• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Man I left my headset in the wrong spot. A ray of sun was blasting it this morning. Screen has a tiny red line thats visible in pitch black. Could be worse. On the bright side that it's not sellable anymore is that when I get my next headset Ill just keep the quest 2 for multiplayer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well I'll be damned, Facebook actually sent the replacement face cushion(VR Cover).
lWoyg6D.jpg

It took some effort to get it. Initially support responded and said that their records indicated I had already received a replacement. I told them that was impossible and to please provide the name, date, and address they shipped it to. They responded back that there seemed to be an error and they would ship it out asap.

Now of course I do own a VR Cover face cushion, but I bought it from Amazon for $30 and that shouldn't disqualify me from getting the replacement. The pack-in foam cushion was hurting my face. It would be weird and creepy if they had responded with the date I bought or received that from Amazon.

Either way, I'm happy they came through with the replacement and now I can have a normal VR Cover cushion and extra thick each on their own bracket.

I requested one and got the link to order it, so I'm just waiting for delivery now. The entire process was very smooth.

(I don't actually have any issues with the original one, but I'm not gonna turn down a nicer one for free.)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Fanatical's VR Discovery Bundle ends in about 11hrs. They have 3 tiers, but you can buy the whole bundle of 6 games for $10.

New on Fanatical is the Build your own Ultimate VR bundle. It's 2 for $9, 4 for $17, or 6 for $23.

There's a few games in there I'd like, mostly Pinball FX2 VR.

Fanatical's VR Discovery Bundle ends in about 11hrs. They have 3 tiers, but you can buy the whole bundle of 6 games for $10.

New on Fanatical is the Build your own Ultimate VR bundle. It's 2 for $9, 4 for $17, or 6 for $23.

Anything I should pick up? Nothing grabs me from that list. Already got Creed

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Anything I should pick up? Nothing grabs me from that list. Already got Creed
I haven't played many from the new bundle. From the first bundle I would recommend The Morrigan if you like Ancient Dungeon.

There's a lot games I need to catch up on. Right now I'm on a steady diet of Gun Club VR, Beat Saber, and Demeo. Signed up for Viveport yearly and downloaded 20 games to start. Good stuff.

3080 is more than enough, problem is probably with your configuration.

Although the game is a ram hog too so it could be that.
it just tested it out with virtual desktop and it worked fine

looks like the Oculus Air Link is where my issues come from, whenever i run it through airlink I get a Low GPU memory message and the game stutters alot

were u wired, air link or virtual desktop?

honestly Air Link seems the most convenient it just sucks that it doesn't work properly with games like Half life yet

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
it just tested it out with virtual desktop and it worked fine

looks like the Oculus Air Link is where my issues come from, whenever i run it through airlink I get a Low GPU memory message and the game stutters alot

were u wired, air link or virtual desktop?

honestly Air Link seems the most convenient it just sucks that it doesn't work properly with games like Half life yet

Aha. Ok, so important to note, AirLink and Virtual Desktop may have different resolution settings, and Steam saves its own resolution settings as a percentage of native, rather than as a fixed number. It also sees Air Link and VD as different devices.

So it sounds to me like SteamVR is trying to oversample to a ridiculous resolution when you're using AirLink. I would go into the menu from in the game and make sure the resolution is set to something reasonable like 1800x1900ish.

AirLink is generally smoother because it supports ASW which can cover for frame drops. So when it's not there's something amiss.

Also if you went into the Oculus debug tool and manually set resolution or nitrate settings instead of using the regular settings that can cause issues too, but I don't think that's what's happening to you.

Aha. Ok, so important to note, AirLink and Virtual Desktop may have different resolution settings, and Steam saves its own resolution settings as a percentage of native, rather than as a fixed number. It also sees Air Link and VD as different devices.

So it sounds to me like SteamVR is trying to oversample to a ridiculous resolution when you're using AirLink. I would go into the menu from in the game and make sure the resolution is set to something reasonable like 1800x1900ish.

AirLink is generally smoother because it supports ASW which can cover for frame drops. So when it's not there's something amiss.

Also if you went into the Oculus debug tool and manually set resolution or nitrate settings instead of using the regular settings that can cause issues too, but I don't think that's what's happening to you.
In steam VR i leave everything to default

works fine with steam VR and virtual desktop

air link, not so much

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
In steam VR i leave everything to default

works fine with steam VR and virtual desktop

air link, not so much
Again the same setting will produce different resolutions depending on which you are using, because SteamVR is bonkers like that. "Default" is meaningless.

Tygeezy

Good looking out on this deal! I was interested in just the Morrigan alone, and im sure ill like a few other games in that bundle.

Tygeezy

Again the same setting will produce different resolutions depending on which you are using, because SteamVR is bonkers like that. "Default" is meaningless.
Yeah, you can try dropping your resolution in device settings of the oculus pc app. I'd also run dynamic bitrate. Both virtual desktop and airlink work great for me. I prefer airlink though because of asw and being able to run a higher bitrate without network latency spikes.

Can someone reccomend a link cable? I bought this POS twice now it keeps breaking

Don't feel like spending 80 bucks for the official one if I don't have to.

harmny

Banned
Can someone reccomend a link cable? I bought this POS twice now it keeps breaking

it's cheaper to buy a wifi 6 router and you'll have a better experience i'm not even kidding. you don't even need to connect it to the internet. in fact it doesn't even need to be wifi 6

Last edited:

elbourreau

Get this one a few month later. (not branded as upgraded but yet...)

Works like a charm.

it's cheaper to buy a wifi 6 router and you'll have a better experience i'm not even kidding. you don't even need to connect it to the internet. in fact it doesn't even need to be wifi 6
oh i am mostly doing pcvr wireless. Just curious for the few games I sit down in front of the computer

Tygeezy

oh i am mostly doing pcvr wireless. Just curious for the few games I sit down in front of the computer
I bought this one and haven’t had any problems with it.

About to cop Walking Dead S&S. PCVR or Oculus native?

also confused about the oculus store on pc. Are all the games in the desktop app the link (pcvr) versions of the game? There are some I would assume are quest native but the recommended specs they list gpus and such.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
About to cop Walking Dead S&S. PCVR or Oculus native?

also confused about the oculus store on pc. Are all the games in the desktop app the link (pcvr) versions of the game? There are some I would assume are quest native but the recommended specs they list gpus and such.
I always ask myself if this a game I'd want to bring over to a friend or family member's house for a session.

IIRC, somebody here once posted a filtered list from the store that showed cross-buy titles.

RPS37

I played Trover for about an hour.
Pleasantly surprised, but I can handle Justin Roiland humor.
One thing that bugs me is the in game controller doesn’t match the quest controllers at all.

Got a link cable. Idk seems kinda of bullshit. Like I am trying virtual desktop and air link then cabled in and I am failing to see the reason to use it.

Videospel

Well I'll be damned, Facebook actually sent the replacement face cushion(VR Cover).
lWoyg6D.jpg

It took some effort to get it. Initially support responded and said that their records indicated I had already received a replacement. I told them that was impossible and to please provide the name, date, and address they shipped it to. They responded back that there seemed to be an error and they would ship it out asap.

Now of course I do own a VR Cover face cushion, but I bought it from Amazon for $30 and that shouldn't disqualify me from getting the replacement. The pack-in foam cushion was hurting my face. It would be weird and creepy if they had responded with the date I bought or received that from Amazon.

Either way, I'm happy they came through with the replacement and now I can have a normal VR Cover cushion and extra thick each on their own bracket.
I also received this. I was expecting it to be an official face cover, but it's a third party cover from VR Cover. And it says 'WARNING: This product can expose you to carbon black, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer."

Thanks Oculus.

RaZoR No1

Thanks for reminding to order/pickup. my replacement VR Cover.
Somehow I missed the email where they send me the linkt to get it for free.

BTW: I get constantly 8€ store credit for the store.. is that normal?
Is there anything good for 8€?
I already bought Virtual Desktop with the last credit I got

Tygeezy

They are increasing guarding size which is awesome. You use to have to turn off guarding and hope to not run into the street or other walls.

just went into the Quest 2's PC app and noticed that the recommended/automatic rendering resolution is 4128x2096

should i lower that for a more smooth experience in Half Life Alyx with air link?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
They are increasing guarding size which is awesome. You use to have to turn off guarding and hope to not run into the street or other walls.

This is huge to me, I'll be able to frick run around in games finally! A full wing of our home is made for this

Last edited:

Billbofet

Anyone here dealt with the black screen of death. When I boot my Quest 2, the Oculus symbol comes up, controllers sync, three dots appear (loading to home screen), then NOTHING.
I have done a hard reboot, tried to launch a game from the Oculus app, soft reboot, etc. and nothing has worked. I feel it's going to need a factory reset but wanted to see what others may have experience with this and if I can avoid having to reload everything. Thanks in advance!!!

Foilz

Banned
Anyone here dealt with the black screen of death. When I boot my Quest 2, the Oculus symbol comes up, controllers sync, three dots appear (loading to home screen), then NOTHING.
I have done a hard reboot, tried to launch a game from the Oculus app, soft reboot, etc. and nothing has worked. I feel it's going to need a factory reset but wanted to see what others may have experience with this and if I can avoid having to reload everything. Thanks in advance!!!
Yes, and on my second quest 2 unit I can't get it to go back to normal

So my Oculus Quest 2 strapped broke literally the moment i attempted to put my head in it

whats a good alternative to buy while I attempt to get either a replacement or refund my Oculus?

Kazza

Sniper Elite VR is coming out soon:

The Oculus version (shown at around 12 minutes in) doesn't look too bad graphically. A sniper game in VR sounds fun, although the lady said that some parts feel a little clunky.

Fredrik

Sniper Elite VR is coming out soon:

The Oculus version (shown at around 12 minutes in) doesn't look too bad graphically. A sniper game in VR sounds fun, although the lady said that some parts feel a little clunky.

Lol the smile combined with the sniper kill is hilarious, gaming is so messed up sometimes 😆

Synless

Has there been any new news on RE4 VR? It’s supposed to come out this year and we don’t even have a release timeframe.

Kazza

Has there been any new news on RE4 VR? It’s supposed to come out this year and we don’t even have a release timeframe.

Not that I have seen. I'm really looking forward to that one too. I just bought The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners to tide me over in the meantime (I've heard it's pretty good). I reckon we'll see RE4 sometime around Halloween, but that's just a guess.

Top Bottom