• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, Sony now reminds me of previous gen MS

Raonak

Banned
The good thing about the constant news cycle is sooner or later, some good news will come and everybody will forget everything.
happens every damn time.

Luckily for sony, they're got a solid slate of upcomming games that should help them quite a bit.

Zog

Banned
You have to love these threads by Xbox fanboys pretending to be "concerned" PS fans lol! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
What if they are concerned Playstation fans who YOU are labelling Xbox fanboys (apparently only males can be fanatics) because you don't like what they are saying?

On Demand

Banned
i was thinking the same thing. i can see PS5 opening up a large gap very quickly. when sony actually manages to supply them properly and the games start coming, theres no way series x is getting close to it. series x may eventually have just as good a library of games but consoles sold? no chance.

Yeah PS5 sells out the moment it’s in stock. The demand is still high for it. GameStop recently had bundles costing $700. Didn’t even last an hour. Would love to see a month where Sony ships full stock. I’m taking over 1 million.

Sony’s sales forecast for PS5 hasn’t changed. It either matches PS4 or exceeds it. They supposedly sold 8M by March 31st. We’ll find out this month.

I don’t know where this sudden collapse of PS5 sales are supposed to come from. All because of so called negativity in the press lately? And couple of decisions people didn’t like? Come on now.

Zog

Banned
Yeah PS5 sells out the moment it’s in stock. The demand is still high for it. GameStop recently had bundles costing $700. Didn’t even last an hour. Would love to see a month where Sony ships full stock. I’m taking over 1 million.

Sony’s sales forecast for PS5 hasn’t changed. It either matches PS4 or exceeds it. They supposedly sold 8M by March 31st. We’ll find out this month.

I don’t know where this sudden collapse of PS5 sales are supposed to come from. All because of so called negativity in the press lately? And couple of decisions people didn’t like? Come on now.
Aren't XSX's selling out very quickly too?

quest

Not Banned from OT
PS2 wasn't released in 2001, it was released in 2000 (March in Japan). The first year exclusives line-up of PS5 will be way better than the one PS2 had.
If your only counting the actual year it was released well the dreamcast will always be the heavy weight champion. You can't count 2021 for the ps5 if 2001 doesn't count for the ps2. Maybe Sony and Microsoft can show up to the fight next time because shit was a iron Mike 90 second knock out special.

Zog

Banned
Shhhhhh, didn't you know there is some stock in Bolivia, clearly xbox is selling shit
Selling out game hardware means nothing right now. All three companies are selling out their hardware quickly but I guess that's what people have to say to defend Sony despite all the negative press Sony is getting lately. That negative press WILL catch up with them.

Last edited:
Selling out game hardware means nothing right now. All three companies are selling out their hardware quickly but I guess that's what people have to say to defend Sony despite all the negative press Sony is getting lately. That negative press WILL catch up with them.

it wont change anything because ultimately its games that actually make any impact. otherwise switch would have collapsed ages ago. ps3 wouldnt have gotten anywhere near 85m sold without the good library of games it had. you dont think games like spider-man 2 and god of war ragnarok alone will move millions on consoles? or will peole be like nah, sony closed the ps3 store and japan studio so we we no longer want to play these games! even xbox one managed to sell 50m consoles but going by the intenet you would have thought it was wii u levels of performance! i mean do you honestly believe a jason shreirer piece is going to make a scratch on playstation? thats like saying you can sink a ship by throwing bread at it. playstation can stumble but its going to have to be a much bigger mistake than a few articles and studio closures.

Last edited:
I don't think you can compare the PS3 to the PS5

PS3: $599
PS5: $499, $399

PS3: Exotic architecture and a headache for developers
PS5: Development similar to the PS4

PS3: Launched 1 year after the competition, not a good launch
PS5: A few good titles at launch and a good 1st year

I was referring to their attitude than specifics.

Hezekiah

Banned
Are you seriously suggesting that Sony's business will be significantly impacted by some negative articles on Bloomberg? What proportion of gamers do you think actually read this stuff? Once Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, Kena, Horizon, Deathloop etc release everybody will be too busy playing their PS5s to care about some reactionary navel-gazers.

Zog

Banned
Are you seriously suggesting that Sony's business will be significantly impacted by some negative articles on Bloomberg? What proportion of gamers do you think actually read this stuff? Once Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, Kena, Horizon, Deathloop etc release everybody will be too busy playing their PS5s to care about some reactionary navel-gazers.
Yeah, I believe that the negative press is going to hurt Sony. I also think they have to answer to GamePass (because people don't equate PSNOW to GamePass).

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah, I believe that the negative press is going to hurt Sony. I also think they have to answer to GamePass (because people don't equate PSNOW to GamePass).
I don't, simply because GamePass isn't sustainable in its current form. And because quality trumps quantity.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think some ppl are mistaken thinking that the negative press they have gotten, even recently , is so big of a deal that they will be affected.

Its really not that big of a deal.

Stores for.....discontinued game consoles..... is so niche its not even funny. Especially when many of the games got remakes, remasters or are available on newer consoles.
Game Pass is a service, Sony already has one (2 if you count PS Plus) in place. They have the hard part out of the way. I know I said this before somewhere but dont ppl realize users subscribed to Plus when it was on PS3, that had free online? It already offered free games and discounts.
Game prices are getting raised by other publishers. Thats not a thing specific to Sony.
Articles about the inner workings of Sony, that wasnt even as controversial as some made it before it dropped, is such a non story its not even funny. And amazing that the positives in it get overlooked by some because reasons.

I dont know what else would even register on a grand scale that it would effect Sony, and I know I didnt cover everything. Sony CD's had rootkits in them years ago, and there was a ....massive..... backlash because of it.
Sony Music is still going strong.

Non flattering, negative press doesnt always equal DOOMED. It always depends on the type of negative news/negative press.

And just because it makes MS look better in comparison doesnt equal DOOMED for Sony. If anything it will help MS more so than hurt Sony.

IMO, these companies suffer from self inflicted wounds. And I dont see any self inflicted wounds big enough that will effect Sony.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Your prediction is already out of whack based off sales and software output.

Or are you judging this from bad news articles too? lol.
What? I honestly don't understand what you mean.

If you are saying launch sales determine the winner then maybe, but I would be skeptical of that claim.

On Demand

Banned
Aren't XSX's selling out very quickly too?

PS5 demands is higher. It’s known, it’s been reported on.

And lol at you thinking news is going to affect PS5 sales. That’s asinine. People buy consoles to play games. PS5 doesn’t have any problems with lack of games. Now and definitely not in the future. On top of PS brand is huge at this point. No amount news articles is going to change any of that.

As I mentioned before Sony not doing crossplay and not allowing fortnight players to transfer their account to Switch and Xbox was a a much bigger deal than whatever minuscule complaints are in the news now

None of that stopped PS4 from selling. During all that negative press PS4 was still outselling Switch and Xbox One.

Get outside from the Internet forum bubble.

If you are saying launch sales determine the winner then maybe, but I would be skeptical of that claim.

you think xbox series x/s will sell more than PS5 in total. i think microsoft would do well to get within 30m unit of them. that would still be an improvement from last generation.

On Demand

Banned

PS5 has the brand awareness and momentum in case you didn’t notice. It’s sales are outpacing PS4.

Why would any of this change so suddenly? There are big first party games coming to PS5 that will ensure that it keeps the pace. PS5 has already proved out the gate it’s off to another successful generation for Sony.

PlayStation brand is always
underestimated and I have no idea why. You would think 4 successful consoles would heed the point home by now.

kingpotato

PS5 has the brand awareness and momentum in case you didn’t notice. It’s sales are outpacing PS4.

Why would any of this change so suddenly? There are big first party games coming to PS5 that will ensure that it keeps the pace. PS5 has already proved out the gate it’s off to another successful generation for Sony.

PlayStation brand is always
underestimated and I have no idea why. You would think 4 successful consoles would heed the point home by now.

I guess in my mind it has to do with some of the exotic design of the ps5 itself. It's huge and awkward with interesting choices on the inside as well, reminiscent of the ps3. I'm a fan of the PlayStation brand personally and I don't think feeling like a competitor is going to have a successful generation conflicts with that.

I wonder what was worse. Having a new thread every single day about gamepass being the second coming of jesus or the downfall of earth or people speculating in newly created threads every day about Sony being doomed, because of feelings and tarot card reading.
Exactly,
Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

quest

Not Banned from OT
PS4 and Sony were nasty last gen. Only difference is Xbox stepped it up big time and Sony stayed the same.
Not really we destroyed Microsoft for drm online only. Sony is trying to force ps3 digital owners of ps1,ps2 games to ps now you know online only drm on ps5 lol and people defend it. Makes me sick to be honest we all stood up to Microsoft. Now it is sweep it under the rug because of console wars 8 years later.

Hezekiah

Banned
Lol. Please, share your insider knowledge about how Phil Spencer lied when he said Gamepass was sustainable, and provide your detailed financial breakdown of Microsoft's Gamepass service. Literally the entire video game industry will be deeply interested.
Too bad Microsoft hides the financials.

Plus I'm not totally naive. What did Ahmad say, they need over 50m subscribers? And that's people actually paying full price and not $1 until 2023.

nbkicker

Have to agree ive been a big sony fan since the original ps1, and every machine ive had ive always played loads on and was impressed with the system when i first unboxed it, nothing about unboxing the ps5 screems quality, its kinda just looks cheap to me, even more since every ps5 ive had has had coil whine to a certain degree, and two ps5 with clunky fans in them, ive never had a xbox since the 360 and recently decided to buy a xbox series x and this thing screams more value when unboxing , i cant hear any noise coming from it unless my ear next to it, unlike my ps5 where im 10ft away and no its on my fan whirling, plus when u hear about some of the choices sony making recently and microsoft its like back to that e3 with sony ps4 and Microsoft but this time its roles reversed. Maybe sony has the attitude it cant do no wrong and people just gonna stick with them

As a gamer who ended last gen firmly in Microsoft's camp, Sony is miles away from the Mattrick's goat-fuck in 2013.

I will say though, MLB The Show on Gamepass day and date is the ballsiest 'shots fired' since the used game sharing video.

Freeman76

So true. Its gone full circle and Sony are back to their arrogance while MS are doing massive things to make people love them.

I own both consoles so its a win win for me, but anyone saying MS arent killing Sony atm has an idiotic brand loyalty and should think twice

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think gaming and videogames in general look a bit down now based on the following;

- 24/7 news cycle but
- New consoles are difficult to get
- New GPUs are difficult to get
- Many big games delayed due to COVID

Plenty of good games coming out still but I think the above has an effect on everything.

On Demand

Banned
I guess in my mind it has to do with some of the exotic design of the ps5 itself. It's huge and awkward with interesting choices on the inside as well, reminiscent of the ps3. I'm a fan of the PlayStation brand personally and I don't think feeling like a competitor is going to have a successful generation conflicts with that.

So because of the design, which many people actually like anyway, you feel is not going to be successful? That’s a strange opinion. Design is the least important part of a console being successful.

I never called your PS fandom into question. Your thoughts on the generation is at odds whith what’s actually happening.

Yes to be honest, articles do their part too.

No they do not as I proved many times in my post.

Leave the Internet forums and look at reality.

CC-Tron

Neo Member
you think xbox series x/s will sell more than PS5 in total. i think microsoft would do well to get within 30m unit of them. that would still be an improvement from last generation.
What difference does it make if MS sells less consoles than Sony? They could 'win' the gen selling less consoles now.

kingpotato

So because of the design, which many people actually like anyway, you feel is not going to be successful? That’s a strange opinion. Design is the least important part of a console being successful.

I never called your PS fandom into question. Your thoughts on the generation is at odds whith what’s actually happening.

No they do not as I proved many times in my post.

Leave the Internet forums and look at reality.

All I did was try and explain my personal feelings on the similarities between the ps3 and ps5 as perceived by me. I dgaf what many other people like. Last night I had to physically turn the console off with the button because of a Bluetooth bug and because I placed slight pressure on the top of the console while pressing the button it tipped over from its horizontal position. It's a questionable design when form is given more consideration than function. The same is true for it's cooling design since this console is far from quiet. It's not ps4pro jet engine loud, but I hear it all the time.

I never said the ps5 wasn't a success or that it wouldn't be successful. I liked the ps3 and believe it was a success despite the 360 being a better console with better offerings for that generation.

Any console with fun games and a decent lifespan is a success imo. We're talking about two different things, take a breather.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
All I did was try and explain my personal feelings on the similarities between the ps3 and ps5 as perceived by me. I dgaf what many other people like. Last night I had to physically turn the console off with the button because of a Bluetooth bug and because I placed slight pressure on the top of the console while pressing the button it tipped over from its horizontal position. It's a questionable design when form is given more consideration than function. The same is true for it's cooling design since this console is far from quiet. It's not ps4pro jet engine loud, but I hear it all the time.

I never said the ps5 wasn't a success or that it wouldn't be successful. I liked the ps3 and believe it was a success despite the 360 being a better console with better offerings for that generation.

Any console with fun games and a decent lifespan is a success imo. We're talking about two different things, take a breather.

You made a post with your prediction on this generation. I called you out on it with things that doesn’t match your outcome. You responded with you not liking the design and it reminds you of PS3 is the reason PS5 will have a different generation than last. I mention design doesn’t dictate a successful console. Now you backtrack a little with this post.

All I’m saying is nothing is happening where it looks like PS5 won’t have another dominant generation. Personal opinion on the design and quirks of the hardware, and exaggeratory news articles, are irrelevant.

Last edited:
MS course corrected from their TV strategy a few months into the cycle. If they weren't trying to make a capable gaming machine with that adjustment, what have they been doing for the last 7 years? Perpetually planning for the next E3?
The gaming component of the X1 was an added value to the television component. The whole generation they shed studios until Phil Spencer took over and they started adding studios again and introduced the X1X an actual game console. The last 7 years were building up their 1st party studios, investing in cloud infrastructure, Game pass, and backward compatibility. Sony was focused on single player story driven games and that paid off. Now we'll see how a competition between two companies focused on games will be. Sony will always win against companies that commit seppuku.

kingpotato

You made a post with your prediction on this generation. I called you out on it with things that doesn’t match your outcome. You responded with you not liking the design and it reminds you of PS3 is the reason PS5 will have a different generation than last. I mention design doesn’t dictate a successful console. Now you backtrack a little with this post.

All I’m saying is nothing is happening where it looks like PS5 won’t have another dominant generation. Personal opinion on the design and quirks of the hardware, and exaggeratory news articles, are irrelevant.
Well congratulations on "calling me" on a personal feeling based on anecdotal evidence of my own opinions. You win my friend. In MY OPINION, if the Xbox Series X finishes the gen with better multiplatform performance and a slew of console exclusives that are excellent, it could easily be the "winner" in many people's eyes including mine. You never really asked what I meant by my original post, not that you give a shit about people's opinions beyond your ability to try and contradict them with your own impression of what they may have meant. I don't remember posting or quoting any news articles so I don't know why you've brought that up multiple times.

Now you can bask in the glow of your many loved ones and recount the time you misconstrued a post and brow beat the random person on the internet into blocking your future posts.

Three

Sure

is the discontent that is growing in the Sony community. just open this forum, resetera or any other or thetwitter or just open some outlet and read a lot of theirs news ... almost all with a negative tone and they are piling up a lot of doubts and perplexities. Those are the flames
So the doom is that people think it's doomed? Whereas the reality is that it has more games and is selling more consoles and games than the competition?

Fake Self fulfilling prophecy I guess. I mean I understand that a lot of people are buttburt about the acquisition but really the console and games are fine if people let go of rumours and looking into their crystal balls.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So true. Its gone full circle and Sony are back to their arrogance while MS are doing massive things to make people love them.

I own both consoles so its a win win for me, but anyone saying MS arent killing Sony atm has an idiotic brand loyalty and should think twice
If people don't want subscription gaming but buy consoles based on exclusives, Sony is killing MS

Zeroing

Banned

Lol you don’t remember the early Xbox one days do you? That was arrogant Microsoft and it was scary.
Anyway,
Even Nintendo is “killing” Xbox ...
get out of your bubble.

Top Bottom