• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, how many have you bought something from the Epic Store.

Alandring

I have bought:
- Dangerous Driving
- Borderlands 3
- Chivalry 2

I haven't played any of those games. I only played two games on Epic Games Store, Troy and Twin Mirror (which I reviewed).

lmimmfn

I buy regularly, my internet costs 20euro per month for unlimited, that effectively gives me 20euro Epic credit. I build up internet credit, have 100euro atm and i just buy games on Epic for effectively free :)

Other than this setup i wouldnt use it, as it is the more games coming to Epic the better!

Last edited:

Yerd

Shadow Complex is the only game I have that I potentially paid for. I don't remember if it was a free game or I paid for it, back when it was new. Before the Epic game store even existed. It shows up in my list of owned games though.

I don't think I would have a problem buying anything from them. I just prefer steam because I already have 20 years of games through them. I don't like having to go anywhere else, also adding another place to potentially get hacked and get my info. I did play one of the free games and tried to play it in offline mode and it would not work. I liked it enough to by it, but I bought it on steam, because I know their offline mode works for me. That game did work in offline mode on steam.

I have as many of the free games as I could obtain, if I remember to check them. I feel like when I click on a game they offer for free, there is a new one a few days later.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
I've never understood the "PC storefront wars"....I'm not a PC gamer, but it seems unbelievably stupid.

What am I missing and why would you care?
it's simple, epic wanted to force pc gamers to use their store by taking games that otherwise would have come to steam hostage for 6 months to a year, pc gamers having access to all options in the world didn't take too kindly to that as we are not in a walled garden environment like console gamers and we don't have to put up with bullshit and be happy about it as we have actual meaningful choice.
they wanted to be popular without doing any work for it and it's obvious they have failed miserably, they fucked up so bad not even giving away a free game every week for 2+ years could save their image with the pc gaming community.

Hitman 3 for my son. Hades for me.

The premise of the thread, while I think tongue-in-cheek, is still strange to me. Epic is just like any other store. Inferior in some ways, but consistent free games fill the gap.

I've purchased a couple of games on sale. I will usually check Steam, Epic, and GOG for best price and then buy from whoever has the best deal. I know lots of people hate Epic, but it's not much different from Steam to me.

it's simple, epic wanted to force pc gamers to use their store by taking games that otherwise would have come to steam hostage for 6 months to a year, pc gamers having access to all options in the world didn't take too kindly to that as we are not in a walled garden environment like console gamers and we don't have to put up with bullshit and be happy about it as we have actual meaningful choice.
they wanted to be popular without doing any work for it and it's obvious they have failed miserably, they fucked up so bad not even giving away a free game every week for 2+ years could save their image with the pc gaming community.

So....you're upset that you had to click a different storefront to get games than the one you use mostly?....

Uhhh, I don't get it

noise36

Yup, used one of the vouchers a while back to get Hades cheap if I recall correctly.

Steam hasnt been good for many years, generally the most expensive place to buy anything.

i.e. remember when their sales were actually good?

I've never understood the "PC storefront wars"....I'm not a PC gamer, but it seems unbelievably stupid.

What am I missing and why would you care?
Me neither.

I've got like 38 games on there at this point. Got games on Battle Net, GOG or w/e it's called, and my Steam Library is a few hundred games heavy too lol. I just play games I don't really even understand the politics.

Getting a refund on the Epic Games Store was one of the fastest refunds I've ever gotten for a game. Money went back to my card in like 3 hours lol and the coupons have led to me getting some real good games for cheap when they're already on sale and I got to knock an extra 10 bucks off

Last edited:

Pidull

I only ever installed their client for a free copy of Shadow Complex years and years ago. Played it for a few minutes, found it boring, never touched it again.

No interest in their free storefront, never will have interest. If it's not on GOG.com, and not on Steam, I'm not interested.

I was gonna get Axiom Verge 2 on it... but I paid a few $ more to get it on PS5 instead... pure laziness, this happened to be where I sat when I decided to buy the game.

I have tons of free games on that store tho.

See I didn't even know this was the problem. Hell I miss the days when you could just get IP Addresses and play each other that way the same way we did on games like Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 and such(I dont play online games as much as I used to, are they still allowing this?) . So I can understand your angle. I kinda wish the clients didn't exist in the way they do now, it all feels a little bit restrictive in my opinion.

Kinda off topic but I miss gaming on the MSN Gaming Zone before Microsoft had "Live"...the communities on there were pretty dope

junguler

Banned
Yup, used one of the vouchers a while back to get Hades cheap if I recall correctly.

Steam hasnt been good for many years, generally the most expensive place to buy anything.

i.e. remember when their sales were actually good?
the only reason flash sales went away was because steam implemented their refund policy and it would be a shit show with everyone wanting to refund their 75% off game to buy it again at 90% or in some cases people would be buying a game dirt cheap, play an hour and refund it.
some people would have proffered to keep the flash sales and don't have refunds but that would also be a shit show as the EU was forcing steam to implement refunds and it would make the experience for people from the europe worse than other countries.
See I didn't even know this was the problem. Hell I miss the days when you could just get IP Addresses and play each other that way the same way we did on games like Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 and such(I dont play online games as much as I used to, are they still allowing this?) . So I can understand your angle. I kinda wish the clients didn't exist in the way they do now, it all feels a little bit restrictive in my opinion.

Kinda off topic but I miss gaming on the MSN Gaming Zone before Microsoft had "Live"...the communities on there were pretty dope
i think we are long past the times of games coming out complete and without the need of patching to make them playable, patches used to be optional back then and they improved an already complete and functional game. patches today are almost as big as the game itself and they are required to even run some of these games to begin with. it's a sad sorry state but one that we can't move away from.
game launchers and storefronts are kind of a necessity these days and i'm sure people wouldn't have any issues with using epic too if there wasn't any of those shitty stuff coming from them.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
I would if they had the games I wanted.

Games like SMT3, Nier Replicant, etc.. are region specific on Steam where I live (no "global" key code from 3rd party will work), are never on sale and are priced higher than other games.\
I'd say fuck Steam in my case.

To answer the question: Until now, only freebies.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So....you're upset that you had to click a different storefront to get games than the one you use mostly?....

Uhhh, I don't get it

You don't get it because you obviously don't know anything about the different storefronts. Steam has actually put money they've made into quality of life improvements for their customers. Epic's storefront is a steaming pile of manure.

Steam has:

Trading cards (some people like these)
Big Picture mode
Broadcasting/streaming options
Game-specific forums
Parental Controls
Library sharing
A MASSIVE library of games
Mobile app
Item trading and marketplace
Customizable user profiles
Review system
Media sharing
Customizable backgrounds for games via grid system
Library organization

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Epic Games Store has been around for almost three years now. They are a multi-billion dollar company who decided they would rather spend their money fighting Apple (and losing) over in-app purchases rather than enhancing their storefront. The two storefronts aren't in the same league by any stretch of the imagination. And yet, Epic is telling me that I have to use their crappy storefront in order to get Epic Games Store exclusive games. I'm not going to use a garbage storefront from a garbage company headed up by a garbage human being.

On topic, I have purchased zero games from Epic, but I get their free games every week. I have never played them, and I will never get their launcher. I only get these free games because Epic has to pay money for every free game that is claimed, and I want to do my part in helping them towards bankruptcy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom