• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED 30 fps vs CRT 30 fps....stutter?

tygertrip

Most "3D Polygon" games back in the days of CRT were less than 30FPS. More like 20-30.
Most. But not all. There were a few 60 fps polygon games (well, 60 interlaced fields per seconds, still vastly superior to 30 hz). Include the arcade, and the number climbs considerably (and with true 60 FRAMES per second, at that).

Hoddi

Most. But not all. There were a few 60 fps polygon games (well, 60 interlaced fields per seconds, still vastly superior to 30 hz). Include the arcade, and the number climbs considerably (and with true 60 FRAMES per second, at that).
There were tons of 60fps games back then. There's a fairly common misconception that interlaced 60fps is only equal to 'true' 30fps but that's not really how it works on a CRT.

A 60fps game might only use half the fields per frame at 480i. But they were still individual frames because they weren't composited together for the final output. Most people just didn't notice the interlacing artifacts because they disappear so quickly on a CRT.

Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy are good examples of this. Both of them are unquestionably 60fps games despite running at 480i.

tygertrip

There were tons of 60fps games back then. There's a fairly common misconception that interlaced 60fps is only equal to 'true' 30fps but that's not really how it works on a CRT.

A 60fps game might only use half the fields per frame at 480i. But they were still individual frames because they weren't composited together for the final output. Most people just didn't notice the interlacing artifacts because they disappear so quickly on a CRT.

Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy are good examples of this. Both of them are unquestionably 60fps games despite running at 480i.
I agree completely.

Top Bottom