• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Poster for "Dungeons & Dragons" upcoming film

Pejo

And GAF's gonna LOVE it.

pipbhmro534a1.jpg

Zathalus

Well, for one, the costume design looks like it was done at a Spirit Halloween clearance sale. Maybe it's a comedy and supposed to look like that?
I believe the movie is going to have comedic moments in it as befitting a D&D movie. As for the costumes, it's D&D so fits the theme. Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings this is not. Faerun is a rather silly place (in a good way).

Well, for one, the costume design looks like it was done at a Spirit Halloween clearance sale. Maybe it's a comedy and supposed to look like that?
D&D is cosplay. I'd rather the movie look more like D&D than LoTR, and to not take itself seriously. The tone of the trailer and the poster seem pretty on point to be honest. My only fear for the movie is they don't actually lean into it and we end with some weird hybrid movie that doesn't embrace what it should be.

What's up with the bad guy's weird glance? The mage looks like he doesn't know why he's there. The lady at the bottom is possibly asking for the manager. Looks pretty bad to me. I'm not the audience for this though.

Pejo

Movie looks good, not sure what you're getting at.
Looks like "straight to VHS" tier from the poster, but then again I'm not overly familiar with D&D. I played the in-universe videogames, but never the OG tabletop stuff. If it's supposed to be like a parody or tongue-in-cheek, then they nailed it. I guess I'm out of the loop for fan expectations.

Saber

Gold Member
Looks like "straight to VHS" tier from the poster, but then again I'm not overly familiar with D&D. I played the in-universe videogames, but never the OG tabletop stuff. If it's supposed to be like a parody or tongue-in-cheek, then they nailed it. I guess I'm out of the loop for fan expectations.

I agree with yah, doesnt look like overtop in terms of costume. But who knows? Migth still be a good movie despite that(not saying it will), as a fan of D&D at least I hope that.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You could watch the trailer.

AJUMP23

The movie looks like it will be a lot of fun. That poster is bad though. I think the poster should be simplified. Show a dragon and a hero or the entrance to a dungeon.

Also I find Michelle Rodrigues repelling but I will still go see this.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Thread title interested me, but what I saw was what I expected. 90s style fantasy cringe. Awful.

I'm not a fan of D&D. Never played the tabletop game or have any interest in the franchise at all. I saw the trailer for this film and it looks like pure gash. It seriously made me cringe, but maybe that's because I'm not a fan of the franchise and just didn't "get it".

Urban

The only question i had when i watched the trailer is:

How the hell are they going to cramp all of this up in one movie?

Kimahri

Banned
Thread title interested me, but what I saw was what I expected. 90s style fantasy cringe. Awful.

I'm not a fan of D&D. Never played the tabletop game or have any interest in the franchise at all. I saw the trailer for this film and it looks like pure gash. It seriously made me cringe, but maybe that's because I'm not a fan of the franchise and just didn't "get it".

This is not for you.

DnD can be vert serious, but so much stupif shit happens at thr table and I always laugh a lot during sessions. This movie seems to reflect that perfectly.

This is not lotr. This is fun and sully fantasy.

jdforge

Banned
Filmed in Belfast I believe on the old GoT set.

Why can’t we have a movie about the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon?

I just watched the trailer to give a fair assessment and it looks awful. I say this as a Dungeons & Dragons fans since first edition AD&D.

Looks no better than that Jeremy Irons movie that came out a couple decades ago.

Can't wait to see how they'll ruin Warhammer 40,000 when and if that Eisenhorn TV series pops up.

Last edited:

Tumle

The poster looks like a bad photoshop, the cropping lines a visible.. looks like a bad collage.. actually looks like something I made back in OG photoshop..😋
the movie could be fun though😊

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't think that link actually answers my question about the Drow but this from your link:

• We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term.
  • The term "species" was chosen in close coordination with multiple outside cultural consultants.
Is a bizarre form of wordplay that I'm not sure addresses anything within DnD.

JayK47

What is impressive is the theater only release. Brave move these days. Now I know what Captain Kirk has been up to.

Doom85

What is impressive is the theater only release. Brave move these days. Now I know what Captain Kirk has been up to.

DnD popularity has skyrocketed in the past decade due to Critical Role, Stranger Things, and a few others really pushing exposure to the game to many more people than ever before. Even if the D&D movie from the 2000s had been good, it might have still been a box office disappointment or at least made just an okay profit due to the game being more niche before. Nowadays, a good DnD movie can likely do fairly well, but we’ll see.

Something encouraging is the filmmakers said in an interview that while the film could be followed by sequels, this first film itself will be stand alone in terms of story resolution and not trying to throw in a bunch of sequel hooks, spin-off hooks, or such just for the sake of doing so. Although I could see a mid credits scene teasing a future villain, I believe this means the film itself will have a full resolution which is a nice change of pace. I’m fine with Marvel/DC doing it but not everything needs to be like that.

pramod

Banned
It's both funny and ironic that this looks just as cheesy as the original movie.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind campiness or "fun and safe" mainstream style of film that this movie is obviously going for, since after all, the main goal is to make money.

But it just saddens me that us true hardcore D&D fans will never get to see the type of D&D movies we always wanted to see. There's decades of material like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Drizzt, Dragonlance, Ravenloft etc that would be awesome with a high budget production done seriously, but seems like that will never ever happen.

Last edited:
It's both funny and ironic that this looks just as cheesy as the original movie.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind campiness or "fun and safe" mainstream style of film that this movie is obviously going for, since after all, the main goal is to make money.

But it just saddens me that us true hardcore D&D fans will never get to see the type of D&D movies we always wanted to see. There's decades of material like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Drizzt, Dragonlance, Ravenloft etc that would be awesome with a high budget production done seriously, but seems like that will never ever happen.

Perhaps, you never know. If you came up to me in high school and told me that in a few years the 6 issue run of The Infinity Gauntlet that I was reading would be the linchpin of a multi-billion dollar Marvel media empire, I would have called you a looney.

bitbydeath

The poster looks generic sure, but the trailer looks like it’s going to be a really fun movie, like 80’s adventure fun.

FunkMiller

This looks like a massive throwback to 80s style fantasy movies.

And that shit worked like gang busters for Top Gun Maverick. Could be a real surprise hit, if it maintains that attitude.

Last edited:

From my understanding this movie takes place in the Forgotten Realms.

Top Bottom