• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF: I'm perfectly happy with my PS4, convince me to buy a PS5

You don't want to be one of those losers with self control who retire early because they avoided buying things they didn't really need earlier in life, do you?

Buy the PS5 now. If you wait to buy it later, those same games won't be fun anymore. That's why game prices go down instead of up. It's science.

TLZ

Banned
say-it-again-cereal.gif

Do it.

PillsOff

Banned
Haven't heard "PC is holding consoles back" in a while....or ever.
It is your fucking war bumping PC head to head with Consoles, i am not in it.
More like business side of things holding it all back.
You need to sell your games so you need your engine to support most hardware out there so your SFS, Mesh Shaders n ext will wait on a shelf
N most of the new tech supported by the new Consoles n new PC hardware is bout radically new aproach to how they will handle memory n assets. It is there where they should've reached real jump compared to last gen.
As of now it is all being used like PS4pro+/XBox One X+ with a bit of Raytracing here n there n this how it will continue to be and yes, Sony exclusives being also made for PC market will dictate when they start to leave 20 year old rendering aproach behind
UE5 has it's own software only solution to this, but perfomance will suffer

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS5 is a good upgrade over the PS4, at the very least you're getting good load times and a system that doesn't sound like a jet engine. But you shouldn't spend money if you're content with what you have.

Humdinger

Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry, i think I've explained myself badly.

I'll rephrase my question:

Are there games on ps5 that can't be played on ps4, and that are worth 500 dollars?

No. There are some games that are PS5-exclusive (Demons Souls, Rift Apart, etc.), but they are not worth $500. Everyone's taste is different, of course, so maybe playing those games is worth $500 to you. It's not to me or to most people.

People aren't upgrading just for that reason alone, though. There are other reasons, too, such as 1) better graphics and performance on the many cross-gen titles; 2) a better controller; 3) Tempest audio; 4) much faster loading times; and 5) knowing that you will be able to play everything coming out at its best level, rather than wondering what you're missing out on.

I'm assuming that you have a PS4 Pro. If you're still using a standard PS4 after all these years, you'll really notice the difference when you upgrade to PS5. You said that the PS5 seems like an "incremental upgrade" over PS4. That's true if you're talking about the Pro model. But PS5 is a generational leap over the original PS4 standard.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
PS5 is super ugly. Buy it.

Shorter load times, be it PS5 or Series, are a great improvement. Not as quick as a Master System, but still nice to have.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wait for the sleeker slim model

That was my initial plan as well. My brother got lucky with that Sony sign up and asked me if i wanted one, disc version.

The PS5 was already out for 2 years or so. And my PS4 was dying. At the same time my dad gave me his old 4K TV so i said fuck it.

Bought a Series S some months before to play my backlog at better performance and such.

I'm not into most mainstream games as GoW or Horizon but i really wanted to play DeSR and have my library were some at 60fps.

You do you though?

RAIDEN1

I've had my PS4 Pro for 2 years or so ....and to this day I haven't been tempted to purchase the PS5...it just doesn't have enough exclusives to warrant the purchase...let alone the woeful legacy collection when you have some stand-out titles from the PS2 and 3 era that can't even be played on Sony's state-of-the -art machine

Edder1

At this point buying "next gen" consoles is almost no different than upgrading your PC and still playing the same games at higher resolution and framerate, so it all depends on what you prioritise. That should change from 2nd half of this year though when AAA games will mainly be next gen.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I won't hide that the latest sale reports really surprised me, as i see the ps5 as a console with a very slim offering, if you have a PS4 and don't want to spend 500 dollars to play the same stuff at 60fps.

So, am i missing something?
What are you all playing on PS5?
Are there exclusives I missed?

Sell me this console, Gaf.

You can play all your pS4 games on PS5, often times with improved load times.

Really all I can recommend the PS5 for these days. Aside from maybe 2-3 actual exclusives worth a damn (Demon Souls, Returnal... I can't think of athird).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ok, OP ok..

81szAXdCKHL._AC_SX425_.jpg

81-QG4taWrL._AC_SX425_.jpg

81WKfpjLZYL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Agreed with the first two. Ratchet and Clank is the most safe, by the numbers, generic, and forgettable game in the franchise. Easy skip. The *only* thing it had going for it was graphical fidelity which does not make a good game.

Zannegan

Buy a PS5!

...in a year or two when you are no longer perfectly happy with your PS4.

Stock issues are sorted. Game and console prices can only come down, and the library will only keep growing. There's also the possibility of a nice slim revision or a pro, so you'll have more options.

If you don't see any must-haves, then why jump in now?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry, i think I've explained myself badly.

I'll rephrase my question:

Are there games on ps5 that can't be played on ps4, and that are worth 500 dollars?
Not really. Maybe Ratchet, Astro (comes with the PS5) and Demons Souls, which are all great PS5 exclusive games, but what you’re REALLY paying for with PS5 currently is just access to better versions of games you already have, and SERIOUS quality of life improvements - loading is practically non-existent, better resolutions, and higher frame rates. And yes, the controller is the best out there. Really though, the improvements are %100 worth the $400-$500, now that PS5 can be easily obtained for retail.

If you’re in a financial situation where $500 is a really big deal to you, then it’s your call, otherwise the upgrade is easily worth it.

phant0m

GAF: ugh cross-gen needs to stop, games need to starting being current-gen only!!

> I have PS4, should I buy PS5?

Also GAF: nah

Last edited:

Kliptik81

Neo Member
I am 100% satisfied with my PS4 and have no desire to spend the money on a PS5. But knowing that Spider-man 2, Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth are PS5 only, that completely changes things. They are the only 3 games I have any interest in.

Zannegan

GAF: ugh cross-gen needs to stop, games need to starting being current-gen only!!

> I have PS4, should I buy PS5?

Also GAF: nah
I mean, were there more next gen exclusives, there'd be more reasons to recommend the upgrade. Seems fairly consistent, assuming those were the same people making both recommendations in the first place.

NickFire

It’s easier to feel sorry for someone who hasn’t upgraded yet. Either platform - don’t matter - the load times alone are worth upgrade.

If ur happy with ur PS4 and dont care about 60fps, much faster loadings, Demons Souls, Ratchet, Returnal, FF16 and Spider-Man2, you can wait a little longer.

I jumped from a base PS4 to the PS5 at launch, and just for the 60fps and much faster loadings, was already worth it for me.
This is how they're getting me - FF XVI. Even though I really didn't like XV, I'm thinking maybe things have turned around hopefully. Demons Souls I'd really like to play, but I could always play the original so it wasn't a system seller for me. But that FF... and instead of playing things like RE4 on Ps4 I'd be able to play on Ps5, so that'd be nice also. I'm going to cave in soon enough. Already ordered FFXVI even though I don't have the system yet.. :messenger_grinning_sweat: So you know it's just a matter of time.

K' Dash

You don't want to be one of those losers with self control who retire early because they avoided buying things they didn't really need earlier in life, do you?

Buy the PS5 now. If you wait to buy it later, those same games won't be fun anymore. That's why game prices go down instead of up. It's science.

the simpsons lemon GIF

Nydius

I’m not Sony’s marketing so I’m not paid to sell you on something. If you’re happy with your PS4, then do what you feel is best. Hell, buy a cheap 2.5 SSD sata drive and slap it in there like I did for my PS4 Pro until I got my PS5.

Just know that moving forward any future games you want to play will likely be off limits to you until you get a PS5. Cross gen is finally ending. If that doesn’t bother you, or if you have a big backlog, feel free to wait a while.

All I will say is that I was playing Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 Pro when I finally got my PS5, and going from the PS4 version to the PS5 version was a night and day difference. More than just improved frames.

xrnzaaas

For the last 2 years of the previous generation I counted the days to the arrival of the new generation, because the hardware simply stopped being powerful enough. You can't enjoy games like Control, Cyberpunk or Days Gone to the full extent on the PS4. Of course every person is different and some will only look at PS5 exclusives, but in my opinion it's definitely worth upgrading in general so that also the PS4 games can look better & run faster.

I was completely happy with my PS4 Pro, then I saw that Verizon deal and on impulse I ran down to the nearest store and ended up getting the last one they had.

Now I'm very happy with my PS5. FFVII Remake runs much, much better on the PS5 than it did on PS4 Pro and I have FFXVI to look forward to in June.

ahtlas7

<parenting hat> If you are happy with ur PS4 asking people to convince you that you’re not is questionable. You may be chasing the moon soon. </parenting hat>

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

if 500$ is the price of your retirement then You have bigger problems lol

Top Bottom