• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oled and HDR. LG c1 or Samsung qn90a

Which tv

• C1

Votes: 110 83.3%
  • Qn90a

Votes: 22 16.7%

• Total voters
I’ll make this simple. You either get crushed blacks on the LG because of the automatic brightness limiter or you get a slight boom on dark scenes with the qn90a because it uses backlighting. You can overcome each problem to some degree but not totally, by fiddling with the settings.

Here is why I went with the qn90a. I watch stuff with color more often that I watch stuff that’s super dark and while the oh does nearly black (like space) scenes better, it also crushes color and shadows in many other scenes. Here are some photos that might help.

TY7YNva.jpg

Catphish

I have a QN85A that I am very pleased with. I assume the QN90A wouldn't be too much different.

The only negative is that you don't want it in a room with a lot of glare, which I do not.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It seems some folks misunderstood what is true HDR.
Good HDR contents on premium OLEDs are mind blowing. SDR look like ass, once you've seen true HDR on premium OLEDs.
Good? Yeah

Mind blowing? Again in a basement with little to no extra light in the room they are pretty good

I am just as convinced most people who have OLEDs have never seen a set as nice as the QN90a

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ll make this simple. You either get crushed blacks on the LG because of the automatic brightness limiter or you get a slight boom on dark scenes with the qn90a because it uses backlighting. You can overcome each problem to some degree but not totally, by fiddling with the settings.

Here is why I went with the qn90a. I watch stuff with color more often that I watch stuff that’s super dark and while the oh does nearly black (like space) scenes better, it also crushes color and shadows in many other scenes. Here are some photos that might help.

TY7YNva.jpg
This is the most disingenuous disinformation on this topic around the internet.
This is BULLSHIT. You cannot capture this stuff like that. You need to change exposures and you are still capturing less range.
This is wrong on so many levels and it's probably samsung marketing in the hiding

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is BULLSHIT. You cannot capture this stuff like that. You need to change exposures and you are still capturing less range.
This is wrong on so many levels and it's probably samsung marketing in the hiding
Some pics to prove my point.
C1 is NOT washed out or anything like that. Look at this fucking thing (sorry, icloud destroys compression and photos quality is weird when photographing a tv)

KnuqSui.jpg

EEYuHLE.jpg

HeK8aXt.jpg

osjuLwt.jpg

EFdvrEl.jpg

yDI4fRX.jpg

S8D8rTV.jpg

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
if i spray paint a piece of shit golden with marketing it's still a piece of shit

Besides the backlighting technique, Neo QLED panels are still LCDs with quantum-dot technology.27 apr. 2022

jurassic park deal with it GIF
I mean mini LEDs is what that TV is all about thus making not near the same old tech

Again people are just going to prefer what they want and in a darker setting the OLED can not be beat

I however tend to leave my TV on a lot and throughout the day in a very brightly lit room the OLED doesn't stand a chance

It really comes down to what the OP needs and what its intended use is

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I mean mini LEDs is what that TV is all about thus making not near the same old tech

Again people are just going to prefer what they want and in a darker setting the OLED can not be beat

I however tend to leave my TV on a lot and throughout the day in a very brightly lit room the OLED doesn't stand a chance

Listen when microled is a thing in sub 75 inch sizes then i will ditch my oled.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Same I wanted to change Tv about a year ago and most of the time the best TV is more dependant on use than just picture quality(I mean amongst good TVs).
I use my TV as a PC screen so Oled was not an option I think it is on about 20 hours per day (fucking insomnia) lot of static elements.
So for a gamer features (VRR ALLMetc...), delay and pic quality are the most important if you use it only for gaming the rest like bfi, upscaling etc are more useful for media consumption.

ryzen1

I've had the same concerns as you. I needed a bigger replacement for my Sony XH90.
Did a lot of research. And found the same issues like OLEDs cant get bright enough and so on.
Best solution was to see the TVs for myself and went to my local electronics store.

I saw the LG G1. Was stunned by its image quality and contrast. Compared it to the others...and finally bought it.
The brightness is totally fine. At night it still can blend me. I have no idea why there are comments these TVs don't get bright enough.
To be fair. I have a slightly darker living room, so it might look different in a more lit up room.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

LOL, he's actually not wrong, I have a C1 and my biggest complaint is the brightness and the lack of shadow detail or blacks that are too dark. Like he said, you can play with it but it's not perfect. Of course neither is any other tech. I think your getting a little too personally insulted, it's a TV.
Your pics are as meaningless in a way as his, do they looks like an OLED on my 43" led monitor I am viewing this on? I can take a pics of the Sony X85J I have here too and if it's a mid or brighter scene it looks very close or brighter than the C1. Of course the C1 does better in dark scenes, even with it's flaws.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
LOL, he's actually not wrong, I have a C1 and my biggest complaint is the brightness and the lack of shadow detail or blacks that are too dark. Like he said, you can play with it but it's not perfect. Of course neither is any other tech. I think your getting a little too personally insulted, it's a TV.
Your pics are as meaningless in a way as his, do they looks like an OLED on my 43" led monitor I am viewing this on? I can take a pics of the Sony X85J I have here too and if it's a mid or brighter scene it looks very close or brighter than the C1. Of course the C1 does better in dark scenes, even with it's flaws.
yeah you are right that my pics are pointless. It's impossible to capture how it looks.
But the comparison at the top of the page would look other way around if exposure was matching c1. Then samsung would be blown out.
Your complaint about brightness and shadow detail just indicates you are playing with blinds open.
I don't notice any shadow detail loss really. It all reappears if you view at night.

Edit: Even if you find the issues you are explaining real, I would still take these sooner than terrible lcd and it's many many problems from pixel response times, backlight, uniformity, glow, gamma shift and black levels

Last edited:

recursive

Its an argument that really has no winners as I love my C9 and tested a C1 in my house for quite sometime

But my QN90a just pops and FOR ME perfect blacks are great on an OLED but in a near perfect setting which I don't have
Yea not trying to argue. At the end of the day it is your personal experience that matters most. The brightness level is a key component to the overall image but the dynamic range is important too among other things. I have a cx and a q90t and enjoy them both.

S0ULZB0URNE

if i spray paint a piece of shit golden with marketing it's still a piece of shit

Besides the backlighting technique, Neo QLED panels are still LCDs with quantum-dot technology.27 apr. 2022

jurassic park deal with it GIF
LG been using the same piece of shit for it's WOLED.

Tomcat

Good? Yeah

Mind blowing? Again in a basement with little to no extra light in the room they are pretty good

I am just as convinced most people who have OLEDs have never seen a set as nice as the QN90a
i think thats true. I have a qn95a and hdr content is amazing on it. Blacks are as good as oled ones. As for oled fans they better go outside and check how things look in the sun. Then go back to your oled and compare. Unless you live in a basement or a closed room oleds are dim. Numbers dont lie.

iHaunter

Neither imho. If you were to choose between one, LG is far superior, and in gaming mode, has far better latency.

Sony's new QD-OLED is by far the best TV coming to the market. It's not even close. Best color accuracy of any commercial TV, the A95K.

Swift_Star

Banned
Neither imho. If you were to choose between one, LG is far superior, and in gaming mode, has far better latency.

Sony's new QD-OLED is by far the best TV coming to the market. It's not even close. Best color accuracy of any commercial TV, the A95K.
The latency is actually lower on QN90A on most modes. With some modes slightly better in lg C1. So no, it does not have a “far better latency” and it’s not “far superior”.

Sometimes I wonder if you people actually do research or just fall for marketing buzzwords.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Most HDR content is graded for 1000 Nits. If your TV cannot hit 1000 Nits then it is not displaying the colors properly. Simple as that. Any HDR content that's displaying bright colors on these two TVs side by side will tell the tale. Its no comparison and there are several videos on YouTube showcasing this. The QN90A is almost achieving 2000 nits.

Last edited:
Already did previously on the thread.
Saying “Samsung LCDs are trash” is not substantial so follow your own advice.
They're trash. They try to have deeper blacks at the expense of black crush. Dimmer than Sony lcd whilst having over bright tone mapping for hdr at the same time.

Choppy, artifact ridden motion. No 120hz bfi, for 60hz/24hz content at least.

Local dimming barely works in game mode.

The casual user may not care but, Samsung LCD is a poor option. The only worse option are the Chinese brand, and lg ips LCD.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
They're trash. They try to have deeper blacks at the expense of black crush. Dimmer than Sony lcd whilst having over bright tone mapping for hdr at the same time.

Choppy, artifact ridden motion. No 120hz bfi, for 60hz/24hz content at least.

Local dimming barely works in game mode.
Have you actually used one to spew so much misinformation?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nah. Movies don’t stutter on QN90A, nor does TV shows.
It’s said they stutter on OLED, though.
But that’s not the point, the point is that there’s no perfect tv and OP should do some research instead of listening to hyperbole and then make a decision.
Either way, he’ll be well served because both TVs are excellent.
This is only halfway correct, but VERY misleading. Unless the OP chooses to watch movies in Game mode (which disables Cinematic Movement and motion interpolation in general) the C1 is more than up to the task of content consumption. The Cinematic Movement setting will make movies look fine. I guarantee that watching movies on the QN90A in game mode, will have nasty stutter. I do wish, TV developers would find a better method than sample and hold for these displays.
I've had two. They are bad at HDR. Numbers don't lie. They don't hit the proper amount of NITS and contrast has zero to do with anything.
Except it has everything to do with it. There is a reason why in blind studies that OLED is often chosen as the brightest TV, eventhough objectively that is not true. The perfect contrast makes it seem brighter and is often given perceived extra brightness.

Arioco

I got my Samsung QN95A (which is basically a QN90A with the One Connect box and 4 HDMI 2.1 ports) the day before yesterday and I returning it.

The problem is that when I play a game in HDR every highlight becomes a blur every time I turn the camera. It's very difficult to explain and even more difficult to catch on camera, but basically lights and other high-brightness highlights grow in size but its brightness decreases dramatically when the camera is moving, becoming blurry as hell. I haven't seen anything like it in my whole life. On my CX the same scene looks amazing and the highlights are razor sharp.

The funny thing is that if I watch a video in HDR of the same game on YouTube it looks fine, I haven't seen those artifacts, everything looks as it should.

By the way, this is how that ligh looks like when the camera is still.

9PnqsNU.jpeg

Swift_Star

Banned
I got my Samsung QN95A (which is basically a QN90A with the One Connect box and 4 HDMI 2.1 ports) the day before yesterday and I returning it.

The problem is that when I play a game in HDR every highlight becomes a blur every time I turn the camera. It's very difficult to explain and even more difficult to catch on camera, but basically lights and other high-brightness highlights grow in size but its brightness decreases dramatically when the camera is moving, becoming blurry as hell. I haven't seen anything like it in my whole life. On my CX the same scene looks amazing and the highlights are razor sharp.

The funny thing is that if I watch a video in HDR of the same game on YouTube it looks fine, I haven't seen those artifacts, everything looks as it should.

By the way, this is how that ligh looks like when the camera is still.

9PnqsNU.jpeg

That’s blooming from the FA local dimming, it’s a side effect from the technology. The problem arises on gaming mode because the LD needs processing and that processing in game mode is focused on lowering the input lag. OLED doesn’t have this because every pixel is self lit.
It’s not a deal breaker for me and it suits my needs more than OLED.

Arioco

That’s blooming from the FA local dimming, it’s a side effect from the technology. The problem arises on gaming mode because the LD needs processing and that processing in game mode is focused on lowering the input lag. OLED doesn’t have this because every pixel is self lit.

Nope, I know what blooming is and I can tell you that's not blooming. 😂 Besides, blooming doesn't cause the bright parts of the image to loose its brightness.

And by the way, it doesn't happen only in game mode. I thought of that possibility too and played the PS5 in standard mode (the same I use for YouTube, with the same settings), it still happens, no difference at all.

But still... even with the same setting it happens on PS5 but it doesn't happens on YouTube. Weird, isn't it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Prior to OLED I felt Local dimming was the best feature a TV could have. AFter I OLED, I find it to be an absolute abomination as I cannot unsee the awful haloing. I find it so awful I now just leave local dimming off on my monitor.

Arioco

Prior to OLED I felt Local dimming was the best feature a TV could have. AFter I OLED, I find it to be an absolute abomination as I cannot unsee the awful haloing. I find it so awful I now just leave local dimming off on my monitor.

If that's what Full Array Local Dimming does yes, you're right, the TV would be better off without it. My old TV was an edge lit Q7F and yes, it didn't have perfect blacks, but at least didn't make highlights change in shape and brightness every time I turn the camera. It looks hideous!

Swift_Star

Banned
Nope, I know what blooming is and I can tell you that's not blooming. 😂 Besides, blooming doesn't cause the bright parts of the image to loose its brightness.

And by the way, it doesn't happen only in game mode. I thought of that possibility too and played the PS5 in standard mode (the same I use for YouTube, with the same settings), it still happens, no difference at all.

But still... even with the same setting it happens on PS5 but it doesn't happens on YouTube. Weird, isn't it? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I know what you’re taking about, it happens here too and I was told it was the LD working for the blooming not to happen. As tô why it’s more perceptible in games? I really don’t know but it’s like that, yeah. But it’s pretty noticeable in movies when there’s a gun firing too. It doesn’t annoy me, though.
It doesn’t bother me as I said before and I’m pretty satisfied with the TV for now. But I do plan to get an OLED in a few years. The ABL is something that really annoys me though.
Like I said, there’s no perfect tv, unfortunately.

i think thats true. I have a qn95a and hdr content is amazing on it. Blacks are as good as oled ones. As for oled fans they better go outside and check how things look in the sun. Then go back to your oled and compare. Unless you live in a basement or a closed room oleds are dim. Numbers dont lie.

Nobody is going to argue that LCDs aren't brighter but whether your screen needs to be as bright as 2000 nits or whatever is entirely subjective. The, what, 800 nits that the LG CX can hit in a small window is enough that it would hurt to look at it continuously, I'm not sure that I need to have my eyes assaulted by anything much more than that. Higher contrast also increases the perception of brightness.

Yeah it just negates one of the main benefits of HDR, it's no big deal! Who even needs these dimming zones? I mean, if we're talking about HDR quality the massive gimping of local dimming on those displays in game mode is a major deal.

I've had two. They are bad at HDR. Numbers don't lie. They don't hit the proper amount of NITS and contrast has zero to do with anything.

Contrast is one of the most important factors for HDR though... what are you talking about.

I will say though that contrast is relative to viewing conditions. People talk about OLEDs having infinite contrast but there is no real situation in which the screen isn't reflecting some amount of light... in a bright room an LCD will probably appear to have greater contrast because black levels under a certain point aren't visible. In those situations an LCD is probably better. But I think (subjectively) the best case in terms of HDR image quality is an OLED in a very dark room... whether or not that's practical or usual is up to the individual though

Top Bottom