• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF: I'm perfectly happy with my PS4, convince me to buy a PS5

odhiex

If you're happy with PS4 then good for you, OP. It is a fine console.

But if you consider buying a PS5, remember that you could play "almost every PS4 games" better. Plus, you are able to play PS5 only games onwards.

Noxxera

God of War. Then played a bit of demon souls. Both were OK, overall offering and wow factor of PS5 is disappointing.
I mean like literally every PS4 games run better on 5, not to mention load times, true 4k, 2.1 support etc etc. And the next-gen only games are starting to roll out. Ngl people staying with PS4 now if they can afford ps5 but wont I would look weirdly at. If you went from PS4 Pro to PS5 i can understand the wow factor isn't there cause PS4 Pro jumped ahead on the 4k wagon. If Sony had skipped the Pro I'm sure you'd get wowed by PS5. But yeah maybe the wow factor will show itself when there's PS5 exclusive games with bonker graphics coming out.

Edit:
Personally I'm confident I will get wowed when i purchase the PS5 cause I can definitely see the sub-4k solution the PS4 Pro is going with. Will be nice with true 4k. And the neat tricks hdmi 2.1 will bring. Aswell the sound and trigger thing. Game wise? Hell yeah they're gonna run smoother and I can play the stuff I wanna play (DS DC, FF7R DLC, Demons, Horizon and DLC) just the stuff i can think of top of my head. Don't get me wrong tho I dont expect it to be a huge leap from PS4 Pro graphics wise but atleast everything will look the best it can and run better.

Last edited:
I mean, doesn’t your PS4 sound like a jet engine when it’s running ? That’s annoyed me most about it personally.
Also, having games like Monster Hunter World run at 4K 60 is glorious.

For me that alone was worth it.

I loved my PS4 Pro and I am loving my PS5 even more. Only downgrades are the OS, lack of themes, and the DualSense. Still worth a purchase.

Surfheart

I won't hide that the latest sale reports really surprised me, as i see the ps5 as a console with a very slim offering, if you have a PS4 and don't want to spend 500 dollars to play the same stuff at 60fps.

So, am i missing something?
What are you all playing on PS5?
Are there exclusives I missed?

Sell me this console, Gaf.
Stick with your PS4!

How much a game is worth to you is not something we can answer. If you don't care about playing games with improvements, can't think of any next-gen exclusives you want to play and need convincing to upgrade then I think you have your answer.
Eh lets just not act like this generation is equal to those of the past when it comes to exclusive offerings...

His standards for buying one are based upon the standards we typically had in the past. No exclusives? Then you arent worth buying.

We lowered our standards to cope tbh.
Unless you are under the age of 22 and dont know this gen sucks.

Gamerguy84

We either get ps5pr0 in 2024 or 2025 latest, or there will be ps6 maybe in 2026, and since ps6 in 2026 seems out of the question coz of very long game dev cycles- aka it will probably come 2028-2030, u can be sure sony wont leave their audience with 2020 mashine for so long, it will definitely provide ppl with stronger option, just so less ppl jump to pc, which is pretty common occurance in the later period of every console gen.

Gamerguy84

If your happy stay where you are.

Although every PS4 game that is on PS5 is better. Like Days Gone is junk on 4 but great on 5.

But stay away for now because loading times of games will spoil you quick. You'll hate PS4 if you experience those.

I won't hide that the latest sale reports really surprised me, as i see the ps5 as a console with a very slim offering, if you have a PS4 and don't want to spend 500 dollars to play the same stuff at 60fps.

Are there exclusives I missed?

Sell me this console, Gaf.
So wait, you just have a vanilla PS4 or a PS4 Pro? (I didn't see any clarification in the thread)

If you have vanilla PS4, go get yourself a PS5. If you've got the Pro, then wait till a PS5 exclusive that you care about comes out.

I'm usually a late adapter myself. Everyone I know has a PS5. I've seen it in action and it certainly is nice. But I'm still rockin' the Pro cause there's just not enough incentive for me to upgrade just yet. My TV is a decade old too.

I'm planning on upgrading to the PS5 as well as getting a new TV and sound system when (if?) GTA6 comes out. Or any other worthwhile PS5 exclusive for that matter.

There is literally no reason for you to buy PS5 until you want to. Sony has no problem with that. Some people are first adopters, others are not. Neither are wrong. You go you, you can buy it if and when you are good and ready.

njean777

really cannot sell you on the console if you don’t want better performance, and faster load times. Which are two things I would upgrade for myself. After having an ssd I could never go back to an Xbox one or ps4.

Robbinhood

Banned
What exactly do you accomplish waiting? You’re going to own it eventually, instead of using it for 4 years you could have been using it for 7. A small price drop? At best?

Are you confused when people spend 4x that for slightly better res on a pc? The value proposition is already insane. I already got my moneys worth in the first 2.5 years, but myself and most people who bought one buy it because it’s their main platform for gaming and will be for years.

Last edited:
The Returnal and Dualsense combo is what sold it for me. Being able to play the games at a higher framerate and the general snappiness of everything are super hot perks.

Trunim

I remember playing Red Dead 2 on my PS4 slim. It was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had playing a game. Even though it was 30 fps, 1080p and long loading times, I was used to it, so I didn't miss anything extra. Now with the PS5, 1080p looks blurry, 30 fps is almost unbearable and loading times are too long if they're like over 5 seconds. But again, it's what you're used to, so I would say, stick with PS4 until the day you feel you want a PS5, you're not missing a lot.

Miles708

Eh lets just not act like this generation is equal to those of the past when it comes to exclusive offerings...
I
His standards for buying one are based upon the standards we typically had in the past. No exclusives? Then you arent worth buying.

We lowered our standards to cope tbh.
Unless you are under the age of 22 and dont know this gen sucks.

I didn't want to say it so bluntly lol.
But yeah the gist of it is that i better wait since my main concern are exclusive games. Improvement are nice but that's not what i buy an entire new console for.

Neff

-faster load times
-runs way, way quieter
-nicer controller
-you really need to see GoW and TLoU2 in 60fps

Ok gaf, please do your best to convince me to buy a PS4. So far as I can tell, it has 2 exclusive games, Bloodborne and ghosts of Tsushima. Anything else I should know of?

Merkades

I can't convince anyone. I was thinking for years that I am actually pretty happy with the PS4's overall ability, but that did not stop me from buying a PS4Pro, a PS5, upgrading my 1060 to a 2080TI and then upgrading that to a 4090 (along with the rest of my PC).

I still think a PS4 is solid, but it is hard to argue with more if you can, at least for me. I think I can actually skip a PS5Pro if one releases, due to PS on PC. My backlog is extensive enough that I can wait a few months to a year or two.

oji-san

Banned
The same stuff at 60fps.
But don't worry soon no 60fps as well.
Kidding aside yeah playing The Last of US 2 for example at 60fps which i didn't play before on PS4 was pure bliss, also it's not only the exclusives but all multiplatform games at 60fps (most games) and better res, also SSD is one of the best things you can add to console...
So if you want games only on PS5 there aren't many but if you don't game on PC then most games will be only on current gen and that also a factor.
To me the last 2 and half years with the PS5 was amazing, almost all games at 60fps with the fast SSD is really good.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I enjoy both the PS5 and PS4. You essentially get more realistic graphics and haptic feedback with the PS5.

Is there a way to port PS4 saves to a PS5?

Noxxera

Ok gaf, please do your best to convince me to buy a PS4. So far as I can tell, it has 2 exclusive games, Bloodborne and ghosts of Tsushima. Anything else I should know of?
Isn't ps5 backwards compat? All games you've bought digital on PS4 you can play on PS5? Yes or no?

Octavia Spencer Drinking GIF by #MAmovie

Justin9mm

Are we talking OG PS4 or Pro? If we talking OG PS4, literally nearly everything about the PS5 is better! Are you still gaming on a 1080p TV/monitor or something? OG PS4 resolution in 2023 is potato quality! Unless it's Jedi Survivor or something then yeah it's all the same lol

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
It'll run all your PS4 games better - that's the main draw right now. Once they ditch the previous gen for good on new game releases it will be more compelling. My PS5 does not get used much. I guess the Horizon games are PS5 only, plus GT7 - what else? New FF coming soon. There are a few but it still feels like there's not a lot of PS5 specific stuff yet, a couple years in now.

makaveli60

You won’t get the ”wow, this is nextgen“ experience soon unfortunately like you already had in the ps4‘s second year already so it’s mostly about slightly better graphics and better framerates and shorter load times and generaly faster system speed overall. Only one game exists so far that provides this feeling and that is Ratchet and Clank (and the Matrix Awakens demo, but that’s delisted now, I think). Maybe Spiderman 2, but we haven’t seen anything substantial from that yet, but since it is made by the R&C devs hopefully it will be a proper nextgen game as well.

Top Bottom