• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey is by far the worst Assassin's Creed and one of the worst games I ever played

Do you think AC Odyssey is a good game/good AC?

• It's a good videogame but not a good AC.

Votes: 125 23.9%
  • It's a good videogame and a real AC.

Votes: 174 33.3%
  • It sucks.

Votes: 223 42.7%

• Total voters

makaveli60

Nothing to do with the combat system, more to do with the dog shit player that plays the game.

level 5 vs level 5 mercenary hardest mode. I could probably overkill him 3 times over on a crit.

f42ade5dfb40bbc1616fcfa04b6f481e.gif

U can start 1 hit killing every single char after u get your first bow even on the hardest difficulty and stack assassin dmg on your gear and get the assassin talents.

The reason that guy is complete and utter dog shit is because he's probably fighting a skull mercenary that is not remotely even supposed to be killed early on or is straight up trolling with shit low level gear to push a agenda.

U can even 1 shot mythical beasts which are pretty much raid bosses if you want.

Anybody that says u can't 1 shot enemy's in odyssey are simple trolling. Yes odyssey is more complex then origin on this matter. But then origin is absolutely a full blown joke on difficulty. U can get at the start sleeping darts and basically u won the game already. Absolutely boring gameplay style. Odyssey makes so much builds possible its the most fun assassin creed i ever played combat wise . Witcher 3 is completely and utter dog shit in comparison towards it. No clue why anybody would compare it.

I have yet to encounter a game that does combat so well as odyssey, and if valhalla is expanding on this i can't wait to play it simple for the combat.
Ah, I forgot to mention the assassination animation. They even made a joke of that? Does the character hits the ass/genitals (depending if behind or front) of the enemy before assassinating? Or what does happen there?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

He hits him in the back then floors him and stabs him in the side and rips him open. Its a animation that plays when u utterly decimate the enemy. If you would stab him with shit gear another animation would play. But also different animations play its probably about 8 of them i think.

Example:

f6aba08a3fd8e9872ed53b497d324b7d.gif

Here you got a guy that plays through a base and 1 stabs everybody, also showcases all the animations.

Last edited:

makaveli60

He hits him in the back then floors him and stabs him in the side and rips him open. Its a animation that plays when u utterly decimate the enemy. If you would stab him with shit gear another animation would play. But also different animations play its probably about 8 of them i think.

Example:

Here you got a guy that plays through a base and 1 stabs everybody, also showcases all the animations.

I know the animations, because I'm playing it now, but it seems weird. Like if you are frontfacing the enemy it sometimes hits their genitals. At least that's how it looks like to me, that's why I'm asking.

Kenpachii

I know the animations, because I'm playing it now, but it seems weird. Like if you are frontfacing the enemy it sometimes hits their genitals. At least that's how it looks like to me, that's why I'm asking.

Yea i don't disagree with that, some animations are weird rather had them differently but that's in my view just polish which odyssey lacks in certain area's because ubisoft went full autistic on map size because of marketing.

manfestival

It was quite the slog. I eventually gave up at about 20 hours. The gameplay loop felt too grindy and all I wanted to do was play the story... but I couldn't cause I had to grind side missions in order to be capable enough to do anything. Otherwise I would be crushed.

scalman

its so big game i still coming back to it , i still didint finished the story .. because its just so many things around that you getting caried away so fast... i duno i love it .. but still i love Unity style moste... i wish Unity style could come back one day ... it was best for me for fighting style and motion.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was quite the slog. I eventually gave up at about 20 hours. The gameplay loop felt too grindy and all I wanted to do was play the story... but I couldn't cause I had to grind side missions in order to be capable enough to do anything. Otherwise I would be crushed.

I will say, if they took out the leveling system (which was absolutely useless because of scaling) and the loot (because it was tedious trash heaps) I probably would have made it through the game, despite my displeasure at all the other elements. That stuff just made it absolutely painful to slog through.

manfestival

I will say, if they took out the leveling system (which was absolutely useless because of scaling) and the loot (because it was tedious trash heaps) I probably would have made it through the game, despite my displeasure at all the other elements. That stuff just made it absolutely painful to slog through.
Yeah I agree. I actually liked Alexios and his constant use of the work Malaka. I found the story interesting and wanted more but could not be bothered for 40 hours of grind for 10 hours of story.

The first one was a very interesting experiment, but they really nailed it with the second one. Assassin's Creed started and ended with the Ezio trilogy for me. They've never produced a better protagonist and the overall narrative is intriguing. I highly recommend the trilogy, it's really good.

The gameplay isn't as refined as in Origins or Odyssey, but it's more than serviceable and quite fun. Even if you'd need a little bit of leniency to get into the gameplay loop, what will keep you glued is the excellent world design, the story, the characters and the beautiful soundtrack.

makaveli60

The first one was a very interesting experiment, but they really nailed it with the second one. Assassin's Creed started and ended with the Ezio trilogy for me. They've never produced a better protagonist and the overall narrative is intriguing. I highly recommend the trilogy, it's really good.

The gameplay isn't as refined as in Origins or Odyssey, but it's more than serviceable and quite fun. Even if you'd need a little bit of leniency to get into the gameplay loop, what will keep you glued is the excellent world design, the story, the characters and the beautiful soundtrack.
I agree, though Altair, Connor and Bayek are more interesting characters to me. But Ezio is cool too.

Neolombax

Odyssey is the only Assassins Creed game that I played that I did not finish. I wont say it the worst, I think its better than Origins, but it is such a slow burn game. I've deleted and re-installed this game the most out of all my games. The map is too huge with uninteresting things to do. It was such a chore getting around. Everything else I was fine with.

makaveli60

Do we really need a new AC this often?
Personally I hope they take a year off at least and reboot the series with a fully nextgen game, that could be based on the first game. They should go back to the serious tones of the original games with thought-provoking philosophical topics. Though I know that's not as marketable to the braindead masses. But at the minimum I hope the writers of Odyssey will never write again for another AC beacuse they just bring shame on it with their cringeworthy style. They don't even have respect for the historical setting in this sense either as everyone is talking like some twatter retard from the present. I don't want any more of this in AC.

Last edited:
I've only played this and Black Flag, so I can't compare it to the others. I didn't find it overtly offensive, outside of the historical revisionism which blows my mind, but I do find it too long and unfocused.

I honestly really enjoyed the game for about 3 hours. Then the game asked me to go fight a pig which absolutely slaughtered me. I died 5 times to the pig. Reload and die. To the pig.

I walked away and haven't thought about the game until today. Never doubted I had fun with it until the pig.

Alan Wake

Do we really need a new AC this often?
No. I actually think that year off was a good thing. And I think the best would be if they did the same thing but without the AC Animus stuff, which is just weird at this point. But they'll obviously never drop that successful franchise.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Now that you resurrected the thread... I have suffered through the main game, and my mind hasn't changed about it at all, it's a total hot mess. However, the DLCs were quite good (besides the writing) compared to the main game. And Valhalla is so much better that it is even unfair to compare it with Odyssey.

Andodalf

Banned
I honestly really enjoyed the game for about 3 hours. Then the game asked me to go fight a pig which absolutely slaughtered me. I died 5 times to the pig. Reload and die. To the pig.

I walked away and haven't thought about the game until today. Never doubted I had fun with it until the pig.

Don't fight the Pig then? Have you never played an RPG that has hard content available way earlier than you should actually try it?

kuncol02

Banned
The Assassins Creed games died for me when I couldn't instant kill higher enemies. I should be rewarded for a stealth kill and not forced into combat. I miss in AC games where I could stealth kill any person with the hidden blades.
You know that you can do that now?

Rudius

The options are too extreme. It has some good elements, like setting, controls, music (some), graphics, but bad ones like the grind, repetition and story/characters that desrespect History for no good (gameplay) reason, just to appease people who couldn't handle seeing how aspects like slavery would have been.

It's an okay game in the end, not the worst, but flawed.

Andodalf

Banned
It was recommended for one level beneath my level. It was by design I be there.

The content levels, but by the time you get to that you don’t have the abilities to beat it. You need to come back when you’ve unlocked more abilities. The legendary animals are all tough fights even with the right abilities and armor sets

Mojoraisin

Now that you resurrected the thread... I have suffered through the main game, and my mind hasn't changed about it at all, it's a total hot mess. However, the DLCs were quite good (besides the writing) compared to the main game. And Valhalla is so much better that it is even unfair to compare it with Odyssey.
I share your sentiments about odyssey from OP so that’s good to hear. Could only stand 10 hours of that shit. Just thought Valhalla looked a bit boring in videos which has had me on the fence if I should get it. Boring both in colour palette but also game play. What do you say?
I returned to AC1 the other day just to try it out. Played for 5 hours and still think it’s great. Less “on rails” in terms of movement/climbing than AC3 and afterwards (you can actually make mistakes that kill you) and a great story. Ezio trilogy was pinnacle but also enjoyed unity. Never played Origins. Wondering if I should take the plunge on a sale soon.

Last edited:

Outlier

I'm sorry the game hurt you, but it has Socrates in it.
I love Socrates. He's my spirit animal and the only thing that kept me playing the game. :^)

But the games too long, so haven't finished it, yet.

Last edited:

Warablo

After slogging through the end of Origins. Which was only held together by its setting. I knew I wasn't gonna like Odyssey.

I loved it, the exploration, being able to dive anywhere in the ocean, the gameplay was better than previous AC games etc. I wish the voice acting was better, they both sound like cartoon characters but there are far more things I like about it than dislike.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ready this makes me real excited for Valhalla because that's exactly how I thought about Odyssey. Now I just have to get my hands on a PS5.... Well, Valhalla will prolly be down to 30 bucks by then.

makaveli60

I share your sentiments about odyssey from OP so that’s good to hear. Could only stand 10 hours of that shit. Just thought Valhalla looked a bit boring in videos which has had me on the fence if I should get it. Boring both in colour palette but also game play. What do you say?
I returned to AC1 the other day just to try it out. Played for 5 hours and still think it’s great. Less “on rails” in terms of movement/climbing than AC3 and afterwards (you can actually make mistakes that kill you) and a great story. Ezio trilogy was pinnacle but also enjoyed unity. Never played Origins. Wondering if I should take the plunge on a sale soon.
Well, I really like the franchise so I may be biased a bit, but I seriously think Valhalla is so much better in everything. Now I don't know if it's because Odyssey was so bad or it is really that good, but it gives me that same feeling of mystery like previous Assassin's Creeds that I really missed. AC1 is my favorite so there is a chance that you might also enjoy Valhalla like me. It's still in the same vein as Origins and Odyssey, but it's not that by the numbers, side activities are quite unique. I say if you see a good sale you won't regret it.

I'm sorry the game hurt you, but it has Socrates in it.
I love Socrates. He's my spirit animal and the only thing that kept me playing the game. :^)

But the games too long, so haven't finished it, yet.
Socrates is one of the few pros of the game, so we agree there.

Ready this makes me real excited for Valhalla because that's exactly how I thought about Odyssey. Now I just have to get my hands on a PS5.... Well, Valhalla will prolly be down to 30 bucks by then.
I can only tell you the same as I told Mojoraisin, with a good sale I don't think you will regret it. Valhalla = quality vs Odyssey = quantity.

spons

Gold Member
The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I enjoyed my time with this game. When going full stealth, it's a one way trip to loading a previous save file if you accidentally get into a fight. This product is appalling from every single gameplay perspective. And weren't there boxes you could buy to speed up the game instead of having to farm materials? Jeez.

devilNprada

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I enjoyed my time with this game. When going full stealth, it's a one way trip to loading a previous save file if you accidentally get into a fight. This product is appalling from every single gameplay perspective. And weren't there boxes you could buy to speed up the game instead of having to farm materials? Jeez.

I also play all stealth.. and reset loads if I get detected..
That makes it fun for me, I can do stealth missions forever...

I also skipped through the lame dialog though, It was horrible..
Really cheesy when he flirts with guys.

Edit: OP if you hate writing don't play Bugsnax... the writing kills what would be a fun game.

Last edited:

recursive

The best thing about this game is that it's a great cure for insomnia. Struggling to fall asleep? Just turn on Odyssey and you will be dozing off within minutes. Amazing stuff.

Anyway, I have been trying to get through this game for over 2 years now and I just can't play it for that long before I start passing out. It's just become absurdly boring for me.

There is so much content in the world, but none of it is noteworthy or exciting. I am going around and knocking off tasks just to get the little check marks on my map.

My biggest issue with the game is actually the enemy design. People like to mention the Souls series as an inspiration for AC's new combat mechanics, but what sets those games apart is that you are constantly faced with completely new enemy types with each area you visit. In Odyssey? Not at all.

I feel like I have not seen a new enemy type in 140 hours and I have about 150 hours clocked. A Daughter of Artemis fights just like a Huntress who fights just like a Follower of Ares who fights just like a common bandit who fights just like a Cultist, etc etc. Why not give these different factions completely fresh and new play styles and moves that they can use against you? This way, each new area you visit will feel a little more fresh with new enemy types thrown your way.

So yeah, I won't say that the game is complete trash, but it's become an absolute snoozefest at this point. Valhalla looks a little better, at least from an enemy variety perspective. So we will see how that turns out.
Why spend 150hrs playing something that bores you so much? I would move on, life is too short and time so limited to do that.

I have not put much time into odyssey put i did really enjoy origins. Before origins i had only played AC1 to 100%. After origins I went through the rest up to syndicate but holy shit the ps4 pro version is a blurry mess. I had to give up.

Loostreaks

Can you avoid the grind and skip all the generic Ubi bullshit ( clear all the ? on map, outposts, etc)?
Few hours in, kind of still getting handle of the game.
Pros:
- Kassandra's voice acting: I like her character and attitude
- World&Environmental design
- Seems there is a lot of options with how to approach enemies/gameplay
Cons:
- Same levelled quests/enemies bs you find in MMOs: nothing I hate more in SINGLE player rpgs. It railroads the player/exploration into doing things in specific order and punishes you for doing otherwise. One guy with a higher number above his head( who looks and fights exactly the same as five other guys next to him), instant kills you for being "higher level".
- Melee, surprisingly, feels really poor. Witcher got a lot of criticism for it's combat, but this is actually far worse: very floaty feel, lackluster hits with sounds, poor hit reactions. I expected a lot better on this. ( I skipped Origins, but I remember Syndicate being better at this)
- Writing is..kind of at odds with the setting. As a huge old mythology/Greek fan, this almost feels like a parody. I like some humor in games, but it's best used in small measure. It kind of reminds me of Outer worlds, with nearly every character made "quirky" to be interesting: but it just gets annoying after a while and you stop taking anything seriously.

TriSuit666

Banned
Can you avoid the grind and skip all the generic Ubi bullshit ( clear all the ? on map, outposts, etc)?
Few hours in, kind of still getting handle of the game.
Pros:
- Kassandra's voice acting: I like her character and attitude
- World&Environmental design
- Seems there is a lot of options with how to approach enemies/gameplay
Cons:
- Same levelled quests/enemies bs you find in MMOs: nothing I hate more in SINGLE player rpgs. It railroads the player/exploration into doing things in specific order and punishes you for doing otherwise. One guy with a higher number above his head( who looks and fights exactly the same as five other guys next to him), instant kills you for being "higher level".
- Melee, surprisingly, feels really poor. Witcher got a lot of criticism for it's combat, but this is actually far worse: very floaty feel, lackluster hits with sounds, poor hit reactions. I expected a lot better on this. ( I skipped Origins, but I remember Syndicate being better at this)
- Writing is..kind of at odds with the setting. As a huge old mythology/Greek fan, this almost feels like a parody. I like some humor in games, but it's best used in small measure. It kind of reminds me of Outer worlds, with nearly every character made "quirky" to be interesting: but it just gets annoying after a while and you stop taking anything seriously.
The only things I skipped really was the factional battles, which I found absolutely boring, but there are a few of those you can't avoid.

Try and interact with as many as the main chracters you can, as your choices do have an effect on The Fate Of Atlantis DLC.

Although, I absolutely loved my time with Odyssey, I hated the present day segments and the stupid virtue signalling inserted therein.

Ammogeddon

Odyssey took longer for me to get into but ended up putting a lot of hours into it. I finished the main quest and killed all the cultists but like Origins I didn’t finish the side quests. Way too much chaff in these games. I’m playing through Valhalla and that’ll most likely be the same.

As for being an AC game is concerned, well they strayed away from that a long time ago.

Last edited:

Tg89

Never played Odyssey but Assassin's Creed is probably the worst long running AAA series out there, so I believe you. Modern Ubisoft is just an awful studio.

Last edited:

martino

Example:

maybe unpopular opinion but i enjoyed my 150+ hours playing this way.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Buying the newer AC games at a steep discount has been helpful in making me get the value out of the game. I don't know that Valhalla is worth $60 to me, but $35 was the right price.

mxbison

When they said that it's even bigger and longer than AC:Origins like that's a good thing, I knew these games are no longer for me.

GymWolf

The part that made dessey better is that the grinding was not bad compared to Origins. In Origins sometimes I had to grind 10+ Level to be able to continue with the story.
I don't remember all that grind in origins, maybe i just enjoyed the game more so it didn't felt like grinding...

Tbh the grindiness was the last of my problems, i always do a lot of side stuff in open world games by myself.

Dunki

I don't remember all that grind in origins, maybe i just enjoyed the game more so it didn't felt like grinding...

Tbh the grindiness was the last of my problems, i always do a lot of side stuff in open world games by myself.
You had to kill these 4? Leaders the Scorpion? I was level 17 or 18 and I had to be level 28-30 or so to even be able to accept the mission. Odessey did not have this. And even if there was a level difference you could still accept the Mission. That said the side stuff in Origins was pretty bad distributed in the world. I had not even ? on the map when I had to grind these level. So all I could do was to go to another area and grind there.

Top Bottom