• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Official Playstation blog] We invite PC players to join us when Horizon Frobidden West comes for Playstation 5

Rikoi

I think you're oversimplifying. But anyway, if at least you have that thought it seems to me more consistent in criticizing Sony for being closed and rejecting its consoles and games. And that was my intention to talk about apple. But to be clear, I don't agree with that idea. I see value in many Apple products as well as Sony. To the point that giving up that today would not give me an alternative for me.
Don't get me wrong, I don't reject playstation games, but I'm very cautious about them looking at their recent change of policy.
I will never buy a Playstation on day 1, because I'm not interested in their castrated censored system, I might be interested in some of their exclusives though. Unfortunately, if I want to play them, I will have to buy the console, so I will just buy a cheap slim version when/if enough games that interest me are released, same thing that I did for ps4.
Things are changing though, I might just avoid buying a playstation next time if they keep releasing their exclusives on PC 1 or 2 years later.
My main platform will always be PC for many reasons that were already stated in this thread by other people.
Also, I'll just leave this here for reference:

Last edited:

Lethal01

I don't really care if a game stops being exclusive years after release. If I really care about the game I'm not going to wait just to play it with some higher settings.

If I wanted to do that I could just wait to play it in 8k 360fps in 2030.

Last edited:
Well, depends of TLOUS2 legs. Just like RDR2. Those game have a tons of crunch and money invested, even with high sale numbers is not enough to take the development cost plus money used on PR.

I like to use RDR2 because RDR1 is not on PC and like TLOUS2 both games have problems with crunch in dev team. In the end of day, is up to Sony.
I am sure RDR2 made the mony back on first day.
generaly, publishers release their games on PC to squeeze more jouice.

Fake

I am sure RDR2 made the mony back on first day.
generaly, publishers release their games on PC to squeeze more jouice.

We can't be sure if they only give us sale numbers, and not the real cost of the game.
Besides, they got the need of make a PC port to get a boost on sales unlike RDR1.

GHG

Gold Member
The thing is, if they want to convince people then they need to do a better job.

Because this port ain't it right now.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
"fro"bidden west?

Are afro's forbidden in this game?

33wFzTa.jpg

fersnake

Don't get me wrong, I don't reject playstation games, but I'm very cautious about them looking at their recent change of policy.
I will never buy a Playstation on day 1, because I'm not interested in their castrated censored system, I might be interested in some of their exclusives though. Unfortunately, if I want to play them, I will have to buy the console, so I will just buy a cheap slim version when/if enough games that interest me are released, same thing that I did for ps4.
Things are changing though, I might just avoid buying a playstation next time if they keep releasing their exclusives on PC 1 or 2 years later.
My main platform will always be PC for many reasons that were already stated in this thread by other people.
Also, I'll just leave this here for reference:

can you please elaborate? never had an issue nearly 20yrs owning a sony's machine neither service or them.

Rikoi

can you please elaborate? never had an issue nearly 20yrs owning a sony's machine neither service or them.
Sure, why should I bother paying full price (sometimes even HIGHER prices for the same game that's available on pc) for games on a console that gives me:
- censored scenes or dialogues (it's literally in the link I posted)
- lower level of details
- lower fps
- unmoddable games
- online behind a paywall
- harsh refund policy
As a PC gamer, obviously I wouldn't be interested.

Last edited:

fersnake

Sure, why should I bother paying full price (sometimes even HIGHER prices for the same game that's available on pc) for games on a console that gives me:
- censored scenes or dialogues (it's literally in the link I posted)
- lower level of details
- lower fps
- unmoddable games
- online behind a paywall
- harsh refund policy
As a PC gamer, obviously I wouldn't be interested.

thanks for the reply

- well those censored things are for the most part JP region, dont know if your japanese but ok.
- all those technical detail you mention sure its a closed platform we all know at hand we are getting into nobody can spect an unlimited power machine so you can throw at it everything.
-online pay well.... servers are not free plus they give to their subscribers something in exchange like "free games" etc.
- the refund policy never had a problem with that cuz first i try to do a research first and if the game im gonna buy it runs great (if that's was your problem refunding the game) if not well if i buy something i dont regret buying it and stick with it so that's why i never had that issue.

and as a PC gamer too i really love it for all those things you said. like we can get better performance, modding, free online etc but i love playing playstation games (exclusives mostly) as a ps fan for nearly 20yrs im not gonna change or stop buying their stuff cuz like i say i dont have issues with the products or services they provide.

i am afraid, with PS4 prices not dropping. A PC looks like better value than the playstation.
PC with RX570 = 400$, this does death stranding 60fps @1080p. 40fps @1440p.
PS4 Pro = 400$ does death stranding @30fps @1440p.
If you really want to sway consumers, drop console prices.
This statement will be invalid in about 3 months.

Also I'd love for you to spec me a PC with an RX570 for less than $400.

Last edited:

Aladin

B BattleScar
They know there will be a replacement for gtx 1060 and rx570. For hundred dollars more, they get a console killer and flexibility of pc platform. there will always be two groups, one which would save 100$ and go with console, and the other group going with PC

bAiiNyj.png

408$ with 8$ shipping charge for the case. I have a similar build, i spent a bit less with many old parts reused.

B BattleScar
They know there will be a replacement for gtx 1060 and rx570.

bAiiNyj.png

408$ with 8$ shipping charge for the case. I have a similar build, i spent a bit less with many old parts reused.
Not bad. You haven't added in a CPU cooler, cause a stock cooler on a 9100F isn't gonna be good enough, but I suppose that's splitting hairs.
Anyway, the PS4 Pro will probably see a price cut once the PS5 launches, so it still won't matter much.

For hundred dollars more, they get a console killer and flexibility of pc platform. there will always be two groups, one which would save 100$ and go with console, and the other group going with PC

$100 more? $100 more than what for starters? A PS5?
Lets say the PS5 costs $500. That gives you a budget of $600. So you need to build a PC that is as fast as a PS5 for $600. I say good luck to you.

Also, the replacement for the 1060 and RX570 already exist. The 1650 Super and 5500XT. Both of these can be had from around $200 for a decent quality AIB. They're not bad, but overpriced for their performance. You could get an RX590 for similar money and get a few more frames. Add in a R3 3300X for about $120 and you have a half decent rig. But then you also need to factor in the case, at least 16GB of reasonably quick DDR4 RAM, a half-decent NVME SSD, and a half-decent B450/550 Mobo. $70 for 16GB of RAM, About $50 for a small NVME m.2 SSD, (Optionally plus another $30 on a 1TB Mass storage HDD). Maybe $100 on B450 mobo. Sure you could optimise that a bit. About $50 for an adequate PSU. So you're looking at around $520 all told. Optimise and lets call it $500

Now this PC would be significantly slower than the PS5 and wayyy slower than an Xbox Series X.
You could upgrade to a 5700 for about $300 for a decent AIB. That brings total cost up to $600. And you're still slower than the PS5.
Upgrade to a 5700 XT for about $350, and you're up to $650, and you're still slower than a PS5.
Upgrade to a base 2080 Super and you're probably a touch faster than the PS5, but the GPU alone would set you back a tasty $700, so you're sitting with a 3300X and 2080S PC build at around $1000.
And you have a huge CPU bottleneck.

If you want to match spec-for-spec, you'd probably need a 4700GE (Renoir APU), which alone would probably be about $300. So your price goes up again to about $1200.

Now, I am more than aware that new CPU's and GPU's are coming from AMD and Nvidia. But if you think you're getting 2080 performance for $200, you're absolutely dreaming. Likelihood is the 3070/6700 will be around PS5 performance, for about $400, maybe 350 or even 300 in a best case scenario.
Zen 3 might bring some great performance uplifts for the CPU side, so maybe you could get an R5 4600 (Vermeer) for about $220 at launch that could maybe match a 4700GE?
But ultimately you're looking at $520 for the CPU and GPU alone next generation at best. Very likely could be $570 or $600+ just for the CPU and GPU. Add in the RAM, NVME M.2 SSD, and all the other stuff you need and you're looking at, at least $1000.
And that's just to match a PS5. The Xbox Series X sits somewhere between a 2080S and 2080 Ti - likely closer to the Ti. Which will probably need a $500 next-gen GPU to match.

My point here is. Consoles are value products. You can't beat a console in terms of value for money at launch with a PC. And I can assure the difference in price between a console and an equivalently performing PC will be much higher than just $100

Last edited:

Aladin

Not bad. You haven't added in a CPU cooler, cause a stock cooler on a 9100F isn't gonna be good enough, but I suppose that's splitting hairs.
Anyway, the PS4 Pro will probably see a price cut once the PS5 launches, so it still won't matter much.

$100 more? $100 more than what for starters? A PS5?
Lets say the PS5 costs $500. That gives you a budget of $600. So you need to build a PC that is as fast as a PS5 for $600. I say good luck to you.

Also, the replacement for the 1060 and RX570 already exist. The 1650 Super and 5500XT. Both of these can be had from around $200 for a decent quality AIB. They're not bad, but overpriced for their performance. You could get an RX590 for similar money and get a few more frames. Add in a R3 3300X for about $120 and you have a half decent rig. But then you also need to factor in the case, at least 16GB of reasonably quick DDR4 RAM, a half-decent NVME SSD, and a half-decent B450/550 Mobo. $70 for 16GB of RAM, About $50 for a small NVME m.2 SSD, (Optionally plus another $30 on a 1TB Mass storage HDD). Maybe $100 on B450 mobo. Sure you could optimise that a bit. About $50 for an adequate PSU. So you're looking at around $520 all told. Optimise and lets call it $500

Now this PC would be significantly slower than the PS5 and wayyy slower than an Xbox Series X.
You could upgrade to a 5700 for about $300 for a decent AIB. That brings total cost up to $600. And you're still slower than the PS5.
Upgrade to a 5700 XT for about $350, and you're up to $650, and you're still slower than a PS5.
Upgrade to a base 2080 Super and you're probably a touch faster than the PS5, but the GPU alone would set you back a tasty $700, so you're sitting with a 3300X and 2080S PC build at around $1000.
And you have a huge CPU bottleneck.

If you want to match spec-for-spec, you'd probably need a 4700GE (Renoir APU), which alone would probably be about $300. So your price goes up again to about $1200.

Now, I am more than aware that new CPU's and GPU's are coming from AMD and Nvidia. But if you think you're getting 2080 performance for $200, you're absolutely dreaming. Likelihood is the 3070/6700 will be around PS5 performance, for about $400, maybe 350 or even 300 in a best case scenario.
Zen 3 might bring some great performance uplifts for the CPU side, so maybe you could get an R5 4600 (Vermeer) for about $220 at launch that could maybe match a 4700GE?
But ultimately you're looking at $520 for the CPU and GPU alone next generation at best. Very likely could be $570 or $600+ just for the CPU and GPU. Add in the RAM, NVME M.2 SSD, and all the other stuff you need and you're looking at, at least $1000.
And that's just to match a PS5. The Xbox Series X sits somewhere between a 2080S and 2080 Ti - likely closer to the Ti. Which will probably need a $500 next-gen GPU to match.

My point here is. Consoles are value products. You can't beat a console in terms of value for money at launch with a PC. And I can assure the difference in price between a console and an equivalently performing PC will be much higher than just $100
You are right. Budget gpu cards of a particular gen ( i think ) are released a few months after the expensive gpu cards come out. Rigging a budget PC to beat PS5 would have to wait.

And in developing world, PC means piracy. Hackers take 6 months to 1.5 years to crack a game. Waiting for gpu cards to come out is no big deal. I am moving from a PC to a console, because i can afford games now.

Top Bottom