• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oct 2010 issue of Game Developer - Postmortem on Final Fantasy XIII [More Post 218]

those difficulties absolutely amaze me, considering how well Kitase and his team(s) has been able to step up to the challenges of new hardware time and time again (PS1 & PS2 development, specifically). Seems like an unbelievable lack of coordination with FFXIII... and I really have to believe that stems from upper management. See also: FFXII.

I hope they get their shit together. I actually really enjoyed FFXIII for what it was, but not even I can defend many of the questionable decisions, glaring flaws, and a clearly unfinished product.

I would love to see Kitase/Toriyama get another crack with FFXV or FFXVI- and do it with the concentrated development abilities they've (or at least Kitase has) shown in the past.

faridmon

Skilletor said:
If being unbalanced is a strike against FFT, then none of the Final Fantasy games are good.
well the thing is FF T is Tactical (or a trategy game), it should be balnced, don't uou think?

Bloody Cid and his overpowerd attacks...

Seda

faridmon said:
well the thing is FF T is Tactical (or a trategy game), it should be balnced, don't uou think?

Your spelling seriously diminishes your arguments.

Beth Cyra

faridmon said:
He did Dircted Advent Childeren and thats where all other subsequent FF games he directed have influence from. Kitase is his lapdog and Nojima is just another one.

They all are the force of destruction of the franchise.

Maybe I should call out on the Namuro team.

Last I checked Advent Children is not a game and there for has no game play so it can't be fun to play.

And there has been one game that mimics AC or tries to, 1. FF X/X-2 came before Advent Children, XII is nothing like it. Agito XIII from all looks is not a AC, VS XIII will likely be an extension of a the KH type game play given it is by Nomura and his KH team.

Also Dissidia is more like AC then XIII and given that you said you like Dissidia.

Honestly you sound more like a but hurt fanboy that wants his favorite franchise to be the way he wants it and are desperetally looking to blame it on someone and are failing terribly.

If you hate Nomura's art style, that is one thing, but given you like Dissidia and TWEWY I once again find this hard to believe, other wise you are wasting time with an argument that doesn't hold water.

Skilletor

faridmon said:

That's simple, I don't use Cid. I think it's a game that allows me the freedom to play however I want. The only things lacking a challenge are the boss battles since story fights are a set level and random battles level with me.

I can only break the game since I know what I'm doing. I'm rewarded for my knowledge of the game's systems.

But, yeah, Cid is broken.

Edit no Jutsu: Wait, you hate Nomura/Advent Children, but like Dissidia?

I'm feeding the troll, aren't I?

Well I feel sheepish...

Giolon

Overall I thought it was surprisingly bland, given the kind of conflict I imagined would have to produce a game as limited as FFXIII. However, the revelation that everybody didn't agree on the "vision" of the game until the demo was produced is pretty surprising to me.

That alone says to me that the game came out as polished as it did was something of a miracle - the demo only released like 8 months before the game released in Japan. I'm sure that it was finished some time before that, but I can't imagine it'd have been finished more than 4 months earlier than that. Even if that were the case, it'd only give them a single year to work on the game with the commitment and unity that teams need.

zoukka

I think this game was a freaky abomination. The core that was good in this series was suffocated by the overproduced storytelling and the clusterfuck audiovisual design. I truly hope they learned something from this project.

Maybe SE will transition into this millennium where game development models go. That's where Japan needs western influences. Way more so than in game design.

zoukka said:
Maybe SE will transition into this millennium where game development models go. That's where Japan needs western influences. Way more so than in game design.

Yep. Making the exact same kinds of games but with development practices that were only ten years behind state of the art would do much more for Japan's HD console output than any of the design points people bring up.

RpgN

zoukka said:
I think this game was a freaky abomination. The core that was good in this series was suffocated by the overproduced storytelling and the clusterfuck audiovisual design. I truly hope they learned something from this project.

The story got seriously bad near the end and I was enjoying it the first 11-12 chapters. Now I'm not sure if you can say that the story got this bad because they didn't have enough time, but there are other things where that was obviously the case.

I was very positive the first 11 chapters, despite missing towns and some variety. But yeah, they couldn't keep up near the end and some flaws became more apparent and annoying later on. It definitely could have been better even though I still had lots of fun with it, it was a disappointment.

But I'm not sure if they're going to learn their lesson. Honestly I'm worried about the 2 years development cycle plan, are they going to have to rush things even more and create a lesser product?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RpgN said:
The story got seriously bad near the end and I was enjoying it the first 11-12 chapters. Now I'm not sure if you can say that the story got this bad because they didn't have enough time, but there are other things where that was obviously the case.

I was very positive the first 11 chapters, despite missing towns and some variety. But yeah, they couldn't keep up near the end and some flaws became more apparent and annoying later on. It definitely could have been better even though I still had lots of fun with it, it was a disappointment.

But I'm not sure if they're going to learn their lesson. Honestly I'm worried about the 2 years development cycle plan, are they going to have to rush things even more and create a lesser product?

No they are gonna have to stop using stupid, unoptimized development plans.

RedSwirl

chaostrophy said:
It's weird how they act like this appealing to Western players stuff is new to them, when FFXII did it quite well...of course there are forum people that hate it, but it seemed to be just about universally loved by critics in the West, and had a good reception overall. Lots of freedom and exploration. I wonder why the FFXIII team didn't try to work off its template, rather than forgetting it exists.

I totally agree with this. FFXII seemed to address most of the problems that western gamers and critics had with Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general. The only thing that really failed in regards to XII was the story, and what was there even managed to have a decided different feel from your usual FF story. I even think I remember hearing on the FFXII special edition DVD that they actually looked at the things people didn't like about JRPGs.

That said, there's the problem of management that's already been mentioned here. FFXIII was a return to the "usual" team that apparently wasn't involved with the last game. Didn't they admit earlier that an earlier build of XIII was conceived on the PS2?

Top Bottom