• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD - What are your top 20 games and why?

Leo9

Dec 23, 2020
Kotor 1, 2
Starcraft 1,2
Homeworld 1,2
Haegemonia: Legions of Iron
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Dragon Age;: Origins
X2: The threat,
X3: Reunion.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Dec 24, 2020
I'm not gonna list individual games in a series because that would feel redundant, so I'm just gonna list the name of the franchise where applicable, or a specific game from the series that was more important for me than the others. That should be enough. The TOP 5 is kinda in order, but after that it's just random titles that popped into my head:

1. Doom
2. Silent Hill
3. Mass Effect
4. Homeworld
5. Knights of The Old Republic
6. Halo
7. Dragon Age
8. Return To Castle Wolfenstein
9. Quake
10. Alien Isolation
11. Need For Speed Underground
12. Grand Theft Auto 3
13. Jedi Knight 2
14. The Witcher 3
15. Uncharted
16. Metal Gear Solid
17. W40k Dawn of War
18. Fallout 3
19. Bioshock
20. Call of Duty

These are all games that somehow influenced me over the years or resonate with me on an emotional level. Not necessarily because of the writing and the story but for various reasons that would be too long to list. But just as an example, Doom series has always been hugely influential for me in terms of my gaming tastes, as well as learning about game design, serving as an inspirational success story for the company that made it, or just being so damn fun. To the point where I could fire up any Doom game at any time and have a blast with it 100% of the time. The latter is true for pretty much any game/series in this list.

Contrast that with a series like Silent Hill that resonated with me primarily due to how expertly it manipulated you on a psychological level to instil a sense of dread and scare the fuck out of you. Silent Hill 2 was also a very emotional experience for my teenage self, and I remember falling in love with the series to the point of obsession. It's also significant because it helped me find a community of like-minded people, many of which I'm still friends with to this day. It started out with passionate discussions about the lore behind the series on some small message board in a forgotten corner of the internet, but in time it bloomed into one of the seminal periods of my life. And all this thanks to a little PS1 game that could...

Last edited:

mxbison

Dec 9, 2020
In no order:

Street Fighter 2
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Fallout
Half-Life
Dota 2
WoW Vanilla
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawk 3
Valkyria Chronicles
The Last of Us 2
God of War 3
Uncharted 2
Hades
Persona 5 Royal
Cup Head
Rayman Legends
Assassins Creed 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Half-Life: Alyx
Astro Bot: Resuce Mission

8BiTw0LF

Jun 5, 2013
No particular order:

Tetris (GB version)
Super Mario Bros 3
Mega Man 3
Monkey Island
Alien Breed: Special Edition
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
Street Fighter 2
Doom
Mortal Kombat 2
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo 3: V-Spec
Burnout 3: Takedown
GTA: Vice City
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Halo Reach
Destiny
Apex Legends
Returnal

supernova8

Jun 2, 2020
These are not really in order, just off the top of my head the few games I enjoyed enough to either play through to completion or play for many many hours than other games (I usually have a low attention span). Also I'll count games in the same series as "one" to fit more games into the 20:

01. Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2
02. Wind Waker
03. Pokemon Red/Blue
04. Gran Turismo 3/4
05. Breath of Fire
06. Advanced Wars 2
07. Full Spectrum Warrior
08. Tekken Tag Tournament
09. Broken Sword
10. FIFA 2001
11. Perfect Dark
12. Half Life 2
13. Constructor
14. Republic: the Revolution
15. World of Warcraft (the original and up to maybe Lich King)
16. Dark Age of Camelot
17. Grand Theft Auto 3
18. Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 4
19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
20. Counter Strike Source

(I get the feeling nobody is actually reading each other's list so seems a bit pointless but hey)

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
Without much thought going in this will be my list

1. TLoZ: OoT
  2. Paper Mario
  3. TLoZ: MM
  4. Super Mario 64
  5. Resident Evil
  6. Halo 2
  7. Shadow of the Colossus
  8. Mario Party 2
  9. Mario Kart 64
  10. Resident Evil 4
  11. Super Mario Sunshine
  12. GTA: Vice City
  13. GTA: San Andreas
  14. Halo 3
  15. Super Mario RPG
  16. SSX Tricky
  17. Yoshi's Story
  18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
  19. TLoZ: BotW
  20. TLoZ: TWW

k_trout

Apr 25, 2013
dromazone.bandcamp.com
death stranding
system shock 2
deus ex
nier automata
generation zero
inside
portal 2
oblivion
machinarium
alien isolation
stalker soc
half life 2
hl alyx
doom 3
quantum break
counter strike source
halo 1 ctf
crysis
hellblade
xevious

in no particular order

Gameplaylover

Jul 26, 2021
I'll stick to Pc this time:

Dungeon Keeper 1 + 2
Starcraft
Command and Conquer Series
Emperor: Battle for Dune
Theme Hospital
World of Warcraft
Zoo Tycoon 1+2
Forza Horizon 5
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max
Total War Series
Monkey Island 1-3
Chivalry
Blake Stone
Evil Genious
Blood
Shadow Warrior 1
Duke 3D
Doom 1+2
Wolfenstein Series

Last edited:

Ozzy Onya A2Z

Apr 16, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
There are so many games I've left out but stuck to off the top of my head -

1. Halo 2, literal gaming crack. I was so addicted.

2. Apex Legends, gaming meth. I am addicted.

3. Mario 64, changed everything.

4. Destiny, best PvE game going.

5. Forza Horizon 5, this is how you execute on developing a fun game to supreme polish.

6. Rayman Legends, simply one of the best platformers ever to play coop and I/family have revisted for years and years.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, needs no introduction.

8. Street Fighter II Turbo, the real first game to be in the arcade and at home on consoles to blow up your gaming life. What a game.

9. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, so many stoner days with friends taking turns and killing each others combos and high scores day after day.

10. Mario Kart 64, 4 player couch mayhem and so many sore arms and friends made. If you didn't play MK64 you didn't enter our house back then.

11. DOOM 2016, I'd post DOOM or Wolfenstein for their innovation in the gaming landscape but DOOM 2016 is something else and just shows how great an update to timeless games can be. The pinnacle DOOM on display.

12. Star Wars Fallen Order, engaging, fun mechanics, solid story and just super fun with things not overstaying their welcome in any game elements e.g. planet environment, boss battle, mechanics, backtracking, enemies. It all just flows so well and it executed incredibly well.

13. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, being a pirate the game. ACIV just drips atmosphere from the ship's hull to the sunsets and seeing an island/village to attacking a fort while just wishing to go sailing and listen to another sea shanty. Jaw droppingly good.

14. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, another fine example of modernising a brilliant game original and executing so very well. Awesome game world.

15. Max Payne 3, the attitude and mechanics interplay so well with Max.

16. Goldeneye 007, I know you can hear the music as soon as you read this.

17. Cuphead, what a passion project and so unique in the gaming world. A tough competitor to play but so rewarding. Hella fun in coop too.

18. Command & Conquer: Red Alert, the classic RTS.

19. MS Flight, my daughter and I just love going for flights around the world. A masterpiece.

20. Pac-man, pure gaming design and fun gameplay that stands the test of time and always will.

Special mentions for leaving them out:
GTAV, TIE Fighter, King's Quest, Baldur's Gate II, Perfect Dark, Diablo II, Tetris, TMNT arcade, Simpsons arcade, Top Spin 4, Mechwarrior 2, Wave Race 64, Halo 3, Banjo Kazooie, SMB3, Speedball II, KOTOR, BFII

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiceRacz

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
9. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

King's Quest, TMNT arcade, Simpsons arcade, Top Spin 4, Wave Race 64

respect GIF by Jaz Dhami