• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, Sony now reminds me of previous gen MS

Part of it has been the colossal goat fuck of a launch with no hardware and nothing to play even if you have one.
But yeah, this does not feel like the same company that made the PS4. It sucks, because I really believe GamPass is cancer and I don’t want to see MS gain dominance with such a plan. But my gut is starting to think in spite of a lead to start with, I think MS is going to at least make a good comeback this go around.
Games wise the PS5 launch is way better than the PS4's. What are you talking about?

Sony killed it last gen, and they're going to kill it again until proven otherwise. All this negativity is downright baffling. Who gives a flying fuck about Jim Ryan lol.

Love what both companies are doing.

odhiex

I just got my PS5 order reserved for September. Until then I reserve my judgement on the new console.

But man, PS4 generation has been killing it. Again, I don't care about the internal politics. Show me the games that I want to play.

I am stoke for Ratchet and Kena.

Last edited:

plip.plop

I don't understand all the doom and gloom going on right now in the "news" with Sony. They are still on top, and until they actually start making announcements that confirm any of these rumors, that is exactly what they are. Better to react and respond to official statements than the perceptions of the vocal minority.

Everytime I read another negative Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft thread on NeoGAF, I feel like I'm caught in a glitch in the Matrix

*goes back to playing Streets of Rage 3 on the MiSTer*

Last edited:

Renozokii

Sony have gone from a confident company that was happy to take a chance on new ip and try new things to a company that releases HD remakes of old games and charges you $70 for dlc level content

Sony were not ready to release the ps5 last year...that’s pretty clear from the missing features of the os and the release schedule
Take a chance on new ip:

ps4 first year new ips.. knack?

ps5 first year new ips: returnal.. They also just launched concrete genie, dreams and ghosts of Tsushima in the last year or so.

Try new things:

Ps4 main new features: motion pad and speaker on controller, more power.. not sure what else really it launched with

ps5 main new features: haptic feed back, microphone, return of touch pad and speaker in controller. Industry leading ssd. More power of course as well. Vr follow up announced near launch with a controller that alone looks to set apart from all other vr hardware. Full bc with previous console which ps4 lacked.

HD remakes of all old games:

A) not a negative. Bc is cool for a week then you realize new games do more in almost every way. One of the most overrated features of all time. Anyone acting as though more people would have replayed bc demons souls vs the remake is a fool.

B)

ps5 has a single remake. Ps4 had a remaster of the last of us near its launch. Spider-Man remaster costs 20 bucks stand alone, beyond reasonable. Yes Microsoft put out a free upgrade for gears 5. At the same time though, maybe it’s because no one would have bought a remastered gears 5? Or any Microsoft game really?

c)

The single remake currently on ps5 was done by an external studio. Do you think that slowed down first party releases? I hope not.

70$ for dlc levels of content:

what are you talking about?

Sony were not ready to release the ps5:

Even if we only end up getting spider man mm, Astro bots, demons souls, sack boy, returnal, ratchet and clank, and death loop by the end of this year, I beg you to name a launch year for a console with a better exclusive line up?

As for the os, I’m sure they could have had a better ui if they copy and pasted it as MS did. They tried a few new things. It will get better as it does. People cried the ps4s ui was worse than the ps3s on launch. It’s been 5 months.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Take a chance on new ip:

ps4 first year new ips.. knack?

ps5 first year new ips: returnal.. They also just launched concrete genie, dreams and ghosts of Tsushima in the last year or so.

Try new things:

Ps4 main new features: motion pad and speaker on controller, more power.. not sure what else really it launched with

ps5 main new features: haptic feed back, microphone, return of touch pad and speaker in controller. Industry leading ssd. More power of course as well. Vr follow up announced near launch with a controller that alone looks to set apart from all other vr hardware. Full bc with previous console which ps4 lacked.

HD remakes of all old games:

A) not a negative. Bc is cool for a week then you realize new games do more in almost every way. One of the most overrated features of all time. Anyone acting as though more people would have replayed bc demons souls vs the remake is a fool.

B)

ps5 has a single remake. Ps4 had a remaster of the last of us near its launch. Spider-Man remaster costs 20 bucks stand alone, beyond reasonable. Yes Microsoft put out a free upgrade for gears 5. At the same time though, maybe it’s because no one would have bought a remastered gears 5? Or any Microsoft game really?

c)

The single remake currently on ps5 was done by an external studio. Do you think that slowed down first party releases? I hope not.

70$ for dlc levels of content:

what are you talking about?

Sony were not ready to release the ps5:

Even if we only end up getting spider man mm, Astro bots, demons souls, sack boy, returnal, ratchet and clank, and death loop by the end of this year, I beg you to name a launch year for a console with a better exclusive line up?

As for the os, I’m sure they could have had a better ui if they copy and pasted it as MS did. They tried a few new things. It will get better as it does. People cried the ps4s ui was worse than the ps3s on launch. It’s been 5 months.
Considering Spiderman is ps4 dlc and souls is a ps3 remaster they are not exclusive. The ps2 has a few words about best first year ever lol no contest. Hell the ps5 is not in the dreamcast weight class for first year.

J53OyO5.jpg

@phil_t98
@Calverz

I'm not sure what the actual hardware market is like but I'm convinced the issue lies in the bug with updates on external storage. I think it happens when you move from internal to external, and then try to update. It just won't do it. Which means you have to move it back to the internal SSD and then update it. Happened twice now with RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077. You get an error notification each time you log in, then you can't update the game without an error. Only fix is to retransfer, update, transfer back. The fact we haven't had this patched since November seems to indicate a bigger/more troublesome issue to fix imo. This is obviously just speculation from experience though. But it wouldn't be great to release additional storage and then people can't update their games so sounds plausible.

It must leave like an origin file or lock file on the original destination drive which means it can't update after being moved I think.

patch25gjx1.jpg

patch12pjis.jpg

patch3r7j02.jpg
That happened to me with GTA V. The update notification was there before I transferred to external. After I transferred to external, I got the can't install error. To fix, I cancelled the update, then had it check again. I didn't need to move back and forth.

Fredrik

I wonder what was worse. Having a new thread every single day about gamepass being the second coming of jesus or the downfall of earth or people speculating in newly created threads every day about Sony being doomed, because of feelings and tarot card reading.
Lol yeah the board clearly need a meltdown OT.

You’ll be fine OP. Just relax and play some games.

And PSVR2 will soon come to save the day! (Just bought an Oculus Quest 2, VR is aaawesome!)

Renozokii

Considering Spiderman is ps4 dlc and souls is a ps3 remaster they are not exclusive. The ps2 has a few words about best first year ever lol no contest. Hell the ps5 is not in the dreamcast weight class for first year.

J53OyO5.jpg
I mean miles morales is factually not dlc even if you wish it to be. Demons souls is not a remaster but a brick by brick remake. How is it not an exclusive? Where else are you playing it? Pc? Xbox? Switch? How do you know what the first year of the ps5 looks like so confidently when most of the gses

If the ps5s first year of exclusives (including timed exclusive since you are including them) consists of Astro bots, demons souls, miles morales, sack boy, death loop, returnal, ratchet and clank, oddworld, little devil inside, Kena bridge of spirits, and at least one of gt7, gow, or most likely horizon, then yes, I don’t see why it isn’t in contention unless we are just going to plug our ears, close our eyes, and yell “NOSTALGIA!”

It also comes down to subjectivity and reality. Game budgets are multiple times higher now then they were for those games and take longer than ever to make. If Sony comes even close to the ps2s year one releases that’s an incredible feat, and yet they arguably are. It’s a wait and see situation since we are about 7 months from year one being over.

Finally I’ll say if your example for better launch line ups is the ps2 (literal best selling console of all time), and the Dreamcast (only way to think that is pure overblown nostalgia) then cool. You admit it’s doing just fine.

J53OyO5.jpg

Every console goes through this early "idle" stage though. I'll happily wager my 1 Ethereum coin on the fact that we'll some big guns firing by Christmas.

Edit: funny story, back in ~2001, while I was at lunch in Uni, I snagged a copy of GTA III from the shelf in Big W on launch day in Australia just as a store attendant was taking copies off the shelf. It was banned temporarily for some rubbish reason apparently.

Double edit: here's a link https://www.zdnet.com/article/grand-theft-auto-iii-banned-in-australia/

"Grand Theft Auto 3 is now officially banned in Australia, following a second analysis by the OFLC's Classification Review Board. The game will be removed from retail shelves and it is now illegal for it to be offered for sale. "

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've always thought it was interesting how tightly MS held to PlayStation after the last 8 or so years of taking a beating.

The 2:1 ratio was actually an impressive feat from MS considering how bad their output has been.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am not that much of a gamer anymore because I don’t have much time, but I like to stay informed and I will sit and play a good game every once in a while.

ok, so I’ll be straight with this one. Sony really reminds me of last gen MS and I mean that in a bad way. I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest. To much negative press, lack of new good info etc. I don’t know, maybe it’s my idea. I’ve been with Sony since PS2, I also had some MS and Nintendo consoles in the meantime (GameCube, wii, wiiu, Xbox 360, xbone) but PlayStation was my main always. It’s the first time I have this feeling.
I didn’t feel like this even with PS3 at launch. Is it my idea or not? What’s your opinion?

Jim Ryan me if this already exists.

CanineOldGalapagospenguin-size_restricted.gif

You need to eat with your hands instead of being fed by pseudo journos.

Fredrik

I've always thought it was interesting how tightly MS held to PlayStation after the last 8 or so years of taking a beating.

The 2:1 ratio was actually an impressive feat from MS considering how bad their output has been.
It all depends on what games you play. As a racing fan I threw in the towel on Playstation mid last gen, while MS released 6 Forza games over one generation we only got one Gran Turismo and it was online focused and I don’t pay for online, and they closed Evolution.
For me Sony is far behind and has been for quite a while. Although, MS is messing up quite badly right now as well. Gamepass is great but where is Forza???

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What kinda stupid thread is this? OP’s thread privlege should be removed.
Its the type of person who's football team has won the Premier league the season before and the following season the same team has drew their first two games of the season and are sitting below midway in the table.
"Sack the manager" " I can see us being relegated this year" etc after 2 games.
Idiots.

longdi

Banned
Playstation fans like to abscond Jimbo for the faults, because he is at CEO level.
But imo he is the one who sets the tone, the vision, and hires people who follows this path. The sad part is jim probably doesnt game much. And his vision may brings short term profits, but long term questions...

It does seem Ps5 is less gamers feedback orientated and back to more top down driven.

In a sense, we see previous gen MS in parts and also as mentioned by Warnen Warnen , abit of Sega with the wrestle for power and differences in idealogy.
The sum of parts just makes more to stay on fence. 🤷‍♀️

Zoro7

Banned
Playstation fans like to abscond Jimbo for the faults, because he is at CEO level.
But imo he is the one who sets the tone, the vision, and hires people who follows this path. The sad part is jim probably doesnt game much. And his vision may brings short term profits, but long term questions...

It does seem Ps5 is less gamers feedback orientated and back to more top down driven.

In a sense, we see previous gen MS in parts and also as mentioned by Warnen Warnen , abit of Sega with the wrestle for power and differences in idealogy.
The sum of parts just makes more to stay on fence. 🤷‍♀️
Oh be quiet.

Vote with your wallets if you want course correction.

Or stop asking for Jim Ryan resignation if everything is hunky Dory.

Xbox has come strong this generation cause last gen people voted with their wallets. It forced them to take pro consumer decisions.

LiquidRex

It all depends on what games you play. As a racing fan I threw in the towel on Playstation mid last gen, while MS released 6 Forza games over one generation we only got one Gran Turismo and it was online focused and I don’t pay for online, and they closed Evolution.
For me Sony is far behind and has been for quite a while. Although, MS is messing up quite badly right now as well. Gamepass is great but where is Forza???
Tbh GT7 is going to have to be pretty special for me to ever invest in a Sony Racer again, Drive Club in my opinion was excellent and the talent at the studio was second to none, but after a problematic launch Sony just weren't interested.... 🤦‍♂️

twilo99

I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest.

From what I can see the only thing different this time around is that Microsoft seem to actually care?

The xbox project always felt like a side project that they didn't really care about all that much so it was never really any real competition to the playstation brand.

Now, suddenly they are buying big studios, have extremely competitive hardware/pricing, game pass, etc. and its catching people off guard. xbox doesn't seem to be a side project any more .. it graduated to one of the main ones and that guy spencer has access to some real money now.

Sony America remind me of SEGA America. Jim is the new Tom.
No doubt when it all goes wrong, Jim will say it's all Japan fault, how he was offered the Series X hardware, offered Gamepass how he was forced to close studios put games on PC Ect.. Ect LOL ;)

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
PlayStation is now performing better than they or any other console maker ever perfomed in terms of revenue or in consoles sold, games sold, game subscription services sold, GOTY awards won and are the pioneers of VR and game streaming in console.

They also release more big and small exclusives every year than the other console makers, the games they publish sell better and are better rated than ever did before for them, most years they are a top 3 big publisher on Metacritic.

Even if in the middle of a pandemic and with supply issues, PS5 had a gaming history record console launch beating the PS4 gaming history record console launch. Their consoles are sold out globally and when stores receive new stock gets sold out in a few minutes, which leads to think record sales will continue specially once they get rid of the lack of semiconductors issue that doesn't allow them to increase their manufacturing and supply.

They mentioned that plan to continue growing most of their 1st party studios (who as of now each one of them work on multiple games at the same time), to make studio acquisitions, to port old PS4 (mentioned PS4, not PS5) games to PC and to be working on a next gen PS Now and PSVR2 to improve the areas where they can improve their first version we saw in the PS4 generation (but don't expect them to give away for free all their AAA day one, MS does this kamikaze strategy temporally because they are desperate to show some good metric).

They downsized a studio who wasn't capable of developing a single sales hit after decades of history and dozens of unprofitable games including the several recent ones that were a big money pit, in order to focus that studio into their team that made a better job recently and has a lot of potential.

They merged their regional marketing, 2nd party publishing and localization teams (not only the ones in Japan) to have a single, unified global vision and strategy for the console and all 1st and 2nd party games. This is something other very successful brands like Apple or many top publishers do, and helps to optimize costs and to be more effective, so with the same money they will get better results and will reduce paperwork and fights between regional offices.

Small, more experimental, country specific 2nd party full exclusive games now will be handled by Shuhei Yoshida as timed console exclusive indies, being cheaper and less risky for Sony, which allows them to help more exclusive indies for the same (or less) money, and also giving these devs a better deal because selfpublishing they earn a bigger revenue share, keep their IP and can earn extra revenue in other platforms, plus more creative freedom but still getting a huge marketing push from Sony.

So by all metrics they are doing a wonderful job and are on a growing trend, and have a strategy that makes sense to continue growing, dominating the market and releasing even more and better games than before. Maybe, and we still have to see how, in 5-10 years Microsoft may be an issue, but as of now Sony highly dominates them in all fronts including where MS is making their all-in bet: game subscriptions. Sony has way more subscribers and generate way more money with them.

They also have been very generous recently with the PS Plus Collection to welcome PS5 users with many of the best games of the best generation, and this spring they are giving away for free (no PS Plus required) around a dozen of great games including Ratchet and Horizon.

Sure, there are several noisy fanboys in the forums and the gaming press many of them screaming with fake concerns or being wrong because don't know or understand the full picture, but Sony is doing and will continue doing a great job.
Bu bur David Jaffe..

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Calm down, nothing is going to change overnight and we haven't even reached 6 months since PS5 was launched. Sony will have a full generation to prove they still got it and that they know how to deliver good entertainment, or to show that they've lost their way.

Last edited:

J53OyO5.jpg
Dreamcast kicks its ass with sonic adventure, soul calibur, code veronica, shenmue, crazy taxi, grandia 2,skies of arcadia, power stone and nfl 2k, nba2k, mdk2, dead or alive 2 and ready to rumble boxing. The dreamcasts first year absolutely shit on the ps2s first year.

Dreamcast kicks its ass with sonic adventure, soul calibur, code veronica, shenmue, crazy taxi, grandia 2,skies of arcadia, power stone and nfl 2k, nba2k, mdk2, dead or alive 2 and ready to rumble boxing. The dreamcasts first year absolutely shit on the ps2s first year.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Man i remember both lineups.....That was a god tier sony lineup.....they simply forgot after the ps2 how to have a great launch year 1 and 2

Sega....i could never afford the dreamcast on launch at that time and by the time i could the console was dead and i got to experience all those games later and cheaper.....was sooo good

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Man i remember both lineups.....That was a god tier sony lineup.....they simply forgot after the ps2 how to have a great launch year 1 and 2

Sega....i could never afford the dreamcast on launch at that time and by the time i could the console was dead and i got to experience all those games later and cheaper.....was sooo good
Dreamcast is special to me. I got it at launch at 15 spent all my money on that and soul calibur. Couldn't pay for a second controller or vmu. I invited my friends to watch sou calibur and pass the controller. It didn't even feel real. The game felt like a dream.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I am not that much of a gamer anymore because I don’t have much time, but I like to stay informed and I will sit and play a good game every once in a while.

ok, so I’ll be straight with this one. Sony really reminds me of last gen MS and I mean that in a bad way. I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest. To much negative press, lack of new good info etc. I don’t know, maybe it’s my idea. I’ve been with Sony since PS2, I also had some MS and Nintendo consoles in the meantime (GameCube, wii, wiiu, Xbox 360, xbone) but PlayStation was my main always. It’s the first time I have this feeling.
I didn’t feel like this even with PS3 at launch. Is it my idea or not? What’s your opinion?

Jim Ryan me if this already exists.
They remind me a bit of PS3 Sony now. However, that ended up being a good thing. When they were backed into a corner that gen they ended up putting out some of the most unique games and pushing everything much further than any game on 360.

Zoro7

Banned
That worked out well for Sega didn’t it.

Bramble

Sony reminds me of PS4 Sony. We already got some great exclusives and PS5 only games, we're getting Returnal this month and Rift Apart in June. Games like DG and GoT are running at 60fps and are looking better than most next/cross gen games. FFVII gets a full fledged PS5 version later this year. God of War and Horizon are coming within the next 2 years. TLoU2 will get a PS5 version and multiplayer. We got some great third party games coming up like FC6 and RE8. Good times. All the fake drama is enjoyable though.

Sony

Nintendo
Every negative press Sony has gotten in the past few weeks is a result of either rumor and or speculation (the blockbuster thing) or a rumor/speculation based on an action (VITA/PS3 Store shutdown). Wait for an event and allow Sony to adress the latter and let the games show wether or not the former is true. But all this bashing based on who knows what is not productive.

I can't believe that people are still calling Miles Morales DLC...

I actually slightly prefer MM to the original game. It basically has the same quality of writing/story, condensed into a game with less filler and bloat. I have so many games to play, and Insomniac did a great job of telling a very enjoyable story on top of a fun game in around 10 hours, which is perfect for me. I don't need 20 hours of filler on top of every game I play, just for the sake of padding it out.

Bramble

I can't believe that people are still calling Miles Morales DLC...

I actually slightly prefer MM to the original game. It basically has the same quality of writing/story, condensed into a game with less filler and bloat. I have so many games to play, and Insomniac did a great job of telling a very enjoyable story on top of a fun game in around 10 hours, which is perfect for me. I don't need 20 hours of filler on top of every game I play, just for the sake of padding it out.

Same people fanboy about The Medium, Gears 5 and Hivebusters, which take about as long to complete all together than Miles alone. It's hilarious. Just because a game is spin-off doesn't make it DLC. You can even buy it stand alone on a disc. That's not DLC. That's just a game that's a little shorter than the main game. Not every open world game needs to take 60 hours minimum.

ZywyPL

Banned
Every negative press Sony has gotten in the past few weeks is a result of either rumor and or speculation (the blockbuster thing) or a rumor/speculation based on an action (VITA/PS3 Store shutdown). Wait for an event and allow Sony to adress the latter and let the games show wether or not the former is true. But all this bashing based on who knows what is not productive.

But you have to say, after Ryan's multiple interview missteps/spins like "we believe in generations", "who would want to play those old games" etc. people have all the right to believe in those rumors.

Valentino

Is this one of those threads where OP plays ditsy and blasé about the reality of a situation and gives us their “views as an outsider”. I get vibes someone thought they could manifest a narrative from the disgruntled reaction people had from the Last of Us/SonyBend news last week.....

Bramble

But you have to say, after Ryan's multiple interview missteps/spins like "we believe in generations", "who would want to play those old games" etc. people have all the right to believe in those rumors.

Maybe you should read that interview again. His statement got pulled out of context big time.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

On top of that, we got Miles and OG Spidey at 60fps with ray tracing, 3D audio and full DualSense support and PS5 only games like Demon's Souls, Destruction All Stars and Astro with Returnal and Rift Apart in the upcoming months. You realize we have it better (WAY BETTER) now than when PS4 launched?

You people are reading to much into it.

Do I want Horizon and God of War to be PS5 only? Hell yeah. Do I understand why they don't ignore a 120 million player base in the first year with big games like these? Sure. God of War still needs to be confirmed for PS4, by the way.

Last edited:
Maybe you should read that interview again. His statement got pulled out of context big time.

On top of that, we got Miles and OG Spidey at 60fps with ray tracing, 3D audio and full DualSense support and PS5 only games like Demon's Souls, Destruction All Stars and Astro with Returnal and Rift Apart in the upcoming months. You realize we have it better (WAY BETTER) now than when PS4 launched?

You people are reading to much into it.

Do I want Horizon and God of War to be PS5 only? Hell yeah. Do I understand why they don't ignore a 120 million player base in the first year with big games like these? Sure. God of War still needs to be confirmed for PS4, by the way.
Honestly, at first, I was a bit miffed when they said MM and Horizon were also coming to PS4. However, seeing how good a job they did with MM's visuals on PS5, I'm not even worried anymore. Sony's studios are technical wizards and I'm sure Horizon will look just as 'next-gen' on PS5 as a next-gen exclusive game would.

martino

Dude now in charge of PlayStation made the brand completely dominant in Europe and has now led one of, if not the most successful console launches in history. Dude still in charge of Xbox ended the gen on one of the weakest notes I’ve ever seen and didn’t see a single great game come out under his leadership, nor a bump in console sales, Is now being endlessly sucked off because he convinced the trillion dollar company he works for to not shut down his division after failing massively, but let him spend 10 billion dollars in what is frankly a desperate attempt to buy their way into dominance, or should I say relevance. And by all counts they are still a couple tiers below Nintendo and Sony.
FilthyTotalAlligator-small.gif

can you be more hyperbolic for both side ?

Bramble

Honestly, at first, I was a bit miffed when they said MM and Horizon were also coming to PS4. However, seeing how good a job they did with MM's visuals on PS5, I'm not even worried anymore. Sony's studios are technical wizards and I'm sure Horizon will look just as 'next-gen' on PS5 as a next-gen exclusive game would.

I don't fully agree. At some point they said they wanted Aloy to be able to fly a Stormbird but they couldn't do it because of texture streaming limitations. Same goes for limiting Spider-Man swinging speed. I'm pretty sure we would get different games if they were PS5 only.

I don't fully agree. At some point they said they wanted Aloy to be able to fly a Stormbird but they couldn't do it because of texture streaming limitations. Same goes for limiting Spider-Man swinging speed. I'm pretty sure we would get different games if they were PS5 only.
Some instances are going to be more difficult than others, but for the latter for example, can't they just have a higher max swinging speed on the PS5? I would assume going forward, it will be PS5-focused development, and then they figure out how to change the game to make it work on PS4. Sony's devs are so good, they'll always find a way to make it work.

I think these initial games are so close to the start of the generation too, that we'll easily get another game at least from all of these studios which is a full PS5 exclusive.

Top Bottom