• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I vaguely remember some conversation about Viveport on here. Does anyone have experience using it with Quest 2? Seems like a good way to rip through a bunch of content and see what you like.

*edit*

Decided to just give the 14-day trial a go, and I must say this is pretty fucking cool. Especially as a Game Pass lover. I installed Fruit Ninja and Gun Club and ran them through Virtual Desktop just fine. Both amazing games. Gun Club with headphones on is a great experience.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned

Facebook is slowly becoming a monopoly of VR. I really hope the HTC headset is a good competitor with outside tracking and a decent price point. I don't want Facebook getting complacent with their market share.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Finally got around to trying AirLink.

I really like it. It's less configurable than VD and there might be use cases where you might prefer A stripped down VD configuration to minimize true latency, but the perceptual latency in VD is better and I chalk that up to ASW combined with the tracking model.

ASW also makes a lot of higher end games that have trouble with consistent frame rate a lot more playable. It's night and day for Stormland, for example.

For sure. Wireless and comfort comes first and we still have a bit to go till we're ready player one status. I'd argue fov comes up when you own the thing and start nitpicking, not having a friend play on it. Stoked for new vive announcements.

incoming downgrade for the switch, I mean, the Quest:

normal mapping lost, texture resolution and flat lighting.

but if you have a pc you're in luck. In some ways, this feels like an ad for the pcvr game out last year...

Kazza

but if you have a pc you're in luck. In some ways, this feels like an ad for the pcvr game out last year...

So, is the airlink good enough now that playing PC games wirelessly on the Quest 2 is a nice, unlaggy experience? I've just bought a laptop with an RTX3060, so I should just buy the PC version of a game whenever available and save the Oculus store for exclusives such as RE4 from now on, right?

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

So, is the airlink good enough now that playing PC games wirelessly on the Quest 2 is a nice, unlaggy experience? I've just bought a laptop with an RTX3060, so I should just buy the PC version of a game whenever available and save the Oculus store for exclusives such as RE4 from now on, right?

Yeah, totally. Airlink is a great experience, and lag is really only 5-7ms higher than wired link, most people will not be able to notice. Image quality is quite good as well, if you push the bitrate up to around 130 it looks just like wired.

A couple laptop specific caveats, though: You'll need a wired connection (ethernet) between your laptop and router while you play. You'll also want to make sure your laptop is plugged in and sufficiently cool, as laptops tend to be very prone to thermal and power throttling. Also AirLink is for playing in the same room as your router, so if your playspace is elsewhere it might not work as well.

Last edited:

Kazza

Yeah, totally. Airlink is a great experience, and lag is really only 5-7ms higher than wired link, most people will not be able to notice. Image quality is quite good as well, if you push the bitrate up to around 130 it looks just like wired.

A couple laptop specific caveats, though: You'll need a wired connection (ethernet) between your laptop and router while you play. You'll also want to make sure your laptop is plugged in and sufficiently cool, as laptops tend to be very prone to thermal and power throttling. Also AirLink is for playing in the same room as your router, so if your playspace is elsewhere it might not work as well.

Thanks. It seems like I have a few hurdles to overcome first then:
- need a USB to ethernet adaptor (laptop is small and so doesn't have an ethernet port)
- the router is downstairs, but I usually play upstairs where there is more space. I guess I'll have to play downstairs, or maybe get some kind of second router or booster
- regarding the laptop heat issue, I have been thinking of getting one of those cooling pads, but it seems to me that the fans on the pad could just end up interfering with the natural airflow of the laptop. Maybe a regular stand would be just as good.

Tygeezy

If only the switch could also play the big boy version also like the quest can.

Last edited:

RPS37

Tell me I’m not a sucker for jumping on the Star Wars bundle.
I have a feeling I won’t be playing very much pinball.

Wonko_C

I'll be skipping Star Wars Pinball VR, since the new Pinball FX platform is supossed to include VR support for every table. I won't buy the same tables twice, I'll just wait until they pop up in the new PFX.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Picked up another face cushion and bracket for $13.50 on open-box 'like new' deal. This model sells under a few brands, but this is the Hijiao 2020.

"Hijiao" on top, VR Cover on bottom
JGZYneI.jpg

It's not nearly as comfortable as the VR Cover face cushion, especially on the cheek area that I was getting pain from the standard foam cushion. A good thing about the Hijiao face cushion is that it doesn't allow any light leakage around the nose at all without having to use the weird silicone nose cover.

Last edited:
Picked up another face cushion and bracket for $13.50 on open-box 'like new' deal. This model sells under a few brands, but this is the Hijiao 2020.

"Hijiao" on top, VR Cover on bottom
JGZYneI.jpg

It's not nearly as comfortable as the VR Cover face cushion, especially on the cheek area that I was getting pain from the standard foam cushion. A good thing about the Hijiao face cushion is that it doesn't allow any light leakage around the nose at all without having to use the weird silicone nose cover.
Might cop something like this. I have a silicon cover that goes over the existing cusion. Its annoying and slips off. Need a whole replacement.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Might cop something like this. I have a silicon cover that goes over the existing cusion. Its annoying and slips off. Need a whole replacement.
I'd recommend the VR Cover model over the Hijiao. It's just wayyyy more comfortable. Hijiao seems to be a tight fit with more pressure focused on the forehead and nose. VR Cover comes with the plastic bracket and 2 cushions that use velcro to mount. I'm using the thicker one and it's great!

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I wasn’t really interested in pinball but I wanted all the other Star Wars games and it doesn’t look like they will go on sale individually any time soon so I bit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Thanks. It seems like I have a few hurdles to overcome first then:
- need a USB to ethernet adaptor (laptop is small and so doesn't have an ethernet port)
- the router is downstairs, but I usually play upstairs where there is more space. I guess I'll have to play downstairs, or maybe get some kind of second router or booster
- regarding the laptop heat issue, I have been thinking of getting one of those cooling pads, but it seems to me that the fans on the pad could just end up interfering with the natural airflow of the laptop. Maybe a regular stand would be just as good.

I use a separate router that isn’t connected to the internet for Airlink.

I have a Tp Link Ac1200 connected to my laptop by Ethernet, with 2.4ghz turned off, and the oculus connected to its wi fi signal.

This means I can have it all upstairs where I game, and I don’t have to move my main internet router. It’s pretty much flawless in terms of the link... much better than wired to be honest.

I have a cooling pad for my laptop, and it does keep temps lower during gaming.

I have a Tp Link Ac1200 connected to my laptop by Ethernet, with 2.4ghz turned off, and the oculus connected to its wi fi signal.

This means I can have it all upstairs where I game, and I don’t have to move my main internet router. It’s pretty much flawless in terms of the link... much better than wired to be honest.

I have a cooling pad for mine but I can't use it for vr gaming as all my usb ports are filled with sensors. I guess that wouldn't be an issue for the quest.

#coolstorybro

RPS37

Is this person a genius? Possibly.

I say this because I’ve always thought I couldn’t do Airlink, since I have a 5ghz router that’s far from my gaming pc.

But what if I brought a new router to the pc? Maybe genius.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

I say this because I’ve always thought I couldn’t do Airlink, since I have a 5ghz router that’s far from my gaming pc.

Lol. I saw it on Reddit, thought “that can’t be right” ...but sure enough, it works perfectly. no internet connection required.

Pick up a second hand 5ghz router on eBay and give it a go.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have a cooling pad for mine but I can't use it for vr gaming as all my usb ports are filled with sensors. I guess that wouldn't be an issue for the quest.

#coolstorybro

I was running Alyx fine at high fidelity on my ROG zephyrus with a 3070 in. No performance issues - but the laptop did feel pretty toasty, so figured the cooling pad couldn’t hurt. Certainly don’t think it’s actually required though.

Tygeezy

If you have a cable coax outlet by you pc you can run a pair of moca adapters.

SF Kosmo

Smart! This makes sense, but probably wouldn't have occurred to me.

I had to run a long ethernet cable from my living room to my bedroom (it's an apartment so this is still only like 50 feet or something), but I kind of like playing out in the living room where there's more space so it works out.

CloudNull

Banned
I read that today as well. Of course they want huge overreach to protect their feelings instead of just muting, ignoring, or clapping back themselves at mean people and kids.
Not only must companies update and patch their game they must now have an oversight board that rates the players lol. They get to decide if players have good enough behavior to continue to play their game. Shit is delusional especially for small developers.

CloudNull

Banned
Cas did a video on Demeo:

Official overview trailer:

This game looks awesome! *edit* Oh shit, this just released today!

I was just reading reviews on this.

I think I might pick this up. I have never played dungeon and dragons but have always wanted to. I am a bit worried about not being able to save mid game but I am sure they will add it soon.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was just reading reviews on this.

I think I might pick this up. I have never played dungeon and dragons but have always wanted to. I am a bit worried about not being able to save mid game but I am sure they will add it soon.
Saves would be nice since I think Cas said it took 2hrs for their first group run. The official trailer talks about competing to complete it quickly, so I'm sure once your group is familiar with it that time could be halved. Something to nag the developer for.

Last edited:
Demeo is possibly good, but a RPG boardgame is not what I want from VR.

Moving a wizard figure on a board, throwing the dice, selecting a card? Why, when I can just be a wizard and gesture spells with my own hands?

I played the first The Wizards and quite enjoyed it. The studio is now busy working on another Warhammer game, FP too. I'm checking this eventually, not sure if Quest version...

CloudNull

Banned
Just played my first run of Demeo as an archer with a bunch of Randoms. It is so much fun and I can see myself wasting tons of time in this game. I don't think I am a big fan of the archer class but there were some super fun cards. I think I will prefer mage or guardian.

Not completing a run is not very punishing and you still get exp so that is good. I am super hopeful for the future of the games.

CloudNull

Banned
Just played my first run of Demeo as an archer with a bunch of Randoms. It is so much fun and I can see myself wasting tons of time in this game. I don't think I am a big fan of the archer class but there were some super fun cards. I think I will prefer mage or guardian.

Not completing a run is not very punishing and you still get exp so that is good. I am super hopeful for the future of the games.
Just did a run with a mage and made it to the boss but had to leave because something came up for work. Holy shit is the game fun and actually difficult. This game can literally consume you...... Well done.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm about to pull the trigger on Demeo. I wonder if it's better to go with the Steam version or the Quest 2? From what I've seen it's Cross-play, and if a game is full price I'd rather have it on the Quest 2.

I'm about to pull the trigger on Demeo. I wonder if it's better to go with the Steam version or the Quest 2? From what I've seen it's Cross-play, and if a game is full price I'd rather have it on the Quest 2.
Is steam version PCVR and quest 2 all in the headset? If so wouldn't it be a lot less good lookin? I'm still sorting this all out haha.

pr0cs

Is steam version PCVR and quest 2 all in the headset? If so wouldn't it be a lot less good lookin? I'm still sorting this all out haha.
There are two versions mobile (quest2) and PCVR.
Doesn't look like you can actually get the PCVR version on the oculus store which is pretty strange. Normally I'd say getting it on the oculus store is a good idea as you usually get both versions for the price of one, in this case you will have to decide how often you want to play the game sans pc.
Clearly the pc version will look and probably play better but, you'll obviously less flexible

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm a bit confused as well, but mostly just don't want to misunderstand. On the Steam page it says "Cross-platform Multiplayer" which is Cross-play, or across different systems, but the Oculus Store just says Multiplayer.

I think Tygeezy Tygeezy said the Oculus PC/Rift version comes out in a couple weeks and might support Cross-buy. That would be cool to have, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom