No one is going to enlighten me about what both TVs bring to the table.
Okay, but what's the point? What display am I going to be viewing these side-by-side screens on? The magical display that has no limitations and accurately conveys objective reality? You're right, there is nothing to debate because there's no way to show this difference besides showing us, in person, what both screens look like.

I'm not even here to argue that OLEDs are 'better' than a good mini-LED LCD display. I'd obviously fall in favour of the former because of my personal viewing conditions and the incredible motion clarity, but I think there are genuine cases where the latter is better too. If what you have suits you and you're happy with it then that's fine! You don't have to make posts like this:

maybe know what you’re talking about?

in a desperate fanboy-ish attempt to defend your preferred brand of television. It's pathetic.

Rea

Good? Yeah

Mind blowing? Again in a basement with little to no extra light in the room they are pretty good

I am just as convinced most people who have OLEDs have never seen a set as nice as the QN90a
Optimally dark room is the best to consume HDR contents no matter what TV you have, you don't have to watch OLED in absolute dark room, abit of indirect lighting is still fine for most OLED. I myself own OLED in my living room with some indirect lightning, and i still think that my TV is bright enough, sometimes the HDR highlights are so bright that makes my eyes strained.
Personally i don't like Samsung's over brighten, over saturated image processing compared to Sony, LG, Panasonic. These have better accurate picture settings than Samsung.

I'm not shitting Samsung,
different stroke for different folks. But LCD can't compete with OLED in terms of picture quality.

S0ULZB0URNE

Feel free to add something of substance!
Anyone saying OLEDs are bad at HDR has never had an OLED.
I'm on there because I'm passionate about TV's. You? You just bought something and want to justify it. At any point in time, feel free to bring up counter points.

Also, here.

If I'm not mistaken the 55 inch models don't use exactly the same tech as the bigger in that models line.
C1 has great hdr. And motion/contrast.

Samsung LCD is trash

LG isn't known for its motion.
They have low nits and major ABL issues.

LG don't even make the best OLED tech, Samsung does and Sony uses Samsungs screens.

A Samsung and Sony QD-OLED are much more comparable to the high nit FALD/LED/LCD's.

If I'm not mistaken the 55 inch models don't use exactly the same tech as the bigger in that models line.

LG isn't known for its motion.
They have low nits and major ABL issues.

LG don't even make the best OLED tech, Samsung does and Sony uses Samsungs screens.

A Samsung and Sony QD-OLED are much more comparable to the high nit FALD/LED/LCD's.
The 65 inch has some more dimming zones. 768 vs 576 on the 55 inch. Other than that it is identical.

Lg c1 has the best OLED motion. Best 120hz bfi (which none, of the 2022 oleds, qd OLED or not, have) and the least amount of motion interpolation artifacts. Much less than Sony, which are better than Samsung. Samsung has the worst motion among the 3.

"LG isn't known for its motion" is not an argument.

It's not all about brightness, though obviously ideally you have 1000 nits or more. For sdr, even with bfi it's no problem for c1. For hdr without bfi, hdr is great on c1.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The 65 inch has some more dimming zones. 768 vs 576 on the 55 inch. Other than that it is identical.

Lg c1 has the best OLED motion. Best 120hz bfi (which none, of the 2022 oleds, qd OLED or not, have) and the least amount of motion interpolation artifacts. Much less than Sony, which are better than Samsung. Samsung has the worst motion among the 3.

"LG isn't known for its motion" is not an argument.

It's not all about brightness, though obviously ideally you have 1000 nits or more. For sdr, even with bfi it's no problem for c1. For hdr without bfi, hdr is great on c1.
BFI is artificial,adds input lag,darkens the screen and shouldn't be enabled for gaming.

Sony and Panasonic have the best motion and image processing.
Id take Samsungs image processing over LG's.

It's about brightness if you don't want to lose highlight details.
As far as blacks... LG's OLEDS blacks crush the most,offer posterization with near black scenes and floaty blacks.

LG's OLED tech is long in the tooth. I am curious if they cave in and buy into Samsungs QD-OLED tech.

Last edited:
BFI is artificial,adds input lag,darkens the screen and shouldn't be enabled for gaming.

Sony and Panasonic have the best motion and image processing.
Id take Samsungs image processing over LG's.

It's about brightness if you don't want to lose highlight details.
As far as blacks... LG's OLEDS blacks crush the most,offer posterization with near black scenes and floaty blacks.

LG's OLED tech is long in the tooth. I am curious if they cave in and buy into Samsungs QD-OLED tech.
It's artificial? What kind of argument is that? TV's are natural light now? It objectively makes motion smoother with no flicker at 120hz.

It adds input lag on OLED. Not fald Sony lcd. How much on OLED? 8ms. That is not a lot. My a8h had 26ma lag with bfi on. 21ms on c1. That was top tier lag back in 2018 with c8. Now with better motion 😁

And, you don't need the extra brightness for sdr when using bfi. However as a motion purist, I currently leave it on even in hdr.

What you'd take is irrelevant to how these motion interpolation implementations actually perform. I could have them all side by side and tell which is which if you covered the bezels.

Lg OLED has less near black flash than Sony woled. Now, am I saying c1 is perfect? No. It does have worse gradation, significantly, (to the point it bothers me) than Sony. And I never said qd OLED wasn't the superior display technology. I WISH the a95k didn't have the issues it did. It does not have 120hz bfi. It does have worse motion than c1 by that omission, as well as more interpolation artifacts. It has the same XR processing that I saw on a80j when I bought it.

Sony has gotten much worse than its X1 (x900e) /X1 extreme chip days.

Motion is of the utmost importance to me, and both qd OLED tv brands have major improvements to make.

Last edited:

chriskun

My C1 is so bright it hurts my fucking eyes in a darkroom sometimes. Bright areas and scenes come off as brighter due to the FUCKING amazing lack levels. Its honestly sort of annoying at times. I was just watching Peaky Blinders and the stark white title cards are fucking blinding, and subtitles are also way too fucking bright.

Swift_Star

Banned
Optimally dark room is the best to consume HDR contents no matter what TV you have, you don't have to watch OLED in absolute dark room, abit of indirect lighting is still fine for most OLED. I myself own OLED in my living room with some indirect lightning, and i still think that my TV is bright enough, sometimes the HDR highlights are so bright that makes my eyes strained.
Personally i don't like Samsung's over brighten, over saturated image processing compared to Sony, LG, Panasonic. These have better accurate picture settings than Samsung.

I'm not shitting Samsung,
different stroke for different folks. But LCD can't compete with OLED in terms of picture quality.
The people who do understand about this say they’re quite similar with both techs having pros and cons. Why should we believe you over them?

ParaSeoul

C1 won the poll.
excited leonardo dicaprio GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe oled skeptics are using hgig for movies?
It’s ok for movies in the night but generally movies work well with dtm.
Games that have hdr calibration shine with hgig

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
This is the worst advice I've seen in a very long time. Not sure if you're serious and just have no idea what you're talking about or just trolling.
Im far more informed than you will ever be. Thats what happens.

You dont have any way to prove false anything I said.

We could arge the importance of reference viewing, which I agree is little to none, but you should still see where I'm coming from there, which is mostly not perceiving the real nit value of the colors.
In a very lit environment, you can increase brightness, gamma, and backlight if it happens that you dont see anything in dark areas. In HDR, you cannot do that at TV level.

Last edited:

Rea

The people who do understand about this say they’re quite similar with both techs having pros and cons. Why should we believe you over them?
Did I say OLED is 100% perfect? Both has pros and cons but i was only talking about image quality and OLED is superior. Maybe OLED will lose when watching in Super bright room. But movies are not supposed to watch in super bright room anyway.

Imtjnotu

Gon with the Samsung if you like Grey ish blacks. Gon with the LG if you want pure black.

Don't let these LCD peasants distract you from oled God status

b0uncyfr0

I have a CX - honestly id go with the QN90A. Its HDR capabilities are vastly superior.

It comes down to you OP - if you live in a region of the world where you dont get constant sun every day - the C1 will suffice. Its HDR capabilites in a dark room mitigate its lack of nits.

But if you live in a sunny part of the world - you're better off with the QN90a. You'll need that brightness (Esp in SDR mode and HDR mode)

Last edited:
This is the most disingenuous disinformation on this topic around the internet.
This is BULLSHIT. You cannot capture this stuff like that. You need to change exposures and you are still capturing less range.
This is wrong on so many levels and it's probably samsung marketing in the hiding

I did an in store comparison and the pictures are screencaps from a YouTube reviewer who has both tv’s.

Vargavinter

I bought a qn95a, it had several large bright bars. Oddly it was only on certain colors like yellow. I got it repaired, had the same issue on the repaired panel. Got a replacement with the same issue, sent it back and got a refund. Got a C1 instead and it works very well, don't think I will go for a Samsung again.

Last edited:
I'm allergic to blooming and my C1 is plenty bright next on my list will be a QDOLED or some other future OLED tech but mini-LED does intrigue me

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm allergic to blooming and my C1 is plenty bright next on my list will be a QDOLED or some other future OLED tech but mini-LED does intrigue me
I look forward to what mini and even micro led can possibly achieve

While the QN90a isn't perfect like OLED I am still very impressed with it and Apple has shown what can be done with mini leds like on my Ipad Pro

There are something like 10,000 mini leds with like 2600 dimming zones on a 12" Ipad and watching content on this thing is fantastic

Batiman

Banned
How often do you guys upgrade your TVs?

I’m so pissed and never buying Samsung again. I said that 3 times and always end up with one again….. The quality is fucking garbage and something always craps out on me. Now my TV which I think is 2-3 years old is starting to crap. A small barely noticeable fade about the size of my dick is in the bottom mid of my screen. You wouldn’t notice unless I pointed it out but it’s been driving me insane because I know it’s there. I cannot stop looking at the thing. Fuck Samsung. Never again

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I’m so pissed and never buying Samsung again. I said that 3 times and always end up with one again….. The quality is fucking garbage and something always craps out on me. Now my TV which I think is 2-3 years old is starting to crap. A small barely noticeable fade about the size of my dick is in the bottom mid of my screen. You wouldn’t notice unless I pointed it out but it’s been driving me insane because I know it’s there. I cannot stop looking at the thing. Fuck Samsung. Never again
Every 3-4 years if the tech upgrade is enough and always donate my old TV

Thabass

I got a C1 recently.

I won't be going back to Samsung for a while since my last one had issues immediately when I bought it.

Last edited:

Every 2-3 years after previous panel failures.... I've had panel failures from LG, Sony and Samsung, LG replaced my panel outside of the warranty for free & Sony gave me a TV replacement (for my XBR-8) outside of warranty while Samsung did jack poop for me lol. I tend to buy extended warranties for 3 years then move on.

Arioco

I have a CX - honestly id go with the QN90A. Its HDR capabilities are vastly superior.

It comes down to you OP - if you live in a region of the world where you dont get constant sun every day - the C1 will suffice. Its HDR capabilites in a dark room mitigate its lack of nits.

But if you live in a sunny part of the world - you're better off with the QN90a. You'll need that brightness (Esp in SDR mode and HDR mode)

I have both TVs and I disagree. On many occasions the CX ends up being the brighter TV in the exact same scene. I talking about dark scenes with a few bright highlights here and there, the QN90/95 has to choose between keeping the black color black (and thus dim those highlights) and making the highlights super extra bright, but then the black color isn't really black. It generally chooses the first option, so the OLED is actually brighter in that case. This is clearly visible in Resident Evil 2 or 3 Remake. And to top it all there's the issue I mention when the highlights become a blur and its brightness decreases dramatically every single time you turn the camera. OLED and its per pixel precision are unbeatable here. I can't believe I dint see anyone mention this issue on the Samsung, it's very very noticeable and kind of ruins the experience if you use it for gaming, but every review I read says the Samsung is an amazing TV for gaming which is weird.

But for movies or YouTube the Samsung looks amazing and is much, much brighter than the OLED. A 100% white screen on the Samsung will make you squint, the difference is huge, in that scenario the OLED can't compete.

Unfortunately I purchased the Samsung for gaming, and since I have tried all setting and still I can't make it look the way I'd like I'm returning it and getting a C1 instead. I've used my CX for gaming before and it looks fantastic, so maybe the C1 is a better choice for me. If only I could make the Samsung look as good as it looks when I watch a movie or YouTube... it would be almost a perfect TV: amazingly bright, deep Oled like blacks and no burn in risk at all. Unfortunately, as I said, it doesn't look that way when I'm playing a game. A local dimming issue in gane mode? Maybe. But the funny thing is that it looks similar if I try gaming outside game mode too, so I can't even imagine what the problem might be, but it's there.

HTK

Banned
I got a LG CX OLED no issues it’s been pretty amazing, has all the features I need for the duration of the PS5 generation. So no upgrade there anytime soon, however for my PC I’m keeping my eye on these new upcoming TVs with 144hz etc..

Do you watch TV outside? Look into these things called curtains bro (but seriously, blackout curtains make a world of difference)

Reactions: Rea
I am a Samsung fanboi, and I went with a LG c1 last year. It's a stunning television. The only time I ever have an issue with it is in Street Fighter V, you can just tell that the CA doesn't get as bright.

At night, the television sears my eyes.

It's a small compromise, but you get incredible picture quality.

I think either way you won't regret which television you go with.

This is the exact reason people will say not to run dead pixel tests (in general, not saying that you did), if you don't notice it when watching regular content who cares.... But once you see it, it can't be undone and will always bug you lol

Batiman

Banned
This is the exact reason people will say not to run dead pixel tests (in general, not saying that you did), if you don't notice it when watching regular content who cares.... But once you see it, it can't be undone and will always bug you lol
It’s legit eating me alive lol. I’m at work
today and it’s always on my mind. It’s ridiculous the things I stress about

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only issue with oled is 24fps stutter. But it's not tv doing anything bad. It's just tv exposing badly filmed panning.. if they used different shutter speed, it would look better.
But it is possible to use trumotion/dejudder a bit to smooth it out. Sadly not on pc which is a bit annoying

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Do you watch TV outside? Look into these things called curtains bro (but seriously, blackout curtains make a world of difference)
I know, i have them. But by your logic - i should watch my TV and close my curtains every time. Does that really sound feasible to you?

I know, i have them. But by your logic - i should watch my TV and close my curtains every time. Does that really sound feasible to you?
Yes? Lol it's not some difficult task, if you're going to sit down and dedicate yourself to gaming for a while or watching a movie etc the room should be as dark as possible, regardless of how bright the TV is

Batiman

Banned
Fuck I’m in the market for a new TV and this thread has me questioning my decisions lol. I’m thinking OLED but the problem is my living room gets so much brightness during the day. Sort of makes me wait till the suns down to even start gaming lol. I hate seeing glare and dust while I’m trying to relax. I dont want to say I have OCD but this is one of stupid shit that really gets to me.

I’ve been trying to convince the wife we need blackout curtains. She always reply’s “ you want to live in darkness all day?” . Deep inside I do……..lol
It’s actually good because it makes me do more stuff anyways like read a book outside etc. Prevents me from getting stuck to the screen all day. Movies and games have become a night time thing only for me and it’s probably for the better

Last edited:

Beechos

85" qn90a has been $1950 at samsung for the past couple of weeks for those who have epp if size/price matters, pretty sure you wont find a 85" c1 for anything close to that. I picked one up myself, specs/size for that price couldnt be beat. If the room you will have this tv in is bright and you play in the day the higher brightness of the qn90a will prob be better. If youre in a dark room then the oled. Cant go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom