• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF: I'm perfectly happy with my PS4, convince me to buy a PS5

PeteBull

Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry, i think I've explained myself badly.

I'll rephrase my question:

Are there games on ps5 that can't be played on ps4, and that are worth 500 dollars?
I see u arent in a rush, if u dont feel the need to get ps5 now wait 2 more years and get inevitable ps5pr0, by then even more exclusives will be there for u to enjoy and graphical leap/performance leap will be even bigger

Dis

Im buying for FFXVI and FF7R
Looking forward to playing games in peace instead of hysterical ps4pro fan noise.

PillsOff

Banned
Zhw4zy9.gif
Just reinforcing the idea that not that much difference awaits.
Sony is expanding into PC markets.
That means that all this fancy texture n asset streaming solutions* new consoles have ll not be implemented into workflow even withing Sony's internal studios and all you'll get for a while(even with exclusives) is uprezed PS4 games but gayer and in 60(look at latest Star Wars "Next Gen" Title)

*PC's are capable of supporting similar solutions but they just require specific GPU/SSD setup that most PC users ll not have for a while n unfortunately it is not like with Ray-Tracing where you can have old aproach as a backup n have this as high end option.

Last edited:
I won't hide that the latest sale reports really surprised me, as i see the ps5 as a console with a very slim offering, if you have a PS4 and don't want to spend 500 dollars to play the same stuff at 60fps.

So, am i missing something?
What are you all playing on PS5?
Are there exclusives I missed?

Sell me this console, Gaf.

If 60 fps does not convince you i dont know what to say.
Play your ps4 if you are happy.

I dont need to convince you. Im happy with my 60 fps games.

Aenima

If ur happy with ur PS4 and dont care about 60fps, much faster loadings, Demons Souls, Ratchet, Returnal, FF16 and Spider-Man2, you can wait a little longer.

I jumped from a base PS4 to the PS5 at launch, and just for the 60fps and much faster loadings, was already worth it for me.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Are there games on ps5 that can't be played on ps4, and that are worth 500 dollars?
Honestly there's no reason NOT to make a transition at this point. There are already a bunch of PS5-only games (Horizon Burning Shores, Demon's Souls, Returnal, Last of Us Pt. I, NFS Unbound, Ratchet & Clank, and a few others. This list in only gonna grow larger and more games are going to ditch PS4 as time goes on and that's a guarantee.

On top of that, every PS4 game runs on PS5 too, and many PS4 games either got a full upgrade or a performance patch, making them look and run better, and taking advantage of tye haptics. And on that note, the controller is way better and you're also future-proofing yourself for any optional peripherals such as PSVR2.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Personally, even PS4 games with PS5 patches were tremendous improvement. GoW, GoT, Spiderman and Miles, etc.. all played tremendously better on PS5.

A lot of 3rd party games have terrible textures, performance and loading times on PS4. Cyberpunk is just one example. Hogwarts will be pretty bad as well and there are many others.

Not even talking about PS5 exclusives. To me PS5 is a no brainier unless you already have a decent PC (or maybe XSX). Especially since you will recoupe some of the cost by selling your PS4.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All games are far better on PS5. 60fps does make a huge difference, I couldn't go back now. And cross-gen will start to dry up very soon. I don't think there will be any more big 1st party Sony games on PS4.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Same situation here. I undoubtedly will get a PS5, but my PS4 is still allowing me to play the games I want atm. My Series X takes care of the multiplatform titles.

Tg89

I'm not playing much specific to it right now. I have a PC so everything gets played on that when I can.

I didn't see the point in waiting though. I would have gotten one eventually, might as well just get it on launch. It's already been out 2+ years and still hasn't had a price cut, so at most you're going to save what? $100? Maybe you get a slim if you wait long enough. Just don't care at that point. In fact I'd rather pay $500 for something that will get used for ~7 years as opposed to $400 for something I'll use for 3-4 years.

While I haven't played it that much since it launched, I have enjoyed Demon's Souls, Returnal, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. FFXVI comes out in two months, etc. On top of that you get much better versions of the PS4 games (and a much better experience at an OS level when I do play them), playing games on PS4 was absolutely painful even those last two years of it's cycle (hell, the whole time really, thing launched so underpowered).

Last edited:

Noxxera

I won't hide that the latest sale reports really surprised me, as i see the ps5 as a console with a very slim offering, if you have a PS4 and don't want to spend 500 dollars to play the same stuff at 60fps.

Well there a lot of next-gen exclusive games and DLCs to games on PS4 that's exclusive on 5 only. Like the FF7Remake DLC, Death Stranding DC edition. For example the latest game, Jedi Survivor isn't on PS4. It's next-gen exclusive. So yeah the next-gen exclusive games are on their way. Good luck playing them on your PS4 the years ahead. I'd say it's a great time to buy PS5 or a Xbox Series now.

Noxxera

Very few games on PS5 that aren’t also on PS4, not worth upgrading to a PS5 for any of them imo. Would be worth upgrading for better performance for the games that are cross gen though. Loading time improvements are a game changer
The game thing is about to change. Case in point watch FF7 Remake DLC (PS5 exclusive), Death Stranding DC (PS5 exclusive). Death Stranding 2 will very likely be Next-gen exclusive. FF7 Part 2 I think is PS5/X Series exclusive. Latest example is Jedi Survivor that's next-gen exclusive. Oh TLoU Part 1 is PS5 exclusive too. Good luck playing the games worth playing releasing the years ahead on the PS4.

Noxxera

Demons souls, Death Stranding Directors cut, Ratchet and Clank, TLoU Part 1, FF7Remake DLC, Jedi Survivor, Dead Space, Horizon DLC, cant think of more but it's your choice. Personally I'm gonna buy one asap I get the money.

Upcoming are FF7 Part 2, Spiderman 2 that I know of.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Do you have the money to buy a ps5 without it affecting your personal financial situation/livelihood? If yes then buy a ps5.

If no, then don't

Last edited:
buy it now.

I work in healthcare and see death almost every day of my life, those people that died probably wished they would have done things they wanted to do when they were alive instead of “waiting waiting waiting”.

Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, live for the now.

The only actual PS5 exclusives I own are Demon's Souls and Returnal (should probably count Cyberpunk 2077 since the PS4 version isn't really playable). I'll pick up FFXVI at launch too, but other than that there aren't many actual exclusives that interest me. Don't regret the purchase though since I'd have gotten one eventually anyway and I value several years of playing PS4 games at higher framerates with no load times over whatever the cost savings might eventually be (and at the moment it doesn't look like the price is dropping anytime soon for obvious reasons).

Basically, if you're primarily a PC gamer and this would be a secondary console - don't get one.

If this would be a primary console, you're going to get one eventually so either you pick it up now for the admittedly marginal benefits of better performance/zero load times on PS4 games a handful of good exclusives or you hold out for the slim. The price isn't dropping significantly in the foreseeable future so holding out for a better price doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Noxxera

The only actual PS5 exclusives I own are Demon's Souls and Returnal (should probably count Cyberpunk 2077 since the PS4 version isn't really playable). I'll pick up FFXVI at launch too, but other than that there aren't many actual exclusives that interest me. Don't regret the purchase though since I'd have gotten one eventually anyway and I value several years of playing PS4 games at higher framerates with no load times over whatever the cost savings might eventually be (and at the moment it doesn't look like the price is dropping anytime soon for obvious reasons).

Basically, if you're primarily a PC gamer and this would be a secondary console - don't get one.

If this would be a primary console, you're going to get one eventually so either you pick it up now for the admittedly marginal benefits of better performance/zero load times on PS4 games a handful of good exclusives or you hold out for the slim. The price isn't dropping significantly in the foreseeable future so holding out for a better price doesn't make sense.
Yeah there's literally 0 arguments against not getting a PS5 now. Except the money. If you don't have the money and think it's too expensive by all means dont buy one and wait it out for maybe a price drop. Don't think its gonna happen soon tho and if it does prolly won't drop much.

Not really. Demon's Souls + Ratchet & Clank are absolutely great, but not worth 500 bucks alone.

Fbh

Ps5 so far has mostly just been a Ps4 Pro Pro.
If you don't care about playing Ps4 games at higher framerate, with higher resolution, faster load times and improvements like better texture, draw distance, LOD, etc then it's not really worth it. So far I wouldn't consider any of the proper Ps5 exclusives to be system sellers.

With that said I do think we are at a turning point. With games like FFXVI on the horizon and Spider Man 2 supposedly later this year I do think Ps5 is getting to the point where an upgrade will be worth it. That's doubly true if you don't have a Series X or PC as you'll also be gaining access to third party current gen games.

Also, we now seem to be at a point where both first and third party studios are starting to leave Ps4 behind, so outside of indies there aren't many exciting Ps4 games coming.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Personally, I am still happy with my PS4 but if we get a PS5 Slim later this year I will finally retire my PS4. I haven't really seen anything so far to justify buying a PS5.

It does feel like it's finally about time that we should be getting proper PS5 exclusives. Right now only the HFW dlc is what I want a PS5 for. Getting a PS5 Slim later this year, if it happens, seems like the perfect time to jump onto PS5. The generation feels like it is actually starting now! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Trunx81

Do it like me: Wait for the PS6, then buy a cheap PS5 and get all the great games in a sale.

Humans are so impatient sometimes.

Reactions: WoJ

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I mainly play games that offers a 120hz or uncapped mode. 60hz is alright and 30hz is unplayable. Current-gen consoles are an entry-level to faster frames and delivers it at a price point that's hard to match on pc.

I could never go back to last-gen as a main console. $500 is ridiculous cheap imo.

stn

To me, its worth it for The Last of Us 1 Remake, and I think FF16 will also be amazing. Eventually I'll also get Demon's Souls. That said, I still keep my PS4 hooked up so that there's less wear-and-tear on the PS5, but realistically it plays all of my PS4 titles. Worth the upgrade, I think, but maybe wait for the newer model that is rumored to release.

PeteBull

PS5 Pro isn't coming; might as well get onboard.
We either get ps5pr0 in 2024 or 2025 latest, or there will be ps6 maybe in 2026, and since ps6 in 2026 seems out of the question coz of very long game dev cycles- aka it will probably come 2028-2030, u can be sure sony wont leave their audience with 2020 mashine for so long, it will definitely provide ppl with stronger option, just so less ppl jump to pc, which is pretty common occurance in the later period of every console gen.

Puscifer

I mean I only got one because it was easy to get and got caught up in the hype, it's really not worth the purchase especially if you have a pro IMO. Wait for a price drop and few more big games to drop, by that point what came before will be cheap (20-30 bucks) and the development cycle will be into high gears for the rest of the generation and it'll feel like a steady stream of content.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Just reinforcing the idea that not that much difference awaits.
Sony is expanding into PC markets.
That means that all this fancy texture n asset streaming solutions* new consoles have ll not be implemented into workflow even withing Sony's internal studios and all you'll get for a while(even with exclusives) is uprezed PS4 games but gayer and in 60(look at latest Star Wars "Next Gen" Title)

*PC's are capable of supporting similar solutions but they just require specific GPU/SSD setup that most PC users ll not have for a while n unfortunately it is not like with Ray-Tracing where you can have old aproach as a backup n have this as high end option.

Haven't heard "PC is holding consoles back" in a while....or ever.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a better ps4 that plays ps4 games better.
+ps5 exclusives + 4k +60fps +incredible controller +cool 3d audio

drotahorror

Do it like me: Wait for the PS6, then buy a cheap PS5 and get all the great games in a sale.

Humans are so impatient sometimes.

Yeah waiting a decade to buy a console is definitely a test of patience.

Guessing you might be 42 due to the 81 in your username. Not everyone lives to 50. YOLO buy your damn games.

Top Bottom