• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox issue

TLZ

Banned
Hopefully this is the right place to post this question.

I know this is retro for some of you, but I'm having an issue with my OG Xbox. It shuts down/restarts by itself after 10-30 mins of gameplay. I tried googling the issue, but I haven't found posts similar to mine. I found people complaining it shuts down or restarts as soon as they turn it on, or doesn't start at all.

I've seen a few retro videos before mentioning something about capacitors causing possible issues and getting rid of them . Could that be what's causing issues in mine? I don't really want to open up my Xbox unless I really have to.

EDIT: Forgot to add the Retro tag. Can a kind mod help please?

Last edited:

intbal

I don't know how a leaking clock capacitor would affect the system. I would think something much worse than just shutting down every 10 minutes.
There are lots of videos about opening up your OG XBox. It's not hard. I yanked my clock capacitor a few years ago. It had a tiny bit of leakage.
You definitely need to do that.

Drew1440

Could be a sign that's it's overheating, do you have a custom dashboard/ softmod installed? They typically show the temperature of the cpu/gpu.
The clock capacitor needs to be removed if its one of the earlier revisions (look for the conextant/infocus chip near the av connector). The later revisions are generally fine but they can still leak.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I know you said you dont want to open it but it sounds like you want to save the system and/or it has meaning to you. I would try to get over your fear. Im not saying the capacitor is causing your problem but this is a known issue with XBoxes and as I understand this always has to be replaced or addressed in some way.

LimeyGeeza

Neo Member
If you aint scared of opening it, open it up and clean out all the dust. Sounds like it's overheating. Could also be the power supply, if you have a friend with one and can borrow their power supply, give that a shot. I've fixed a couple of units myself, and a good clean out always helps and in nearly all cases the culprit has been the PSU.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
I don't know how a leaking clock capacitor would affect the system. I would think something much worse than just shutting down every 10 minutes.
There are lots of videos about opening up your OG XBox. It's not hard. I yanked my clock capacitor a few years ago. It had a tiny bit of leakage.
You definitely need to do that.

Could be a sign that's it's overheating, do you have a custom dashboard/ softmod installed? They typically show the temperature of the cpu/gpu.
The clock capacitor needs to be removed if its one of the earlier revisions (look for the conextant/infocus chip near the av connector). The later revisions are generally fine but they can still leak.

Without knowing a lot, typically computers shut themselves down if they’re overheating. You check and make sure the fans are working ok and it’s not too hot near the chips?

I know you said you dont want to open it but it sounds like you want to save the system and/or it has meaning to you. I would try to get over your fear. Im not saying the capacitor is causing your problem but this is a known issue with XBoxes and as I understand this always has to be replaced or addressed in some way.

In all OG Xbox's the Clock Capacitor needs replaced for sure - and many of the other general caps are known to fail.

If you aint scared of opening it, open it up and clean out all the dust. Sounds like it's overheating. Could also be the power supply, if you have a friend with one and can borrow their power supply, give that a shot. I've fixed a couple of units myself, and a good clean out always helps and in nearly all cases the culprit has been the PSU.
Thanks for the replies.

I have it soft modded. I'll check the temps. What temp is considered overheating? Iirc many weeks ago I think I've seen it hit 60c.

Re removing capacitor, do I need any soldering skills for that? I've never done it and don't have solder anyway.

For now I'm playing the Sonic collection on my 360, but I would still like to save my Xbox. Also I'm not sure if every Xbox game is playable on 360 anyway.

HE1NZ

Banned
Before removing capacitors and even troubleshooting you need to find out what revision of Xbox you have. There are about 6. Last one doesn't have issues with capacitors.

marquimvfs

Could be overheat, the famous clock capacitor problem, problem with psu (probably capacitors too) or a faulty power microswitch.

It's crucial to open it. If there's a problem in the clock capacitor, it'll leak an acid that will corrode some traces that are responsible for making the front panel to work. So it will act strange like that, and the problem goes until the traces are completely corroded, then your console will only turn on by the eject button. If nothing its wrong with temp and the capacitor, I'd still remove it and check the psu and the power microswitch.

• Thoughtful

TLZ

Banned
Before removing capacitors and even troubleshooting you need to find out what revision of Xbox you have. There are about 6. Last one doesn't have issues with capacitors.
Ok I'll check first. If it's soft modded I guess it's defo one of the earlier revisions? I think I read somewhere the later revision couldn't be soft modded, iirc.

I didn't.
I just grabbed it, wiggled it back and forth, and broke it off.

feel free to joke that one up
Hah. If it's that simple I'll do it.

Greatest console of all time. Dead ass. I wish you the best of luck.
I still like it. I especially like the size of the controller. Very comfortable. I just wish it had the bumpers and triggers at the time. Would've bee my fav controller, or at least one of my favs.

TLZ

Banned
Could be overheat, the famous clock capacitor problem, problem with psu (probably capacitors too) or a faulty power microswitch.

It's crucial to open it. If there's a problem in the clock capacitor, it'll leak an acid that will corrode some traces that are responsible for making the front panel to work. So it will act strange like that, and the problem goes until the traces are completely corroded, then your console will only turn on by the eject button. If nothing its wrong with temp and the capacitor, I'd still remove it and check the psu and the power microswitch.
Is this the only console with such capacitor issues?

HE1NZ

Banned
Ok I'll check first. If it's soft modded I guess it's defo one of the earlier revisions? I think I read somewhere the later revision couldn't be soft modded, iirc.
No. Mine is softmodded with custom HDD and it's last revision (1.6)
1.6 revisions have an issue that some games don't work at 480p without a patch.

• Thoughtful

teezzy

Banned
TLZ TLZ

Sure, I actually use the Hyperkin Duke with my One S and PC fairly often still. Love the chunk. Love the nostalgia

Sorry for your loss. They're not in the biggest demand though. Should be able to find a cheap boy secondhand

marquimvfs

Is this the only console with such capacitor issues?
Electrolitic capacitors are components prone to failure overtime. Think of it like a rechargeable battery. If they are of good quality and aren't abused, they will work as intended for a long time until they stop holding energy. In that case, they need to be replaced. The logic with capacitors is the same. If they aren't of bad quality and aren't used outside specifications (installed in a harsh environment with greater heat than it's designed to support, submitted to constant ripple and other things more) they will still fail overtime and affect the functionality of wherever they are installed. Rumours say that the premature problem with the original Xbox is that the circuit that stored the date/time consumed a great amount of power and a common battery wouldn't last long, and putting a bigger battery would cause some regulations problem (related to Rohs I think, don't remember the details), but the super capacitor they used wasn't exactly a great replacement to batteries due to low quality and high heat, what causes leak and corrosion of the board.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

D.Final

Banned
Hopefully this is the right place to post this question.

I know this is retro for some of you, but I'm having an issue with my OG Xbox. It shuts down/restarts by itself after 10-30 mins of gameplay. I tried googling the issue, but I haven't found posts similar to mine. I found people complaining it shuts down or restarts as soon as they turn it on, or doesn't start at all.

I've seen a few retro videos before mentioning something about capacitors causing possible issues and getting rid of them . Could that be what's causing issues in mine? I don't really want to open up my Xbox unless I really have to.

EDIT: Forgot to add the Retro tag. Can a kind mod help please?
Never had issues

Max_Po

Banned
it seems like it is over heating, do you have a custom/homebrew dashboard like UnleashX ? it tells you the temp and you can crank up the FAN as well.

stn

I also gotta take the clock capacitor out of mine, this thread is a reminder for me to do that. I love the OG Xbox and want to preserve my original console.

Iced Arcade

Is a lot of Reddit topics on similar issues.

You don't happen to have it plugged into a power bar?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Kind of unknown and not related to the OP, but many games can be hexedited to run at native 720p on a OG Xbox*

* A lot of these do require a RAM upgrade to 128 MB atleast though, but its nevertheless fascinating to see a 2001 system run the most demanding games at 720p (Doom 3, Far Cry Instincts, etc).

Banned
Kind of unknown and not related to the OP, but many games can be hexedited to run at native 720p on a OG Xbox*

* A lot of these do require a RAM upgrade to 128 MB atleast though, but its nevertheless fascinating to see a 2001 system run the most demanding games at 720p (Doom 3, Far Cry Instincts, etc).

I mean the Xbox was a beast... I wouldn't bet on them running that well tho. even some officially supported ones drop framerate when running at 1080i or 720p compared to 480p

I also gotta take the clock capacitor out of mine, this thread is a reminder for me to do that. I love the OG Xbox and want to preserve my original console.

same, I gotta do that soon...

Last edited:

Redneckerz

I mean the Xbox was a beast... I wouldn't bet on them running that well tho. even some officially supported ones drop framerate when running at 1080i or 720p compared to 480p
Surprisingly enough, the resolution bump from 640x480 to 1280x720 still retains rather playable framerates with a RAM bump, even with a stock processor. It shouldn't actually be possible, but it does. A upgraded CPU at 1.4 Ghz will help ofcourse.

I have a list of shooters at the very least that have a hex patch:
  • - Halo (But still in testing.)
  • - Warpath
  • - Painkiller: Hell Wars (Apparently at 60 fps even)
  • - America's Army: Rise Of A Soldier
  • - Conspiracy: Weapons Of Mass Destruction .
  • - Doom 3
  • - Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil
  • - Pariah
  • - Dead Man's Hand
  • - Unreal 2: The Awakening
  • - Unreal Championship
  • - XIII
  • - Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
  • - Die Hard: Vendetta
  • - Chicago Enforcer (Lithtech Jupiter) (Mob Enforcer on PC)
  • - Vietcong: Purple Haze
  • - Arx Fatalis
  • - Far Cry: Instincts
  • - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (GOTY only)
  • - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
  • - Serious Sam
  • - Serious Sam 2
  • - Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs Death
  • - Call Of Duty: Finest Hour
  • - Call Of Duty 2: Big Red One
  • - Call Of Duty 3
  • - Black
  • - Darkwatch
  • - Red Faction 2
  • - Star Wars Battlefront
  • - Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
  • - Shadow Ops: Red Mercury
  • - Men Of Valor
  • - Medal Of Honor: European Assault
  • - Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun
  • - Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth
  • - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
  • - Sudeki
  • - Commandos: Strike Force
  • - Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
  • - Close Combat: First To Fight

Banned
Surprisingly enough, the resolution bump from 640x480 to 1280x720 still retains rather playable framerates with a RAM bump, even with a stock processor. It shouldn't actually be possible, but it does. A upgraded CPU at 1.4 Ghz will help ofcourse.

I have a list of shooters at the very least that have a hex patch:
  • - Halo (But still in testing.)
  • - Warpath
  • - Painkiller: Hell Wars (Apparently at 60 fps even)
  • - America's Army: Rise Of A Soldier
  • - Conspiracy: Weapons Of Mass Destruction .
  • - Doom 3
  • - Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil
  • - Pariah
  • - Dead Man's Hand
  • - Unreal 2: The Awakening
  • - Unreal Championship
  • - XIII
  • - Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
  • - Die Hard: Vendetta
  • - Chicago Enforcer (Lithtech Jupiter) (Mob Enforcer on PC)
  • - Vietcong: Purple Haze
  • - Arx Fatalis
  • - Far Cry: Instincts
  • - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (GOTY only)
  • - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
  • - Serious Sam
  • - Serious Sam 2
  • - Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs Death
  • - Call Of Duty: Finest Hour
  • - Call Of Duty 2: Big Red One
  • - Call Of Duty 3
  • - Black
  • - Darkwatch
  • - Red Faction 2
  • - Star Wars Battlefront
  • - Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
  • - Shadow Ops: Red Mercury
  • - Men Of Valor
  • - Medal Of Honor: European Assault
  • - Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun
  • - Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth
  • - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
  • - Sudeki
  • - Commandos: Strike Force
  • - Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
  • - Close Combat: First To Fight

I heard upgrading the cpu can cause incompatibility. it is cool tho that you can tinker with the system as much as you can. it truly is a PC put into a console box. which makes it such a great system to still use for homebrew and stuff

Redneckerz

I heard upgrading the cpu can cause incompatibility. it is cool tho that you can tinker with the system as much as you can. it truly is a PC put into a console box. which makes it such a great system to still use for homebrew and stuff
You need a specific CPU for it and there is an ability to get an autocorrector installed. The incompatibility rate is nigh-on not existing.

TLZ

Banned
marquimvfs marquimvfs

I finally got to test my Xbox again. Went to the dash and checked temps. Then upped my fan speed to 3x to see if that helps. Played Voodoo Vince then Sonic & Knuckles again for more than hour successfully. Back to dash and temp was at 55c. I think increasing fan speed def helped.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
No. Mine is softmodded with custom HDD and it's last revision (1.6)
1.6 revisions have an issue that some games don't work at 480p without a patch.
I think mine's 1.6 too. I forgot to check the version, but funny thing you mention some games not working at 480p because this happened with Voodoo Vince. Playing it through the hacked dash whatever it's called caused a video glitch. Only way I could play is through the MS dash. I did switch from 480i to 480p holding the triggers and pressing both sticks though, and the game still worked this way.

HE1NZ

Banned
I think mine's 1.6 too. I forgot to check the version, but funny thing you mention some games not working at 480p because this happened with Voodoo Vince. Playing it through the hacked dash whatever it's called caused a video glitch. Only way I could play is through the MS dash. I did switch from 480i to 480p holding the triggers and pressing both sticks though, and the game still worked this way.
I think it's a bug of the dash. Games with video driver issue don't work on MS dash in 480p, they need a patched xbe. I have a pack of them, there's no Voodoo Vince.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

marquimvfs marquimvfs

I finally got to test my Xbox again. Went to the dash and checked temps. Then upped my fan speed to 3x to see if that helps. Played Voodoo Vince then Sonic & Knuckles again for more than hour successfully. Back to dash and temp was at 55c. I think increasing fan speed def helped
You should definitely get your system opened and cleaned...

TLZ

Banned
I think it's a bug of the dash. Games with video driver issue don't work on MS dash in 480p, they need a patched xbe. I have a pack of them, there's no Voodoo Vince.
Hm. When I tried Voodoo Vince in the hacked dash I got the video bug. When I tried it in the MS dash it worked perfectly and in 480p. I could tell it's 480p from the difference in picture quality of course, and the info button showed 480p.

marquimvfs

Why do you say that? 55c high? You mean clean it from dust etc, or remove capacitor?
Well, if you needed to put the cooler running 3 times the default speed, the ventilation system probably is clogged with dust. Maybe the thermal compound is in need to change, too.

I am looking to buy an OG xbox. Heard model 1.1 is the best version. I want to put all my roms on it and not use the disc drive. I have a 360 for some of my games but the BC quality varies...

I know that model 1.6 doesn't have the leaky capacitor issue, but as mentioned above has problems with 480p so I will avoid that one.

Is there any reason not to go with a model between 1.2 and 1.5 considering I only want to put OG Xbox roms on it and not emulate or upgrade ram? Obviously I have to upgrade the HDD though.

TLZ

Banned
I am looking to buy an OG xbox. Heard model 1.1 is the best version. I want to put all my roms on it and not use the disc drive. I have a 360 for some of my games but the BC quality varies...

I know that model 1.6 doesn't have the leaky capacitor issue, but as mentioned above has problems with 480p so I will avoid that one.

Is there any reason not to go with a model between 1.2 and 1.5 considering I only want to put OG Xbox roms on it and not emulate or upgrade ram? Obviously I have to upgrade the HDD though.
From what I read elsewhere, the 480p issues for some games can be fixed with a xbmc patch or something.

marquimvfs

Almost all the benefits of the older versions are related to mod ability, except from minor problems found on 1.5 TSOP chips.

To my knolwdge, the 1.0 is the best. It haves a GPU fan that's pretty noisy, but can actually be replaced and the additional onboard fan header allows you to put everithing you want.
The 1.0 consoles have the largest TSOP chips (1Mbit) so have a higher BIOS compatibility, and you can install a onboard switch to toggle between BIOSES without a modchip.
The LPC port is operational in this model, so if you want to install a modchip you can use pretty much any one you can find.

1.1 comes with all the those benefits, except the soldered extra fan header.
One disadvantage of these early models is that they could come with a Foxlink PSUs. Replace them, they're very crappy.

Any console after these have 256k TSOP chips I believe.

1.5 have a couple pins removed from the LPC port and have some problematic TSOP chips.

1.6 is the worst in terms of modding as you can only softmod. Modchips can be installed but you also have to rebuild the LPC port.

Last edited:
Top Bottom