• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Poster for "Dungeons & Dragons" upcoming film

FunkMiller

But it just saddens me that us true hardcore D&D fans will never get to see the type of D&D movies we always wanted to see. There's decades of material like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Drizzt, Dragonlance, Ravenloft etc that would be awesome with a high budget production done seriously, but seems like that will never ever happen.

You can get behind all us 40k fans on that wait. At least you’ve had something!

FunkMiller

It's a shame Cavil loves the witcher (puke) and superman (also puke) so much. He loves warhammer. You would think he'd have enough pull to get some sort of show or movie made if her really pushed for it.

I get the impression it might be Games Workshop not willing to let anyone adapt it, more than anything. They're fiercely protective over the IP, and I don't see anyone coming to them with a proposal that would allow the adaptation to be full on 40k. It'd have to be extremely gory, extremely nasty, and extremely violent. Sadly, about the only people with the cash and the freedom are the likes of Amazon and Netflix... and that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

You can get behind all us 40k fans on that wait. At least you’ve had something!

It's a shame Cavil loves the witcher (puke) and superman (also puke) so much. He loves warhammer. You would think he'd have enough pull to get some sort of show or movie made if her really pushed for it.

I get the impression it might be Games Workshop not willing to let anyone adapt it, more than anything. They're fiercely protective over the IP, and I don't see anyone coming to them with a proposal that would allow the adaptation to be full on 40k. It'd have to be extremely gory, extremely nasty, and extremely violent. Sadly, about the only people with the cash and the freedom are the likes of Amazon and Netflix... and that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
There is supposedly an Eisenhorn TV series in the works but it's probably still in pre-production.

AJUMP23

Pretty good. I raise you

c78WGjV.jpg
Animator using some stuff from his personal collection.

Kadve

Animator using some stuff from his personal collection.
Well The designers of Beast Wars confirmed they went to strip club to get some "inspiration" for Blackarachnia. So wouldn't surprise me.
0ed.jpg

Anyway. This movie feels like what would have happened if Brendan Fraser played a major character on Xena: warrior princess. Im actually kinda intrigued.

Last edited:
That's one crap poster!
The worst part is the weird looks of most of the cast (especially Pine, Rodriguez, Grant)
Even the dragon, which looked decent in the trailer, here looks bad!

Lunarorbit

Michelle Rodriguez.... I don't know. She's played the same character for years. Vin diesel must have rubbed off on her

AJUMP23

Great artist!

I'm kinda surprised they didn't commission Vajjejo for this film, or even Larry Elmore, who is a CRITICAL DnD artist.

4qrytQl.jpg

But yeah, why get a painter when photoshop exists?

Such great art. I hope they all realize there is a dragon behind them.

Kadve

They have had a very bad experience with Warhammer 40k movies in the past. Damnatus gave them nothing other than a bad face (while made by fans it did have their full blessing. At least until they had to shut it down by law but that's a long story) and the terrible Ultramarines one just costed them a lot of money. But at least it made it to production unlike Bloodquest.

But also as you stated a high profile bad movie adaptation can pretty much bring the IP down with it which isnt something GW wants to risk. There is a reason after all why Judge Dread was (is?) considered a joke in the US and why the creators of tank girl just decided to kill the comic rather than try and continue after the awful movie.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Huh, so which is it, March 31 like the first poster or April? Maybe different regions?

But yeah, no one is seeing this for Justice Smith or that Jean rene guy, why are they even on the poster? Red head girl at least is kinda cute, get her in that crossed eye tongue out pose and the simps will come a flocking!

Chris Pine and Michell Rodriguez are, BY FAR, the biggest stars in this (heck, Michelles total box office is in the BILLIONS and with Avatar resurgence her star glows only brighter) so these ensemble posters are just cluttered and muddy.

Huh, so which is it, March 31 like the first poster or April? Maybe different regions?

But yeah, no one is seeing this for Justice Smith or that Jean rene guy, why are they even on the poster? Red head girl at least is kinda cute, get her in that crossed eye tongue out pose and the simps will come a flocking!

Chris Pine and Michell Rodriguez are, BY FAR, the biggest stars in this (heck, Michelles total box office is in the BILLIONS and with Avatar resurgence her star glows only brighter) so these ensemble posters are just cluttered and muddy.
Red haired girl is the girl from It. That was five years ago though.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Great artist!

I'm kinda surprised they didn't commission Vajjejo for this film, or even Larry Elmore, who is a CRITICAL DnD artist.

4qrytQl.jpg

But yeah, why get a painter when bad photoshop exists?

Not my super favorite but awesome nonetheless.

Shit is so whack nowadays.

Even this is so much better and I wonder if teens early 20's would agree

HQQTZsm.jpg

Doom85

But yeah, no one is seeing this for Justice Smith or that Jean rene guy, why are they even on the poster?

Bruh, speak for yourself, Justice Smith was great in Detective Pikachu.

Also, if there’s five heroes in the party, they’re obviously all going to be on the poster (any D&D fan would scoff at arguing otherwise). Imagine leaving Hawkeye out of the Avengers 1 poster because most people wouldn’t know Jeremy Renner at that point, that’d be a dumbass decision. Christ, no one knew who Chris Hemsworth was when the first Thor film came out (barring the two people who looked into who played Kirk’s dad in Star Trek ‘09), should they have kept Thor out of the poster for his own movie and focused solely on Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also, if there’s five heroes in the party, they’re obviously all going to be on the poster (any D&D fan would scoff at arguing otherwise). Imagine leaving Hawkeye out of the Avengers 1 poster because most people wouldn’t know Jeremy Renner at that point, that’d be a dumbass decision. Christ, no one knew who Chris Hemsworth was when the first Thor film came out (barring the two people who looked into who played Kirk’s dad in Star Trek ‘09), should they have kept Thor out of the poster for his own movie and focused solely on Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins?
Eh, tell me you know nothig about movie poster design without telling me you know nothing about movie poster design...

Anyhoo, if this film gives equal weight to those other three then it just shows the writers don't know how to make a good movie. Pine and Rodriguez (well Pine for sure) can ABSOLUTELY anchor a film. Hugh Grant can as well though I think he is very much a supporting actor in this. So the framing device should definitely be Pine and Rodriguez's relationship, then build out to the others. If they try to "equal party" FIVE distinct characters in a single film, it's gonna be a train wreck.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Literally the premise of D&D
Sure, but disastrous (IMHO) to a single film. No way can they do justice (zing!) to all 5 characters, especially when 2 are Pine and Rodriguez. The narrative needs to focus on them as they build out their team for the heist or whatever the macguffin is. I'd be SHOCKED if anyone says they all get equal treatment after watching it. Hell, just that first trailer alone tells me most of what their personalities are likely to be and it certainly doesn't seem like they are a team...err, party, from the start.

Doom85

Sure, but disastrous (IMHO) to a single film. No way can they do justice (zing!) to all 5 characters, especially when 2 are Pine and Rodriguez. The narrative needs to focus on them as they build out their team for the heist or whatever the macguffin is. I'd be SHOCKED if anyone says they all get equal treatment after watching it.

shocked x factor GIF by X Factor Global

In what reality can a film not develop a mere five character fairly equally? Christ, Guardians of the Galaxy is an obvious inspiration for this film, and that had exactly five characters that all got good development in that film.

Also, Fellowship of the Ring? Hello? Should Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir have been on zero posters since they only show up at the halfway point? I mean, it’s not like they’re part of the FELLOWSHIP or anything…..

Seriously, what is this take?

Hell, any good DM makes sure all players get equal focus in their campaign.

Also, movie poster design, LOL, even the OT Star Wars posters had 5+ characters on them. Come on already.

it certainly doesn't seem like they are a team...err, party, from the start.

Well, yeah, obviously, why would….oh. I see. Tell me you’ve never played D&D without telling me you’ve never played D&D.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Great artist!

4qrytQl.jpg

But yeah, why get a painter when bad photoshop exists?
That was a great book as a kid. I doubt it holds up, but it really took me away back when I was ten or so, especially with the illustrations to help visualize things.

the trailer honestly makes me feel this could be a fun movie to watch at the very least. it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and the comedy at least make me chuckle. I might actually go watch this when it comes out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
In what reality can a film not develop a mere five character fairly equally? Christ, Guardians of the Galaxy is an obvious inspiration for this film, and that had exactly five characters that all got good development in that film.
? Rewatch GOTG again and track character development, narrative attention, and screen time. Then reconsider your statement.
Also, Fellowship of the Ring? Hello? Should Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir have been on zero posters since they only show up at the halfway point? I mean, it’s not like they’re part of the FELLOWSHIP or anything…..
Fellowship is AN EXCELLENT example of a proper ensemble movie poster putting proper weight to the Lead characters.

Rmrj8Nj.jpg

Seriously, what is this take?
The correct one?

Doom85

? Rewatch GOTG again and track character development, narrative attention, and screen time. Then reconsider your statement.

Fellowship is AN EXCELLENT example of a proper ensemble movie poster putting proper weight to the Lead characters.

Rmrj8Nj.jpg

The correct one?

-bruh, okay chill already. Sure, if one calculates every second of screen time, not a single film in history has given equal focus on its ensemble. But at that point if you’re nitpicking that hard, no one else gives a shit. Just about anyone would agree Guardians gives solid development and focus to all five of the team

-funny, guess I’ll have to rewatch both editions, as I could have sworn Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir had more screen time than Arwen…..

-
Sure Jan GIF

DKehoe

Gold Member
The movie going world knows nothing to little of the WotC dispute. And cares even less.
Sure, but for a studio part of the benefit of a franchise like this is you've got an audience who will do some marketing for you by getting their friends and family interested since it's something they care about. And right now a lot of that core audience that you'd hope to build on are pissed off at it and won't exactly be looking to evangelise for them.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
New trailer looked fine aside from the villain looks goofy and that fight scene at the start was very dumb. Like cartoon level of dumb action. I have no belief that is a Barbarian
You mean a middle aged woman cant really portray a barbarian? Shocker....

I'm in for this DAY ONE with my son!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think some of y'all are getting the wrong idea about this movie.

It isn't "this is the world of the game"

It's "these are the players playing the game"

All the dialogue (which is modern) and diversity (which doesn't bother me) tells me this.

I think the story writers said the same

It's giving Scorpion King vibes, a dumb fun PG-13 fantasy B-movie. I'm sure it'll be great if you go in without expectations.

Top Bottom