• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Connect 4 Discussion Thread

Thanks, added this to op under announcements :)

Thanks, added this to op too :D

its not a replacement for Rift. Check the op for more details but its a standalone headset that is weaker than the rift (& better than oculus Go) but offers wireless vr with 6DoF motion controls. For now Rift is the only PC headset from oculus which falls in line with what they were saying a few months ago that the rift will not be replaced any time soon.

They were boasting about how none of the other wireless headsets have 6DoF as they use 3DoF during the keynote. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

We still have 2 days of potential announcements but I do agree that the lack of new ip or games during the keynote was a letdown compared to the killer lineup at last years conference.

That is disappointing as I am looking forward to a new headset with much higher resolution and no screen door effect. I guess I will keep my kickstarter pledge for a new Pimax 8k VR. I'd rather not because I have to fiddle with third party software to get the thing working with Home. :(

They don't really say but I assume that the santa cruz will connect directly to the new dash and be able to play all the games I already have? Will it be powerfull enough to run them well? We'll see at least.

This year they are concentrating on increasing the mass-market for VR rather than creating a new niche high end. Santa Cruz (from everything they’ve said) is basically an Oculus Go with motion tracking and motion-tracked controllers, it isn’t something that can run PC games.

The dream is dead...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't see anything here about a Rift 2.0. It appears Santa Cruz is not a replacement. Does the Santa Cruz need a computer or Phone and can it play all the existing Oculus home games. Is there a new wireless Rift with a higher resolution incoming?

Santa Cruz is standalone and doesn’t require computer or phone. But i bet the horsepower will be similar to a lower end vr-ready PC

Lakuza

Image from the keynote comparing santa cruz tracking to 2 camera tracking like windows MR headset:
qfl7uCP.png

Guys please ...

Rift or Windows reality headset ?

For gaming, I would recommend rift or vive.

That is disappointing as I am looking forward to a new headset with much higher resolution and no screen door effect. I guess I will keep my kickstarter pledge for a new Pimax 8k VR. I'd rather not because I have to fiddle with third party software to get the thing working with Home. :(

They don't really say but I assume that the santa cruz will connect directly to the new dash and be able to play all the games I already have? Will it be powerfull enough to run them well? We'll see at least.

It seems like they are testing new tech with oculus go/santa cruz with the new lenses they were showing off. So its promising for future iterations of rift that will most likely use these.
santa cruz will not play pc vr games from what I understand.

I like the look of this Dispatch mini series
https://youtu.be/hyLqH6_ijJM

This looks really cool. Will add it to the op in the announcements section (will create a new section for it called experiences as there will most likely be more announced).

Lakuza

Melita (experience) announced for October 17 on Gear VR and Rift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrgAFA6eIRw

Space Explorers (experience) announced for 2-18 on gear vr and rift. This is from felix and paul studios who have made some really cool vr experiences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5lnRIlqBjs

Longer trailer for Unspoken: Acolytes (singeplayer campaign) which will be free dlc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz5ejPGDWjk

edit: moved blade runner into the experiences section in the op. The trailer description says "We're excited to unveil our second of three Blade Runner 2049 experiences based on the motion picture from Alcon Entertainment."

More details on santa cruz from a reddit user:

Just finished up with the Standalone talk at OC4.
  • The device is basically a high end mobile device, so you can expect a target of 150k polys and 200 draw calls.
  • From testing, tracking is really robust and doesn't seem to break even in edge cases.
  • One of the oculus devs was taken on a tour of dead and buried, in a room that was about 100m long, and tracking was solid all throughout.
  • Press are getting demos, today, with no word on developer availability.

and a preview from uploadvr:
https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-santa-cruz-full-freedom-controllers/

EDIT 2:
Updated Echo Combat details in op. Its a brand new multiplayer game in the lone echo/echo arena series, as a zero-g fps (and not a dlc expansion to echo arena)

ArtHands

I am viewing the segment about Oculus Dash. Looks great and like a command center.

This year they are concentrating on increasing the mass-market for VR rather than creating a new niche high end. Santa Cruz (from everything they’ve said) is basically an Oculus Go with motion tracking and motion-tracked controllers, it isn’t something that can run PC games.

I like this idea. Probably the best move anyway since getting it into customers hands is the most important step. To be honest what I look forward to is a cheaper PC based Oculus.

This is a very smart move.

ArtHands

They are really improving Facebook Spaces a lot, with all those enhancements.

Lakuza

some more clarification on the dev tools mentioned during the keynote from Oculus' blog:

At the core of our Social Starter kit for developers is the Avatar SDK, a full system they can carry across the Oculus Platform to add interactive and expressive experiences to a variety of apps and games. We're also opening the Avatar system to let developers contribute custom, unlockable clothing and accessories that match the theme of their apps.

Later next year, we plan for Avatars to include lip-synced mouth movement (driven by our lip sync technology, available to developers for free) and responsive eye gaze, giving you an added layer of expression.

Together with industry partners we've made MultiView available for mobile, reducing draw calls by up to 40% and freeing developers to create more complex scenes with less overhead.

Today, we opened the Explore API for Gear VR, so developers can create custom stories to boost discoverability of their content. Explore is coming to Rift in 2018.

I am viewing the segment about Oculus Dash. Looks great and like a command center.

Reminds me of the minority report a liitlem looking forward to it :D

Lakuza

been mainly tech talk right now, so little announcements at the moment but oculus usually do a recap at the end of the day with all big announcements.

Red matter was announced today though, developed by VerticalRobot (Oculus is also named too but not sure if they are the publisher or helped fund the game). Its a sci-fi vr puzzle adventure game.

https://youtu.be/FVbuJftvfuE

Wollan

Oculus Go uses LCD as confirmed by Carmack. He thinks it's better in some aspects to the average AMOLED (the LCD has full RGB). The screen switching/shutter is faster than what LCD's has traditionally had.

Wollan

Yeah Carmack sold me on the Go.

Basically it's a very 'friction-less' device:
+ super quick boot, always in the environment (still Android at the base)
+ built-in sound, even less hassle than Rifts built-in solution
+ full software-stack control (no more updates every time you turn it on)
+ no more mount phone into shell, attach earphones etc.

It takes the spot of your 'tablet' in your bag, not replacing/using your phone.

Curious choices:
LCD (see post above)
Wifi-only (mentioned that Cellular, besides cost, added friction as they wouldn't have full software-stack control)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Curious choices:
LCD (see post above)
Wifi-only (mentioned that Cellular, besides cost, added friction as they wouldn't have full software-stack control)

Wifi only is a boon in my opinion. It means no internet required mobile fuckery (which also has the additional benefit of way fewer skinner box f2p "games").

Lakuza

Curious choices:
LCD (see post above)

thanks for the summary :) I've added those points to the announcements section in op (also reformatted the oculus go specs/stats so its easier to tell whats oculus go related and whats not)

Wollan

Are the Daydream standalone headsets (w/positional tracking) still launching 2017?
Seems a little tight now without real product demonstration or anything beyond initial May announcement.

Lakuza

Are the Daydream standalone headsets (w/positional tracking) still launching 2017?
Seems a little tight now without real product demonstration or anything beyond initial May announcement.

yeah its a little strange, Feels a little late to just have a launch window of late 2017 with only so little of the year left. They may have an upcoming event that I'm not aware of though (mainly because I'm not really following daydream news)

Top Bottom