• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, Sony now reminds me of previous gen MS

BootsLoader

Banned
It's an american company now, they're not japanese anymore.

Plus, they truly believe they don't have to move an inch for consumers anymore after last gen's success.

Microsoft is giving a better deal to consumers because they're behind. If Sony doesn't move, Microsoft will steal their spot.
Thanks for the nice and serious reply like a normal person that can have a decent conversation.

yurinka

I am not that much of a gamer anymore because I don’t have much time, but I like to stay informed and I will sit and play a good game every once in a while.

ok, so I’ll be straight with this one. Sony really reminds me of last gen MS and I mean that in a bad way. I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest. To much negative press, lack of new good info etc. I don’t know, maybe it’s my idea. I’ve been with Sony since PS2, I also had some MS and Nintendo consoles in the meantime (GameCube, wii, wiiu, Xbox 360, xbone) but PlayStation was my main always. It’s the first time I have this feeling.
I didn’t feel like this even with PS3 at launch. Is it my idea or not? What’s your opinion?

Jim Ryan me if this already exists.
PlayStation is now performing better than they or any other console maker ever perfomed in terms of revenue or in consoles sold, games sold, game subscription services sold, GOTY awards won and are the pioneers of VR and game streaming in console.

They also release more big and small exclusives every year than the other console makers, the games they publish sell better and are better rated than ever did before for them, most years they are a top 3 big publisher on Metacritic.

Even if in the middle of a pandemic and with supply issues, PS5 had a gaming history record console launch beating the PS4 gaming history record console launch. Their consoles are sold out globally and when stores receive new stock gets sold out in a few minutes, which leads to think record sales will continue specially once they get rid of the lack of semiconductors issue that doesn't allow them to increase their manufacturing and supply.

They mentioned that plan to continue growing most of their 1st party studios (who as of now each one of them work on multiple games at the same time), to make studio acquisitions, to port old PS4 (mentioned PS4, not PS5) games to PC and to be working on a next gen PS Now and PSVR2 to improve the areas where they can improve their first version we saw in the PS4 generation (but don't expect them to give away for free all their AAA day one, MS does this kamikaze strategy temporally because they are desperate to show some good metric).

They downsized a studio who wasn't capable of developing a single sales hit after decades of history and dozens of unprofitable games including the several recent ones that were a big money pit, in order to focus that studio into their team that made a better job recently and has a lot of potential.

They merged their regional marketing, 2nd party publishing and localization teams (not only the ones in Japan) to have a single, unified global vision and strategy for the console and all 1st and 2nd party games. This is something other very successful brands like Apple or many top publishers do, and helps to optimize costs and to be more effective, so with the same money they will get better results and will reduce paperwork and fights between regional offices.

Small, more experimental, country specific 2nd party full exclusive games now will be handled by Shuhei Yoshida as timed console exclusive indies, being cheaper and less risky for Sony, which allows them to help more exclusive indies for the same (or less) money, and also giving these devs a better deal because selfpublishing they earn a bigger revenue share, keep their IP and can earn extra revenue in other platforms, plus more creative freedom but still getting a huge marketing push from Sony.

So by all metrics they are doing a wonderful job and are on a growing trend, and have a strategy that makes sense to continue growing, dominating the market and releasing even more and better games than before. Maybe, and we still have to see how, in 5-10 years Microsoft may be an issue, but as of now Sony highly dominates them in all fronts including where MS is making their all-in bet: game subscriptions. Sony has way more subscribers and generate way more money with them.

They also have been very generous recently with the PS Plus Collection to welcome PS5 users with many of the best games of the best generation, and this spring they are giving away for free (no PS Plus required) around a dozen of great games including Ratchet and Horizon.

Sure, there are several noisy fanboys in the forums and the gaming press many of them screaming with fake concerns or being wrong because don't know or understand the full picture, but Sony is doing and will continue doing a great job.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
All of this 'Sony is Doomed' shit, is the same shite i heard at the end of the PSwii60 generation.

"Sony going bankrupt"
"Sony selling real estate"
"There will be no PS5" (lulz)
"PS4 will be underpowered"

None of which Sony responded to, probably because they knew it was baloney. And at the same time we had reviewers fawning and falling over themselves to praise:

"power of the cloud"
"Always online is a good thing and here's why"
"Most powerful xbox ever"
"Beta tested in the future"

Meanwhile, the MS shills were in full force.

Adam Orths : "I won't buy a vacuum cleaner because the power goes out"
Mattrick " We have a console for people who don't want to play online"
Penello (On this very forum!!!) "Power of the cloud technical fellows, crackdown 3 will be amazing"

Some people must have the memory of a goldfish, or be new to gaming 🤷‍♂️

yurinka

So after all you all tell me to wait and that everything is far better this time (considering all 3 companies) in terms of competition. Ok so it’s all in my head? Maybe I’m overthinking it.
Each one on their own style and in a different way, all 3 are doing a better job than they were before. Specially Sony.
And all 3 seem to have a bright, hyping future. Specially Sony.

HeresJohnny

Part of it has been the colossal goat fuck of a launch with no hardware and nothing to play even if you have one.
But yeah, this does not feel like the same company that made the PS4. It sucks, because I really believe GamPass is cancer and I don’t want to see MS gain dominance with such a plan. But my gut is starting to think in spite of a lead to start with, I think MS is going to at least make a good comeback this go around.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Hugare

Crazy idea, I know, but how about ... waiting instead of overreacting based on especulations? Crazy, I know

Because the gen has just started.
During covid, so production is fucked up. It's not a Sony only problem, see how many games and consoles Nintendo or Microsoft are producing.

Even so, Sony launched the PS5 with the exclusive Demon's Souls (a 92 MC game) and have Returnal and Ratchet & Clank for 2021 (Horizon wont be 2021 and we know it). So, pretty good lineup. Again, compare it with Nintendo or MS.

There are rumors of doom and gloom about internal affairs, but looking at what Sony is actually offering right now, they are giving us no reason to complain.

You probably have enough problems in your life as is during pandemic. Dont worry about multi billion dolar company's future, specially when its actually fine at the moment.

Wait to cross that bridge when we actually get there

Kokoloko85

Im not a fan of certain decisions they have been making but atm alot of them are rumours. But no lol, not even close MS last generation.

All depends on the next e3 like show for Sony and what happens.
Do I like what is happening with Japan Studios, no but only certain members are leaving.

I hope they still support Kojima, I still hope they make games like Booodborne and Tokyo Jungle.

I think they made the right decision to not make Days gone 2, as much as its a good game, they cant make sequels to every I.P. They need some new I.P’s and make sequels for the more successful ones like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and Spiderman etc.

But Sony is investing in Japanese games like Final Fantasy 16 and Forspoken and making them Exclusive. That to me is more important than Japan Studios making Knack or Gravity Rush etc....

Last edited:

Plus, they truly believe they don't have to move an inch for consumers anymore after last gen's success.

Microsoft is giving a better deal to consumers because they're behind. If Sony doesn't move, Microsoft will steal their spot.
Isn't that what always happens though? Sony had success with PS2, then got cocky for PS3 and allowed microsoft to dominate the space. Then microsoft hot cocky and allowed Sony to dominate. Now it's happening again to Sony.

It was the same for Nintendo, they had success with the Wii and did minimal efforts to continue that success so we got Wii U. Now we have the switch which is practically a surrender from them because now they don't have a handheld anymore. After the success of DS they only added fucking 3D lmao. If they would have had decent competition the 3DS would have been a huge failure.

Rayderism

Biggest thorn in my side with Sony right now is how they gimped PSN. Removing pics, vids and sorting options, as well as no way to easily see new DLC releases on the web PSN was the most bone-headed thing I've ever seen. They even removed the ability to see newly released DLC on the PS4's version of PSN.....gah! What are they thinking?! I won't even get into the dumping of everything PS3 and older.......that's just.....whatever.

Problem is, with the user base they have, they won't even notice that all this HAS to be hurting their full potential for profit. I mean, it has seriously reduced the amount of stuff I buy on PSN now, and that has to be the case with many other gamers too.

They've bought up various devs......why don't they buy an IT team that actually knows how to make a useful storefront?

dalekjay

Sony is just quiet planning I think, because anything Sony says will be put under a microscope, so better be quiet.
but Jim Ryan what he still doing there

I love all my PlayStation consoles, are my "main" consoles, you know why ? JAPAN SUPPORT.

So u can laugh at my face, but im with op, and i said that months ago...It really looks like what MS did.

Only fanboys are happy, because, of course, idolatry blinds them.

Platinum is not happy, no japan studio...Japanese companies aren't happy.

As i follow games, I don't care about Sony, i will always follow the console with major JP support.

Last edited:

chasimus

You are correct, you are not much of a gamer. No offense, but you're falling into the media trap of negativity. It's what makes them money: clickbait and complaining. The first couple years of a console are always barren of new stuff, and to add to it, new management is doing things a little different that isn't making a certain crowd too happy. That's also typical. People generally want results right now, and when they don't get it, they complain. It's always happened and always will happen. Just know that with the amount of talent each side has now is good for the industry, and great games will soon start flowing!

K' Dash

I love all my PlayStation consoles, are my "main" consoles, you know why ? JAPAN SUPPORT.

So u can laugh at my face, but im with op, and i said that months ago...It really looks like what MS did.

Only fanboys are happy, because, of course, idolatry blinds them.

Platinum is not happy, no japan studio...Japanese companies aren't happy.

As i follow games, I don't care about Sony, i will always follow the console with major JP support.

You'll be needing a Switch pronto, brother.

Derktron

Banned
This thread reminds me of ResetEra where opinions on Sony were criticized, while opinions on Nintendo or Xbox were accepted. Damn shame, judging by this thread people can’t criticize Sony or accept that yes Sony can have as much flaws as both Microsoft and Nintendo have. That is what’s wrong with the gaming community then yall talk about people being shills. Talk about ignorance.

ZywyPL

Banned
More like Sony being arrogant Sony once again... Although as someone mentioned, they have a vision of their brand's future and are slowly but surely executing it, and that future is cinematic experience whether someone likes it or not, hence translating their games into movies/shows, and possibly vice versa in the future.

But I have to say, it does feel like both companies made a 180 degree turn compared to PS360 days, where it was the Xbox that was an obviously focused brand, on the online 'dudebro' shooters to be precise, whereas Sony was the one who offered a bit of everything for everyone, and today it's the Xbox who's the go-to brand when you seek variety of conted, whereas Sony is fully focused on TPP story-driven games.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
This thread reminds me of ResetEra where opinions on Sony were criticized, while opinions on Nintendo or Xbox were accepted. Damn shame, judging by this thread people can’t criticize Sony or accept that yes Sony can have as much flaws as both Microsoft and Nintendo have. That is what’s wrong with the gaming community then yall talk about people being shills. Talk about ignorance.
I do not give a F. About any company but if someone make a thread comparing Sony to MS on the previous generation yeah... Sony definitely has less flaws compared to what MS did back then with always on-line ... putting their employees going into forums...etc

People have short memories!

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Wtf are you smoking? Sony is not even doing half the crap Microsoft done to us with the Xbox one! People really have bad memory!

so no the comparisons not even close.
But yeah something is off with PS compared to the PS4 era!
FACTS! Xbox gamers had it rough in the initial years of the Xbox One. The only thing you can criticize Playstation for is not having a great social media strategy in recent times. Even that is arguable though.

Zeroing

Banned
FACTS! Xbox gamers had it rough in the initial years of the Xbox One. The only thing you can criticize Playstation for is not having a great social media strategy in recent times. Even that is arguable though.
That is correct! They do not have anyone who can we gamers can relate! They did but not now. They are in a big change internally and yeah things seem off but comparing this now to MS on the previous generation? It’s insane!

Redlancet

Banned
I am not that much of a gamer anymore because I don’t have much time, but I like to stay informed and I will sit and play a good game every once in a while.

ok, so I’ll be straight with this one. Sony really reminds me of last gen MS and I mean that in a bad way. I feel like something is off this time but I can’t explain that to be honest. To much negative press, lack of new good info etc. I don’t know, maybe it’s my idea. I’ve been with Sony since PS2, I also had some MS and Nintendo consoles in the meantime (GameCube, wii, wiiu, Xbox 360, xbone) but PlayStation was my main always. It’s the first time I have this feeling.
I didn’t feel like this even with PS3 at launch. Is it my idea or not? What’s your opinion?

my opinion its that your post its just hyperbole not cemented with any reallity at all,just dreams of fanboys wishing sony doom and gloom

RileyPust

Neo Member
I think that Microsoft has closed the gap, that's all. At the start of last gen the PS4 seemed like the obvious choice for anyone who wanted a larger library of games (they didn't have a lot at launch but they were seeking out partnerships with third parties and indies). Microsoft was really only appealing to the diehard Xbox fans.

Now Microsoft feels like they're actively trying to court the traditional gamer rather than trying to sell us on some new way to play games. They're doing everything Sony did ("it's all about the games") whilst Sony is just continuing with what made them successful last time. As someone who hasn't jumped on board with either company; this gen seems like it's worth it to wait and see.

TLDR; Sony isn't regressing, Microsoft is just catching up.

S0ULZB0URNE

With the way they are going..... putting games on PC and XBox already. I have no doubt.

Right now it's just hardware dominance that is keeping them on top but if the mainstream get wind of how things are, it wont be long to change and it will all be at the feet of Hermen and Jim.

Jim Ryan, Hermen and friends right now;

gas gasoline GIF
They are putting older PS4 games on PC.
The ONLY reason ONE game is also on other platforms is the MLB forced there hand.
You really need to stop.

Barakov

Yea thats true. Maybe third parties just arent ready.
I definitely think last year was just a soft launch for these systems. Between the pandemic, scaplers and the semiconductor shortage we won't see these thing launch for real until this fall.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Gentle

Banned
You are just a vicitim of believing social media and reality is the same. They are not.

The current and near-future pipeline from Sony looks solid.

And we have an article that three studios - one that we had never heard about - got their ideas rejected over the last two years. That is as close to a nothingburger you can come in a creative business.

Will Sony do poorly or good? I have no idea. But if you are interested in big bidget exclusive games and solid third party support, it is still the place to be.

Choose MS for value (but still a lacking catalogue).

Choose Nintendo for their exclusives (but much smaller third party support) and mobility.

Not that hard to be honest.
This is exactly right. You have to look at what you enjoy not just what is being buzzed about. Too often I do not see the games represented in any chat or forum that I really love.
Celeste should have been a stop the presses game and tell the whole world how great it is . Control. Maquette. The Witness. Wiltons Warehouse. Hades is fine but no one said anything about how great bastion or transistor are.
I am waiting to pick up a PS5 for its VR bundle. Those new controllers - the backwards compatibility with PS4 games. Dreams in vr with those motion controls. Sony is doing fine- if they would just get their supply chain worked out.

FrankWza

Op got a case of marXeting.
You gotta be careful out here in these uncertain times.
It looks just like marketing, but the k is off.
Known cure is critically acclaimed blockbuster exclusives and franchises that span generations with continued success and consumer confidence. They’re working on making these available to more companies but may need help from certain license holders. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Jesus tapdancing christ.

The absolute state of this fucking forum these days.

I mean...FUCK

748616.jpg

Renozokii

Soooo with Sony I got the two best parts of this new gen hardware with the controller and ssd. I’ve gotten a remake of the only souls borne game I never played that became a graphical showcase and probably the only true next gen looking game on either console right now. I got a free tech demo that doubles as one of the best games so far this gen with Astro bots free of charge. I got spider man mm which is flat out fun as fuck. I got 20 games on the instant game collection that is a denser collection of higher quality games than game pass. Not as good a deal obviously but... it also cost me 0 extra from ps plus. Horizon is coming free, as did ratchet a bunch of indies, and a few vr games that are all completely free of charge, not even ps plus required. Some of the best months for ps plus games Sony’s ever done with at least one game I want to play every single month so far. In the future I have returnal to look forward which is the smaller, riskier type of game Sony apparently hates now, ratchet which looks fantastic, and almost definitely at least one more game by the end of this year. And unlike Microsoft’s titles, ratchet and returnal are fully next gen and will take full advantage of the new hardware. I have announced titles that I know for a fact will be released within a year or two to look forward to, just sequels to some of the best selling and critically acclaimed games of last gen. No biggie I suppose.

With an Xbox series x you have a single next gen only title in the medium to play, which is mediocre at best and actually runs like ass. You have one new feature with the instant resume thing, because who wouldn’t love for games to save what they are doing to the second so they can have no idea what’s going on the next time they try to play a game. Just like people with beastly PCs always minimize their game, not save and quit out. In the future you have a few games with cgi trailers to look forward to while hoping MS doesn’t continue to fuck their first party games up, and you get to continue crossing your fingers hoping halo infinite isn’t ass after it got literally laughed into a year long delay. And who couldn’t forget gamepass! What better way to usher in a new gen than playing the exact same games you’ve been playing, but slightly upgraded!

Gonna edit this in. I also get psvr2 to look forward to, because you know.. it’s nice not to have to buy/build a decent as a console gamer just to experience cool new technology.

Last edited:
Sony have gone from a confident company that was happy to take a chance on new ip and try new things to a company that releases HD remakes of old games and charges you $70 for dlc level content

Sony were not ready to release the ps5 last year...that’s pretty clear from the missing features of the os and the release schedule

Renozokii

All of this 'Sony is Doomed' shit, is the same shite i heard at the end of the PSwii60 generation.

"Sony going bankrupt"
"Sony selling real estate"
"There will be no PS5" (lulz)
"PS4 will be underpowered"

None of which Sony responded to, probably because they knew it was baloney. And at the same time we had reviewers fawning and falling over themselves to praise:

"power of the cloud"
"Always online is a good thing and here's why"
"Most powerful xbox ever"
"Beta tested in the future"

Meanwhile, the MS shills were in full force.

Adam Orths : "I won't buy a vacuum cleaner because the power goes out"
Mattrick " We have a console for people who don't want to play online"
Penello (On this very forum!!!) "Power of the cloud technical fellows, crackdown 3 will be amazing"

Some people must have the memory of a goldfish, or be new to gaming 🤷‍♂️
Dude now in charge of PlayStation made the brand completely dominant in Europe and has now led one of, if not the most successful console launches in history. Dude still in charge of Xbox ended the gen on one of the weakest notes I’ve ever seen and didn’t see a single great game come out under his leadership, nor a bump in console sales, Is now being endlessly sucked off because he convinced the trillion dollar company he works for to not shut down his division after failing massively, but let him spend 10 billion dollars in what is frankly a desperate attempt to buy their way into dominance, or should I say relevance. And by all counts they are still a couple tiers below Nintendo and Sony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom