• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-TV photos of Resident Evil in 240p

Daaaamnn... OG PlayStation cases... also cut you fingernails
Haha, then how would I do my...coke? Crack? I dunno one of those sniffy drugs. Anyway too funny you said that, I had just cut my thumbnail when I saw this thread, I ran downstairs real quick, snapped that pic, then finished cutting my nails 😅

I looked back at the thread and was like, bah nobody will notice. I ignored one of the cardinal rules of the internet.

Haha, then how would I do my...coke? Crack? I dunno one of those sniffy drugs. Anyway too funny you said that, I had just cut my thumbnail when I saw this thread, I ran downstairs real quick, snapped that pic, then finished cutting my nails 😅

I looked back at the thread and was like, bah nobody will notice. I ignored one of the cardinal rules of the internet.

Jury Duty Dog GIF by Saturday Night Live

guilty on all counts GIF by Oxygen

Soodanim

Just to show what's capable with shaders these days, here's a couple quick shots in RetroArch with two different presets from the fantastic CyberLab Death To Pixels shader pack, running at 1080p with 2x internal resolution. Don't worry InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo , the screenshots were taken in the superior Director's Cut to make up for fart's poor life choices.

Make sure you view these in full size, they look funky squashed.
UktgxNn.png

SKUaKRl.png

Please explain!
PM me for more info if you need it, but in short: PC ports, modern patches. You get extra features, great results. Hi-res models, smoother, faster everything, quick turn, quick reload, mod support, etc etc. The main drawback is the difference between the quality of the models and the backgrounds, but I think a ReShade port of a RetroArch shader (I've seen them floating about) might be able to be applied to get the best of both worlds.

2 and 3 have more features than 1 does, right now, and the creator of the patches seems to have stopped working on RE for the time being, but hopefully he returns before long because he had some more changes in the works (scroll down to August and you get some good RE1 stuff).

xJWHgsz.png

The only thing my screenshots lack is your preference for an extremely dark image, but that can always be achieved through other means.

This is really interesting, can you really play any PSX game on a TV via this method? I've been trying to figure out the best way to play translated PSX games on an actual TV, and the current "best" solution I can figure out would be to mod my console like it's 1995 (which I don't wanna do) and actually burn CDRs. But if I could just buy a PSP and output in 240p..... This is very tempting.
PSIO would be better for what you are describing.

PSPGo is my go to PSone needs, but I don't output to TV.
I do know that not all games work. For instance, I wanted to play Dragon Quest 7 the other week but it doesn't display correctly on the PSPgo. Not entirely sure why, but I'm guessing it has to do with the soft-modding/emulation aspect. I'm assuming the PSP is emulating PSX games so purists might scoff at it but it works for me and is the only way that I'm aware of to get 240p without an actual PSX. Even with a PSX console, you'd need the RGB/Scart cable and that stuff didn't really exist in NA as far as I know.
Dragon Quest 7 should work, you're probably using the wrong POPS (the name of the PSP playstation emulator).

I'm a bit rusty here, but you need to install the latest popsloader, enable it on VSH menu, and when booting the game, hold R. Then you'll be able to select from various versions of the emulator.

It's (again, I'm rusty) either down to the game being incompatible with the default Pops version of your console, or down to the container that was done for an outdated version of the emulator.

EDIT: make sure you install the latest popsloader and are on the latest firmware. And on the menu use Popsloader 4.01. Seems to be what works for the version you have, if you didn't built it yourself and are using the version that is going around.

Last edited:

radewagon

Yes I wholesomely agree. Cranking brightness too much just ruins the aesthetics.

Im gonna go a bit off topic, but this thread reminded me of the old LoTR cartoon by Bakshi. I remember watching it on TV as a kid, and years later I ended up buying it on DVD. But it looked so different. Everything was way too bright. It seriously destroyed all the mood. CORRECT SETTINGS MATTER!!!

What it looked like:
tc6DvR3.jpg

What it should've looked like:
7lS89Lu.jpg
Ooof. It shouldn't really look like either of those screens. The top one has the brightness and color boosted to an unnatural level, but the bottom is far too dark with washed out colors. Both exhibit awful black crush. Bakshi's LOTR may not have been a high budget flick like the modern films but it also wasn't a lo-fi grindhouse affair.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

PSPGo is my go to PSone needs, but I don't output to TV.

Dragon Quest 7 should work, you're probably using the wrong POPS (the name of the PSP playstation emulator).

I'm a bit rusty here, but you need to install the latest popsloader, enable it on VSH menu, and when booting the game, hold R. Then you'll be able to select from various versions of the emulator.

It's (again, I'm rusty) either down to the game being incompatible with the default Pops version of your console, or down to the container that was done for an outdated version of the emulator.

EDIT: make sure you install the latest popsloader and are on the latest firmware. And on the menu use Popsloader 4.01. Seems to be what works for the version you have, if you didn't built it yourself and are using the version that is going around.
You're right but that sounds like way too much work, lol.

Stwitch

Neo Member
I actually went backwards through the first three resident evil games for the PS1. Resident Evil 3 was the first one I played and I loved it, the fast pace and the beautifully detailed pre-rendered backgrounds. The next one was Resident Evil 2, I adored that game, the exploration, the scenarios…..Last I played was Resident Evil 1. It felt slower and more methodical. The atmosphere blows the others away, it was a genuinely creepy and claustrophobic game. Still love it to this day.

Also a legendary soundtrack.

It has one of my absolute favorite tracks in the original resident evil trilogy, which is saying a lot because those games are chock full of awesome music.

This one is called "Joy of Life" and plays when you successfully solve the "cradle to grave" puzzle in the crow room to get the Star Crest.

Fun fact- this was used in a early RE trailer while roaming about various rooms, gave the whole game some kind of DOOM like vibe

Been playing the PSPgo quite a bit lately, mainly FFIX but I remembered that PSX titles on the PSPgo can output 240p via the component cables hooked up to a CRT. I usually have all my stuff hooked up to a primitive capture device with S-Video being the output. In this case I actually plugged the component cables into the TV.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

This is the OG 1996 release, I ripped my own disc and copied it over to the soft-modded PSPgo. This isn't a stealth brag thread, I genuinely want to help show how wonderful the pixel art is in this game. I also want to showcase how moody the game can be, it seems like everyone on YouTube has the brightness cranked to 11 while playing this game. Not all games are the same, get in there fuck around with the brightness, contrast, etc. Resident Evil has a ton of primitive "lighting" going on but you won't notice any of it if you're playing the game with awful video settings.

That being said, these photos are slightly darker than what my TV is displaying. I could adjust it in post but it's not that important. Mostly just wanted to show Jill's pixel art face.

Lastly, someone in the PSX vs N64 thread said that PSX games are ugly, regardless of which monitor that you play it on. SMDH, have we really forgot where we came from!?!?!?!?!?!

I hope some of you get a kick out of this.

R5g1tJj.jpg

q5tGFhB.jpg

2TKNPlt.jpg

aDX4nH8.jpg

UHY5mqb.jpg

xLdimnI.jpg

oZoaQ1X.jpg

kibx3x2.jpg

wTAIf86.jpg

cz8kNFr.jpg

mhZFU7M.jpg

2SZ6C8e.jpg

(this one is kinda washed out, raised the brightness to help show the gore)

k7Ym0tN.jpg

uuLtUXi.jpg

MwxPApT.jpg

79OCrpo.jpg

So yea, next time you play RE on the PSX or via an emulator, adjust the frigging video settings so it doesn't look like you're playing on the surface of the sun. Resident Evil still holds up flawlessly in terms of atmosphere and graphics. Yea the voice acting is bad but....
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

I'm tired of seeing the OG RE mostly viewed as some kind of joke. Screw that, it's one of the best games in the series and legit one of the greatest games ever made.

Happy gaming GAF!
Wow great writeup OP!

Seeing the passion for gaming like this is rubbing off on me, I was in a bad spot with gaming before but things like this remind me why gaming is great!

I have a PSPGo that I have various survival horror media on, amongst other games. I should play Chaos Break on it sometime (yes, I got it's PAL release which is where the rip I use to emulate originates from!)

Good point about component cables in CRTs! They really can enhance the image quality in a way that doesn't ruin the original vision of a game's artstyle. I played various PS2 games like Devil May Cry and Okami with S video on a CRT...those were the days! I don't think S video is the same as the component quality but it was a step above the default composite!

Happy gaming to you and the rest of GAF!

ymoc

Hell yea, brilliant movie. The live action aspect makes those characters so damn creepy.

Fantastic example.
So true. I love how darker it is especially compared to Jackson's version. It's a shame they ran out of budget and never finished the story.

You really should make an OT dedicated to it (im too lazy to make one). I'm pretty sure we haven't had one yet. I'm positive many don't even know it exists and have no clue there was a LoTR animated movie before Jacksons trilogy. It'd be a proper blast from the past.

ymoc

Ooof. It shouldn't really look like either of those screens. The top one has the brightness and color boosted to an unnatural level, but the bottom is far too dark with washed out colors. Both exhibit awful black crush. Bakshi's LOTR may not have been a high budget flick like the modern films but it also wasn't a lo-fi grindhouse affair.
You'll have to excuse the quality. I'm on mobile and just found that image online and made it a bit darker on my phone. It's of course not exactly what it should look like, but its much closer. All screencaps I see online have the contrasts and brightness cranked waaay up, just like the example. I don't actually have any good source material. My DVD edition is quite crappy too. Sadly.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The truly Monster was the GameCube remake, at that time on a CRT it felt real, it was really close to CGI. The hd remaster on modern TVs/monitor do not look the same
I was playing the Wii version a month or so back. Ordered REmake and Zero so I could play them on the Wii U gamepad, lol. I figured that since the Wii U gamepad displays 480p, they'd probably look great on it. The games do to a point but it's still 4:3 so the image is kind of small... Playing those games with the Wiimote held sideways is surprisingly comfy as can be though. The B button readies your weapon which feels weird at first but I got used to it quickly.

My brother has my GCN copies, I should probably get them to test out how they'd look on my TV.

xPikYx

I was playing the Wii version a month or so back. Ordered REmake and Zero so I could play them on the Wii U gamepad, lol. I figured that since the Wii U gamepad displays 480p, they'd probably look great on it. The games do to a point but it's still 4:3 so the image is kind of small... Playing those games with the Wiimote held sideways is surprisingly comfy as can be though. The B button readies your weapon which feels weird at first but I got used to it quickly.

My brother has my GCN copies, I should probably get them to test out how they'd look on my TV.
It's not something I can describe but I played those games when they were meant to be played, I did it on Gamecube at launch, for me ReRemake was a killer application, on a shitty CRT connected with a RGB cable. It was incredible, looking at it today doesn't have the same effect, on whatever console different from the GameCube and whatever tv/monitor different from a CRT

PSIO has compatibility issues too though doesn't it? Besides my PSX doesn't have a parallel port because I had to return my original console to Sony for a replacement back in the day and that's what they returned to me.

Conceptually it's awesome though, shame that for all the cart consoles you can just buy an Everdrive pretty much and be done with it, but for the CD ones it is a total pain. If only the USB of the PS2 could interface with the native PSX emulation, that would be perfect. Dealing with that Pops stuff just doesn't seem worth it.

PSIO has compatibility issues too though doesn't it? Besides my PSX doesn't have a parallel port because I had to return my original console to Sony for a replacement back in the day and that's what they returned to me.

7 reported games with problems, 99,91% compatibility rate.

Granted, you need the parallel port, but those are the best models and what people try to buy used. and it still has a small mod to it.

Impotaku

For me the old ones are just as fun as the 2 & 3 remakes so i didn't abandon the old series just because the fancy new ones came out they tell the story in their own ways. I thankfully have a complete set on gamecube from zero to 4, i used to have them all on my PS1 the original time i owned one but i sold them on and when i re bought a ps1 years later i have yet to add them back into my library for my current PS1 but the jpn versions are pretty cheap so i'll get them eventually. The PS1 looks rough on modern displays and the lamemeister did a piss poor job of scaling the image as it added too much lag and the resolution switching delay was a nightmare for that console. Thankfully yesterday my retrotink 5x arrived & it's given my console a whole new lease of life i can play PS1 with a stunning image that's extremely close to a CRT thanks to the new really cool filters that were added in the latest fw update plus it now doesn't drop the image when the screen changes resolutions either making rhythm game stuff playable again.

Going back to biohazard 1 i found the cheesy dialogue pretty offputting it's quite jarring with the atmosphere of the mansion it kind of ruins the immersion when the lines are delivered so badly, capcom never intended it to be some cheesy B movie parody it's just the voice acting was atrocious but the atmosphere was amazing all the same and to be fair it was their first ever attempt at something like this i know they did sweet home but it's not the same as biohazard. This was literally the start of the modern horror genre for the mainstream. While some people don't like the remake of bio 1 i loved it as not only did it look incredible but they now had competent voice acting and the intro video was also well done keeping it how it was intended to be. Spooky & serious not some campy jaunt to a horror mansion.

cireza

Banned
Been playing the PSPgo quite a bit lately, mainly FFIX but I remembered that PSX titles on the PSPgo can output 240p via the component cables hooked up to a CRT. I usually have all my stuff hooked up to a primitive capture device with S-Video being the output. In this case I actually plugged the component cables into the TV.

This is the OG 1996 release, I ripped my own disc and copied it over to the soft-modded PSPgo. This isn't a stealth brag thread, I genuinely want to help show how wonderful the pixel art is in this game. I also want to showcase how moody the game can be, it seems like everyone on YouTube has the brightness cranked to 11 while playing this game. Not all games are the same, get in there fuck around with the brightness, contrast, etc. Resident Evil has a ton of primitive "lighting" going on but you won't notice any of it if you're playing the game with awful video settings.

That being said, these photos are slightly darker than what my TV is displaying. I could adjust it in post but it's not that important. Mostly just wanted to show Jill's pixel art face.

Lastly, someone in the PSX vs N64 thread said that PSX games are ugly, regardless of which monitor that you play it on. SMDH, have we really forgot where we came from!?!?!?!?!?!

R5g1tJj.jpg

q5tGFhB.jpg

2TKNPlt.jpg

aDX4nH8.jpg

UHY5mqb.jpg

xLdimnI.jpg

oZoaQ1X.jpg

kibx3x2.jpg

wTAIf86.jpg

cz8kNFr.jpg

mhZFU7M.jpg

2SZ6C8e.jpg

k7Ym0tN.jpg

uuLtUXi.jpg

MwxPApT.jpg

79OCrpo.jpg

So yea, next time you play RE on the PSX or via an emulator, adjust the frigging video settings so it doesn't look like you're playing on the surface of the sun. Resident Evil still holds up flawlessly in terms of atmosphere and graphics. Yea the voice acting is bad but....
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

I'm tired of seeing the OG RE mostly viewed as some kind of joke. Screw that, it's one of the best games in the series and legit one of the greatest games ever made.

Happy gaming GAF!
240p was the standard output back then on PS1 and Saturn for most games. On CRT, it looks fantastic.

GrayFoxPL

R5g1tJj.jpg

q5tGFhB.jpg

2TKNPlt.jpg

aDX4nH8.jpg

UHY5mqb.jpg

xLdimnI.jpg

oZoaQ1X.jpg

kibx3x2.jpg

wTAIf86.jpg

cz8kNFr.jpg

mhZFU7M.jpg

2SZ6C8e.jpg

k7Ym0tN.jpg

uuLtUXi.jpg

MwxPApT.jpg

79OCrpo.jpg

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Happy gaming GAF!

Superb thread .Awesome screenshots. Yeah, RE1 is still the best!

Keanu Reeves Thumbs Up GIF by Lionsgate

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just to show what's capable with shaders these days, here's a couple quick shots in RetroArch with two different presets from the fantastic CyberLab Death To Pixels shader pack, running at 1080p with 2x internal resolution. Don't worry InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo , the screenshots were taken in the superior Director's Cut to make up for fart's poor life choices.

Make sure you view these in full size, they look funky squashed.
UktgxNn.png

SKUaKRl.png

PM me for more info if you need it, but in short: PC ports, modern patches. You get extra features, great results. Hi-res models, smoother, faster everything, quick turn, quick reload, mod support, etc etc. The main drawback is the difference between the quality of the models and the backgrounds, but I think a ReShade port of a RetroArch shader (I've seen them floating about) might be able to be applied to get the best of both worlds.

2 and 3 have more features than 1 does, right now, and the creator of the patches seems to have stopped working on RE for the time being, but hopefully he returns before long because he had some more changes in the works (scroll down to August and you get some good RE1 stuff).

xJWHgsz.png

The only thing my screenshots lack is your preference for an extremely dark image, but that can always be achieved through other means.
Ohh, the Seamless HD project? I've read and watched videos about that. Great stuff.

playXray

It's been so long since I played the original, thanks to the fact that there's no decent version of it in english available officially (it's Dual Shock only on PSN and fuck that), and I can't wrap my head around Retroarch, which I want for those sweet CRT filters.

It pretty much is.
What's wrong with the Dual Shock / Director's Cut versions?

7 reported games with problems, 99,91% compatibility rate.

Granted, you need the parallel port, but those are the best models and what people try to buy used. and it still has a small mod to it.
You know what, there is a whole other avenue that totally slipped my mind: the tonyhax and FreePSXBoot exploits that were recently discovered. Hopefully I can use my PS2 to create the memory card and I can just do it that way. Looks like a have a project to mess with this weekend lol. I just hope the cheap ass CD burner I ordered is up to the task, the one I used to use back in the day is IDE, so no go installing it in my computer...

Soodanim

Ohh, the Seamless HD project? I've read and watched videos about that. Great stuff.
Not yet. I forgot about that, so thanks for the reminder. SHDP is a texture pack applied to the GameCube versions through Dolphin. www.reshdp.com does mention Gemini's patches as coming at some point.

That's 3 different ways to play an enhanced classic RE1-3. I think once SHDP is usable on the PC versions, that will be the definitive version. Although personally I'm not a fan of some of their changes, like the inventory which looks just plain bad to me.

playXray

Director's Cut standalone is fine and imo the best all-round version of the original. The Dual Shock edition is the version with the infamous alternate music.
Ah Ok, never played that one, just the original and the Director's Cut. Can't believe the DC isn't on PSN! Then again, the same is true with a whole load of classic PS1 games. At least I have my PS3 + old PS1 discs!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Director's Cut standalone is fine and imo the best all-round version of the original. The Dual Shock edition is the version with the infamous alternate music.
Do you know if the original Director's Cut still has auto-aim turned on?

That's my only issue with Director's Cut, I feel like auto-aim makes the game way too easy. I'm pretty sure that DC also increased the Ink Ribbons (3 instead of 2), and I think the Hunters take less ammo to kill.

That's why the OG 1996 version will always be my personal favorite. One of those instances where tacked on difficulty measures made an improvement on the game. Not that the game is insanely difficult, but I love having to master the aiming and that Hunters are always a threat.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ah Ok, never played that one, just the original and the Director's Cut. Can't believe the DC isn't on PSN! Then again, the same is true with a whole load of classic PS1 games. At least I have my PS3 + old PS1 discs!
PAL regions got the OG DC on the PSN and that version is also on the PSX Classic but there's the whole thing with PAL games not being optimized for NA regions.

Not entirely sure how that works, I think it has something to do with framerate or input delay. I'm sure someone can explain it better than I can.

Neff

Can't believe the DC isn't on PSN!

DC is on Japanese PSN, but the game unfortunately doesn't have any english option.

Do you know if the original Director's Cut still has auto-aim turned on?

It does, and I'm pretty sure most of the versions after the Western first release do.

I'm torn on the auto-aim in RE1. On the one hand, the game clearly isn't designed with it in mind, and it makes some encounters unnecessarily frustrating and luck-prone. For that reason I would hesitate to recommend the non-auto-aim version to a new player. It's also incredibly useful upon entering a room to bring up your weapon to see if there are any enemies in your character's line of sight if the camera angle obscures them, which of course in the original you can't do, so you have to run into new areas blindly.

On the other hand, I'm really glad I initially played it without auto-aim, because by god that was a tense experience. I believe the original western version also has lower HP for both characters, meaning every encounter could potentially ruin your day if you screwed up. RE1 Hunters are no joke even if you have auto-aim, but without it, those fuckers are to be feared.

Last edited:
The real problem with those CRT shaders on LCD/OLED, is what happens the second you introduce motion to the comparison. Yeah in static screenshots it looks good, but these are full persistence displays and the second your eyes start tracking something across the screen, the shaders will blur together in a way they don't with a real CRT. The only hope to counteract this is with very short light bursts with something like OLED which has sub 1ms response times. This would be able to replicate motion clarity of CRT and maintain the shader details in motion, but it would also drastically reduce brightness of an already dim technology and potentially introduce permanent damage issues to the panel from the simulated CRT slot/shadow mask filter flickering on and off rapidly.

Shadowmask filters with some blur is getting pretty damn close to making old games look how they should. I took this on my MISTer on a 55" OLED LG over HDMI

FIau46HX0Agxf9B

FIaum3tWYAYME23
I don't know if you can mix and match filters, but mixing one of these shadowmask filters with the composite version of Blargg would probably get REALLY close. I don't think just blurring would do it, but something like Blargg that mimmicks NTSC should look great.

Soodanim

The real problem with those CRT shaders on LCD/OLED, is what happens the second you introduce motion to the comparison. Yeah in static screenshots it looks good, but these are full persistence displays and the second your eyes start tracking something across the screen, the shaders will blur together in a way they don't with a real CRT. The only hope to counteract this is with very short light bursts with something like OLED which has sub 1ms response times. This would be able to replicate motion clarity of CRT and maintain the shader details in motion, but it would also drastically reduce brightness of an already dim technology and potentially introduce permanent damage issues to the panel from the simulated CRT slot/shadow mask filter flickering on and off rapidly.
FWIW, RetroArch has black frame insertion and run-ahead to help with both the display and input lag flaws of non-CRT.
I don't know if you can mix and match filters, but mixing one of these shadowmask filters with the composite version of Blargg would probably get REALLY close. I don't think just blurring would do it, but something like Blargg that mimmicks NTSC should look great.
I’m probably going to sound like a broken record if I keep saying RetroArch, but it’s all I use. But it can mix and match filters and shaders. You can apply as many as you like and change the parameters to tweak to your liking.

That's the reason why I'm still keeping my ancient CRT. Low resolution (240p) mask imperfections very well (even low poly character models starts looking somewhat pleasing to my eyes), and without upscaling even 240p 2D backgrounds are sharp. PSX games looks the best on CRT, and not just because 240p is less aliased on CRT, but also because colors and contrast is way supperior compared to modern LCD's. But I must say, with some CRT filters and OLED display you can get close, and especially if you will turn off automatic brightness limiter (otherwise SDR content is too dim on OLEDS. and you need addtional brighness if you going to use shadows mask / scanline filters).

Gonna say it maybe totally off subject but Some broadcast SD CRT monitors have given picture quality better than HD TV’s
I think that might be because of how small the display is. It's essentially the same thing as taking a 1080p 24 inch display and playing a 320x240 game at 1x scale in the middle of it. If you blow that picture up to fullscreen it's going to look worse but a lot of that is from essentially zooming in the pixels in a way that you can't do with the small CRT. Some of those broadcast professional CRTs are super tiny. Like 8" or so. Helps keep things looking sharp but in a fairly uncomfortable window size.

For me the holy grail in the future is going to be something like MicroLED which has all the benefits of OLED (per pixel illumination for infinite contrast ratio, flawless viewing angles, no backlight bleed etc) but none of the drawbacks (burn in, poor brightness.) Imagine a MicroLED display with the following dream specs:

• 8k resolution
• 960hz internal refresh rate (for taking a 60hz real signal from your computer and turning it into a rolling scanline with 1ms updates)
• 12 bit color
• 2000 nits or more sustained in full persistence mode, 200 nits or more in rolling scanline mode

With that caliber display, you'd have the perfect tool for both modern HD content with HDR and super high resolution, but you'd also be able to replicate the retro CRT look flawlessly with enough pixels to accurately draw a detailed slot mask and deconvergence along with rolling scanlines for buttery smooth motion clarity. I hope I live long enough to see such a display come to market, even if I can't afford it just knowing it's out there would make me happy.

Top Bottom