• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus quest 2 noob questions

sixamp

I'm getting the new oculus quest 2 on the 13th from Bestbuy and it will be my first VR headset. I wanna use it for steam VR. All I need is a good usb c - ubs A cable and download the software from the website correct?

Does anyone currently use oculus 1 on steam with the link cable and if so how is the gameplay quality?

Updated* to correct the date

Last edited:

Rambone

I use oculus quest 1 on steam with a link cable and I like it way better than my Windows Mixed Reality Dell headset. It is smooth, looks good and works 100% of the time with no bullshit. I like it so much that I ordered the Oculus Quest 2 without much hesitation.

Last edited:
You can get a good USB-C cable, or the official Oculus cable and just plug and play. At launch, Oculus are going to be releasing some updates for it to run at 90hz as well better compression for better resolution, so you should be good to go.

Also keep in mind that there is an app on Oculus Quest 2 called Virtual Desktop. This allows you to play Steam VR on the Oculus Quest 2 WIRELESSLY through Wifi. For the best performance, you should plug in a 5ghz or Wifi 6 router directly to the PC, for best latency. There's many tutorials for this on Youtube you can find. Its really easy to do. The video linked above is good. I may not recommend this if you're a first timer in VR because you're experience will vary depending on your connection to the router, but it's something to keep in mind for the future, especially if you want to play PC VR untethered. For now, you'll be fine with Link cable. And don't forget to try some of the good Quest games that are coming out, and one that just came out is Solaris, a multiplayer shooter that looks really fun and should look great on Quest 2.

And one final note, if you find the comfort of the Quest 2 ever to be uncomfortable or heavy, you can buy the Elite Strap for $50 which greatly increases the comfort and balance of the headset.

Last edited:

Techies

From my experience, if you start with a clean PC, install Steam first, then play any game you have on there once. That will install all the core redistributables, Oculus software have this one not so known bug where the installation fails without those. Most won't experience it, because they already have steam most of the time.

That's the only "odd issue" I've encountered, that could pose a problem in rare scenarios.
After that install SteamVr to play Steam games.

Apart from that you install the Oculus Software, get the right cables and that's it. If the cable is connected Oculus will ask if you if you want to switch to the link when connected.

These are the cables I use that will give you all thee desired lengths you'll need.

Last edited:

sixamp

From my experience, if you start with a clean PC, install Steam first, then play any game you have on there once. That will install all the core redistributables, Oculus software have this one not so known bug where the installation fails without those. Most won't experience it, because they already have steam most of the time.

That's the only "odd issue" I've encountered, that could pose a problem in rare scenarios.
After that install SteamVr to play Steam games.

Apart from that you install the Oculus Software, get the right cables and that's it. If the cable is connected Oculus will ask if you if you want to switch to the link when connected.

These are the cables I use that will give you all thee desired lengths you'll need.

I use oculus quest 1 on steam with a link cable and I like it way better than my Windows Mixed Reality Dell headset. It is smooth, looks good and works 100% of the time with no bullshit. I like it so much that I ordered the Oculus Quest 2 without much hesitation.
This may sound like a stupid question but is there any expansion storage slot? The options are either 64 or 256 gigs storage. I dunno why they chose those 2 amounts. I'd really rather not have to spend the extra $100 if I don't have to but do be games take up alot of storage?

Malakhov

Banned
This may sound like a stupid question but is there any expansion storage slot? The options are either 64 or 256 gigs storage. I dunno why they chose those 2 amounts. I'd really rather not have to spend the extra $100 if I don't have to but do be games take up alot of storage?
64gb is fine, get the deluxe headstrap instead. There is no expansion storage but oculus quests games aren't that big and other games you will play via pclink

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned

Biggest game I have came across yet is 2.86 GB. Most games are still in the MB range. I feel that 256 will be for people that want to store/download videos. You can use the usb-c port for extra battery or storage.

Edit: This is for dames that are directly stored to the Quest. The more graphically intense games ran through the link are stored on the PC.

Last edited:

Techies

Depends on what kind of person you are, 64 Gig should be fine to have a couple of nice games on it, but then you get people like me who sideload retroarch and a few thousand roms. maybe a series or two, a movie.

It's also a portable cinema/android device so one can have a lot of fun with it and soon you'd wish you had 256Gig.
But for the average person, not wanting to go down that rabbit hole, it's fine.

sixamp

Depends on what kind of person you are, 64 Gig should be fine to have a couple of nice games on it, but then you get people like me who sideload retroarch and a few thousand roms. maybe a series or two, a movie.

It's also a portable cinema/android device so one can have a lot of fun with it and soon you'd wish you had 256Gig.
But for the average person, not wanting to go down that rabbit hole, it's fine.
When it comes to steam games they don't actually load on the quest, they stream to it correct?
I'm over roms, I've had tons on everything you can possibly put them on.
Being it's an Android device I can basically just drop in an apk of a and it should install?

Rambone

There are no expansion slots. I had the same quandary on what version to get, for both Quest 1 and again for Quest 2. For a new and basic Quest user, 64GB is probably going to be more than enough to get you by until the Quest 3 comes out. Quest games do not take up much space, maybe a gig and some at the most. Hopefully in a few years when the Quest 3 is a thing, it will have more space on the base version which would be your natural step up to migrate and fit your existing library with room to spare for another couple years of growth.

I have had the Quest since day 1, so I have amassed a modest library of games that had interested me and plan on picking up quite a few more games over the next two years. My Quest 1 has 128gb of Storage but by the end of the year I suspect I will be at or close to exceeding 64GB of Storage without managing my space like getting rid of demos and stuff I don't plan on playing again anytime soon which there is plenty to cull. Now that I look back at it, I wish I just went with the 64gb version and didn't spend the extra money since my Quest 1 was going to be replaced in 2 years before I got to even fill the thing up or worry about managing space...

-If you plan on loading up your quest with 3d videos to playback and having a large library of games/apps at the same time then the 256gb version is a must. 3D movie file sizes can be massive.
-If you plan on buying up a substantial number of games or the majority of the Quest library then you probably have enough money to buy the 256gb Quest otherwise the 64GB will probably carry you just fine until you upgrade to a newer Quest if they keep releasing them in such short lengths of time.
-If you plan on sideloading unofficial apps/games/files then the 64GB space might get exhausted much sooner and a larger storage such as the 256gb would be more appealing. I do believe Oculus does plan on at some point to create an app store just for unapproved apps/games. https://uploadvr.com/sideloading-quest-how-to/

Here is a useful link that references the file sizes of many of the Quest titles available on the app store to give you a good idea of just how small they are.

Last edited:

Rambone

My noob question is how much better is the index still?

Index has better refresh rates and field of view but putting those aside, here is a visual through the lens comparison between the Quest 2, the new HP Reverb G2 and the Index. The Quest 2 as you can see creeps up to the index in clarity and quality when not accounting for the index's superior refresh rate and field of view. The Quest 2 is an easy choice for those who cannot afford an Index or more expensive VR solution. That G2 however is looking a lot more impressive than either headset but Index still has the better refresh rate and field of view.

Last edited:

mango drank

Anyone know if you can just create a dummy fakename FB account for the Quest 2, or if they actually need your real name / they do some kinda cross-check / some other totalitarian bullshit? I don't use FB anymore, and I don't want to use that account for the Quest anyway.

sixamp

There are no expansion slots. I had the same quandary on what version to get, for both Quest 1 and again for Quest 2. For a new and basic Quest user, 64GB is probably going to be more than enough to get you by until the Quest 3 comes out. Quest games do not take up much space, maybe a gig and some at the most. Hopefully in a few years when the Quest 3 is a thing, it will have more space on the base version which would be your natural step up to migrate and fit your existing library with room to spare for another couple years of growth.

I have had the Quest since day 1, so I have amassed a modest library of games that had interested me and plan on picking up quite a few more games over the next two years. My Quest 1 has 128gb of Storage but by the end of the year I suspect I will be at or close to exceeding 64GB of Storage without managing my space like getting rid of demos and stuff I don't plan on playing again anytime soon which there is plenty to cull. Now that I look back at it, I wish I just went with the 64gb version and didn't spend the extra money since my Quest 1 was going to be replaced in 2 years before I got to even fill the thing up or worry about managing space...

-If you plan on loading up your quest with 3d videos to playback and having a large library of games/apps at the same time then the 256gb version is a must. 3D movie file sizes can be massive.
-If you plan on buying up a substantial number of games or the majority of the Quest library then you probably have enough money to buy the 256gb Quest otherwise the 64GB will probably carry you just fine until you upgrade to a newer Quest if they keep releasing them in such short lengths of time.
-If you plan on sideloading unofficial apps/games/files then the 64GB space might get exhausted much sooner and a larger storage such as the 256gb would be more appealing. I do believe Oculus does plan on at some point to create an app store just for unapproved apps/games. https://uploadvr.com/sideloading-quest-how-to/

Here is a useful link that references the file sizes of many of the Quest titles available on the app store to give you a good idea of just how small they are.

Thanks so much for the info are typical vr games alot of gigs? I typically don't see myself loading 200 gigs of games or apps because the unit is gonna be staying home and I would guess if I bought a game and later deleted it I could always just redownload it if I wanted to

00_Zer0

Anyone know if you can just create a dummy fakename FB account for the Quest 2, or if they actually need your real name / they do some kinda cross-check / some other totalitarian bullshit? I don't use FB anymore, and I don't want to use that account for the Quest anyway.
Do so at your own peril. What could end up happening is that once you are found out your account will be banned then you will be locked out of the Oculus store and maybe even your games forever.

I have an Oculus Rift S and ever since Facebook announced they are doing away with Oculus accounts and requiring Facebook accounts I was thinking about getting an Index, but between the price and the wait time to get one I'll be keeping my Rift S awhile longer.

Since I created an Oculus account through Rift S when I first purchased it I won't be required to register under Facebook until January 1st 2023, but any new owners of Oculus headsets will be required to login under Facebook to be a part of the ecosystem.

That gives me time to see what VR headset I'm getting next, because I don't want to be forced into creating a Facebook account just to play VR.

Edit-Also, once you create a fake account they will constantly bug you for verification. They will of course ask for an email address, then a phone number. Text Now and Text Free numbers don't work. Then if they are not satisfied with the information you give them they may ask for a valid ID. If you don't produce verification when they ask say goodbye to your account.

Last edited:

mango drank

Since I created an Oculus account through Rift S when I first purchased it I won't be required to register under Facebook until January 1st 2023, but any new owners of Oculus headsets will be required to login under Facebook to be a part of the ecosystem.
Do you need an FB / Oculus account to use the Quest at all, or just to use its store and play Oculus-specific games? I'll probably mostly be using the Quest tethered to my PC, to play Steam VR games.

Re: FB garbage, I'd honestly pay for a burner number service rather than play by FB's rules.

DavidGzz

I'm getting one and I only plan to get Beat Sabre at first. Any other must haves? I may have to get the cable to link it to my PC. Maybe my 1660ti will be able to handle that Half life game?

Last edited:

Moochi

I live in a place with little internet availability. I have to tether to my cell for all devices, including ps4, which is just awful. Do you have be connected 100% of the time, or can you just register and play things you've already downloaded?

Apocryphon

Quest 1 with Link is excellent, you will love it. Wireless via Virtual Desktop is even better, despite the slight loss of image quality. Being completely wireless is amazing.

Man this tech is like solar panels. Never feels like the time to buy as a better improved or cheaper option is always on the horizon

Romulus

I'm getting one and I only plan to get Beaf Sabre at first. Any other must haves? I may have to get the cable to link it to my PC. Maybe my 1660ti will be able to handle that Half life game?

That's plenty.

The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, Superhot, Star Wars Squardrons, Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath to name a few must haves. There's a lot at this point depending on what you like.

Rambone

Thanks so much for the info are typical vr games alot of gigs? I typically don't see myself loading 200 gigs of games or apps because the unit is gonna be staying home and I would guess if I bought a game and later deleted it I could always just redownload it if I wanted to

Full blown PC VR games can be much bigger, however for now Quest games are the size of mobile phone games, so not very big. As you can see in the link I shared in my previous post the Quest stuff is pretty miniscule. https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-game-install-sizes/. It's possible that games built for the Quest 2 from the start may end up being larger however its still going to take quite a few games to fill up your storage. So expect most games to be anywhere from 1gb to 4gb in size with 4gb being pretty generous.

Lets compare a game like Onward. On PC, Onward requires almost 11GB of storage space installed w/ updates. On Quest Onward only takes up 2.76GB, so that is a pretty dramatic difference. Lets say the average game is about 3GB (the average is much less but lets have some leg room for say exclusively larger titles), with exactly 64GB of space available you could fit 20 games give or take depending on how much they get updated. Since most games are currently under 3GB in size, I think the average user will probably be just fine with the base model unless you plan on downloading a crap ton of apps, games and content then hoarding it all up.

have motion sickness been fixed yet? I think I remember reading some headsets like the oculus is better for it. I don't know what aspects affect it like is it just the refresh rate of the panel or something else.

pr0cs

Man this tech is like solar panels. Never feels like the time to buy as a better improved or cheaper option is always on the horizon
If you have an idea that you're interested then jump in. Vr is one of those things that unless you are underpowered for the scenario it's an experience unlike anything other. Personally I'd give up flat screen gaming if I could play everything in a real 3d world. Yes it's that fun when it's done right
Any other must haves?
Superhot doesn't look exciting but in VR it's a must, sadly it ends too soon. Plus Skyrim, yes I'm sure you played it a million times already but in VR it's a whole other animal. Sitting at an npc table when their cook fire is burning smoke wafting from the fire, all the food on the table you start to question reality. Sometimes the most simple of things are the most exciting in VR
honestly pay for a burner number service rather than play by FB's rules.
Believe me, I hate companies taking advantage of their customer. Every time I have ever had problems with my CV1 Facebook has always stood by their product.

My CV1 packed it in about a year ago, I had no receipt, I told them I bought the headset used, I was 100% truthful about my scenario. They still helped me, still worked my issue and still found the headset failed and still sent me a box for no charge and replace my headset free. Yeah Facebook social is a mess but Oculus is still good and I have not been let down yet.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

That's plenty.

The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners, Superhot, Star Wars Squardrons, Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath to name a few must haves. There's a lot at this point depending on what you like.

Superhot doesn't look exciting but in VR it's a must, sadly it ends too soon. Plus Skyrim, yes I'm sure you played it a million times already but in VR it's a whole other animal. Sitting at an npc table when their cook fire is burning smoke wafting from the fire, all the food on the table you start to question reality. Sometimes the most simple of things are the most exciting in VR

Thanks, guys! That sounds awesome. I'm pretty excited! I think by the time I ordered one the initial shipments were sold out so I should expect it by Nov 2nd. November will be amazing starting with the OQ2 and then XSX, and finally my PS5 on the 12th.

Last edited:

Techies

have motion sickness been fixed yet? I think I remember reading some headsets like the oculus is better for it. I don't know what aspects affect it like is it just the refresh rate of the panel or something else.

From a refresh rate perspective, 60hz made me sick. I could not handle 60hz with the go.
72hz is fine for me, but there will be a very, very small population that won't handle it.
90hz, which it could hit via update is optimal level and in theory no one should get motion sick from a well designed experience with teleport locomotion.

I get sick from games like Dirt, with the screen shaking all the time and the turns. Then again I also got sick from the same thing in real life.

Calverz

Hey guys a noob question about quest 2. Can you do wireless link with ur pc and use the headset in another room? Or is this just too much? I hve my pc upstairs and would want to ply vr in living room downstairs.

Hey guys a noob question about quest 2. Can you do wireless link with ur pc and use the headset in another room? Or is this just too much? I hve my pc upstairs and would want to ply vr in living room downstairs.
My pc is in another room. It is ethernet linked to the router which I play in front of. Be close to the router.

Top Bottom