• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old gamers, have you ever lost a CD or cartridge ?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nope. As an only child I always took super good care of all of my action figures, game cartridges, etc.

Everything was mint condition, and had every insert that the games came with. Wish I’d known there would be a collectors market back then, because I would’ve never traded all of those old games and systems so soon. I even had all of the original hardware boxes.

Krathoon

I have not ever snapped a game in rage. I did have discs that would not read. I hate it when that happens.
If you dip them in boiling water, it will fix that. There is a residue on them that needs to be removed.

GymWolf

Holy shit, what a bastard 🤣
Not really, i left my bag on a tram while i was going to the airport and we were in such a rush to not lose the flight that i didn't even had the time to ask if they could stop the tram or just tell the driver to recover my bag.

The guy just found the bag and thought it was a gift from god or bob marley spirit...

It was an unfortunate series of event, nobody's fault.

Still, i hope the bitch had a bad trip with those muffins:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

A friend was talking all kinds of shit on Shenmue II. One day I lent out my copy of Shenmue II to him and never got it back. When I brought it up 7 years later about not receiving it back it turned out he became the biggest Shenmue fan. He literally knew every little detail about the videogame.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Anyone who never gave back a game or stole money from parents to buy a game ? 😆 Show yourselves, moda fuckers !

Majormaxxx

Lost a Rebel Assault CD and a Cyberia CD, dubbed in Russian. Since then I've rebought them physical AND on gog, but I still am annoyed that they are missing.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Tell us your dramatic experience 😘 (did a friend forget to give you back your Streets of Rage ? Did someone stole your Game Boy in your bag at school? Did you mom crushed your CDs by entering your room ?)

I never lost a game.
As a kid, each time i bought a game i removed the plastic bag (from the video game store) and put the game in an ugly one (lame super market), i tried to look relaxed and kept 2 meters security distance from anyone, especially groups of teenagers. (some friends with their shiny plastic bag from famous VG stores were bullied and stolen in the subway).

As a teenager, i asked comics fans or otakus friends to come with me when buying games. We were in Fist of the north star mode. 

EDIT: There a lot of victims in this thread. But what about bad boys gamers... 😁
Who ever stole or ever "forget" to give back games...

Here's your second chance ! Tell us what you did really dirty in your life and maybe the gods of gaming will forgive you 😆

Last month, i insulted an old lady who almost hit my motorcycle with her big ugly Toyota. I don't know if that count though 😜 (unfortunately i didn't screw anyone with video games ☝🏼)

Edit 2: Oh i remember. I never stole stuff but i did dirty on a scam video game shop:

PS2 debuts in Japan, i received for free a PS2 dvd rom educative crap.
Back in europe (ps2 wasn't released in europe yet, jp ps2 games were extremely expensive, ps2 was the future "77 millions polygons blabla" but the shop didn't know what was my CD, they thought it was a real game. They proposed me 50 bucks for that crap. I pretended to be disapointed, accepted the offer. They were about to test the fake game on the ps2, i was already outside with my money. I had my revenge on them 😎
Not lost by me but by the person I'd lent it to. When I was starting college about 14-years ago, I had this friend who I'd play games with over breaks. A lot of JRPGs for PS2/PS3 during that time and I'd just received Suikoden 3, 4 and 5 as gifts the previous Christmas the year prior. 3 & 4 I'd nearly finished but 5 was still in the shrinkwrap. This greasy 'friend' saw my PS2 collection back then and wanted to play 5 because 'it was the one that was un-played/un-opened.' This was in 2006/7 and after I brought the game over, she left it sitting on a table with like 20 other games which she'd bought but never played.

At that time in my life, I didn't value games the way I do now and left it there at her house. The last I'd visited her house was in 2008 and saw it sitting in the exact same place but didn't think to ask for it back. In 2009, there was an outdoor pool party at the same house and I asked about the game and it was no where to be found. I guess this is more my fault as there were many opportunities to have simply asked for it back. My thoughts are she sold it when buying her PS3 (which was still newer at that time). Off topic note but she had some fairly rare games as I recall playing Haunting Ground at her house back to back with Clocktower 3.

One time I 'lost' Yoshi's Island on SNES in the 90's. I was afraid of the dark growing up and used to have an SNES sitting in the middle of my floor in front of my bedroom TV. As a prank one night, my sister (knowing that my light bulb has burned out that same night) decided to slam my door shut while I was in my bed. I remember jumping up and running across the room in the dark and hitting something hard with my foot with a splitting sound. When the door was opened and looked back and saw my Yoshi's Island cart sitting decapitated in my SNES. In a way...it was lost =P

GymWolf

Anyone who never gave back a game or stole money from parents to buy a game ? 😆 Show yourselves, moda fuckers !
A friend of mine moved from my city and i had his copy of sega headhunter on ps2, it was nobody fault, he was rich and full of games, he probably didn't even noticed.

The game was kinda shit so i sold it for 20 mila lire.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Enough is enough, bitches !
If you never stole a game, ok.
At least, tell us something dirty about your life, give us some cookies. I'm tired of PC and you, fucking liars 😜:

I see what you did there...

I sold a free educative PS2 dvd rom to a scam video game shop (they didn't ask me if it was a game 😜, i just presented the box and said how much ?)

Your turn !

Last edited:

GymWolf

At least, tell us something dirty about your life, give us some cookies. I'm tired of PC and you, fucking liars 😜:

I sold a free educative PS2 dvd rom to a scam video game shop (they didn't ask me if it was a game 😜, i just presented the box and said how much ?)

Your turn !

I sold a sharp gx10i for 10 euros less than new to a clueless dude.

The guy is probably still hunting my ass to this day.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

A friend of mine moved from my city and i had his copy of sega headhunter on ps2, it was nobody fault, he was rich and full of games, he probably didn't even noticed.

The game was kinda shit so i sold it for 20 mila lire.
How vicious. I love it 😎

Majormaxxx

Your turn !

I have a few books that friends gave me and I never returned as we got busy and rarely see each other. But, alas, haven't stolen games.

Crayon

In college me and my roommate wanted to play Metroid prime so bad that we stole a GameCube from the store. But then that was so easy, we got another one while we where there.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

In college me and my roommate wanted to play Metroid prime so bad that we stole a GameCube from the store. But then that was so easy, we go another one while we where there.
Holy cow.Really bad bad boys. 😆

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Nope but I threw a lot of Amiga / SNES / MD games out that would have been worth a few quid / several hundred actually today.

I've also when I was a nice person lent people games and never got them back.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yea… I rented a sega cd one weekend and some some games. I don’t remember the games names but when it was time to return it, my brother said he would do it for me. So, 3 weeks later I get a bill in the mail for 1 game that wasn’t returned. It was an empty case they said. I asked my brother if he returned it and he said yes. I talked to them for a bit and just bit the bullet and paid for it. It was like a $100 al ost as I recall. Anyways, come spring I’m shoveling the driveway one day and I just happen to find shards of the disc in the exact place my brother parks. He clear wasn’t paying attention and it must have fallen out somehow. I was a bit miffed.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yes, I lost a lot when I was younger. We traded carts at school all the time. Ended up with some I never bought, too. If someone traded one of my carts to someone else I kept theirs until they got mine back. Never lost one once I was out of school.

th4tguy

Almost all of my game boy and game boy advance games went missing while I was at university. I’d left them at home and I’m pretty sure my little brother or one of his friends made off with them.

ssringo

Me lose a game? Never! I kept track of my stuff and kept it organized in boxes and such.

My friends though? They lost several games at my house. Chrono Trigger and Tecmo Super Bowl being a couple notable ones.

Didn't outright steal them. Just borrowed them and forgot to give them back. And the friends never asked for them either so...mine now!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, buddy Erik lent my copy of F-Zero to his cousin who lived in a different state, never got it back.

Accidentally threw away Godfather and Metal Slug Collection, Wii games. That one hurt cause it was completely accidental. Godfather on Wii is actually a really good game, probably the best version of it. Grabbing people with the Witmore/nunchuk and roughing them up was really fun.

Lent Folklore and Siren: Bloodcurse (uncensored Japanese version) to a friend and he later moved to Colorado. I already had the digital version of Siren but it sucks to not have the physical. Same with Folklore, that's actually a pretty cool game. Not sure if it's expensive but would like to get another copy at some point to revisit it.

Lent DQ8 (PS2) to a friend and he moved to Portland.

My buddies probably still have the games but I'm too nice of a guy to bring it up and create an awkward situation. Not worth it to me. What did I learn from it all? Never lend your games to people.

Jeeves

Never lost a game, but I did lose the instruction manual for my OoT Master Quest (or was is Zelda Collector's Edition?) at my friend's house. Despite it falling out of my hand and straight down to the floor, his room was so messy that the manual was instantly lost among the junk on the floor and it wasn't found until his family was moving out of the house several years later.

I know it makes no fucking sense. I still can't believe it.

Wohc

Banned
Lots of unfortunatley. I got like 50 pc game boxes on my attic and many dics are gone. Had them in a huge disc case at some point, but somehow it got lost.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Your turn !

Right. I Once threw a way a bunch of PS1 games without thought during a drastic move in 2011. One of those was Digimon World which I found out a year later was selling used for like $150...

Never technically stole any games but borrowing to the point of ownership... nearly every N64 cart was sold when I bought my 1st Dreamcast in the late 90's. I kept my console but had a retro moment in like 2001 where I wanted back some of my carts. A friend lent me Smash Bros, Mario 64, Zelda:OOT, and some other carts...I still have them and he never asked for them back. I'd give em back but we're all much older now so...I think they're mine by inheritance

That it ? I don't buy it. I know there is something else.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Judging You GIF

MiguelItUp

Nope, never. Is that a common thing? Lol.

I kept all of my games in one place, movies, music, etc. I always put everything back in its designated case as well. My older brother used to drive me crazy though. He didn't hold cds correctly, and he'd just put them in different cases and shit. Pretty wild to think that at the time I was only 11/12, and knew how to hold a cd correctly and he didn't, lol.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Nope. Never. I've always been hyper vigilant regarding my belongings, and that goes double for expensive electronics.

I've been playing videogames for 3 decades and never lost or broken a single thing in that time.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Never lost a game. But one "friend" stole this one from me.

iZnYqts.jpg

Even now the pain is real....

There's a certain age it seems in which we make friends that are secretly fucking assholes.

On my like 14th birthday party, I found one of my "friends" under my bed where I kept some things stuffing his pockets with my Magic cards and didn't notice I was watching him for like 15 seconds.

"I was gonna give them back". Yeah, sure James. You smelly piece of shit.

Top Bottom