• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, Sony now reminds me of previous gen MS

On Demand

Banned
You’re part of the “I need news all the time” generation.

Maybe people should stop focusing on news articles curated on forums giving you a warped perception of the world, and play some games or do other things in your life instead.

The crossplay “backlash” and complaints from 2019 was more noticeable and all over the media than anything happening right now and Sony was still releasing games for PS4 and outselling both the switch and XB1 during all those months. Even after dumb claims by people saying Sony is losing all their “goodwill” and “PS4 “momentum.” None of that happened. Cause it’s like i said, news articles after news articles posted in one place can make you overthink things.

And no way is Sony like MS last generation. Sony actually has games for PS5. Unlike a certain other console where you’re always being told to wait.

Play GAMES not NEWS articles. Stop ignoring tangible things in front of you and getting all emotional off out of context clickbait news.

For whatever reason, maybe hubris, they seem to want to flip flop. Will be interesting to see how it goes next gen (in, like, 8 years lol), whether Sony will be the darling again and MS goes full Mattrick once more.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Microsoft still launched their new consoles without any new first party exclusives, that was and is a bad look. If we are lucky we will get one new first party game this year (halo) how pathetic.

It’s really sad. Fanboys give them a pass for this. Constantly we’re being told to wait while people push this gamepass BS.

Sony launched PS5 with multiple games. An actual next generation console with new UI and controller. Returnal is out in a few weeks and R&C in June.

Get the F outta here with this fake negativity and outrage.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Isn't that what always happens though? Sony had success with PS2, then got cocky for PS3 and allowed microsoft to dominate the space. Then microsoft hot cocky and allowed Sony to dominate. Now it's happening again to Sony.

It was the same for Nintendo, they had success with the Wii and did minimal efforts to continue that success so we got Wii U. Now we have the switch which is practically a surrender from them because now they don't have a handheld anymore. After the success of DS they only added fucking 3D lmao. If they would have had decent competition the 3DS would have been a huge failure.
The PS3 wasn't dominated, in the end it sold more than the Xbox 360

Hobbygaming

Sony have gone from a confident company that was happy to take a chance on new ip and try new things to a company that releases HD remakes of old games and charges you $70 for dlc level content

Sony were not ready to release the ps5 last year...that’s pretty clear from the missing features of the os and the release schedule
The release schedule is no indicator of Sony not being ready to release the PS5

PS4 notable launch titles: Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack (lol)

PS5 notable launch titles: Spider-man Miles Morales, Demon Souls, Sackboy, Astro's Playroom

Also that "DLC" is a standalone title $49.99 and it's $20 more for the remaster of the 2018 Spider-man game

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah, I don't know if you heard, but there's a global pandemic shutting down development and killing people. But yes, Microsoft and Sony both still launched their new more powerful toy to replace the previous one, despite lacking new big marquee software to showcase it.

"hOw PaThEtIc!"
Oooh ya got me so bad by writing out “how pathetic” like a moron, now im gonna go rethink my stance. Sorry, pandemic is not a blanket excuse. They knew that console was coming for a few year. It is pathetic that they had nothing ready to go.

Fredrik

Tbh GT7 is going to have to be pretty special for me to ever invest in a Sony Racer again, Drive Club in my opinion was excellent and the talent at the studio was second to none, but after a problematic launch Sony just weren't interested.... 🤦‍♂️
From what we know so far it’ll be single player focused with a real career mode and I’m sure the driving will be at least on par with GTS. That’s enough for me to be interested. Add haptic feedback and maybe PSVR2 functionality and it’ll be real special.
I skipped GTS, only played the demo, and GT6 came after I had already jumped over to PS4, so a proper GT is highly anticipated!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am not that much of a gamer anymore because I don’t have much time, but I like to stay informed and I will sit and play a good game every once in a while.

ok, so I’ll be straight with this one. Sony really reminds me of last gen MS and I mean that in a bad way. I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest. To much negative press, lack of new good info etc. I don’t know, maybe it’s my idea. I’ve been with Sony since PS2, I also had some MS and Nintendo consoles in the meantime (GameCube, wii, wiiu, Xbox 360, xbone) but PlayStation was my main always. It’s the first time I have this feeling.
I didn’t feel like this even with PS3 at launch. Is it my idea or not? What’s your opinion?

Jim Ryan me if this already exists.
nah, MS had a better first year than Sony.

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2

vs

- Demon Souls
- Miles
- Returnal
- Ratchet

Maybe Horizon but it looks like horizon is getting delayed.

Don Matrick had actually created a pretty decent first year lineup and had Phil not cancelled the Coalition Studios new IP, the Obsidian RPG, the Fable game, and Scalebound, they wouldve had a great first half of the gen.

As for Sony, they can still salvage this by launching Horizon this year and releasing it like MS released Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 by creating it as a next gen game first, and have someone else downport the game to last gen platforms so the next gen version isnt compromised in the slightest. But if all they are doing is launching last gen GoW, last gen Horizon, last gen TLOU factions, and last gen GT7 with 4k or 60 fps visuals with ray tracing like Miles then they are clearly even worse than microsoft because MS at least focused on making next gen games in the first year of Xbox One.

fallingdove

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2

vs

- Demon Souls
- Miles
- Returnal
- Ratchet

Don Matrick had actually created a pretty decent first year lineup and had Phil not cancelled the Coalition Studios new IP, the Obsidian RPG, the Fable game, and Scalebound, they wouldve had a great first half of the gen.

As for Sony, they can still salvage this by launching Horizon this year and releasing it like MS released Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 by creating it as a next gen game first, and have someone else downport the game to last gen platforms so the next gen version isnt compromised in the slightest. But if all they are doing is launching last gen GoW, last gen Horizon, last gen TLOU factions, and last gen GT7 with 4k or 60 fps visuals with ray tracing like Miles then they are clearly even worse than microsoft because MS at least focused on making next gen games in the first year of Xbox One.

You left Astro Bot, Sackboy Adventures, and Spiderman Remastered off the PS5 list and (probably the 2nd most important Xbox One launch exclusive) Killer Instinct off the Xbox One list.

At any rate - the water is fine on the PS5 side of the house. People have allowed FUD to cloud their perception of reality. It is WAY too early to tell if the overall strategy for PlayStation has changed enough that people will notice. Internal politics are happening non-stop in every business. A series of slow news cycles have simply allowed for internal conflicts to gain more traction externally.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The ps5 is still the console everyone wants and their games are great.

They can never compete with MS’s money and look like they’re going conservative to limit risks with their big blockbusters. Even still, the ps5 had a fun and weird ass timed exclusive like Bugsnax at launch.

Zoro7

Banned
Sony has really arsed up the PS5 launch and everything else so far this generation. I’ve bought every Playstation at launch (before you go call me an Xbox fanboy) and was set on getting a PS5 but at launch approached it just seemed Sony had no idea WTF they were doing. No good exclusives unless you could a remake of an 11 year old game and a Spider-Man expansion.

I regret selling my PS4 because honestly the only games I wanna play are my old PS4 ones. The only game I’ll want to play is Horizon Forbidden West whenever that comes out.

meanwhile, I actually bought an Xbox at launch for the first time. game pass is insane value and there’s more than 1 exclusive I actually want to play on it. plus, Microsoft has done a great job with backwards compatibility compared to Sony only supported PS4.

I’ll probably get a PS5 at some point in a couple years or so. right now i only want one to replay Bloodborne/Persona and it makes no sense to buy a PS4. hopefully Sony will make some good exclusives that interest me. also, they need to beef up PS+ or introduce a new service to compete with game pass.
PS5 has no good exclusives....proceeds to buy an Xbox. WOW!

Hobbygaming

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2

vs

- Demon Souls
- Miles
- Returnal
- Ratchet

I liked the Xbox One's launch but what if PS5's 1st year is

- Spider-man Miles Morales
- Returnal
- Demon Souls
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Sackboy
- Astro's Playroom
- Guilty Gear Strive
- SIFU

Do you still choose

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2

Dolomite

- Returnal
- Demon Souls
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Sackboy
- Astro's Playroom
- Guilty Gear Strive
- SIFU

Do you still choose

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2
Are Astro and Sackboy worth calling off the bench for sale of argument though?

FrankWza

you made me mentally incapable of thinking.
wizard of oz brain GIF

I feel bad for people that already determine the outcome of this gen, based on pure speculations and their own feels.

You see, it's weird because ever since the launch of the PS5 i got to play Astro's Playroom, SP: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and still gotta play Sackboy. Also, i have a huge backlog of games that are PS exclusives as well, granted for free by the PS Plus collection. And we got a huge wave of new first party games coming this year, i probably won't even have time to play all of them - ever since that i barely touched anything on my active GP subscription, hell i don't even know what Xbox has to offer in the near future.

I understand it's a personal preference and a matter of taste what you like more, but as a fan of Sony's games, it certainly doesn't feel like they are not giving a shit anymore. Media has always been overreacting and at the end of the day, we are talking about "those kind of gamers" who get upset about everything. I bet you, 90% of the people owning a PlayStation don't even know about the bad press Sony has gotten recently, and they won't give a shit either. Like who cares that DG2 got rejected, its common practice in the industry to reject something that doesn't meet expectations.

Last edited:
Sony remind me of PS3 sony. I've been saying that since their fucking pretentious E3 presentation where they just showed 4 games in different rooms. Was obvious their head was too far up their ass. They'll be humbled and then come good again. Competition can only be good for the industry.

Last edited:

Skifi28

You’re part of the “I need news all the time” generation.
I fear this is becoming a real issue. I don't know when it happened exactly, but I realised it in the few months before launch. This place was completely unbearable then, much like it's slowly becoming now and the only real issues has been not announcing something on a daily basis. How did we get here?

NickFire

I completely agree that Sony seems off right now. I know we are approaching the announcements season and things may change. But what has Sony done to drum up excitement since the day their belief in generations was proven to be fluid at best, and false at worse? Ok, they launched and did include a couple games that look good (MM and DS). Great, wonderful, even a bit exciting but trying to get a PS5 outside of scalers is damn near impossible without dedicating your life to it. They don't even try to make consoles available to long time customers via PS4 consoles.

And outside of launch games, what do we really expect for 2021 right now? Seems pretty dry for a company who believed in generations less than a year ago. I'm guessing that at best we get Ratchet (yawn) and a game or two that will be in bargain bins less than a year after launch.

I have no illusion that there is a greener field to play in, but Sony still seems like it's a ship without a rudder to me right now.

G-Bus

Banned
Jesus, hasn't even been a year. Honestly don't get all this Sony is doomed shit that's come out around here this last couple months. Bots? Paid trolls?

Every generation starts off slowly with all the multiplatform shit and what not. This gen is no different and only exacerbated from Pandemic bullshit.

Sony is fine and will continue to do well.

SlimySnake

- Returnal
- Demon Souls
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Sackboy
- Astro's Playroom
- Guilty Gear Strive
- SIFU

Do you still choose

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2
I liked Astros Playroom but it shouldve been a full game. Not just 4 levels plus a final boss.GG and SIFU are just not the kind of games we are talking about hrere. I mean i might as well include the million kinect games they launched with and the F2P Killer Instinct but no one even thinks of those games when talking about year 1 lineups. Just like how no one will remember SIFU and GG a couple of years from now when we look back on first year games.

But if Horizon comes out and isnt a carbon copy of the PS4 port then I will pick the PS5. Ratchet needs to be more than just the PS4 remake they released in 2016. The series is in dire need of a reboot.

Hobbygaming

Sony remind me of PS3 sony. I've been saying that since their fucking pretentious E3 presentation where they just showed 4 games in different rooms. Was obvious their head was too far up their ass. They'll be humbled and then come good again. Competition can only be good for the industry.
I don't think you can compare the PS3 to the PS5

PS3: $599
PS5: $499, $399

PS3: Exotic architecture and a headache for developers
PS5: Development similar to the PS4

PS3: Launched 1 year after the competition, not a good launch
PS5: A few good titles at launch and a good 1st year

Shanomatic

I think the biggest reason people feel that way is that Sony has been characteristically silent. This isn't particularly surprising, they've always been like this as far as I'm aware, but it's a lot more noticeable when Microsoft has been so vocal and interactive, especially the last few weeks.

I'm not even referring to interviews or press releases, I'm talking about more basic stuff. I mean, if I wanted to I could tweet out to Spencer, Greenberg, or Hyrb on the Xbox side and could reasonably receive a response; is there any high-level Sony executives that are on social media and interact with people? I'm not aware of any.

That said, stop worrying, they'll be fine, as they always have been; they'll almost assuredly outsell the Series X/S and you'll have your customary sales threads where you can gloat. In fact, I'm sure there's one right now.

Redlancet

Banned

- Forza 4
- Dead Rising 3
- Ryse
- Titanfall
- Sunset Overdrive
- Forza Horizon 2

vs

- Demon Souls
- Miles
- Returnal
- Ratchet

woah hahahaha demons souls vs ryse? rachet vs dead rising 3? come on son

Hobbygaming

I liked Astros Playroom but it shouldve been a full game. Not just 4 levels plus a final boss.GG and SIFU are just not the kind of games we are talking about hrere. I mean i might as well include the million kinect games they launched with and the F2P Killer Instinct but no one even thinks of those games when talking about year 1 lineups. Just like how no one will remember SIFU and GG a couple of years from now when we look back on first year games.

But if Horizon comes out and isnt a carbon copy of the PS4 port then I will pick the PS5. Ratchet needs to be more than just the PS4 remake they released in 2016. The series is in dire need of a reboot.
I left off games on the PS5 side but Sackboy and Astro's Playroom should be included. Just like Ori would've been included if it came out in 2013

As for Ratchet and Clank I loved the 2016 PS4 game it's one of my favorites on the console

Last edited:

SlimySnake

woah hahahaha demons souls vs ryse? rachet vs dead rising 3? come on son
nah. demon Souls vs titanfall. ratchet vs sunset.

ryse fucking sucked but it was a great technical showpiece like the order. bad games we all played because we wanted to justify the console's existence.

SlimySnake

I left off games on the PS5 side but Sackboy and Astro's Playroom should be included. Just like Ori would've been included if it came out in 2013

As for Ratchet and Clank I loved the 2016 PS4 game it's one of my favorites on the console
I will give you astro, but sackboy is cross gen as fuck and not in a good way like Titanfall and Forza which were designed from the ground up on next gen machines and ported down later. Sackboy is basically a ps4 game running at higher resolution and framerate on ps5.

Regardless, i think the fact that they are even comparable shows you how Sony has turned into MS which is the main point of this thread. You'd have expected Sony to destroy xbox one's launch year, not barely match it.

Interfectum

Are Astro and Sackboy worth calling off the bench for sale of argument though?
Uh yes? They are both fantastic games and Astro is an amazing showcase for the DS controller. They also go against the current narrative that PS Studios only does "sad dad" games. For some reason they don't count though. :pie_thinking:

Hobbygaming

I will give you astro, but sackboy is cross gen as fuck and not in a good way like Titanfall and Forza which were designed from the ground up on next gen machines and ported down later. Sackboy is basically a ps4 game running at higher resolution and framerate on ps5.

Regardless, i think the fact that they are even comparable shows you how Sony has turned into MS which is the main point of this thread. You'd have expected Sony to destroy xbox one's launch year, not barely match it.
This is arguably Playstation's best 1st year. PS consoles usually have a slow ramp up. Xbox One's 1st year was the best in its console cycle but the following years were middling

Hobbygaming

Uh yes? They are both fantastic games and Astro is an amazing showcase for the DS controller. They also go against the current narrative that PS Studios only does "sad dad" games. For some reason they don't count though. :pie_thinking:
*Claps* yeah how does racers count but platformers don't count for some reason...

Keihart

I think the biggest reason people feel that way is that Sony has been characteristically silent. This isn't particularly surprising, they've always been like this as far as I'm aware, but it's a lot more noticeable when Microsoft has been so vocal and interactive, especially the last few weeks.

I'm not even referring to interviews or press releases, I'm talking about more basic stuff. I mean, if I wanted to I could tweet out to Spencer, Greenberg, or Hyrb on the Xbox side and could reasonably receive a response; is there any high-level Sony executives that are on social media and interact with people? I'm not aware of any.

That said, stop worrying, they'll be fine, as they always have been; they'll almost assuredly outsell the Series X/S and you'll have your customary sales threads where you can gloat. In fact, I'm sure there's one right now.
Only Shu, and he is working on indie third party efforts now.

Sony is nothing like last gen MS, they are making great games, they didn't shove a peripheral into the box and expect everyone to gladly pay $100 extra for it, they've done nothing wrong other than have some fans who are so immature that they don't understand how business works.

I think you guys are bored cause there's nothing to play right now, on either console. This is leading to many free hours, that would usually be occupied with video games, for thinking of scenarios and possibilities. Like "Jim Ryan is running Playstation into the ground" "Ever since Jim Ryan..." "Bethesda... Bethesda" "what will happen to smaller games" so on and so forth :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We're less than 8 months into the generation... they need time to make/release games. It's going to be alright.

Sony will be fine. All the doom and gloom is a bit overblown. I am not a fan of the new UI, coil whine build issues, and their back compatibility isn't anything to write home about but they will continue to stick with their tried and true formula of 3rd person, single player, story driven games. I actually appreciate Sony is sticking to the same thing they've always done as it better accentuates the differences between the platforms and gives customers options. It will make a much more interesting generation to not have MS trying to develop a cable box and actually make a capable gaming machine to compete with Sony's game machine.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This is the natural order.

PS2 > Xbox
PS3 < 360
PS4 > One

It's time for PS5 < Series

Full disclosure: I've owned every Sony console including the PS5 except the Vita, but only ever owned a 360.

Still the complete lack of exclusive titles or titles that are significantly better on Series better change soon or my prediction can just jump right in the toilet.

fallingdove

Sony will be fine. All the doom and gloom is a bit overblown. I am not a fan of the new UI, coil whine build issues, and their back compatibility isn't anything to write home about but they will continue to stick with their tried and true formula of 3rd person, single player, story driven games. I actually appreciate Sony is sticking to the same thing they've always done as it better accentuates the differences between the platforms and gives customers options. It will make a much more interesting generation to not have MS trying to develop a cable box and actually make a capable gaming machine to compete with Sony's game machine.

MS course corrected from their TV strategy a few months into the cycle. If they weren't trying to make a capable gaming machine with that adjustment, what have they been doing for the last 7 years? Perpetually planning for the next E3?

PooBone

I am not that much of a gamer anymore because I don’t have much time, but I like to stay informed and I will sit and play a good game every once in a while.

ok, so I’ll be straight with this one. Sony really reminds me of last gen MS and I mean that in a bad way. I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest. To much negative press, lack of new good info etc. I don’t know, maybe it’s my idea. I’ve been with Sony since PS2, I also had some MS and Nintendo consoles in the meantime (GameCube, wii, wiiu, Xbox 360, xbone) but PlayStation was my main always. It’s the first time I have this feeling.
I didn’t feel like this even with PS3 at launch. Is it my idea or not? What’s your opinion?

Jim Ryan me if this already exists.
Hard to argue.

On Demand

Banned
This is the natural order.

PS2 > Xbox
PS3 < 360
PS4 > One

It's time for PS5 < Series

Full disclosure: I've owned every Sony console including the PS5 except the Vita, but only ever owned a 360.

Still the complete lack of exclusive titles or titles that are significantly better on Series better change soon or my prediction can just jump right in the toilet.

Your prediction is already out of whack based off sales and software output.

Or are you judging this from bad news articles too? lol.

Last edited:
absolute nonsense! what have sony done thats anywhere near the kinect/ no used games/ always online/ 24 hours online checks? if anything, this is one of sonys best launches ever. good hardware at a good price. decent launch games. promising first year lineup. what are you talking about?

Your prediction is already out of whack based off sales and software output.

Or are you judging this from bad news articles too? lol.

i was thinking the same thing. i can see PS5 opening up a large gap very quickly. when sony actually manages to supply them properly and the games start coming, theres no way series x is getting close to it. series x may eventually have just as good a library of games but consoles sold? no chance.

Top Bottom